New Crystal Inclusions

Nuka

Does anyone know what is included with the booking fare?  Maybe I missed it on the site: all dining/reservations required, excusions, drinks etc;.  I didn't see it.  BTW, what is the role of a 'junior butler'?

I really enjoyed the old Crystal, but not sure of the overall product offering.  The onboard staff were what I enjoyed and hope they can bring back the vibe and congeniality.

Edited by Nuka
Spelling ;-(

5 hours ago, Nuka said:

Does anyone know what is included with the booking fare?  Maybe I missed it on the site: all dining/reservations required, excusions, drinks etc;.  I didn't see it.  BTW, what is the role of a 'junior butler'?

I really enjoyed the old Crystal, but not sure of the overall product offering.  The onboard staff were what I enjoyed and hope they can bring back the vibe and congeniality.

Many of us will be SHOCKED if they don’t bring back the vibe and geniality.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Observer said:

Staffing ships in the luxury market is a huge challenge now. I know that some Crystal veterans moved on to other lines. Perhaps a number of others have loyally waited for the relaunch.

All those crew members have time specific contracts with their new lines. It seems that many will be returning to Crystal when those contracts end.

Patty

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Observer said:

Staffing ships in the luxury market is a huge challenge now. I know that some Crystal veterans moved on to other lines. Perhaps a number of others have loyally waited for the relaunch.

Ditto AtA's response.

To no surprise an incredible number of crew will be returning. 

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2023 at 11:17 PM, Nuka said:

At present time the website is not all that is included with the booking fare and in the respective rooms.  Not sure what the role is of a junior butler.

What I can say about the on-board staff is like others on this board I do hear from many of them regularly and with very few exceptions they tell me they are coming back.  How many is anyone's guess so let's see but I am very excited that the ones who told me they are coming back will be there.

Keith

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

At present time the website is not all that is included with the booking fare and in the respective rooms.  Not sure what the role is of a junior butler.

What I can say about the on-board staff is like others on this board I do hear from many of them regularly and with very few exceptions they tell me they are coming back.  How many is anyone's guess so let's see but I am very excited that the ones who told me they are coming back will be there.

Keith

That is reassuring to read that the staff is returning. On my first Crystal cruise, I thoughr this is a special place since so many of the frontline guest facing crew had been with Crystal for many years.

11 hours ago, saminina said:

Barman on SS contract with his own suite on new ship and skeptical of the Manfredi portion of the new Crystal.   Just like passengers, some crew will wait for the reviews to come in.

Indeed,Manfredi does have a certain reputation amongst crew.

The culture comes from the top - the management. 

The old crew was wonderful to guests because the crew was happy with the management which valued them and kept them happy.

Even if many of the old staff return, it is anyone's guess what kind of experience guests would turn out to have.

I have called Crystal two times in January asking when their itineraries would come, and all I got was a hard pressure sales tactic to put a deposit for Crystal yet unknown sailings. This is a new management in action.

I was told both times that if I do not put a deposit right at this moment, Crystal would be sold out any day now.

It does not sound like the old Crystal, and the new Crystal does not know the old Crystal clientele. 

I had to tell, both times, that I do not mind paying more when I actually know the itineraries.

My friend was told that the deposit was $250.

He decided to do it, but when he called that same day later, Crystal already wanted $500 - he had declined.

This is an unpleasant, disappointing experience and does not sound like the old Crystal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sdancer said:

The culture comes from the top - the management. 

The old crew was wonderful to guests because the crew was happy with the management which valued them and kept them happy.

Even if many of the old staff return, it is anyone's guess what kind of experience guests would turn out to have.

I have called Crystal two times in January asking when their itineraries would come, and all I got was a hard pressure sales tactic to put a deposit for Crystal yet unknown sailings. This is a new management in action.

I was told both times that if I do not put a deposit right at this moment, Crystal would be sold out any day now.

It does not sound like the old Crystal, and the new Crystal does not know the old Crystal clientele. 

I had to tell, both times, that I do not mind paying more when I actually know the itineraries.

My friend was told that the deposit was $250.

He decided to do it, but when he called that same day later, Crystal already wanted $500 - he had declined.

This is an unpleasant, disappointing experience and does not sound like the old Crystal.

How right you are.

As I recall,Crystal rarely sailed full.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

How right you are.

Rarely does not fit my experience of close to 120 sailings with Crystal.

I sailed on many more where occupancy was at 90 to 100 percent versus those where occupancy was low.

And with a third birth some of those high occupancy cruises during the holidays and spring break/summer were above a full ship with double occupancy.

Keith

On 2/1/2023 at 9:16 AM, Texas Tillie said:

All those crew members have time specific contracts with their new lines. It seems that many will be returning to Crystal when those contracts end.

Patty

If they have to wait for previous crew to end current contracts, who will staff the ships until those contracts end?  And will Crystal fire the new staff to bring back the oldies?  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

If they have to wait for previous crew to end current contracts, who will staff the ships until those contracts end?  And will Crystal fire the new staff to bring back the oldies?  

Most contracts are for 3-6 months, so it should be a reasonably smooth transition for most crew who wish to change over to Crystal.  The overlap may not be perfect, but with short contracts like this, it shouldn't be a major obstacle.

With the reduced passenger capacity on both ships, this will also lead to a reduction in the total amount of crew for both ships. Therefore - many, most, an incredible amount - I would assume that 200 of that incredible amount I’ll not be returning.

New Crystal posted "GUEST TO SPACE RATIO 1 TO 93.1 CU FT" (?!). 

Am I missing something? Sorry, somehow burial mausoleum sizes come to mind :).

I would rather have "guest to staff ratio".

Edited by Sdancer

10 minutes ago, Sdancer said:

New Crystal posted "GUEST TO SPACE RATIO 1 TO 93.1 CU FT" (?!). 

Am I missing something? Sorry, somehow burial mausoleum sizes come to mind :).

I would rather have "guest to staff ratio".

Some guests expect to have their bags unpacked, their baths drawn, and cosseted white tablecloth course-by-course room service (from different specialty restaurants)  served on their veranda. Others are happy with canapés at 5 and see you tomorrow. I’m in the second camp, which is why my butlers always tell me to specifically ask for them next time. 

Edited by Cruise-y
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

How right you are.

Yes, you are correct - only once I was on a wait-list (during one summer sailing), the other times I was upgraded up 1-2 grades because the sailings were not full.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Excellent point.

This is what I do know.

They have already  reached out to all members of the crew i to find out if they want to return and timing.  Some are needed now.  Others not until closer to sailings. For most contracts should not be an issue as they have long lead times before when they would be needed before the actual saplings begin.  It should time out well for the vast majority of those who want to return.

Should timing not work out for those who eventually want to return turnover would allow opening to occur as they have in the past.

Keith

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

. For most contracts should not be an issue as they have long lead times before when they would be needed before the actual saplings begin.  

Keith

One of the Best, and most appropriate, typos ever:  A New Crystal will grow from its SAPLING!  😄

• Haha 9

I called Crystal this morning and had a few questions.

The vacation planner who took my call was new and could not answer a single question.

She tried to answer but she did not even understand my very simple questions. She did not sound like she had any knowledge about the cruising industry. All she knew to reply was that whatever I asked would be determined close to sailing (?).

I asked to talk to someone from the old Crystal that I could ask what had been changed but there was no one, no one, at their new office in Florida (old HQ were in Los Angeles).

I asked to talk to a manager or a supervisor: "not available".

This vacation planner did not have my record, did not care to access it or did not know how to do it (I called from the phone on-file and also gave my name)

She took my phone number, and someone was going to call me some time  (some day?) :).

It was quite pitiful. I felt sorry for her being so new and not being trained properly to do her job. 

This is your new Crystal claiming 30 years luxury cruise experience.

Edited by Sdancer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sdancer said:

I called Crystal this morning and had a few questions.

The vacation planner who took my call was new and could not answer a single question.

She tried to answer but she did not even understand my very simple questions. She did not sound like she had any knowledge about the cruising industry. All she knew to reply was that whatever I asked would be determined close to sailing (?).

I asked to talk to someone from the old Crystal that I could ask what had been changed but there was no one, no one, at their new office in Florida (old HQ were in Los Angeles).

I asked to talk to a manager or a supervisor: "not available".

This vacation planner did not have my record, did not care to access it or did not know how to do it (I called from the phone on-file and also gave my name)

She took my phone number, and someone was going to call me some time  (some day?) :).

It was quite pitiful. I felt sorry for her being so new and not being trained properly to do her job. 

This is your new Crystal claiming 30 years luxury cruise experience.

Crystal travel "advisor" assured me that Crystal would find an old Crystal employee to call me back 

sometime that day. 

The office was closed long time ago. 

Why I am not surprised that no one from Crystal called as was promised?

I am done with the Crystal for now. I will wait and see for a year or two and then decide if I want to come back ... or not :).

Meanwhile I am booking on two different cruise lines, one is very familiar to me (9 past cruises) and one new.

Edited by Sdancer
  • Like 3

I sent a request for a holiday Serenity quote.  Had a phone message left from a personable male 2 days later.    Left a message on his vm as sorry to have missed the call and repeated the questions I wanted answered.    Three days now and no callback nor even an email.    I thought I could save my TA being on hold for hours as is happening to all.      Will recheck their web site when hell freezes over to see if anything meaningful has been added.     

• Like 1