GABRIELLE

Hogbay

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I don't even understand why cruise lines advertise cruises into the cyclone zone during cyclone season 

Because they need to offer variety in the itineraries, plus a lot of people want tropical cruises where they can lay by the pool and sip cocktails. Usually only a very small number of cruises are affected by cyclones.

However I'd love to see more winter cruising from Brisbane and Sydney to South Pacific and Queensland ports. The Queensland itineraries were very popular when cruising restarted last year, but no South Australia / Tasmania itineraries please - sitting at Station Pier for three days was a bit tedious!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Royal caribbean offer is 0 . But they are sorry.

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I don't even understand why cruise lines advertise cruises into the cyclone zone during cyclone season 

Been cruising since 1983 and the "cyclone season " has very little effect on cruising , Beatles and medical emergencies have a far greater effect.. 

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Because they need to offer variety in the itineraries, plus a lot of people want tropical cruises where they can lay by the pool and sip cocktails. Usually only a very small number of cruises are affected by cyclones.

However I'd love to see more winter cruising from Brisbane and Sydney to South Pacific and Queensland ports. The Queensland itineraries were very popular when cruising restarted last year, but no South Australia / Tasmania itineraries please - sitting at Station Pier for three days was a bit tedious!

I totally understand going north in the winter - when its not cyclone season!  And yes no reason to go to SA /Tassie from May to October - same as NZ - far too miserable 

• Like 2

Re Cyclone Gabrielle, NZ weather forecasters are predicting it will hit North Island of NZ, Sunday/Monday.  Probably a few more ships in that area might try and miss it.  Pacfic Explorer and Arcadia are in the region early next week.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is predicted to still be at CAT 3 at Brisbane's latitude and passing over Norfolk Island at CAT 2. A beast best avoided. NZ doesn't need another ex-cyclone, but it doesn't look promising.

We have cruised on the tail of a similar cyclone turned hybrid-low at the end of 2007. It was an awesome experience. Happy to give this one a miss.

• Like 3

DW and I board Quantum OTS next Wednesday. I don’t think TC Gabrielle will impact our cruise. Meanwhile Auntie is onboard the Coral Princess, currently en route to New Zealand. She may not be as fortunate.  

87D11272-ADE2-41D9-9013-D03C57F1086F.jpeg

93647582-A61F-4024-937E-31B253EA9839.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

DW and I board Quantum OTS next Wednesday. I don’t think TC Gabrielle will impact our cruise. Meanwhile Auntie is onboard the Coral Princess, currently en route to New Zealand. She may not be as fortunate.  

87D11272-ADE2-41D9-9013-D03C57F1086F.jpeg

93647582-A61F-4024-937E-31B253EA9839.png

The weather won't make for relaxed cruising, but Coral should be able to stay ahead of the worst of it. At the time of your capture, Coral is scheduled to be departing Wellington bound for Christchurch. Lots of rain, but the ocean conditions are much less hazardous. Very slim hope for the fiords though.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Royal caribbean offer is 0 . But they are sorry.

Been cruising since 1983 and the "cyclone season " has very little effect on cruising , Beatles and medical emergencies have a far greater effect.. 

And Klingons on the starboard bow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, NSWP said:

Re Cyclone Gabrielle, NZ weather forecasters are predicting it will hit North Island of NZ, Sunday/Monday.  Probably a few more ships in that area might try and miss it.  Pacfic Explorer and Arcadia are in the region early next week.

Coral Princess left Brisbane Monday for NZ so they could be in for some rough weather as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

Coral Princess left Brisbane Monday for NZ so they could be in for some rough weather as well.

They are all running for cover,ovation looks like it’s going to eden.

7E69AC56-221F-4855-A669-C4DB921293AE.thumb.png.ef716a9ec642d8598cde8f8122e1ae03.png

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

7E69AC56-221F-4855-A669-C4DB921293AE.thumb.png.ef716a9ec642d8598cde8f8122e1ae03.png

Lol! Just thinking about our Majestic Pacific cruise leaving Saturday and the possibility of IT going to Eden too. Oh well. At least we'll be able to water the plants!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

That’s the cruise that Auntie is on. She’s convinced that Gabrielle will cause more issues for DW and my cruise (Quantum OTS sailing from Brisbane next Wednesday) than hers. I’m not so sure. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

We are leaving Melbourne tomorrow on Grand Princess bound for Fiji.  mmmmm  Wonder where we will end up.

Eden, lol. Bon Voyage.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

AIS has listed Sydney. Eden is no fun for Ovation until they finish the wave attenuator wall. Do circles off Sydney or come in a day early, as I don't think there is another ship at OPT.

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

AIS has listed Sydney. Eden is no fun for Ovation until they finish the wave attenuator wall. Do circles off Sydney or come in a day early, as I don't think there is another ship at OPT.

Turns out Noordam & Majestic Princess are back to Sydney tomorrow. Ovation's AIS has them arriving tomorrow evening, presuming they will berth at OPT after Majestic's departure.

• Like 1