Classic Beverage Package Changes and Devaluation

j0hnnyb0yyyyy

Just needed to vent my frustrations. I decided I wanted an “elevated” cruise experience for a quick, semi last minute cruise getaway. I’m normally a Carnival and Royal Caribbean guy. Ive sailed celebrity once before and had fun. But honestly, Celebrity tends to be a little over my budget ordinarily. So we booked a cruise that was 58 days out, and booked an Aqua class room. Wasn’t cheap, but it presented a good value for the dollar in my opinion. And i showed this value to 7 other people to get them to book as well. 4 rooms in total. Now since my booking, a little over 2 weeks ago, they changed the contents of the Classic Beverage package, and took away the full inclusion of the contents of the ZERO PROOF package, and left over some basic stuff like coffee, etc.  I personally found value that it, when i booked, included items like Evian, Redbull, and Vitamin Water. Now that is no longer included, and am now  told to pay the difference for the premium package if i want those things, instead of honoring what I originally purchased. I like to think im a man of principle. And i cant just cancel the “package”, as a vote of my wallet, as it was included in the original fare, which i obviously cant adjust now being so close to sailing. Ive just never seen such blatant disregard for guests concerns from a hospitality company before. 

END RANT lol

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

Very frustrating!  Not sure it would make a difference but have you reached out to Celebrity and asked them to honor the package inclusions you purchased when you booked?

Of course I have. They obviously don’t care. I just dont understand Why they dont grandfather things like that. They’re own sister company is capable of grandfathering. The whole room service thing that I’ve seen posted here, doesn’t personally matter to me, but i would be pissed to about that perk taken away if i already had booked beforehand. I see people say the $10 charge isn’t a big deal, but hello people…. That $10obviously  matters to a multi billion dollar company, so principally it should matter to you too!

• Like 3

I'm a bit puzzled because I'm pretty sure the website has never shown all the zero proof beverages as being included in the classic package.  (They haven't actually changed the package.) 

Where the confusion lied was in the cruise planner which you can only see after you book.  That is the only place I've seen the classic package show that everything in the zero proof package is included.  I agree the incorrect information in the cruise planner is a problem but it's not something you would have had access to when deciding whether to book.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I understand your issue. You did not say but it sounds like you got the all in fare I know Celebrity has been giving a lot of cabin credit so you may have some cabin credit to use.  That said you do not have to upgrade to the premium Bev package to get your  energy drinks.  Just pay the difference on a per drink basis.  Much cheaper this way unless you plan to drink many.  Our last cruise we had the classic but just paid the extra for Martinis at the Martini bar.   

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, volk904 said:

I understand your issue. You did not say but it sounds like you got the all in fare I know Celebrity has been giving a lot of cabin credit so you may have some cabin credit to use.  That said you do not have to upgrade to the premium Bev package to get your  energy drinks.  Just pay the difference on a per drink basis.  Much cheaper this way unless you plan to drink many.  Our last cruise we had the classic but just paid the extra for Martinis at the Martini bar.   

With non-alcoholic drinks that are not covered like energy drinks, you pay the full amount unless you have the premium drink package.  Paying the difference only applies to alcohol drinks over the drink dollar limit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I'm a bit puzzled because I'm pretty sure the website has never shown all the zero proof beverages as being included in the classic package.  (They haven't actually changed the package.) 

Where the confusion lied was in the cruise planner which you can only see after you book.  That is the only place I've seen the classic package show that everything in the zero proof package is included.  I agree the incorrect information in the cruise planner is a problem but it's not something you would have had access to when deciding whether to book.

I cant say for sure, of what it said pre-cruise as i dont have recollection or screenshots, but i can certainly tell you that what was said in the pre cruise planner and the screen shot i sent out led to the booking of 3 more rooms. 

12 minutes ago, j0hnnyb0yyyyy said:

I cant say for sure, of what it said pre-cruise as i dont have recollection or screenshots, but i can certainly tell you that what was said in the pre cruise planner and the screen shot i sent out led to the booking of 3 more rooms. 

The cruise planner accessible only after booking, is the only place that mistake has been published, so you are likely to have a fight on your hands getting them to back down on that one.

All material available pre-booking shows the correct separation between classic and zero-proof.

You are not the first to have found the error on the cruise planner, but AFAIK it really is an error...

• Thanks 1

Classic drinks package has NEVER included Evian, Red Bull, vitamin water, etc., so where you got this idea from is beyond me.

I have always upgraded to Premium for the simple reason that I prefer S. Pellegrino and have the option for Agua Panna, and so on (I also prefer the premium spirits offered like Grey Goose, Woodford Reserve and more).

This leads me to be completely confused by your complaint. You must have misread (or misunderstood) something along the way.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

The cruise planner accessible only after booking, is the only place that mistake has been published, so you are likely to have a fight on your hands getting them to back down on that one.

All material available pre-booking shows the correct separation between classic and zero-proof.

You are not the first to have found the error on the cruise planner, but AFAIK it really is an error...

Listen, I can see your point, I can. But a cruise planner is accessible to ANYBODY who knows someone else that has booked a cruise. Just like the 3 other cabins in my group saw what I sent before they booked. I have a VERY valid perception of what I thought was included to ultimately not be. As far as a “fight” on my hands, there is no fight. I grieved my complaint to whom it matters and it didn’t matter. I came here to vent a frustration is all. Not search for a solution lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

Classic drinks package has NEVER included Evian, Red Bull, vitamin water, etc., so where you got this idea from is beyond me.

I have always upgraded to Premium for the simple reason that I prefer S. Pellegrino and have the option for Agua Panna, and so on (I also prefer the premium spirits offered like Grey Goose, Woodford Reserve and more).

This leads me to be completely confused by your complaint. You must have misread (or misunderstood) something along the way.

Considering they’ve altered drink packages and took away some, and raised prices drastically, it is not beyond the realm of comprehension to think that they changed inclusions of the packages as well. 

Therefore I’m very sorry that you are confused. But yes, In the cruise planner, it said zero proof was included which has lead me to my perception since I booked. Also the fact I now have to tell my friends, that what I showed you was included when you booked, is no longer the case and expect extra charges afterwards if you want. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

complete agreement.   Classis did cover non alcoholic coffees/teas at the Cafe al Bacio but is never covered the other items.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Married90 said:

complete agreement.   Classis did cover non alcoholic coffees/teas at the Cafe al Bacio but is never covered the other items.   

I’m not arguing the history of a drink package ! 
I’m stating that I (and my friends) apparently had a false assumption of what was included based on digital data the cruise line published. PERIOD. 

The fact that some of you want to argue with my over my VALID PERCEPTION, from what I saw with my own eyes, says more about you, then me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, this is REALLY disappointing. Granted, my bad because I didn't read the fine print. It never occurred to me that the AI add on didn't include the NA stuff. 

How do you find the price to upgrade to premium? I'm considering the Zero proof package, but might upgrade if it makes sense to do so.

in Cruise Planner for my upcoming EDGE Feb 24 '23 cruise

Definitely different than was posted above by @Justprettypink

Classic Package

Full Sailing - 10 Days

From

$80.99 / per guest per day
$89.00Reg.
Reserve

Enjoy the drink you want, when you want it, morning, noon, and night, with a fantastic array of liquors, wines for any palate, beers from light and crisp to dark and robust. Wines by the bottle are discounted by 15%.

Highlights

• Each adult of legal drinking age assigned to the same stateroom must purchase this package.

What's Included

• Vodkas: Absolut and flavors, New Amsterdam, Smirnoff, Tito’s
  • Whiskeys: Dewar’s White Label, Famous Grouse, Jim Beam, Johnnie Walker Red, Monkey Shoulder, Seagram’s VO
  • Rums: Bacardi, Captain Morgan’s, Kraken Black Spiced, Malibu, Myer’s, Wray & Nephew
  • Tequilas: Don Julio Blanco, Teremana Blanco
  • Beers: Alaska Brewing beers on Alaska sailings. Coors Light, Corona, Franziskaner, Heineken, Kirin, Kirin Light, Miller Lite, Moretti, Newcastle Brown Ale, Strongbow hard ciders, Budweiser, Bud Light, Michelob Ultra
  • Gins: Beefeater, Gordon’s, Praire Gin
  • Liqueurs and Cognacs: Campari, Galliano, Hennessy VS, Kahlua, Licor 43, Ouzo, Romana Sambuca, Southern Comfort, Tia Maria
  • A large selection of wines from various regions around the world, including California, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Chile and Australia

Important details and advisements

• Wines by the bottle are discounted by 15%.
  • Package prices may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries.
  • Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar or room service.
  • Packages must be purchased for the entire cruise.
  • In the event that the package is purchased onboard, after the first day, guest will be charge for the number of nights remaining in voyage.
  • Packages can be sold until the last two days of the cruise, or at the discretion of the Beverage Operations Manager.
  • Packages can be upgraded at any time up to the last two days of the cruise, or at the Beverage Operations Manager’s Discretion.
  • No refunds are to be issued after the day of Embarkation for prepaid packages or after 24 hours for packages purchased onboard.
  • In extreme circumstances, such as a sudden illness, Beverage Packages can be refunded but only at the discretion of the Beverage Operation Manager.
  • If and when a package is canceled, guest will be charged for the number of the nights the package was held.
  • Availability of beverage packages varies by ship.
  • Offers are non-transferable and not combinable with Captain Club discounts or any other offer or promotion.
  • See the terms of our guest alcohol policy.
Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

If X had to pay for all the misprints/web pricing errors, etc they have made they would be out of business.  It's always bad when you see someone get misled/ripped off and it really sucks but it's been happening for years and years now.  It's probably the most consistent thing that X does. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

If X had to pay for all the misprints/web pricing errors, etc they have made they would be out of business.  It's always bad when you see someone get misled/ripped off and it really sucks but it's been happening for years and years now.  It's probably the most consistent thing that X does. 

THIS!!!!!

Thank you for understanding me instead if being another fanboy/fangirl!

12 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

in Cruise Planner for my upcoming EDGE Feb 24 '23 cruise

Definitely different than was posted above by @Justprettypink

Classic Package

Full Sailing - 10 Days

From

$80.99 / per guest per day
$89.00Reg.
Reserve

Enjoy the drink you want, when you want it, morning, noon, and night, with a fantastic array of liquors, wines for any palate, beers from light and crisp to dark and robust. Wines by the bottle are discounted by 15%.

Highlights

• Each adult of legal drinking age assigned to the same stateroom must purchase this package.

What's Included

• Vodkas: Absolut and flavors, New Amsterdam, Smirnoff, Tito’s
  • Whiskeys: Dewar’s White Label, Famous Grouse, Jim Beam, Johnnie Walker Red, Monkey Shoulder, Seagram’s VO
  • Rums: Bacardi, Captain Morgan’s, Kraken Black Spiced, Malibu, Myer’s, Wray & Nephew
  • Tequilas: Don Julio Blanco, Teremana Blanco
  • Beers: Alaska Brewing beers on Alaska sailings. Coors Light, Corona, Franziskaner, Heineken, Kirin, Kirin Light, Miller Lite, Moretti, Newcastle Brown Ale, Strongbow hard ciders, Budweiser, Bud Light, Michelob Ultra
  • Gins: Beefeater, Gordon’s, Praire Gin
  • Liqueurs and Cognacs: Campari, Galliano, Hennessy VS, Kahlua, Licor 43, Ouzo, Romana Sambuca, Southern Comfort, Tia Maria
  • A large selection of wines from various regions around the world, including California, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Chile and Australia

Important details and advisements

• Wines by the bottle are discounted by 15%.
  • Package prices may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries.
  • Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar or room service.
  • Packages must be purchased for the entire cruise.
  • In the event that the package is purchased onboard, after the first day, guest will be charge for the number of nights remaining in voyage.
  • Packages can be sold until the last two days of the cruise, or at the discretion of the Beverage Operations Manager.
  • Packages can be upgraded at any time up to the last two days of the cruise, or at the Beverage Operations Manager’s Discretion.
  • No refunds are to be issued after the day of Embarkation for prepaid packages or after 24 hours for packages purchased onboard.
  • In extreme circumstances, such as a sudden illness, Beverage Packages can be refunded but only at the discretion of the Beverage Operation Manager.
  • If and when a package is canceled, guest will be charged for the number of the nights the package was held.
  • Availability of beverage packages varies by ship.
  • Offers are non-transferable and not combinable with Captain Club discounts or any other offer or promotion.
  • See the terms of our guest alcohol policy.

Yes. They’ve definitely changed it from when i booked. 

F1DC3256-6269-4F64-B6E0-2B1976DD83BA.jpeg

2 minutes ago, j0hnnyb0yyyyy said:

Yes. They’ve definitely changed it from when i booked. 

F1DC3256-6269-4F64-B6E0-2B1976DD83BA.jpeg

But you wouldn't have seen that until after you booked. So you booked it seeing what everywhere else said about the classic package vs the premium package (ie nowhere else before you booked did it say that classic included zero proof) and knowing full well that the classic package you were getting didnt include evian, vitamin water and red bull etc. So I don't understand the issue? 

Just now, OysterD said:

But you wouldn't have seen that until after you booked. So you booked it seeing what everywhere else said about the classic package vs the premium package (ie nowhere else before you booked did it say that classic included zero proof) and knowing full well that the classic package you were getting didnt include evian, vitamin water and red bull etc. So I don't understand the issue? 

My aunt showed me her cruise planner, which showed the same thing and I based my decision off of. Any other questions ? Figured it was reliable coming from a verified celebrity cruise webpage and all. 

• Like 3