Ask Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ CEO: Call for Questions for Frank Del Rio

CCAubs

When will Latitudes’ Ambassador level guests be given complimentary access to the Vibe Beach Club?
Providing access to such a small number of guests per sailing would add value to Latitudes highest level and provide an additional ‘thank you’ to top level repeat cruisers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Rather than increasing service charges and cruise prices, has NCL considered going back to NOT giving away free alcohol?  I feel like those of us who don't drink are subsidizing drinkers.

Also, have you considered offering a soda package as a free at sea option instead of the alcohol package?

• Like 6

On 2/24/2023 at 4:08 PM, alwalaska said:

Also, have you considered offering a soda package as a free at sea option instead of the alcohol package?

This!  Please!

So many things onboard are catered towards alcohol it is annoying. I know I'm outnumbered on this, so understand why it's popular, but it would be nice for the non-alcoholic drinkers to be thrown a bone.

Many of my latitudes perks go unused. The latitudes party serves alcoholic drinks (though they will usually bring you a mocktail if you ask nicely), the wine tasting, the free bottle of wine for one of the dinner vouchers, etc.

I always decline open bar on free-at-sea and separately purchase the soda package.  Would much better switch free-at-sea to soda package and pay the lower service charge.

• Like 6

Recently I was on the Star and every single cruise employee that I spoke with mentioned the crowded  crew quarters.  My room steward mentioned that he had to get up at least 2 hours before his shift in order to use the single shower for 4 people that all had to get up at the same time.  I asked since the ship was 1000 passengers under capacity which meant ~ 500 rooms could they not use a room that was unoccupied?  He had this look on his face that he would be thrown overboard if anyone did that.

Every single crewmember mentioned  how much better it was working on a larger ship.  What is NCL doing to ensure they can  retain the crews on smaller ships vs having them move to large ships withing NCL or to a competitor?

• Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 6:36 PM, Knicks1130 said:

With the service cut to once a day… what about cabins with 3 or 4 people that have Pullman beds.  Will they remain out/open all day? Will someone come back in the evening to make them up? (Not a full 2nd service)

Recently had a cabin with 4 and it was serviced once a day. Pullman was left out. I put it up and down myself for extra space during the day, but had to be careful not to let it lock into the ceiling.

On 2/15/2023 at 2:22 PM, CCAubs said:

One of the biggest cruise industry events, Seatrade Cruise Global, is quickly approaching. At the event, cruise line CEOs sit side by side to discuss all things cruising. This year’s panel of esteemed CEOs includes Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ President & CEO, Frank Del Rio.

And he wants to hear from Cruise Critic members. 

Do you have a question that you’d love to ask Mr. Del Rio? Are you wondering what’s ahead for onboard dining and entertainment? Have thoughts on how NCLH can leverage technology to improve the cruise experience? Do you have questions about the cruise line’s sustainability efforts? We want to hear from you.

Share your questions below, and your question might be one asked of Mr. Del Rio at this year’s event.

I just returned from my 41st cruise. I am platinum on multiple cruise lines. I’m an NCL stockholder.   But I was very disappointed with my latest cruise. The decrease in room cleaning doesn’t bother me because I never did have them come twice per day. The main thing that upset my sister and I was the lack of entertainment. They had only one big musical show in the main theater. Otherwise they had only acts that you could already watch in the comedy club. Like some other people I was also disturbed by the surcharges on multiple items in the specialty restaurants. It has pretty much become that you cannot eat dinner without a surcharge. That didn’t bother me too much because food is less important to me than entertainment. In fact I lost 3 pounds on the cruise.   Bottom line, if Norwegian cruise line does not bring back the entertainment I won’t be cruising with them again!

• Like 5

On 2/20/2023 at 11:31 AM, chillyw said:

What is the strategy for Norwegian on entertainment going forward? Entertainment was a compromise differentiator for the brand, and with the cuts, it feels like it's undergoing a transition period at the moment.

Norwegian Cruise Line is shooting itself in the foot! If you think about it the repeat customers are not coming back because they want to visit Cozumel for the 40th time! We come back because we enjoy the experience of the entertainment and the whole package but now they’ve taken away that package.   At one time, Carnival Cruise Line became less interested with repeat customers, then with new customers, so they cut a lot of their entertainment, and still had the discos effectively getting rid of most of their established business.   That was the last time I cruised with Carnival Cruise Line. Prior to that I had cruised 23 cruises with Carnival Cruise Line!    If Norwegian Cruise line does the same thing, then they will also lose my business. If all of the cruise lines do this, then I guess I will have to change to land-based trips.   I’m pretty sure that I am not alone in this feeling! If you don’t want my business, I will go elsewhere!

• Like 4

Frank, you stated that NCL brands have “shifted our focus to relaunching our operations while providing our discerning guests the same unparalleled vacation experience they expect from our leading brands.”  How does cutting back or charging extra for food, beverage, room service, and entertainment offerings, while also cutting back on housekeeping help to achieve what you say NCL is focused on?

jana60. im sorry, but if your main criteria is the on board entertainment, save yourself a few $1000, get an inexpensive hotel in new york, and book a few broadway shows. 

my only criteria is getting on a cruise ship and sailing to different ports. i dont give a rats tushie about the entertainment. my last 2 cruises, i didnt even bother with the shows, i can forgive the food, as they are cooking for a variety of tastes for over 2000 people, and if you dont like the upcharge, dont order that item. my #1 choice is cagneys, the same steak in le bistro comes with a $10 upcharge, lobster is always more expensive, regardless of the restaurant (land or sea).

cant you just enjoy being on the ship?  by the way,(if im not mistaken) most of the major cruise lines have increased the dsc.

fyi, we're sapphire, will be diamond after b2b july cruise, and have been on 24 ncl cruises since 2010.

ive stated before, my only real complaint  is the hamburger buns always fall apart before i'm finished with my burger/

my only advice( should you choose to accept it) is enjoy the cruise for what it is (a cruise) 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, complawyer said:

jana60. im sorry, but if your main criteria is the on board entertainment, save yourself a few $1000, get an inexpensive hotel in new york, and book a few broadway shows. 

my only criteria is getting on a cruise ship and sailing to different ports. i dont give a rats tushie about the entertainment. my last 2 cruises, i didnt even bother with the shows, i can forgive the food, as they are cooking for a variety of tastes for over 2000 people, and if you dont like the upcharge, dont order that item. my #1 choice is cagneys, the same steak in le bistro comes with a $10 upcharge, lobster is always more expensive, regardless of the restaurant (land or sea).

cant you just enjoy being on the ship?  by the way,(if im not mistaken) most of the major cruise lines have increased the dsc.

fyi, we're sapphire, will be diamond after b2b july cruise, and have been on 24 ncl cruises since 2010.

ive stated before, my only real complaint  is the hamburger buns always fall apart before i'm finished with my burger/

my only advice( should you choose to accept it) is enjoy the cruise for what it is (a cruise) 

I agree with you to an extent, I think that the Broadway shows, and especially showing the same expensive shows over and over, aren't necessarily all that appealing. I almost never go to them either.

I'd rather get a broad range of options, with more variety, and it would likely be cheaper for Norwegian in the end.

Electronic DJ/Club in one area, dueling pianos in another, rock cover band in another, magicians / comedians / improv in another, and maybe a small show like prohibition all could be setup to give options without having to pay extensive crews for shows and elaborate sets.

They kind of do this today, but a lot of times it's for limited times (ex: electronic DJ only runs from 10:30-midnight). Would like to see them expand so the options are longer and overlap, using their venues for longer.

just remember that the op was complaining/threatening "NEVER" to cruise ncl again if they didnt up the level of entertainment to his/her standards. i was being a little  facetious when i suggested they attend plays on broadway, but again if the only reason they sails with  norwegian is for the entertainment, they need to look elsewhere.

Why are so many of the Latitudes tier benefits alcohol-based?  There is Wines Around the World, Sail and Sustain, a cocktail party and free wine with dinner.  None of these are really an advantage when most people have the beverage package.  Why not include benefits such as a free shuttle to the pier, a free photo or a special theatre event?

Entertainment on NCL has truly declined in the past three years.  I miss the production casts.  Will you bring this back?

Finally, how would you feel if you paid over $10000 for a cruise and there were toenail clippings all over the cabin floor and a diaper in the cabin drawer?  This happened to us on a recent NCL cruise.  Actually it has happened more than once because room attendants don’t have time to vacuum.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have one question for @CCAubs:  Do you know if Mr. Sommer will take the place of Mr. Del Rio at this seminar?  There are arguments both ways, but it's nice to have a definitive answer.

The questions that I have for Mr. Del Rio (which I asked in a different thread) can be transferred to Mr. Sommer.

Just now, Honolulu Blue said:

I have one question for @CCAubs:  Do you know if Mr. Sommer will take the place of Mr. Del Rio at this seminar?  There are arguments both ways, but it's nice to have a definitive answer.

The questions that I have for Mr. Del Rio (which I asked in a different thread) can be transferred to Mr. Sommer.

That's a great question. We've yet to hear how the panel might change given the recent announcement, but I can share an update if we're made aware of one!

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2023 at 9:29 PM, geo.mac said:

Since there are multiple cruise CEO’s on this panel:  why is there not agreement on the best way to administer muster drills?  If safety and or customer satisfaction is the priority, shouldn’t all lines be on the same page and sharing best practices?  Can we get NCL to change course and reinstate e-muster?

looks like the pressure of this question was too much!

• Haha 4

On 2/15/2023 at 2:22 PM, CCAubs said:

One of the biggest cruise industry events, Seatrade Cruise Global, is quickly approaching. At the event, cruise line CEOs sit side by side to discuss all things cruising. This year’s panel of esteemed CEOs includes Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ President & CEO, Frank Del Rio.

And he wants to hear from Cruise Critic members. 

Do you have a question that you’d love to ask Mr. Del Rio? Are you wondering what’s ahead for onboard dining and entertainment? Have thoughts on how NCLH can leverage technology to improve the cruise experience? Do you have questions about the cruise line’s sustainability efforts? We want to hear from you.

Share your questions below, and your question might be one asked of Mr. Del Rio at this year’s event.

When will this conference take place?  Or has it come and gone?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

When will this conference take place?  Or has it come and gone?

from https://www.seatradecruiseglobal.com/en/Trade-Show/why-attend.html

Join the international cruise industry to ride the waves of innovation shaping the future of cruising, only at Seatrade Cruise Global on 27-30 March in Fort Lauderdale.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

from https://www.seatradecruiseglobal.com/en/Trade-Show/why-attend.html

Join the international cruise industry to ride the waves of innovation shaping the future of cruising, only at Seatrade Cruise Global on 27-30 March in Fort Lauderdale.

That is definitely getting sooner. It will be interesting to hear which of the many questions posed on the various cc threads are asked, and of course what answers are given.

Does anyone know on which of those dates the panel discussion will be?

Hello from Seatrade 2023 in Ft. Lauderdale!

The State of the Industry was held yesterday. Due to time constraints, we were limited to just one question per CEO (including one from @fshagan!), but it was amazing to have the opportunity to include the cruisers' voice in the conversation for the first time ever.

Here's a link to our recap of the event and CEO answers: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/7330/ Including a photo, too 🙂

We received A TON of questions across all of the cruise line forums (and lots of fantastic feedback) for the lines, and are going to be following up by sending all of it their way as well. We'll also use it on the Cruise Critic side for future story ideas, too. 

A huge thank you to all of you for sharing your thoughts, questions and experiences -- this community is incredible.

SOTI 2023.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCAubs said:

Hello from Seatrade 2023 in Ft. Lauderdale!

The State of the Industry was held yesterday. Due to time constraints, we were limited to just one question per CEO (including one from @fshagan!), but it was amazing to have the opportunity to include the cruisers' voice in the conversation for the first time ever.

Here's a link to our recap of the event and CEO answers: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/7330/ Including a photo, too 🙂

We received A TON of questions across all of the cruise line forums (and lots of fantastic feedback) for the lines, and are going to be following up by sending all of it their way as well. We'll also use it on the Cruise Critic side for future story ideas, too. 

A huge thank you to all of you for sharing your thoughts, questions and experiences -- this community is incredible.

SOTI 2023.jpg

Nice way to duck hard questions 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tony s said:

Nice way to duck hard questions 

It seems whoever picked from the huge amount of questions on various cc forums, just looked for softball questions.

Lesson learned, if they do this again, don't waste my time asking any question.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It seems whoever picked from the huge amount of questions on various cc forums, just looked for softball questions.

Lesson learned, if they do this again, don't waste my time asking any question.

Like most politicians, when asked a specific question, they somehow manage to turn it toward one of their rehearsed talking points.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Like most politicians, when asked a specific question, they somehow manage to turn it toward one of their rehearsed talking points.

There's a lot of politics involved in getting to the top of any corporation of any size, so this conduct doesn't surprise me in the least.

• Like 1