Local Alaska Restaurant Favorites - any suggestions?

mathed101

We will be staying in the following towns and would like to know if you have any favorite places to dine?  We love eating like a local and we also like to get fresh seafood to prepare at our rental cabins. Please feel free to tell me what you like to order too!!  

Seward, Palmer, Glacier View, Fairbanks, Denali area, Talkeetna, Anchorage, Whittier

Some areas there is not a lot of options due to covid devasting businesses.  In Seward, you can go down to the marina and buy fresh fish and prepare it.  In Anchorage, 10th and M would have fresh fish as well. 

As far as restaurants, in Talkeetna, options are limited but we like Denali Brewpub.  Their food has been consistently good and the place has a fun and cool vibe.  Latitude 62 is a local place with decent food, friendly service and a unique place with a lot of photos and a nice bar.  Don't expect to find much in the way of groceries in Talkeetna so bring any food you might make with you.  

In Palmer there are people that rant about this or that place, but either food is overpriced or it's just so so.  I like Palmer Alehouse for their exceptional beer menu, but consider the food just ok.  People seem to like Vagabond Blues.  I like it for coffee and pastry.  

You won't have many option in Whittier.  

In Anchorage there are many options but it depends on what you like.  One of my favorites is Sushi Ya.  It's expensive but worth it.  It's probably the cleanest and friendliest place in Anchorage.  They serve consistently good sushi and more.  The Udon noodle soup is great.  A local favored is Moose's Tooth for beer, pizza, sandwiches, soup and salad.  Their sesame soy salad is super fresh and huge.  It's got a cool and fun vibe.  You can grab a beer or root beer, sit outside by the fire while you hang out and wait.  Don't let the number of vehicles in the parking lot scare you off.  They move people along pretty good, but don't rush you out at all.  Spenard Roadhouse is another good brewpub with consistent pub fare.  

I've never really found anyplace in Fairbanks that I would consider awesome and I've been to many places.  The food quality is good; not great IMHO.  

In Denali area (Healy) I'd recommend 49th State Brewing for the extensive menu and the cool vibe.  It's a unique place.  

• Like 1

Palmer: Palmer Ale House or Turkey Red. If you want a great sandwich, drive the extra few miles to Wasilla to Hebrew's Cafe

Glacier View: Long Rifle Lodge, Sheep Mountain Lodge or the cafe at the Grandview RV Park.

Denali area: Rose's Cafe in Healy

Anchorage: F Street Station if you can get a seat. Simon & Seaforts or Suite 100 for more upscale.

Whittier: Swiftwater Cafe

• Like 2

I am late to the discussion but will offer a few comments.

Fairbanks is the place in Alaska to go for Thai restaurants.  Our favorite is Lemon Grass which offers both authentic Thai and some Thai-Alaska fusion salmon dishes.  The historic Pump House has changed owners and brought in a new executive chef; I've been pleased with the changes.  Lavelle's Bistro is a reliable option.  And Soba, which is Moldovan, is another great choice.

In Denali we loved 229 Parks but unfortunately they no longer are in business, and the beautiful log building was sold the the Alaska Geographic Society.  49th State Brewing doesn't do anything for me; while the menu looks appealing the food doesn't match (ie their "lightly" breaded calamari is as greasy as a really bad fast food french fry).  Rose's Cafe is open for breakfast and lunch (they close at 2 PM), but the food is consistent in quality with excellent bread.

In Anchorage our long time favorite was Aladins, which again no longer exists.  

We haven't been to Seward since prior to the pandemic.  In the past we enjoyed Chinooks, but the food quality can be variable.

• Like 2

Grocery Stores

Our main stores are Fred Meyer, Carrs-Safeway, Walmart and CostCo

All are in Anchorage and Fairbanks

FM, CS and WM in Wasilla and Eagle River - no CostCo

CS in Seward

Stay away from the Walmart store on Benson in Anchorage.  It's creepy.

Fred Meyer and Carrs Safeway require a card for the discounts.  Stop at the customer service desk and get one.  They are free.  No big sign up.  Then, be careful when you shop these places; they like to do "digital" deals and regular deals.  Digital deals you "load" to your card.  Do it beforehand by looking at the weekly flyers which are online.  They also like to try and trick you by showing the lowest price, but you have to buy 5 to get the price.  Just be aware of it.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Fred Meyer and Carrs Safeway require a card for the discounts

Fred Meyer is part of the Kroger chain and Carrs is part of Albertsons. So if you already have a shopper's card for any of these, it'll work here too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Regarding grocery stores, Alaska also has a local chain named "Three Bears."  The one in Healy opened in 2017 and I understand that the family owned chain intends to expand into North Pole (outside of Fairbanks) in the next year or so.

Forgot about 3 Bears and shop there all the time.  3 Bears does not require a "discount" card.  

Really great information from all of you!!  Planning is such a big part of the journey for me and preparation is too!!  Thanks so much!

I appreciate the discount card information too!

Adding all of this information to my notes...😊 So excited!!

• Like 1

Anchorage= Moose tooth pizza, Glacier brewhouse, Gwennies old alaska are all great. 

If you would like an upscale dining experience with magnificent views you could take a road trip from Anchorage to Alyeska ski area and dine at the 7 glacier restaurant on top of the mountain. Only open for dinner but during summer it stays light very late.  Great food and views. Very memorable. 

Edited by islandchick
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...