GABRIELLE

Hogbay

On board Luminosa as I type. We didn't quite get a glimpse of NC before we turned around and headed straight back the way we came. Then cruised down to just south of Port Macquarie and turned around again heading back to Brisbane for an early Sunday docking. A new kind of mystery tour! Apart from some usual minor swell and winds now and then, no bad weather yet 🤞🏻

Screenshot_20230210_143454.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

And Norfolk Island is in the firing line.

Yes Les, I saw earlier on FB post by NI:

Tropical Cyclone Gabrielle Blue Alert.
The tropical low has now developed into a Tropical Cyclone named Gabrielle. Current tracking indicates that it will come very close to the island late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.
It is forecast to be a category 2 cyclone when approaching the island with wind gusts up to 120 km/h developing Saturday morning and with gusts up to 140 km/h later Saturday, potentially persisting to Sunday morning.
EMNI met today and has moved to a Blue alert under the Cyclone response plan. If the cyclone stays on its current track we will move to a Yellow alert tomorrow. Please ensure you are making preparations consistent with the Cyclone Warning Alert Action plan

Hope they all remain safe!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Megan4350 said:

On board Luminosa as I type. We didn't quite get a glimpse of NC before we turned around and headed straight back the way we came. Then cruised down to just south of Port Macquarie and turned around again heading back to Brisbane for an early Sunday docking. A new kind of mystery tour! Apart from some usual minor swell and winds now and then, no bad weather yet 🤞🏻

Screenshot_20230210_143454.jpg

Hi did you disembark anywere ? How long was your cruise? 

25 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

We have had a busy day clearing drains, tidying loose objects, buying batteries and generally preparing a welcome for Gabrielle

What time is Gab coming? Hope she don't make a mess  

2 hours ago, Hogbay said:

What time is Gab coming? Hope she don't make a mess  

It's supposed to hit Northland on Sunday, then Auckland, Coromandel, Waikato, Bay of Plenty and Gisborne on Monday & Tuesday.  We will probably be okay in the Bay of Plenty, I'm just being cautious.  It's the Coromandel Peninsula and the East Cape that are supposed to take the worst hammering.  It's all mathematical models, of course, so no one knows for sure where it will land, or indeed if it will land.  Let's hope it tracks further east than expected and just heads out to sea.  

Edited by onlyslightlymad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

Auntie reports from the Coral Princess that they are skipping Napier and sailing straight for Wellington. The seas are already a bit rough. 

That's sensible. Napier isn't as sheltered a harbour as Wellington - as long as they avoid Barrett Reef on the way in. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 5:17 PM, lissie said:

I totally understand going north in the winter - when its not cyclone season!  And yes no reason to go to SA /Tassie from May to October - same as NZ - far too miserable 

There are no cruises in NZ from May to October 

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's sensible. Napier isn't as sheltered a harbour as Wellington - as long as they avoid Barrett Reef on the way in. 

Unlike the interislander ferry that nearly ended up on it a few weeks ago after an engine failure 

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Watched that yesterday,  one tree down and 3 banana plants damaged.......Tracy flatten Darwin . Quantum tracking north off Nowra 10kn apparent wind , all decks open ,pools full of water . No lashing on deck chairs . Seas slight low swell.!!! 

53 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Watched that yesterday,  one tree down and 3 banana plants damaged.......Tracy flatten Darwin . Quantum tracking north off Nowra 10kn apparent wind , all decks open ,pools full of water . No lashing on deck chairs . Seas slight low swell.!!! 

I may be wrong, but I don't think Australia is in the firing line for this one.

image.png

• Haha 1

Gabbie is behaving like mask-phobic banshee woman - Northland and Auckland have been "upgraded" to red warning status, some people have lost power and trees are down - I can only imagine how worrying it is for those in flood prone areas or perched on cliffs -

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/cyclone-gabrielle-hits-north-harbour-bridge-likely-to-close-coromandel-warns-some-residents-to-leave-early/YLMV73I5OJBP7ODQQTIO6IMKQU/