Will They Give me the Room Key?

hkbragg

Long story short - we have 2 rooms booked. Paid for by me - My name is registered in 1 room with a kid and my DH is registered in the other room with a kid. Now DH and kid on his reservation can't go and will be no shows as we are 10 days out and there is no covered reason for our insurance to kick in.  My question is - since I paid for both rooms and this is my spouse and kid, can I get the room key from guest services so that I can use the other room? TIA

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I think you are going to have issues. When the second room is a no show I think Carnival will cancel that room out and refund port fees and taxes 

I think this is the likely outcome, you won't be able to check them in so they will be put down as no shows.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I think this is the likely outcome, you won't be able to check them in so they will be put down as no shows.

I also agree that this is the likely outcome. Also, anything they bought in advance like a drink package or excursions should also be refunded.

Even though you paid for the room, the passengers on that room booking will not be checking in, so as others have said, they will refund the taxes & port fees, pre-paid gratuities in addition to anything they purchased for on board.

Edited by tonit964

Correct, if no one in the room actually checks in, the reservation (and room) will be cancelled.  They will not leave it open with no one in it, even though you paid for it.  You will be refunded the things mentioned above.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:34 PM, hkbragg said:

Long story short - we have 2 rooms booked. Paid for by me - My name is registered in 1 room with a kid and my DH is registered in the other room with a kid. Now DH and kid on his reservation can't go and will be no shows as we are 10 days out and there is no covered reason for our insurance to kick in.  My question is - since I paid for both rooms and this is my spouse and kid, can I get the room key from guest services so that I can use the other room? TIA

As others have already noted,  no  and that is because many times rooms are paid for by others and the occupants don't show up so the payer doesn't get all the rooms.  They may put them into service.

• Like 1

The kid is 17.... not a toddler. We did not cancel any guests. We kept the original parents on the booking and just swapped the kids. So the parent who is going will check in for one room and the 17 year old will check in for the other. The parent and kid not going will be no shows so that no changes in rates will occur. I assume the port fees and such will be refunded when they are actual no shows. 

• Like 1

Adults always are checked-in first on Carnival.  Since your 17 yr old will not have an adult (assigned to the same stateroom) to be checked-in before him/her, the system may not allow it.  There is a good chance that the 17 yr old and/or room will be flagged by the system and you may end up with the 17 yr old in your room anyway.  It could be even more problematic if the 17 yr old is in a balcony stateroom alone (safety concerns).

29 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Adults always are checked-in first on Carnival.  Since your 17 yr old will not have an adult (assigned to the same stateroom) to be checked-in before him/her, the system may not allow it.  There is a good chance that the 17 yr old and/or room will be flagged by the system and you may end up with the 17 yr old in your room anyway.  It could be even more problematic if the 17 yr old is in a balcony stateroom alone (safety concerns).

Time to call a supervisor. 😒

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Time to call a supervisor. 😒

Hello, My Friend!  I thought that I would just put that out there for the OP to be aware.  The other thing that may happen if the mom and 17 yr old get embarked into the 2 staterooms, is that the room steward would have to report it - again as a safety concern.

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

17 year olds can be in their own room as long as an adult( over 25) is within a few cabins as a chaperone.  It should not be a problem as long as the reservations are linked.  You actually can book 12-17 year olds in separate cabins as long as they are close enough to the chaperones.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

17 year olds can be in their own room as long as an adult( over 25) is within a few cabins as a chaperone.  It should not be a problem as long as the reservations are linked.  You actually can book 12-17 year olds in separate cabins as long as they are close enough to the chaperones.

I could be wrong, but I think the 17 yr old will be flagged.  It's not as if the one parent doesn't have room in her stateroom to accommodate the one 17 yr old.  The ship will handle it in a way that will minimize any liability on their part.

9 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I could be wrong, but I think the 17 yr old will be flagged.  It's not as if the one parent doesn't have room in her stateroom to accommodate the one 17 yr old.  The ship will handle it in a way that will minimize any liability on their part.

And what, my friend, is your responsibility in this situation? I know you consider the main part of your job getting the passengers aboard if at all possible, but would you be required to bring this to the attention of the cruise line, or do you leave it to them? Do you say anything to the passenger that there might be a problem once on the ship of having the 2 rooms instead of just 1?

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And what, my friend, is your responsibility in this situation? I know you consider the main part of your job getting the passengers aboard if at all possible, but would you be required to bring this to the attention of the cruise line, or do you leave it to them? Do you say anything to the passenger that there might be a problem once on the ship of having the 2 rooms instead of just 1?

Hi, @ontheweb,  while it is part of our job to try to get all passengers legally on board, we also have a responsibility to the cruise lines to respect their rules and standards (which vary between brands). 

When the boarding pass is scanned, it shows who is in the stateroom.  The pier agent will ask where is the adult (dad) who the 17 yr old is listed as sharing the stateroom with.  It's at this point that concerns about the minor alone in the stateroom would kick in..  I have no doubt that both the mom and the 17 yr old will be embarked, it just might not be as straightforward. 

Carnival plainly states that adults are to be checked-in first, and the handheld check-in devices will not sync up if a minor is embarked before an accompanying adult.  It's possible that a line supervisor will be called over at that time, or that the mom and 17 yr old will be sent to counter agent and a higher level supervisor will get involved. It's also possible that it could get turned over to the 1-2 ship personnel behind the counter that handle document issues, and other last minute problems.

I think the very least outcome at embark will be that that stateroom of the 17 yr old (who will have the room to him/herself) will be flagged.  My guess is that the stateroom's mini bar will be emptied, and that ship security will be notified so it is on their radar for noise or party complaints.

I have no reason to doubt that the OP's 17 yr old is a well mannered responsible minor, but the ship has a responsibility to keep that 17 yr old safe, and for folks in neighboring staterooms - a quiet hallway.

A goal in posting on this thread was to let the OP know that having the two staterooms (one with just a 17 yr old minor), might not be as straightforward as her travel agent lead her to believe.  The ship will have the final say on what the outcome will be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1