Beatles cut from Joy

Maplemoose

4 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Back to the Beatles, we're planning to go there on the Joy last September but when we saw the line & size of the crowd, DW said heck no ... and occupancy was around 70% to 75% only.  

I'm not standing in line to see a cover band...that's for sure.  I'll find entertainment elsewhere.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

It's still a month away...but I'm wishing it was closer! I'll be onboard the Joy March 18th and will report back. I certainly don't plan to go to the Beatles show if offered, but I hope it's offered for all y'all expecting it.

A total aside, big surprise, eh? Can't NCL, just on one ship, put music in a Syd's/Cavern Club environment that's from like the late 90's or 2000's? I know I ask a lot, but I just don't want no Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, etc...I know you all do! I get it and I understand. I'm just asking for one ship for us Millennials. I suppose if I'm cruising in twenty to thirty years I'll be happy though. 🤠

Ha ha ha. Yes I was going to say if you hold off cruising for twenty years they will be covering  Nirvana and  Pearl Jam. Which I wouldn't mind. I kind of liked the music my kids listened to. Can't say I will want to be cruising 40 years from now though. 

Didn't realize the Joy had The Beatles shows.  Saw them on the Bliss in 2019 (I'm of a younger generation and didn't realize the significance of the Cavern Club at the time) and then on the Encore 2021.  The group on the Bliss was so good that I have basically learned everything about The Beatles since then, and even took a British Isles cruise in 2022 that stopped in Liverpool.  May just have to start considering the Joy, if the Beatles aren't gone for good.  Sounds like they aren't.  

Edited by SomewhereGirl

I have seen them in the theatre ... The Cavern club is just too tiny for me. They were okay when singing but when they started the chatter between themselves and the strong russian accent came out it was a little off putting lol.

13 minutes ago, Jldevlin said:

I have seen them in the theatre ... The Cavern club is just too tiny for me. They were okay when singing but when they started the chatter between themselves and the strong russian accent came out it was a little off putting lol.

Was it a case of "Back in the USSR"?  BTW, the most covered song ever is "Yesterday".

I hope it's not cancelled!  I heard they are taking a long break on the Epic (I am sailing it again in April), as apparently one of the members was recently injured.  

Glad to hear they do Beatles shows in the main theatre on the Joy, last time I sailed it (last march), they only performed in the Joy's tiny weird cavern club (I preferred the Epic and Bliss' caverns with room to dance).

53 minutes ago, Pat.D said:

(I preferred the Epic and Bliss' caverns with room to dance).

I kind of preferred the one on the Joy over the one on the Bliss.  On the Joy there was standing room that didn't put you at an odd angle to view the stage - I was standing past the back of the bar, in the hall toward the crew-only door.

12 hours ago, Pat.D said:

Glad to hear it!  Do you know if the Elton John cover band that was replacing them staying on?

I read on another side that the Elton John cover band were given a ten week contract.    Hope that is true as I would like another source of nightly entertainment.   As our sailing is before yours, I will definitely report back.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Didn't realize the Joy had The Beatles shows.  Saw them on the Bliss in 2019 (I'm of a younger generation and didn't realize the significance of the Cavern Club at the time) and then on the Encore 2021.  The group on the Bliss was so good that I have basically learned everything about The Beatles since then, and even took a British Isles cruise in 2022 that stopped in Liverpool.

Wow, you went all-in on the Beatles, even your cruise critic handle.  I hope you've seen the "Love" show in Las Vegas.  It is phenomenal. 

On 2/14/2023 at 6:55 AM, Raleigh Traveler said:

They are playing to the demographics. At 68, I felt like one of the younger cruisers on our recent trip. Footloose, Divas and Beatles align with the older group. Not geared to a younger audience for sure.

I have not seen a fuller (standing room only) venue on any cruise line. They obviously have selected correctly. But I see many younger folks thoroughly enjoying themselves there every night too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Wow, you went all-in on the Beatles, even your cruise critic handle.  I hope you've seen the "Love" show in Las Vegas.  It is phenomenal. 

Was planning to but when I was last in Vegas the show was closed because of Covid.  😭  I'd be totally bummed if the ship shows were also canceled. On the Encore the only shows I went to were the Beatles at The Cavern Club twice and the theater once.  The production quality just varies by group and ship.

As another poster said, they obviously selected correctly.

Maybe in order to be more authentic, the Beatles decided to break up and go solo. I go to the MainStage Beatles shows, but if you want to hear more of them without the Cavern crowds, simply stand outside to listen on Oceanfront. It was also fun on Joy to see 'Ringo' eating breakfast outside the buffet every morning, although not as impressive as eating breakfast next to Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis on Getaway in the Baltics. 

16 hours ago, rj59 said:

It was also fun on Joy to see 'Ringo' eating breakfast outside the buffet every morning, although not as impressive as eating breakfast next to Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis on Getaway in the Baltics. 

This brought a smile to my face as we once hung out with them at Howl at the Moon on the Getaway a few years back.   They were very friendly.

On 2/14/2023 at 9:47 AM, cruiseny4life said:

It's still a month away...but I'm wishing it was closer! I'll be onboard the Joy March 18th and will report back. I certainly don't plan to go to the Beatles show if offered, but I hope it's offered for all y'all expecting it.

A total aside, big surprise, eh? Can't NCL, just on one ship, put music in a Syd's/Cavern Club environment that's from like the late 90's or 2000's? I know I ask a lot, but I just don't want no Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, etc...I know you all do! I get it and I understand. I'm just asking for one ship for us Millennials. I suppose if I'm cruising in twenty to thirty years I'll be happy though. 🤠

Though I am not a millennial, and born on the Gen x /Baby Boomer cusp, I have had no desire to go to Syd Norman's or the Cavern Club to hear music from just one group. I guess I listened to Fleetwood Mac and the Beatles so much when I was young, I really do not think it would be worth fighting the crowd to see these performances. I like more variety. I prefer to see the groups that play out by the pool or in the Spinnaker to being in one of the more crowded clubs. Certainly do not want to wait in line to get in.

I like it when a DJ or band can read the crowd, and play a variety of music that most of the people will enjoy. By the pool on a warm weather itinerary, I like to have a steel drum band that plays some reggae etc. and a DJ that plays a variety of music when the band is not there. Though during one of my favorite afternoons by the pool, on a late spring cruise, was when they were playing classic hits rock music. I looked around and the crowd was mostly my age group.

So I guess I would not care if the Beatles tribute group was gone, but I feel bad for anyone who is counting on seeing them, to have them pulled at the last minute. They (NCL) know when contracts end so a gap between contracts is not a good excuse for an advertised band to not be there.

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2023 at 5:53 PM, SomewhereGirl said:

Didn't realize the Joy had The Beatles shows.  Saw them on the Bliss in 2019 (I'm of a younger generation and didn't realize the significance of the Cavern Club at the time) and then on the Encore 2021.  The group on the Bliss was so good that I have basically learned everything about The Beatles since then, and even took a British Isles cruise in 2022 that stopped in Liverpool.  May just have to start considering the Joy, if the Beatles aren't gone for good.  Sounds like they aren't.  

The group on the Bliss in I believe was called "The Beatles Experience" from Argentina.  They were excellent!

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 5:53 PM, SomewhereGirl said:

Me too! We saw The Beatles Experience on the Bliss in 2019 right before Covid hit, and I was so impressed that I have had the radio on my car tuned to Sirius Beatle's channel ever since. Have learned a lot that I never knew.

Edited by KateQ22003
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

Me too! We saw The Beatles Experience on the Bliss in 2019 right before Covid hit, and I was so impressed that I have had the radio on my car tuned to Sirius Beatle's channel ever since. Have learned a lot that I never knew.

We dragged our sons to see a traveling Beatles "Rain" group a few years ago.  Told them this is classic music they needed to hear.  They loved the concert and we all had a great time. 

Looking forward to our 12 days on Joy.  Good songs and live music are always fun☺️

• Like 1