Captain's Corner

emen822

Hi all -

I'm going on the Allure later this month and was wondering if the Captain's Corner (talks) have resumed on any ships?  I know they stopped during Covid (or at least weren't on any of the cruises I sailed in 2021-22).  I always find them so interesting.

TIA!
Mary 😀

2 minutes ago, emen822 said:

Hi all -

I'm going on the Allure later this month and was wondering if the Captain's Corner (talks) have resumed on any ships?  I know they stopped during Covid (or at least weren't on any of the cruises I sailed in 2021-22).  I always find them so interesting.

TIA!
Mary 😀

They've been on all of my recent cruises

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gumshoe958 said:

They can be interesting, if the right questions are asked.

But there’s always someone who has to ask “who’s driving the boat?”

Agreed but we zone out when someone asks about the engines

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately we didn't have the captain's corner on my recent Allure cruise.  I actually saw the captain one day in the hallway and asked...he said these things are slowly coming back.  🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 1

Captains Corner was on all 3 of my post COVID cruises - Wonder, Odyssey & Oasis. I missed it on Wonder (only sea day on a port intensive itinerary & newest ship) but went to the other two. Odyssey was great, Oasis had it's fair share of silly questions. Always a good event especially if you have someone like Captain Gus Andersson, Captain Johnny Faevelen or Captain Sindre Borsheim, shame if some ships aren't offering it.

Only cruise which didn't have it was Anthem several years ago early in her time at Bayonne, and that particular Captain just didn't seem interested in engaging with guests.

I am glad they don't do it in the AquaTheater these days though.

Edited by GlasgowCruiser01

Last year on the Adventure they held this event called "Mingle with the Officers" on sea days.  For an hour, a number of officers from different departments would hang out by the Cafe Promenade and one could walk up and strike up a conversation.  It was unformal and really cool.  We spoke with an officer from housekeeping on the ship during the pandemic.  He told us, him and his few people that worked for him would go around the ship and run the water and flush toilets in every cabin and venue.  It would take them a week to do the entire ship turning every tap on for 3 minutes.  Once done, they started again.  Things like that we found really interesting.  Haven't seen this on recent sailings though.

Edited by Magicat
  • Like 1

I think it depends on the Captain.  Was on the Odyssey in November and there was one.  The captain was very outgoing and made at least one announcement every day and had a great Captains Corner on the last day.  He was also out and about a lot.

Was on the Allure in December and there wasn't one. And you didn't hear much from the Captain during the cruise.  Or see him much either.

Captain Marek was awesome with ours last year (I hope we fall on his schedule again this year) on Radiance, but the "why is the internet horrible in Alaska?" and "why can't we do _____ after covid?" questions were super lame and a waste of time 🙂

He was also SO AWESOME with his announcements every day and making the late passengers "infamous".  He even called them out when he was performing on the last night with the band 🙂 

ON Allure last year the captain was Rick from Canada and he kept well hidden except for the rising tide during the veteran's salute.  I found him to be interesting in his daily announcements though.

One of the best Captain Corner in recent years was early on when Wonder was in PC before going to Europe.  The takeout captain was Rob H and he gave a great talk and then met with folks afterwards.

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

It's so great when there are captains that have a personality. Unfortunately many times there aren't and can barely give the weather announcements.

Some captains don't even do that. Never heard any announcements from Captain Tore Grimstad during my Oasis NYE cruise, only saw him at the Captains Corner and other events on the last sea day.

They don't seem to do it on the Med itineraries either. I had Captain Henrik Loy on Explorer and Wonder 10 years apart and he was around plenty on Explorer and made announcements but was invisible on Wonder. I wondered if they cut back on announcements in itineraries with higher numbers of guests who don't speak English.

Captains don't make or break it for me but the 3 Captains I mentioned in an above post definitely added to my cruise because they set the tone for their respective ships.

Edited by GlasgowCruiser01