New Crystal Inclusions

Nuka

I found I got better answers when I ask my questions in Spanish.  Every phone agent I spoke to is in Guatemala.  LOL my Spanish gets me by as I usually ask basic questions and understand the answers.

I may have asked the gal I spoke to if I can stay with the Captain.  She did say, “Si” so I guess I know where my suite is LOL.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

When I was on the Ritz CarltonYacht in December I ran into more than a dozen ex-Crystal crew. All but one said they would return to Crystal. They also said many of their colleagues/friends planned to return. Let’s hope. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, goldengatecruisers said:

I was also told the Crystal Reservations Agents are in Guatemala.  I wonder why they have outsourced the sales office as I thought it was previously stateside.

They can pay outsourced people in other countries a lot less than U.S. based employees.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LNugent said:

When I was on the Ritz CarltonYacht in December I ran into more than a dozen ex-Crystal crew. All but one said they would return to Crystal. They also said many of their colleagues/friends planned to return. Let’s hope. 

Did they say why they would return? Did they get pay from Crystal after bankruptcy for their work? Do they have knowledge of the employment conditions at the new Crystal?

Ivi

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, cruisr said:

They can pay outsourced people in other countries a lot less than U.S. based employees.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just tied into A&K's existing vendor to keep things consistent and tap their pricing volume.  Contracted call centers are pretty standard among travel suppliers, especially for lower priority call queues, like general inquiries and direct sales.

Vince

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MsCrystalina said:

I sent a request for a holiday Serenity quote.  Had a phone message left from a personable male 2 days later.    Left a message on his vm as sorry to have missed the call and repeated the questions I wanted answered.    Three days now and no callback nor even an email.    I thought I could save my TA being on hold for hours as is happening to all.      Will recheck their web site when hell freezes over to see if anything meaningful has been added.     

The rush is over.  Less than one minute to get through to reservation agent. 

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is the best and most respected blogger about any cruise line, posted 4 months ago.

The first 4 minutes are the most interesting for the past Crystal guests.

Gary is THE most knowledgeable blogger about the cruise industry and his advice is always on the mark.

Edited by Sdancer

On 2/2/2023 at 11:27 AM, Sdancer said:

The culture comes from the top - the management. 

The old crew was wonderful to guests because the crew was happy with the management which valued them and kept them happy.

Even if many of the old staff return, it is anyone's guess what kind of experience guests would turn out to have.

I have called Crystal two times in January asking when their itineraries would come, and all I got was a hard pressure sales tactic to put a deposit for Crystal yet unknown sailings. This is a new management in action.

I was told both times that if I do not put a deposit right at this moment, Crystal would be sold out any day now.

It does not sound like the old Crystal, and the new Crystal does not know the old Crystal clientele. 

I had to tell, both times, that I do not mind paying more when I actually know the itineraries.

My friend was told that the deposit was $250.

He decided to do it, but when he called that same day later, Crystal already wanted $500 - he had declined.

This is an unpleasant, disappointing experience and does not sound like the old Crystal.

I got an email from someone at Crystal thanking me for visiting their website and asking how he can help.

I replied with some feedback about itineraries and pricing. Never heard back. 

speaking of culture..

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sdancer said:

This is the best and most respected blogger about any cruise line….

Gary is THE most knowledgeable blogger about the cruise industry and his advice is always on the mark.

Really? Is this Gary’s Mum posting? 😉😂
While he is a cruise blogger opinions will certainly vary on whether he is “best and most respected”
Not sure when he last cruised Crystal 

Edited by Stickman1990

22 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

While he is a cruise blogger opinions will certainly vary on whether he is “best and most respected”

He was smart not to book after Crystal got in financial troubles - it is in the video. 

One does not have to actually cruise with each line to see warning signs of financial trouble. It is based on the expertise and life experience.

I am not an expert but it was just common sense to cancel my bookings at the first lie about Crystal refund timing, and I did not lose any money because of that.

My agency dedicated a few employees to call Crystal every day to monitor deposit refunds for all their customers and stopped booking Crystal.

I understood that the agency got refunds for everyone who booked with them.

The agency helped me to get my deposits back in full, including admin cancellation fees of $1000.

Edited by Sdancer

24 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Ten years.🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Sdancer said:

He was smart not to book after Crystal got in financial troubles - it is in the video. 

In reality these “professional bloggers” almost never pay for cruisers - they’re hosted by the line 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

In reality these “professional bloggers” almost never pay for cruisers - they’re hosted by the line 

That is why it is more compelling to hear about their negative experiences.

They get free cruises for positive reviews, not for negative ones.

You yourself have almost 5k posts though you have joined this site less than 5 years ago.

It is 1000 posts a year plus reading and reacting to the posts.

Sounds like a full time employment or a gig for the cruise industry.

I have 300 posts in 13 years - big difference. 

Edited by Sdancer
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I know a few of them.  Comped and comped and comped.  One of them, though, does do disclosure that he is on a comped trip.  Others just make it seem like they hit the lottery and are spending all the money on cruise tickets.

4 hours ago, Sdancer said:

That is why it is more compelling to hear about their negative experiences.

They get free cruises for positive reviews, not for negative ones.

And some are known to post negative reviews for when they don't get the comps they want or expect.  One fellow expected a suite and got an inside.  Guess how that review turned out.  And some lines don't comp.  Will those folks pay their own freight and give an honest review?  Ha!!

4 hours ago, Sdancer said:

You yourself have almost 5k posts though you have joined this site less than 5 years ago.

It is 1000 posts a year plus reading and reacting to the posts.

Sounds like a full time employment or a gig for the cruise industry.

I have 300 posts in 13 years - big difference.

Perhaps some people have more facts to input and share than others do.  I have over ten thousand posts - its not full time employment for me, or a cruise industry gig.  It's sharing a lifetime of accumulated knowledge with folks that need assistance.

• Like 6

Sdancer, thank you for posting the video. 

I have seen his videos before and I have found him to be knowledgeable and gives a good talks which are easy to follow.  I saw this one shortly after it was posted as a friend shared it with me.

He was right about the previous owner and warning signs, particularly as we look back and see what unfolded.

Many of us have learned a lot from the experience as we normally do in life from other experiences.

Two key lessons are which credit card company we use, and knowing that travel insurance (and the right kind) is your friend.  The devil is in the details.  And one additional one is to be more knowledeable of the companies you purchase goods and services from.  

His video does not change my thinking on any of this and I have booked with Crystal and don't feel driven to book with the largest of companies many of whom have had to implement cutbacks over the years.  What happened with the former parent company changed some of my approaches for certain purchases including our travel.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Keith

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sdancer said:

One does not have to actually cruise with each line to see warning signs of financial trouble. It is based on the expertise and life experience.

I am not an expert but it was just common sense to cancel my bookings at the first lie about Crystal refund timing, and I did not lose any money because of that.

My agency dedicated a few employees to call Crystal every day to monitor deposit refunds for all their customers and stopped booking Crystal.

I understood that the agency got refunds for everyone who booked with them.

The agency helped me to get my deposits back in full, including admin cancellation fees of $1000.

Lucky you. Our TAs were not really committed. They are not our TAs anymore 😊

Ivi