Paying Cash Gratuities Directly to Staff?

radarcruiser

Just now, clanger said:

We reside in the UK (we do understand the general principle of tipping) and always tip bar tenders/ servers/ cabin stewards etc but would never remove the gratuities being only too aware of all the hard working individuals behind the scenes that ensure that our cruise is a good one. We understand that the gratuities are part of what we sign up to and would not remove them.  Thankfully not everyone from the UK follows your actions and do recognise the hard work that the staff put in for all of us and therefore would not penalise them because of the way that they interpret company policies.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, prmssk said:

What you describe I have only seen with NCL’s Free at Sea which doesn’t apply to Celebrity. 

Celebrity’s AI package is all or nothing. Either you get the beverage package, Wi-Fi, and included gratuities or you book cruise only and don’t get any of that included. The price difference between the two fares can be significant. 

That's quite possible!

We did look at a lot of other options before booking with Celebrity. Originally we we're going to Book MSC, but missed the sale! So we looked at all other options, after awhile they all kind of blend together!.

4 hours ago, D C said:

Imagine the opposite.  Being from the US in the UK when your credit card doesn't even have a chip on it! Standing in Waterloo station in London, wanting to buy a train ticket from a machine that can't read a magnetic stripe was good fun.  😲 Thankfully my brother happened to have a chip card with him (this was 2014).   It was amusing though, showing the young restaurant servers where the magnetic swipe slot was on their handheld.  Most had never even realised it was there.  😅

Oh the joys of travelling and experiencing other cultures. Also a great, if unintended tip, " travel with a brother who is happy to use his credit card on your behalf."😂

Over the years I've made an observation.     Most people that remove the tips do not do it so they can give it to the individuals that served them.     I've noticed so they can pocket it an not tip all.

Back in the days with envelopes I use to notice some of our most difficult tablemates decide to to to the Buffet on the last night -  It was so obvious that we knew the intention was to stiff the wait staff.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Over the years I've made an observation.     Most people that remove the tips do not do it so they can give it to the individuals that served them.     I've noticed so they can pocket it an not tip all.

Back in the days with envelopes I use to notice some of our most difficult tablemates decide to to to the Buffet on the last night -  It was so obvious that we knew the intention was to stiff the wait staff.

Agree. And IMO, that's is one of the reasons behind Celebrity going to auto gratuities. Which I prefer to stuffing envelopes. One reason we like AI and the program before that. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've noticed so they can pocket it and not tip all.

I use to notice some of our most difficult tablemates decide to to to the Buffet on the last night -  It was so obvious.

Agree 1000% ----and , if you might have read some of my previous posts, it really bothers me when people remove Gratuities.

Perhaps your post might read " not tip any "---instead of "not tip all ".

And your --- "I use to notice some of our most difficult tablemates decide to to to the Buffet on the last night -  It was so obvious ".

Again, it's the old " We're not hungry ---- We ate so much during the cruise I can hardly get into , etc, etc---- We better just take it easy , have a quick bite and pack our bags ".

Hint------They "decided" to go to the buffet on the last night of the cruise 10 minutes after booking the cruise !!!

( For you Trolls out there---- Not necessary to tell me " it's not your business what anyone does" ).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Agree 1000% ----and , if you might have read some of my previous posts, it really bothers me when people remove Gratuities.

Perhaps your post might read " not tip any "---instead of "not tip all ".

And your --- "I use to notice some of our most difficult tablemates decide to to to the Buffet on the last night -  It was so obvious ".

Again, it's the old " We're not hungry ---- We ate so much during the cruise I can hardly get into , etc, etc---- We better just take it easy , have a quick bite and pack our bags ".

Hint------They "decided" to go to the buffet on the last night of the cruise 10 minutes after booking the cruise !!!

( For you Trolls out there---- Not necessary to tell me " it's not your business what anyone does" ).

Pinboy & Jim_lain, I totally concur with your observations!!  And have made my own observations.  Having relied on tips in "a prior life", the expectation of some cruisers to be provided outstanding service by wait & cabin staff but not want to tip, (to wit:  removing gratuities from their account) sends me into the stratosphere!!

• Like 5

21 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree. And IMO, that's is one of the reasons behind Celebrity going to auto gratuities. Which I prefer to stuffing envelopes. One reason we like AI and the program before that. 

We still use Auto-Gratuities and stuff envelopes on top of that for special deserving staff.  The difference is that now we have to ask for the envelopes at Guest Services.  They used to just have them out on the last couple of days of the cruise.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2023 at 10:38 AM, TeeRick said:

We still use Auto-Gratuities and stuff envelopes on top of that for special deserving staff.  The difference is that now we have to ask for the envelopes at Guest Services.  They used to just have them out on the last couple of days of the cruise.

If you don't want to line up at Guest Services, why not pack a few envelopes?  We do (because I am not keen on lines when I am on vacation 🙂. )

31 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

If you don't want to line up at Guest Services, why not pack a few envelopes?  We do (because I am not keen on lines when I am on vacation 🙂. )

There aren't always lines at Guest Services so we just pay attention as we walk by the last few days and stop in when no one is there.  If we are in the Retreat, the concierge is also always happy to give us envelopes.  

Surprisingly enough, I had picked up envelopes from the Suite Concierge on Quantum but then found some our stateroom attendant left in the room as well.  

There is also an 'additional gratuties' form you can use to give tips to individuals and venue's, we have used it for the Coastal Kitchen staff, that is available from Guest Services. Any tips you give using this form are charged to your onboard account and it is how we use any excess OBC or if we run short of cash.  

5 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

We save the envelopes we get with the invites from the  art Auctions etc. If that's not enough Guest Relations has envelopes every day and is  empty from around 10pm.  

11 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

Yes but that is a simple thing that I often forget to pack!😁

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Surprisingly enough, I had picked up envelopes from the Suite Concierge on Quantum but then found some our stateroom attendant left in the room as well.  

There is also an 'additional gratuties' form you can use to give tips to individuals and venue's, we have used it for the Coastal Kitchen staff, that is available from Guest Services. Any tips you give using this form are charged to your onboard account and it is how we use any excess OBC or if we run short of cash.  

Good to know.  We tend to not have any left-over OBC.😀

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Isn't that funny? No matter how much OBC I have, it all seems to get spent.

LOL--- So, You are not the person that set up the thread asking:

"What should we do with the OBC we haven't used " ??

I'm waiting for a thread :

" Can we add the $17 left on our OBC to the $ 800 OBC we have on our next cruise in 2025 " ?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

" Can we add the $17 left on our OBC to the $ 800 OBC we have on our next cruise in 2025 " ?

Trust me that or similar has been asked and answered multiple times.  Also same for left over from first leg to second leg of a B2B. 

22 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Trust me that or similar has been asked and answered multiple times.  Also same for left over from first leg to second leg of a B2B. 

Really ?? Why not just leave it for a Staff member ?

Come to think of it, there are several threads that appear very often.

LOL--- My favorite ----  " Anyone know who's the , etc etc on our cruise in 2026 " ?

I'm waiting for some new " stuff " like:

" What should I do with the 257  trinkets with "uplifting scriptures" I brought as gifts that nobody wanted " ?

" Are slot machines " fixed " ?

" If we pay for a meal or 4 in a Specialty Restaurant, will Celebrity refund the price of our meal(s) from the MDR that we paid for in the price of our cruise ----and, didn't even eat" ?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Isn't that funny? No matter how much OBC I have, it all seems to get spent.

Oh! Thank you for relieving me of the tremendous guilt I had about spending all that OBC...I feel so much better now!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

LOL--- So, You are not the person that set up the thread asking:

"What should we do with the OBC we haven't used " ??

I'm waiting for a thread :

LOL...  or listen in when the desk tries to explain the difference between refundable and non-refundable OBC.  I actually heard husband say to wife afterward "well, you'd better go buy some of that crap you wanted" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We do exactly the same thing but now that we do Anytime Dining, the waiters and such don’t seem to be getting any “special” tips.  Usually it’s just the room steward and maybe a drink waiter or waitress that gets it