Not to pile on, but it’s bad…

buckeye8810

16 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

While I take the point that many are making that food has deteriorated when compared to previous experiences, (and also that food, and many other aspects of cruising are subjective), I really find it very hard to believe that X is deliberately trying to alienate its frequent cruisers. Seems like a very odd strategy.  I refuse to believe that any large corporation wants to eliminate its loyal customers as a strategy.

All you have to do is look at their ads. They are not looking for our demographic anymore.

4 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

All you have to do is look at their ads. They are not looking for our demographic anymore.

well, at 76, I only do refundable bookings and I do not buy green bananas. I am not their future.

I do think they should be targeting to 50-70 age group who want and can pay for upscale adult mature cruises. I also think they should plan on spending more time in ports specidicately evenings and where when they do O/N stays they port early the first day and leave late the second-so customers do not have 2 chopped up days

It is more than food. But lets face it, Food used to be X's strong draw. Eg, best food. Has anybody said food is outstanding at all places and meals, like they used to say. 

Just got off the Norweigan Joy 5 day Mexican Rivera cruise and promptly cancelled our deposit on the Celebrity Summit and booked on the Joy for the same week and itinerary to Bermuda this June. We are getting their version of Concierge Class (Club Balcony), with a premium drink package, unlimited internet and 4 days of specality dining for $1500 LESS than what Celebrity was going to charge us for an aft balcony.  We found the wines offered on the premium package were way superior (you are able to get a bottle of wine during your dinner - including Veuve Cliquot champagne and Duckhorn Cabernet), and food was just as good as Celebrity. The buffet dining option is important to us, and they had plenty of Made to Order items that we used to enjoy on X.  So if someone from X is reading this, some of us are voting with our wallets and making changes. 

Edited by psuboater
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

well, at 76, I only do refundable bookings and I do not buy green bananas. I am not their future.

I do think they should be targeting to 50-70 age group who want and can pay for upscale adult mature cruises. I also think they should plan on spending more time in ports specidicately evenings and where when they do O/N stays they port early the first day and leave late the second-so customers do not have 2 chopped up days

It is more than food. But lets face it, Food used to be X's strong draw. Eg, best food. Has anybody said food is outstanding at all places and meals, like they used to say. 

1 minute ago, psuboater said:

Just got off the Norweigan Joy 5 day Mexican Rivera cruise and promptly cancelled our deposit on the Celebrity Summit and booked on the Joy for the same week and itinerary. We are getting their version of Concierge Class (Club Balcony), with a premium drink package, unlimited internet and 4 days of specality dining for $1500 LESS than what Celebrity was going to charge us for an aft balcony.  We found the wines offered on the premium package were way superior (you are able to get a bottle of wine during your dinner - including Veuve Cliquot champagne and Duckhorn Cabernet), and food was just as good as Celebrity. The buffet dining option is important to us, and they had plenty of Made to Order items that we used to enjoy on X.  So if someone from X is reading this, some of us are voting with our wallets and making changes. 

I’m 66 and DH is 70. While we aren’t as young or mobile as we once were, we are also not looking for a geriatric experience. For us that was HAL.  It doesn’t disturb us that x’s marketing skews a bit younger. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

And the introduction of E class without balconies ...

The only way that they could pull this off would be to get new cruisers who did not know what a balcony was.

Modern cruise ship design puts as many balconies as they can on the ship.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

For us, Celebrity's adds or other cruisers experiences/opinions have absolutely no influence whether we continue or not continue to cruise with Celebrity.  Looking forward to our March Apex cruise in a DPV.  First time on an E class ship. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

And the introduction of E class without balconies ...

The only way that they could pull this off would be to get new cruisers who did not know what a balcony was.

Modern cruise ship design puts as many balconies as they can on the ship.

I love the Edge class public spaces and the Retreat Space, but I am NOT in favor of the IV. I think it was a HUGE gamble ordering 5 ships with something the public might not take to. I haven't heard as much negative as I used to, but I certainly am not hearing "I wouldn't want to sail in any other type of stateroom" either.

With the pandemic, you think they would have pulled the plug on at least the Ascent and the 5th one until they found out the reaction to Edge, Apex, and Beyond. And now a 5th when they are bleeding cash? That does not sound like a good business practice to me. I am sure there would have been penalties, but they wouldn't have been in the billions.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I love the Edge class public spaces and the Retreat Space, but I am NOT in favor of the IV. I think it was a HUGE gamble ordering 5 ships with something the public might not take to. I haven't heard as much negative as I used to, but I certainly am not hearing "I wouldn't want to sail in any other type of stateroom" either.

With the pandemic, you think they would have pulled the plug on at least the Ascent and the 5th one until they found out the reaction to Edge, Apex, and Beyond. And now a 5th when they are bleeding cash? That does not sound like a good business practice to me. I am sure there would have been penalties, but they wouldn't have been in the billions.

or put the company at risk, which they have done

even if its only a perception that things are not as good as before, thats a problem and its managements problem, and the shareholders problem that neither seems to have a good grasp on whats happening

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

or put the company at risk, which they have done

even if its only a perception that things are not as good as before, thats a problem and its managements problem, and the shareholders problem that neither seems to have a good grasp on whats happening

I am a shareholder. At what point should I worry?

13 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I am a shareholder. At what point should I worry?

Hard to say, however,

I  am in the group seeing where the econ growth data is being overstated and inflation understated.  We have too many unknowns, 

Watch the overall market and if that starts selling off its a signal to get out.

There is a saying, if you are in the market its better to panic sell early rather than late.

My big concern is companies in general that have too much debt and are illiquid to pay off debt. Not just the cruise lines which depend on deposits. The cruise lines have made large capital committments and have surviced the lockdowns, but not by much. Everything  is ok til its not.

While the Fed is talking tough now it can turn on a dime like it has if things get tight again. Inflation is preferable to an economic calamity.

1 hour ago, Orator said:

I wonder if anyone from Celebrity is reading the negative posts and wishes to respond? 

Would be nice....but doubt that will happen....they stopped responding sometime before Covid and nothing since.

As long as people keep paying the fare....no matter how high....they will just keep on doing what they're doing.  

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Would be nice....but doubt that will happen....they stopped responding sometime before Covid and nothing since.

As long as people keep paying the fare....no matter how high....they will just keep on doing what they're doing.  

well, thats certainly true.

people will stop  when the masses think the prices exceed the value received, or, when the spenders  run out of money

I bet a lot of people who have upgraded to Aqua and Retreat and a decent portion of those still in norml accomodations, are doing so because portfolios the last decade have done well, or alternatively, and I think I am correct, many people  in Florida who have time can just get on a cruise without complications or high costs of hotel the night before and airfares. Those folks may or may not have portfolios but many have pensions, whether from a government or private company where thats underfunded.

My thesis is if we have a prolonged market  selloff because the Fed does not rush in to save it, that wil have sort of an adverse effect on annuities and pensions ability to pay out benefits and of course stocks and bonds.

And if cruising business declines, none of the cruise lines (or airlines, or hotel insdustry or restaurants)  have built up a war chest of sorts-a rainey day fund- to survive the next econ decline, nor have many of the other companies out there.

• Like 1

Many years ago, long before LLP, Celebrity downgraded to menu. Beef Wellington was replaced by Chicken Wellington. Other costly items were replaced by less expensive. The Maitre 's complained to the Miami office that they were getting many complaints from passengers. The items were eventually restored. They will respond only when their choices result in a negative bottom line.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

well, thats certainly true.

people will stop  when the masses think the prices exceed the value received, or, when the spenders  run out of money

I bet a lot of people who have upgraded to Aqua and Retreat and a decent portion of those still in norml accomodations, are doing so because portfolios the last decade have done well, or alternatively, and I think I am correct, many people  in Florida who have time can just get on a cruise without complications or high costs of hotel the night before and airfares. Those folks may or may not have portfolios but many have pensions, whether from a government or private company where thats underfunded.

My thesis is if we have a prolonged market  selloff because the Fed does not rush in to save it, that wil have sort of an adverse effect on annuities and pensions ability to pay out benefits and of course stocks and bonds.

And if cruising business declines, none of the cruise lines (or airlines, or hotel insdustry or restaurants)  have built up a war chest of sorts-a rainey day fund- to survive the next econ decline, nor have many of the other companies out there.

All true....

but as a "Florida" resident I no longer have a desire to do the same Caribbean cruise over and over...especially at today's prices....or even at "bargain" rates that might be offered last minute.  After 30+ cruises, vast majority with Celebrity we fully expect our booking on the Apex April TA to be the last for the forseeable future. 

We are looking around for better ways to spend our $$$'s. Things have changed A LOT with cruising since the pandemic and much not for the better...or maybe we just came to realize we can get more "bang for our buck" in other ways.  I think there are others that feel the same. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

The "official " spokesperson used the name "Celebrity Cruiser" on  Cruise Critic. I understand from an insider that the position was eliminated several years before Covid. IMHO: It would be a good public relations move to restore the position at this time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Orator said:

The "official " spokesperson used the name "Celebrity Cruiser" on  Cruise Critic. I understand from an insider that the position was eliminated several years before Covid. IMHO: It would be a good public relations move to restore the position at this time.

Agree

7 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

All true....

but as a "Florida" resident I no longer have a desire to do the same Caribbean cruise over and over...especially at today's prices....or even at "bargain" rates that might be offered last minute.  After 30+ cruises, vast majority with Celebrity we fully expect our booking on the Apex April TA to be the last for the forseeable future. 

We are looking around for better ways to spend our $$$'s. Things have changed A LOT with cruising since the pandemic and much not for the better...or maybe we just came to realize we can get more "bang for our buck" in other ways.  I think there are others that feel the same. 

I reached that Carribean point 24 years ago after a 16 day Pamama canal trip from Acapulca to either San Juan or Ft Lauderdale with teh ABC and a few other ports. Everything  looked and was the same and our daughters could have their hairs bradied at each port.

I cancelled a b2b2b set for April TA and May  ( i think 16 ports) when I had a personal issue come up which messed up my scheduling. The 16 ports had an average of no more than 8 hours each which effectively work out to 7 hours each at best.

I did a 180 and booked a 35 day land trip in Greece and Italy. Far less costly and still rather nice. And we will have weight gains from  local cuisine, pretty good food and wine,  offset  by a lot of walking around. Travel times on travel days  other than going to and from Europe are 5 hours  Leving plenty of time on non travel days as well as the nights. Its more work and effort, but i think yields  a nice return.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

Agree food subjective. We cruised last May Retreat (I know can’t compare Luminae to Blu). and last month in Aqua (sailed Aqua many times)   We were surprised to see meatloaf on the Blu menu, especially since Blu is supposed to be “healthier /cleaner” foods.   I don’t care if it was Angus beef in that meatloaf. Meatloaf is high in fat.      We noticed the portions were considerably smaller as well.   Fish was only offered a few nights unless you wanted salmon

I know this came up before but I will repeat.  In the OVC at lunch, cheese was a scarce commodity.    So, yes, we saw changes in the food for sure

its not just the food-the all inclusive deals " give" up to 800 in OBC per cabin, or more thru other deals or agent OBC. Its harder to find refundable OBC, so now we have to spend OBC on expensive stuff like the  companies excursions. I think we and others had more fun with our private excursions on mini buses with up to 10 people.

Now we can blow off 600 of obc on a private ship excursion. With X getting a share of that.

for a while it looked like cabin service would be once a day.

ts a lot of things-but when they gross up the cost of a cruise to hand out 800 OBC, we also need to buy more cancellation insurance, because if you cancell, you are stuck for the grossed up price. Not the net if you get a refundable OBC.

Am I getting picky? Perhaps. But its my money I am spending. I would  like to keep as much as I can. to spend in different ways.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

I reached that Carribean point 24 years ago after a 16 day Pamama canal trip from Acapulca to either San Juan or Ft Lauderdale with teh ABC and a few other ports. Everything  looked and was the same and our daughters could have their hairs bradied at each port.

I cancelled a b2b2b set for April TA and May  ( i think 16 ports) when I had a personal issue come up which messed up my scheduling. The 16 ports had an average of no more than 8 hours each which effectively work out to 7 hours each at best.

I did a 180 and booked a 35 day land trip in Greece and Italy. Far less costly and still rather nice. And we will have weight gains from  local cuisine, pretty good food and wine,  offset  by a lot of walking around. Travel times on travel days  other than going to and from Europe are 5 hours  Leving plenty of time on non travel days as well as the nights. Its more work and effort, but i think yields  a nice return.

Yes, we spent a few days in Rome prior to our last cruise in a wonderful boutique hotel, and did the math and saw that we could spend a few weeks in Italy for far less than that cruise would cost....still have great food, wine, (probably a bit less than on a ship...😁) lodging and see more of the country.  Same for other areas in Europe.  Those kind of trips are sounding more and more appealing these day.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Yes, we spent a few days in Rome prior to our last cruise in a wonderful boutique hotel, and did the math and saw that we could spend a few weeks in Italy for far less than that cruise would cost....still have great food, wine, (probably a bit less than on a ship...😁) lodging and see more of the country.  Same for other areas in Europe.  Those kind of trips are sounding more and more appealing these day.

Yes,  we did the very same thing  last Oct. enjoyed it very much.

How about the TA cruise after the land travel on your own, they seems to be less pricey.

That way you can able to relax way back to US.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orator said:

Even if they aren't officially answering as Celebrity, I absolutely guarantee you they're lurking here. I was a retail buyer for several large companies and I was constantly searching and  seeking out feedback online for our products, but never responding as a member of the company as I was not authorized to do so. 

29 minutes ago, psuboater said:

Even if they aren't officially answering as Celebrity, I absolutely guarantee you they're lurking here. I was a retail buyer for several large companies and I was constantly searching and  seeking out feedback online for our products, but never responding as a member of the company as I was not authorized to do so. 

I really wish someone from X would chime in here. At least to say they are taking our concerns under consideration. I bet if they start checking signatures, they will see a lot fewer Celebrity bookings than they used to. I know I don't have one right now and that hasn't happened since 2011. But I guess that is just us.

I am sure there is a segment of the universe that doesn't even know Cruise Critic exists and they are under the assumption that their next X cruise will be as good as their last. Boy are they in for a rude awakening.

• Like 2