THE WORST CRUISE I'VE TAKEN and the RESPONSE FROM MSC.

scorpiony3358

I always find it shocking the lack of research people do.  If you are going to invest time, money and energy into something, a certain level research or due diligence is required.  After years of cruise planning, research and reading trip reviews, I have a good sense of what cruise lines would be suitable for me based on my cruising interests and what I value.  It seems that some of the blame should be focused on yourself.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Denversail said:

You don’t sound like an experienced cruiser. These complaints seem petty to me. Waste of time to write a letter about it. 

I agree and I'm also crying foul that he is a music executive.  I've never heard of flamingo guitar....  There's flamenco, but not flamingo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think the OP should compensate whoever at MSC had to waste time reading and responding that ridiculous letter, which basically boils down to 'I tried a new cruise line, based on zero research I expected it to be exactly the same as other lines on which I had cruised previously.  I found that it wasn't and I didn't like it'.  Boo hoo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I think the OP should compensate whoever at MSC had to waste time reading and responding that ridiculous letter, which basically boils down to 'I tried a new cruise line, based on zero research I expected it to be exactly the same as other lines on which I had cruised previously.  I found that it wasn't and I didn't like it'.  Boo hoo

To be fair not everyone is on social media. Not everyone knows Cruise Critic exists. 

I’m the youngest of 8 children and except for 1 sister who was a TA for 30 yrs the rest are not on social media.
They’re not reading the pros and cons and recent experiences of cruisers on all of the different lines. 
Not one of my siblings had ever heard of MSC cruises. 
None of our friends had either.  

They really depend on me and their TA to recommend vacations…cruises and otherwise because they know I do my research. 

My first 5 siblings are all well into their 70’s and I cannot change their view on social media. They want no part of it. 

Not saying this is the case with the OP but I can count on one hand how many people I speak to on ships that have heard of CC. 

I research the heck out of every vacation we take. I don’t expect the average person to spend the amount of time I do on that. Especially those that use a TA and have a business relationship with a TA. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, styles27 said:

To be fair not everyone is on social media. Not everyone knows Cruise Critic exists. 

Fair (ish) point, but interesting that they've managed to find CC now that they want to complain but seemingly didn't use it to carry out some basic research before they booked / cruised with MSC.

Edited by cruising.mark.uk
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Let's talk about service recovery.  I'm in the hotel business.  We try to be perfect but the law of averages says we can't be.  When guests report issues, we take them seriously.  But many issues are exaggerated and/or based on an inappropriate or unrealistic expectation.   And sometimes it's pretty clear an issue is framed specifically to garner some type of financial consideration or other type of service recovery.

Reading the OP's dissertation, it was definitely in the latter category as evidenced by his "is that all there is?" to MSC's response.  Anecdotally, he also exaggerated his issues and had inappropriate expectations. 

The hotel conglomerate I work for tracks loyalty member activity including total dollars spent vs. dollars awarded due to service recovery issues.  People who chronically complain and cross a ratio of their spend vs. what they receive in problem compensation are evicted from the loyalty program; some achieved the highest level.  I'm sure the other big hotel conglomerate has a similar policy.

Moral of the story?  The biggest is - you can't please everyone every time.  Most companies will do the right thing if a reported issue was their fault and avoidable.  But in terms of service recovery, it's "the punishment fits the crime."  So no, I won't comp someone's stay because housekeeping missed their room one day.  I will give them loyalty points or some F&B credit to acknowledge our failing.  On the flip side, some issues have been large enough that a guest's stay was comped and they received a ton of loyalty points.  Companies know when an issue is small or large and all the theatrics in the world aren't going to change the definitions. 

And here's an inside secret.  The person who calmly points out an issue they experienced will receive more consideration and service recovery than someone pitching a hissy fit and threatening to a) never stay with me or my hotel conglomerate again, b) hire an attorney to sue me over their issue,  or c) become physically or verbally threatening.  The latter gets the police called and they are evicted from the hotel. 

Back to the OP.  We've all met tons of people like him.  Some of you may even be like him.  I just hope that none of you are on any of my cruises. 🙂 

• Like 16

17 hours ago, scorpiony3358 said:

On the recommendation of my TA I booked the inaugural cruise on the MSC Seascape from Rome to NYC. I am a seasoned cruiser with over 30 cruises under my belt, but never had I sailed with MSC. This cruise left Rome on November 19th. 

I sent the following letter to MSC and my TA sent her own. 

My name is                      and I'm contacting you directly because my travel agent has not received a response from you regarding my sailing on the inaugural cruise of the MSC Seascape from Rome to New York November 19, 2022 - December 6, 2022.

This was my first cruise with MSC taken on the recommendation of my travel agent. I've previously cruised on Regent, Silversea, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL and Oceania since 1999. 

I'll begin by saying the Seascape is a beautiful ship and even though it was an inaugural cruise I was shocked by how poor for the most part your services were. I will go down point by point why I am taking the time to notify you of my dissatisfaction.

Prior to embarkation my Travel Agent requested that I have an extension cord and distilled water for my CPAP machine plus a disposal container for my needles. Upon entering my cabin 12258 I found a letter stating I needed to go to the customer service desk. I went to the desk 4 times before I was handed the extension cord. I had to return 4 more times and finally spoke with the head of the department who personally brought me the distilled water on two separate occasions. The disposal container was brought after my second visit. This was a total waste of my time having to wait in a long line each time only to be told it was being taken care of. 

Thank God that there was not an emergency because your safety drill was very disorganized. 

Prior to booking this cruise both my travel agent and I asked about a cigar smoking lounge and was told that the Seascape had one. This was an out and out lie. The smoking areas for the most part were for the most part wide open spaces which were very inconvenient. No cover for rain and no barriers to break up the wind except in one location. 

The bar service in the smoking locations was very inconsistent. 

As this was not my first transatlantic cruise I was shocked at the TV channel selection. The excuse given was total BS. You did have the World Cup which was great except the feed in my cabin was not in English, but was in English in the sports bar. Your movies were pay per view which should have been free since your TV went dark for at least 5 days. Only 3 English speaking channels 2 were business and one was sky news. All other channels were in different languages. I understand that there are people from many countries then you should have more channels available. 

When there finally was TV available the channel selection was poor at best! 

The buffet was probably the worst I've ever had on over 30 cruises that I've done. Whoever heard of no ice cream except at 4pm. None available with lunch or dinner. Granted you wanted to sell overpriced Gelato.  Your selection and layout was also terrible. I did enjoy your pizza. 

Regarding the food in the restaurant, I'm used to much better quality and a wider selection. 

I pre purchased the specialty restaurant package and I stated that I didn't eat Mexican food and I was told no problem to switch to another restaurant. I switched to Teppanyaki and was charged  $73.60. The food was great. I also ate in the steakhouse which was also very good. 

Regarding pre-paying for the specialty restaurants and the drink package both charges were not taken off of my $500 on board credit which was not told to me when I was charged. I could have purchased both packages while on board. I was given a $100 additional credit by your head of customer service, but still I had $311.40 that was not spent. That I feel is being taken advantage of and I expect a refund.  

As a former music industry executive, I will also say that the main theater shows were mediocre except for the Flamingo guitarist. Your major shows were all basically the same with different songs and costumes. The dancers were very talented, but only 2 of the 4 main singers were good. 

The other performers in the main theater like the magician I wouldn't hire for a children's party. The female singer on stage was lost without a live band. The soprano sang songs normally sung by tenors. 

I met with the cruise director and gave him my thoughts. On other transatlantic cruises there is usually a band performing at the pool daily or in a lounge. Not on this cruise. Also the music at the pool would be playing while in the smoking area the music would also be playing which was terrible. 

The jazz group in the loft was ok, but they alternated with a solo performer who wasn't very good. 

Your dueling piano singers voices didn't blend very well on most songs they performed. Since I live in Las Vegas I'm used to seeing many different dueling piano acts. 

I can go on, but there are other issues I have like in ports there would always be a free shuttle but not with MSC. Also docking locations were poor. In Madara it was a 2 mile walk and in Barcelona on my last cruise I walked off the ship and was at the beginning of Las Ramblas.

I've been on an inaugural cruise and there is something given out to commemorate the occasion. MSC gave nothing!

In closing I am giving MSC the opportunity to right the wrongs of my trip and expect to receive compensation for my trip. 

Sincerely, 

Now the response I received from MSC 

Good Afternoon 

First, please allow me to apologize for the length of time your request has taken for us to respond to you.

Thank you for sharing your candid comments about your experience onboard our ship. We take your comments very seriously and appreciate your taking the time to share them with us.

We  understand that the problems you pointed out could detract from that enjoyment and sincerely regret if your cruise did not meet your expectations.

Surveys are sent randomly. You may not get one after each sailing however you can always email us your feedback. and we will be happy to review for and do our best to resolution your grievances.

At MSC Cruises, customer satisfaction is our primary goal, we are committed to offering our guests the best possible vacation experience and your comments will help us do that. We truly appreciate your patronage and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back onboard.

Sincerely,

Chase

MSC Customer Service

I did respond to Chase and as of today have not received a response. The fact that not one of my issues were addressed in his response is totally unacceptable. I would not have posted this except for the fact that MSC didn't address me directly and in my opinion Chase just blew me off. 

I hope that all who read this understand that as a customer we are entitled to direct answers. I realize that MSC wants our business, but in my opinion this cruise line should treat it's customers with respect. Customer service is what drives all business and MSC needs to understand that. 

Wow what a super cruise !!!  , I have sailed once  about 10 years ago on MSC Magnifica, 
the worst cruise ever. Food was dreadful, service the pits,  just to mention 2. 
In my over 80 cruises so far this is one is holding the rest up. The cabin was nice ( the only thing ).
I have a MSC booked in October in the YC.  Who knows ?????

Happy cruising

15 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

Let's talk about service recovery.  I'm in the hotel business.  We try to be perfect but the law of averages says we can't be.  When guests report issues, we take them seriously.  But many issues are exaggerated and/or based on an inappropriate or unrealistic expectation.   And sometimes it's pretty clear an issue is framed specifically to garner some type of financial consideration or other type of service recovery.

The thing is that you cannot expect this from MSC. I first time travelled with my parents in Italy in the 1980s and even as a kid I was quite suprised how little the hotels, restaurants ... cared about their guests😄. Things like how can the seats in the lobby of a 4 star hotel so dusty, they probably have not been touched by cleaning staff ever. Having said this I also fell totally in love with this country and this love is as strong as it was decades ago.  

Yes, on every MSC cruise there are some minor problems I could complain. But this is completely useless, nobody from MSC is interested. And this is what I expect from MSC. Just stay to be like you´ve been on my first MSC cruise 12 years before. MSC is offering a nice product for a great price and they love my kids like no other cruise line. It is us to say thank you, certainly not them😄 Keep this in mind and you will have a great time. If you cannot accept this, go somewhere else. 

• Like 1

In reading the rant all I kept thinking was you didn’t like something (well a lot of somethings lol), I saw no real issues outside of the accommodations for the cpap. 

I’ve seen so much bashing of MSC that I expected to see comments agreeing with you but instead I see everyone leaning towards the same conclusion as me. Restores my faith in this board lol. 

• Like 7

• Faith restored 🙂  lol.  What a silly rant. There's no way that someone who has cruised extensively wouldn't know some of these things.  As far as "bar service in the smoking area was slow"... I mean, why wouldn't it be? Do you think employees want to bring booze to smokers who can't be bothered to get up and walk to a bar?  The whole Cpap + Cigar + Sharps container (not indicated, but maybe diabetic?) + where's my ice cream is a head-shaker at best.  Oh, and the bit about the movies should be free b/c the tv is not working... bwhahahahaha... I needed a laugh today.  Thank you OP, thank you. 
  • For all those who suggested he should have been in the YC I fear for what that would have looked like when he pulled out a big old stogie in TopSail or up at the pool...... 
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

As far as Cruise Critic, the OP "JOINED November 29, 2009".

Correct I had checked that too which is why I also wrote “not saying this is the case for the OP”

My post was in response to someone saying that some “try a new cruise line with zero research and expect it to be like their other cruises. 

My point is not everyone researches things the way we do. They depend on their TA’s recommendations. 
Personally I could never do that but I realize I’m in the minority. 

I think the OP should be happy MSC gave him back $100. I would not have as I see nothing in his letter that warranted that compensation.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:
  • Faith restored 🙂  lol.  What a silly rant. There's no way that someone who has cruised extensively wouldn't know some of these things.  As far as "bar service in the smoking area was slow"... I mean, why wouldn't it be? Do you think employees want to bring booze to smokers who can't be bothered to get up and walk to a bar?  The whole Cpap + Cigar + Sharps container (not indicated, but maybe diabetic?) + where's my ice cream is a head-shaker at best.  Oh, and the bit about the movies should be free b/c the tv is not working... bwhahahahaha... I needed a laugh today.  Thank you OP, thank you. 
  • For all those who suggested he should have been in the YC I fear for what that would have looked like when he pulled out a big old stogie in TopSail or up at the pool...... 

Mariner Boy, Mariner Boy, M.....Won't say it three times! 😉

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scorpiony3358 said:

On the recommendation of my TA I booked the inaugural cruise on the MSC Seascape from Rome to NYC. I am a seasoned cruiser with over 30 cruises under my belt, but never had I sailed with MSC. This cruise left Rome on November 19th. 

I sent the following letter to MSC and my TA sent her own. 

My name is                      and I'm contacting you directly because my travel agent has not received a response from you regarding my sailing on the inaugural cruise of the MSC Seascape from Rome to New York November 19, 2022 - December 6, 2022.

(This is common w/MSC, and probably other cruise lines.)

This was my first cruise with MSC taken on the recommendation of my travel agent. I've previously cruised on Regent, Silversea, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL and Oceania since 1999. 

(Best to stick with what you know and like, but fine to try new lines so long as you expect things to be different and temper your expectations.  MSC offers beautiful ships and a value product.  They are in a different category than most of the cruise lines mentioned.)

I'll begin by saying the Seascape is a beautiful ship and even though it was an inaugural cruise I was shocked by how poor for the most part your services were. I will go down point by point why I am taking the time to notify you of my dissatisfaction.

Prior to embarkation my Travel Agent requested that I have an extension cord and distilled water for my CPAP machine plus a disposal container for my needles. Upon entering my cabin 12258 I found a letter stating I needed to go to the customer service desk. I went to the desk 4 times before I was handed the extension cord. I had to return 4 more times and finally spoke with the head of the department who personally brought me the distilled water on two separate occasions. The disposal container was brought after my second visit. This was a total waste of my time having to wait in a long line each time only to be told it was being taken care of. 

(What if you called and asked them to bring one up to you, or to let you know when it was available for pick-up?)

Thank God that there was not an emergency because your safety drill was very disorganized. 

(Most safety drills suck.  MSC's is worse than most, but none are amazing.)

Prior to booking this cruise both my travel agent and I asked about a cigar smoking lounge and was told that the Seascape had one. This was an out and out lie. The smoking areas for the most part were for the most part wide open spaces which were very inconvenient. No cover for rain and no barriers to break up the wind except in one location. 

(Many of MSC's employees are not native English speakers.  They may have thought you were asking if you could smoke a cigar, and I think you can, in designated areas.  It was probably more of a misunderstanding than a "lie".)

The bar service in the smoking locations was very inconsistent. 

(In what way?  Vague.)

As this was not my first transatlantic cruise I was shocked at the TV channel selection. The excuse given was total BS. You did have the World Cup which was great except the feed in my cabin was not in English, but was in English in the sports bar. Your movies were pay per view which should have been free since your TV went dark for at least 5 days. Only 3 English speaking channels 2 were business and one was sky news. All other channels were in different languages. I understand that there are people from many countries then you should have more channels available. 

(This is common with pretty much every cruise line I've been on.)

When there finally was TV available the channel selection was poor at best! 

(Again, in my experience, this is common.)

The buffet was probably the worst I've ever had on over 30 cruises that I've done. Whoever heard of no ice cream except at 4pm. None available with lunch or dinner. Granted you wanted to sell overpriced Gelato.  Your selection and layout was also terrible. I did enjoy your pizza. 

(I personally enjoy their buffet, but if you don't care for MSC's food, stick with a cruise line who serves what you like.  Let me add that the Gelato is quite good, imo.  I don't consider it to be overpriced, especially since you had a lot of on board credit to spend, as you mentioned later.)

Regarding the food in the restaurant, I'm used to much better quality and a wider selection. 

(Next time do Yacht Club &/or specialty restaurants.  Or simply stick with another cruise line).

I pre purchased the specialty restaurant package and I stated that I didn't eat Mexican food and I was told no problem to switch to another restaurant. I switched to Teppanyaki and was charged  $73.60. The food was great. I also ate in the steakhouse which was also very good. 

(I had a similar package and didn't do Teppanyaki because it wasn't included in my package.  I asked the question and they told me no.  Did you simply assume this was included?)

Regarding pre-paying for the specialty restaurants and the drink package both charges were not taken off of my $500 on board credit which was not told to me when I was charged. I could have purchased both packages while on board. I was given a $100 additional credit by your head of customer service, but still I had $311.40 that was not spent. That I feel is being taken advantage of and I expect a refund.  

(As an experienced cruiser, you should know that most OBC, provided by the cruise line, expires if not used.  I think it's your responsibility to check your billing, ask pertinent questions, and ensure that your OBC is properly utilized.  If there's an issue, address it while still onboard.)

As a former music industry executive, I will also say that the main theater shows were mediocre except for the Flamingo guitarist. Your major shows were all basically the same with different songs and costumes. The dancers were very talented, but only 2 of the 4 main singers were good. 

(Agreed, most performances are mediocre, at best.  Room for improvement for sure.)

The other performers in the main theater like the magician I wouldn't hire for a children's party. The female singer on stage was lost without a live band. The soprano sang songs normally sung by tenors. 

I met with the cruise director and gave him my thoughts. On other transatlantic cruises there is usually a band performing at the pool daily or in a lounge. Not on this cruise. Also the music at the pool would be playing while in the smoking area the music would also be playing which was terrible. 

(Some validity to the comments.  Fine to share them with MSC.  Again, perhaps stick with a cruise line that you value.)

The jazz group in the loft was ok, but they alternated with a solo performer who wasn't very good. 
Your dueling piano singers voices didn't blend very well on most songs they performed. Since I live in Las Vegas I'm used to seeing many different dueling piano acts. 

(A bit nit picky, but again, the entertainers can be hit and miss on MSC.  At the risk of overstating the obvious, an MSC cruise and Las Vegas are entirely different products and experiences.)

I can go on, but there are other issues I have like in ports there would always be a free shuttle but not with MSC. Also docking locations were poor. In Madara it was a 2 mile walk and in Barcelona on my last cruise I walked off the ship and was at the beginning of Las Ramblas.

(Not everyone will provide a free shuttle.  Some do, many or most don't.  I don't blame MSC for choosing to not provide a free shuttle.  Pay up, grab a cab or private shuttle for a few bucks, or walk.  Again, you had plenty of OBC to buy a shuttle, & they're usually pretty inexpensive.)

I've been on an inaugural cruise and there is something given out to commemorate the occasion. MSC gave nothing!

(You have this letter and your fond memories!)

In closing I am giving MSC the opportunity to right the wrongs of my trip and expect to receive compensation for my trip. 

(Candidly and respectfully, I'm not sure these issues warrant compensation.  Definitely seems that MSC is not the right fit for you.)

Sincerely, 

Now the response I received from MSC 

Good Afternoon 

First, please allow me to apologize for the length of time your request has taken for us to respond to you.

Thank you for sharing your candid comments about your experience onboard our ship. We take your comments very seriously and appreciate your taking the time to share them with us.

We  understand that the problems you pointed out could detract from that enjoyment and sincerely regret if your cruise did not meet your expectations.

Surveys are sent randomly. You may not get one after each sailing however you can always email us your feedback. and we will be happy to review for and do our best to resolution your grievances.

At MSC Cruises, customer satisfaction is our primary goal, we are committed to offering our guests the best possible vacation experience and your comments will help us do that. We truly appreciate your patronage and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back onboard.

Sincerely,

Chase

MSC Customer Service

I did respond to Chase and as of today have not received a response. The fact that not one of my issues were addressed in his response is totally unacceptable. I would not have posted this except for the fact that MSC didn't address me directly and in my opinion Chase just blew me off. 

I hope that all who read this understand that as a customer we are entitled to direct answers. I realize that MSC wants our business, but in my opinion this cruise line should treat it's customers with respect. Customer service is what drives all business and MSC needs to understand that. 

I've read the letter and added some personal comments in parenthesis.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Homosassa said:

MSC is not for you.

By the way, loss of satellite feed for the cabin TVs is common on different cruise itineraries due to the path of the satellites and blockage of the signatures due to the earth's curvature  or the surrounding geological features.

Some itineraries that satellite fee can be expected include parts of the Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean  or blockage by the mountains in Alaska or other  sailings through mountainous terrain.

Signal drops can be annoying but I don't go on a cruise to watch TV. I don't mind watching it before bed but these days if they took the TV out of the room it wouldn't devastate me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, travelingtink said:

In reading the rant all I kept thinking was you didn’t like something (well a lot of somethings lol), I saw no real issues outside of the accommodations for the cpap. 

I’ve seen so much bashing of MSC that I expected to see comments agreeing with you but instead I see everyone leaning towards the same conclusion as me. Restores my faith in this board lol. 

Because the rant was just ridiculous.  You're going on a vacation medically compromised with a C-pap, sharps container let alone obviously unhealthy life choices with drinking and smoking with what I'm guessing is diabetes and possibly either overweight or early COPD and you can't be bothered to look for this information online prior?  If you can find Cruise Critic let alone email, you know how to use a search engine.  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, nednrom said:

1. If you're given on board credit, you cannot spend it before getting onboard.  That is true for all cruise lines - you prepaid for a drink package and dinner package and had $500 on board credit to spend after that.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this part...

On our last Celebrity (Reflection B2B) sailing, we had something like $800 OBC for each leg. I was able to draw on that prior to sailing for excursions and such - ended up using most it ahead of time to get dozens of their $55 promo chips for $50.

On our upcoming Mardi Gras sailing, each time I've purchased something for that cruise (Wi-Fi, specialty dining, etc), I'm given the option of using my OBC. I, instead, use the handy $500 AARP Carnival gift cards - which I purchased for $450 each. 🙂

Tom

2 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

After reading all these posts i decided i am still going on Mera in Dec/2023 out of NY. 

BTW...First time MSC cruiser 😁

FWIW - we're also keeping our first booking (Seaside in April, YC fortunately) - and I'm in the process of booking a group for my office on the Seashore next March. 

I'm going in with eyes wide open. If it's a total sh#% show, I'll make sure that our group booking is fully refundable.  🙂

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, optimusprime82 said:

t I don't go on a cruise to watch TV. I don't mind watching it before bed but these days if they took the TV out of the room it wouldn't devastate me.

LOL - We started cruising when there was no such thing as a TV in the room. There wasn't a radio either.

I remember being excited when we took a cruise in 1978 when two channels for music were available in the cabin.  Both had music on loops and one could select either channel to listen to in the cabin.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

FWIW - we're also keeping our first booking (Seaside in April, YC fortunately) - and I'm in the process of booking a group for my office on the Seashore next March. 

I'm going in with eyes wide open. If it's a total sh#% show, I'll make sure that our group booking is fully refundable.  🙂

Tom

Nice!!

Something pretty dramatic would have to happen for us to ever cancel a cruise.. lol

• Like 1