Await Guarantee Cabin Assignment? OR Do an Upgrade Bid

Jeter02

To wait or to bid?!?!  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Await Guarantee Cabin Assignment? OR Do an Upgrade Bid

• Await guaranteed cabin assignment (hopeful of a cabin upgrade)
    • Go ahead and participate in upgrade bid

If you're awaiting a cabin assignment do you patiently wait? Or do you prefer to go ahead and do an upgrade bid?

Awaiting my guaranteed inside cabin assignment, remaining positive and extremely hopeful that I'll be upgraded to a balcony of some form without having to lay out the extra money.

Curious to which route others would go.

I, personally, would never book a guarantee cabin.  The cruiseline can put you virtually anywhere on the ship and in locations that are the least desirable.  If we want a balcony, or whatever type of stateroom, then we choose our cabin and just book it.  If there is an opportunity to upgrade and the price is right then we MAY consider bidding.  We always have our reservation marked as “no upgrade”, but of course Princess can still attempt to move you elsewhere.  You could also end up getting a cabin in the category you booked,  but in the worst location.  Guarantees are always a gamble.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I, personally, would never book a guarantee cabin.  The cruiseline can put you virtually anywhere on the ship and in locations that are the least desirable.  If we want a balcony, or whatever type of stateroom, then we choose our cabin and just book it.  If there is an opportunity to upgrade and the price is right then we MAY consider bidding.  We always have our reservation marked as “no upgrade”, but of course Princess can still attempt to move you elsewhere.  You could also end up getting a cabin in the category you booked,  but in the worst location.  Guarantees are always a gamble.

Totally in agreeance with everything you just said. I always handpick my cabins as I love to be midship on a particular deck with a balcony.

However this was a random last second booking that I booked the guarantee and was trying to go the cheapest route possible for a the 4-day Discovery Princess sailing.

When flights are involved that definitely increases the price of the trip so decided to suck it up and remain very positive on where they place me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Totally in agreeance with everything you just said. I always handpick my cabins as I love to be midship on a particular deck with a balcony.

However this was a random last second booking that I booked the guarantee and was trying to go the cheapest route possible for a the 4-day Discovery Princess sailing.

When flights are involved that definitely increases the price of the trip so decided to suck it up and remain very positive on where they place me. 

Got it!  Truthfully, if it means cruising or not cruising by booking the least expensive route, then put me in anywhere.  At least you’ll be on a ship for a short cruise and I would do the same as you.  Enjoy!

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Got it!  Truthfully, if it means cruising or not cruising by booking the least expensive route, then put me in anywhere.  At least you’ll be on a ship for a short cruise and I would do the same as you.  Enjoy!

Thank you 💗

29 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

are you flying across country for a 4 day cruise - or adding other days?

not sure we'd fly for anything less than 10...

• Like 1

Ok - I agree with booking a stateroom your desire.  The location is also very important to us.  In the past 20+ cruises, we always booked early to obtain a stateroom we want.  Plus, we obtain favorable pricing.  If the price goes down, we refare.

Today, things have changed.  Recently we tried to book a Deluxe Balcony on a 10 day Caribbean cruise for the winter of 2024.  What’s available – “Reserve a Guaranteed Room” with no choice for levels 9, 10, 11, 12 & 14.  If I do mock booking for 3 in a stateroom -- rooms are available.  Then a mock booking for a Balcony (on the same ship) revealed many staterooms are available – all levels.   I think the “new” bidding process plays into this story.  Princess is using AI to offer and/or restrict staterooms for a profit.  John

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

are you flying across country for a 4 day cruise - or adding other days?

not sure we'd fly for anything less than 10...

Honestly not something I typically do, but I'm feeling spontaneous as there's no ships here locally in Fort Lauderdale in April (especially less than week, which is a rarity to find with Princess).

I'm working off a teacher schedule and figured why not treat myself to a quick getaway to help me survive this very rough and  bumpy school year. 

Life's too short not to enjoy a good adventure.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Honestly not something I typically do, but I'm feeling spontaneous as there's no ships here locally in Fort Lauderdale in April (especially less than week, which is a rarity to find with Princess).

I'm working off a teacher schedule and figured why not trear myself to a quick getaway to help me survive this very bumpy school year. 

Life's too short not to enjoy a good adventure.

Perfect - have a great trip

I wish Princess would do more 4-5 day cruises out of PE - It could be a 5-4-5 instead of the 'usual' 7-7 at least a couple of times a year.

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1

They really don’t seem to be giving random upgrades on lower priced cabins ever since they came out with the bidding system.  We’ve been on many cruises where there were a lot of nicer cabins remaining open but still quite a few of the inside cabins were filled.  Of course, we couldn’t tell how many were due to preference vs booked as guarantees.  
If the cruise is not full, you may stand a better chance just trying to upgrade once onboard.  They will offer you the same price as the bid amount but you can choose a specific cabin.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

They really don’t seem to be giving random upgrades on lower priced cabins ever since they came out with the bidding system.  We’ve been on many cruises where there were a lot of nicer cabins remaining open but still quite a few of the inside cabins were filled.  Of course, we couldn’t tell how many were due to preference vs booked as guarantees.  
If the cruise is not full, you may stand a better chance just trying to upgrade once onboard.  They will offer you the same price as the bid amount but you can choose a specific cabin.  

I do think that's a genius idea waiting to get on board if they have rooms available and then just pay for the upgrade fee if I'm not happy with the cabin given for my guaranteed room. This way I could hand pick. Smart 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeter02 said:

I do think that's a genius idea waiting to get on board if they have rooms available and then just pay for the upgrade fee if I'm not happy with the cabin given for my guaranteed room. This way I could hand pick. Smart 

On our last few cruises that were at at capacity, we were able to do just that.  We were happy with our chosen room but couldn’t turn down a very good upgrade for a very minimal cost.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I think this is a great idea also!  Has anyone had any luck lately?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

I think this is a great idea also!  Has anyone had any luck lately?

We have had great luck since the restart but now that cruises are filling up, maybe not quite so much now.  
Those low capacity sailings have been fabulous, though!  

2 of my last 4 Princess cruises, I was not able to select my own cabin.  Just a deck, location and category.  The website would not allow me to select a specific cabin, and the sales person was also unable to give me a specific cabin.  

On my upcoming cruise, I was able to get a specific cabin, but I have bid for an upgrade, which is of course not for a specific cabin.

Sailing on 11 night cruise on Majestic Princess tomorrow in Australia.   Cruise has been booked out for about a month now.  Paid for guaranteed balcony cabin as my husband and I unlike most people don't mind where our cabin is located as we like walking,  never feel seasick and are good deep sleepers.  Therefore we ignored the emails about bidding for an upgrade. 

Received an email about 2 weeks ago with our cabin number R735, a premium deluxe balcony cabin.   Quite pleased about this as we have never had an aft facing cabin before and apparently it has a larger balcony too.  It will be a nice experience to have this different location.  So the free upgrade fairy is still alive and well. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I booked on March 5, 2024, Daimond Princess, Singapore to Tokyo.      Booked the cruise several months ago, only choice of booking was OG Guarantee.     

So there is not always a choice.    Princess site has the cruise as "Not Available" for the last few months.  So I am thinking its totally booked. (unless large TA have booked blocks of rooms,  which will end up bing released).

It will be interesting to see available after final payments.

Final payment is due in about 30 days, will be looking for ward to the bidding process. 

See what happens.