Questions.

crdtrnr

I have never sailed on Princess, but have on other lines.

I have some questions,  am thinking of booking the Ruby.

1.  Is the upgrade to plus a good deal?

2.  What is the premium deserts?

3. What is the medallion experience?

Thanks for your help.

We generally book "Plus" because we want the internet (bad as it may be...) and gratuities are covered.  We not *really* big drinkers but just knowing that what we would like is "covered" then it just makes sense for us.  Everybody has to factor in their own situation(s).

• Like 4

LOVED the medallion !

I was a bit leery at first but soon got used to it.

You have NO room key. I wore mine around my neck & my husband got a clip for his shirt.

When you get about 2 feet from your cabin , you hear a click & your door is unlocked.

When you get on & off the ship, they just click your medallion.

Most people do like like this part but I found it a bit amusing....there is a built in GPS.

Crew carry what looks like a large iphone. When you order a drink they click it on your medallion. They then see your face & what drink package you have. 

I was at the table in the buffet when the waiter came over & I ordered a drink. Shortly after that, I got up & started the buffet line. I then felt a tap on my shoulder. It was the waiter with my drink....he knew exactly where I was !

2 hours ago, Shippy said:

Most people do like like this part but I found it a bit amusing....there is a built in GPS.

The Medallion used two types of technology:

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Near Field Communication (NFC)

There is no "GPS" component. The Medallion carries a unique identifier that is read by the ship system. There is no other information encoded in the Medallion itself. All the important stuff is located on the servers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I don’t think that is right. I think it is an RFID transponder that gets its location picked up by a series of radio frequency sensors. 

I think the majority of people knew what I meant.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shippy said:

by saying GPS...people get the idea that they can find you anywhere,

by saying BLE/NFC/RFID    might be a bit confusing to most.

I kind of agree with Thrak who knows the Medallion tech.  Best not to use a term like GPS unless you are positive it is correct as it may mislead people.  There is a huge difference between GPS which requires working communications with many satellites and RFID/Bluetooth/NFC.

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
spelling
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shippy said:

There are a lot of paranoid people who detest the idea that their every move is being tracked and that Big Brother is watching over them.  I tend to think that the idea of being GPS tracked by the medallion system might be a turnoff to some and I'd hate to think that some would eschew Princess in favor of another line over this issue.  So I don't think that precision is unwarranted here and I thank Thrak for that precision.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Shippy said:

57 minutes ago, Shippy said:

I think the majority of people knew what I meant.....

I think generally we should strive to provide accurate information rather than dumb it down to the lowest common denominator. If someone is confused by a technical response then they should seek clarification or remain ignorant.

Well on cruise critic they said the medallion has GPS so the ship should have known I was only 10 minutes away from the port and waited instead of leaving without me!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1