How Long before Sail Date do you book HAL Excursions

Kenato

33 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

Book the moment after we decided. Interesting excursions too often sold out.

I do that too. I start looking at excursions as soon as I have booked the cruise. If I see ones I really want to do I'll book them right away. I'm cruising in July and have just booked 3 ship ones and 1 private one already. 

• Like 1

We research the ports and what seems interesting at each. We then look at private tours that others have reviewed and finally when HAL posts its excursions we look to see if any of them hit our interests. Except for a few (watch the fine print) you can cancel and get refund to credit card days before boarding so better to book earlier and get a spot and change it later. 

Some HAL tours sell out so book early. They can also increase price on board, even if new spots open after being full. 

We prefer local/private tours. Of course changes in itinerary, late arriving and missed ports put a wrench in planning private tours so finding a guide that is flexible and low deposit is key, today. 

For Alaska cruises, any excursions that involve flying, or smaller boats, have limited seats so booking ASAP is required.  FWIW most of my May Alaska cruise excursions are sold out.

Booking excursions after boarding will get you on a waitlist or the least desirable excursions.

• Like 1

We always wait until we’re onboard. If it’s sold out we’ll waitlist. Who knows how we’ll be feeling or what we want to do so far out? We can always walk the town and explore - wherever we are. We usually always find a good place for lunch when exploring.

4 hours ago, REOVA said:

We research the ports and what seems interesting at each. We then look at private tours that others have reviewed and finally when HAL posts its excursions we look to see if any of them hit our interests. Except for a few (watch the fine print) you can cancel and get refund to credit card days before boarding so better to book earlier and get a spot and change it later. 

Some HAL tours sell out so book early. They can also increase price on board, even if new spots open after being full. 

We prefer local/private tours. Of course changes in itinerary, late arriving and missed ports put a wrench in planning private tours so finding a guide that is flexible and low deposit is key, today. 

I research the ports, too. I tend to book cruises early, and ship's tours aren't available to purchase yet. If I can, I will find a similar cruise on HAL's website to get an idea of some of their tours. I don't do a lot of private tours. For me, it's ship tour if distance/logistics are difficult for independent touring, or just wandering in port on my own. 

I've booked four tours for my Oct Nothern Lights (Norway) with Cunard. Some of those tours are sold out already. 

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

For Alaska cruises, any excursions that involve flying, or smaller boats, have limited seats so booking ASAP is required.  FWIW most of my May Alaska cruise excursions are sold out.

Booking excursions after boarding will get you on a waitlist or the least desirable excursions.

Just need to watch the cancelation times on those. They differ than the usual 48 hour. 

• Like 1

With most people onboard these days having the HIA package if there is something you want to do get it booked as soon as you make up your mind.  On Hawaii/South Pacific  bookings this is especially true as the Islands are limiting tourism and the less expensive, easy tours will sell out early.  If your preferred tour is sold out, waitlist and pay for the tour.  You can be reimbursed onboard if you want to use HIA to cover it.    

For my upcoming cruise with a group we booked as soon as excursions became available since we wanted, for the most part, to stick together. You can always cancel and re-book if something more suitable appears closer to sail date.

Checking emails, at least one was booked almost 8 months in advance of sailing.

The past year has seen many sellouts.  Tour companies went out of business during Covid or lost personnel.   Usually I am fairly lazy about excursions but in remote places like Alaska which rely on a seasonal crew it is better to be early.   Also for the most popular “exotic” excursions the cruise lines have contracted all of these coveted spots.  

Edited by Mary229

Infrequent ports for HAL are ports to book early.  Our October 2023 cruise that has two stops in Israel had the overnight shore excursion fill up more than a year out.  I got on the wait list, and luckily a few spots opened up.   It was a port that I preferred to be on a HAL tour as we were going far from port and an overnight in Jerusalem. 

Kenato, smart move.  We have a 29 day TA & United Kingdom coming up in May.  Been booked since last year.  Waited until January of this year to book HAL tours - big mistake!!   We are on at least 5 WL.  So mad at myself!     Also noted - Before COVID there were so many tours to choose from in each port.  Now HAL has maybe 4 or 5.    Lesson learned.  We have long cruise coming up in September -  looking at those now!

Enjoy your cruise!