Vista Suite configuration- what about getting to bathroom when hide a bed is folded out??!

croozen

Kind of a silly question- but it never stopped me before!

We are booked for a Baltic Cruise this summer on the Nieuw Statendam in a Vista Suite on Deck 6.

The configuration is the opposite of what we are used to. That is, the bed is by the window/verandah, and the foldout couch is closer to the bathroom.

Our teenage son will be sleeping on the foldout. For those who have utilized the fold out for a third person, is it possible for the bed-sleepers to access the bathroom (walk past, shuffle?) when the hide a bed is open? 

I’m on the Koningsdam (another pinnacle class ship) now, in a vista suite reading your post…and got curious.  I actually couldn’t get the bed open, I’m sure the stewards take care of that. 

I think there’s room to get around with out much trouble.  The bed only has one fold so it would only stick out about the width of the couch itself.

I don’t think it can be moved against the other wall because there’s a wooden lip behind the bed. 78DB424E-45B3-4AF4-BACE-7B99F5F04B3C.thumb.jpeg.462aefd50b1ed6ca154b4d23fcd8418c.jpegD22373AC-84C7-43BA-AB0C-D6B8D0631C94.thumb.jpeg.2003725f484a86367708cc339bfdf85a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My family of four has stayed in two Vista Cabins, one on the Koningsdam and one on the Nieuw Statendam.  My 5'6" daughter sleeps on the sofa.  As the photo above indicates, it folds out, not across.  And no, you can't move the couch.  With the bed down, you have to shimmy your way to pass, as the clearance is less than 12 inches.  And since my daughter seems to enjoy sleeping with her feet hanging off the bed, every.single.time that nature called in the middle of the night, I would have to move her feet out of the way to pass.

How long is the sofa?  It appears very short.  When looking at other photos online, the couch appears to be longer.  I thought it was a convertabed where the back cushions are taken off, a foam pad put on top, and then made up with bedding.  Celebrity has them in their Solstice class ships.   I am disappointed that this is not the case.  I was hoping to have an option to sleep on the couch, if needed, for a back issue that I have.

25 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

How long is the sofa?  It appears very short. 

Unlike some HAL fans, I don't carry a tape measure with me, but I'd guess it's about 3 1/2 - 4 feet.  My wife and other daughter are both 5'2", and the thought of lying on the sofa never crossed their minds.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

How long is the sofa?  It appears very short.  When looking at other photos online, the couch appears to be longer.  I thought it was a convertabed where the back cushions are taken off, a foam pad put on top, and then made up with bedding.  Celebrity has them in their Solstice class ships.   I am disappointed that this is not the case.  I was hoping to have an option to sleep on the couch, if needed, for a back issue that I have.

The sofa folds out and makes into a standard twin-size bed.  Unlike the typical hide-a-bed that pulls up and out of the frame, these fold forward so the backrest of the bed becomes the front bed support.

Our 5'10" son slept on it and fit OK.  I'm 6'0" and tried it...length felt OK to me.  The mattress was quite firm so we asked our steward for extra padding.  He put a comforter under the sheet which helped some but the bed was still firm.  The bed did not sag down as a typical home hide-a-bed often does...that was a worry we had before using it.  As stated by others, the clearance from the foot of the bed to the desk is pretty tight.  I would say about 8" clearance.

If you are considering using the sofa as a bed, make sure your cabin is identified as a triple or quad cabin.  Double cabins still have the sofa but it doesn't make out into a bed.  Width-wise, it is only the width of a twin bed so far to short to sleep on in sofa mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies/detailed discussion. Particularly appreciate the photos taken in real time! Our son is 5 foot 10 and still growing, he might fit! Have resigned myself there will be shuffling. I see this as a design flaw when it’s a suite (triple) and another foot would really have made a world of difference. Will see how it goes! 

4 hours ago, croozen said:

Thank you for the replies/detailed discussion. Particularly appreciate the photos taken in real time! Our son is 5 foot 10 and still growing, he might fit! Have resigned myself there will be shuffling. I see this as a design flaw when it’s a suite (triple) and another foot would really have made a world of difference. Will see how it goes! 

If they are not all sold out, and unless you have your heart set on a "Vista Suite" (which is a suite in name only), you might consider one of the few angle balcony V-category balcony cabins that have an extended angle portion of floorspace.  On the Nieuw Statendam those are cabins 6049, 6052, 7058, 8031, and 8032.  That angle portion adds about 35-40 square feet of interior floor space to the cabin plus the balcony is a bit longer too.

The difference with these cabins is they move the desk to the added wedge of floor space.  Instead of being at the foot of the sofabed, the desk is now located beside the sofabed.  That frees up space to easily walk in front of the sofabed when it is extended.  We stayed in cabin 6052 last December and the added floor space was really noticeable both when the bed was open and when it was closed.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2023 at 7:32 AM, AFNavigator said:

If they are not all sold out, and unless you have your heart set on a "Vista Suite" (which is a suite in name only), you might consider one of the few angle balcony V-category balcony cabins that have an extended angle portion of floorspace.  On the Nieuw Statendam those are cabins 6049, 6052, 7058, 8031, and 8032.  That angle portion adds about 35-40 square feet of interior floor space to the cabin plus the balcony is a bit longer too.

The difference with these cabins is they move the desk to the added wedge of floor space.  Instead of being at the foot of the sofabed, the desk is now located beside the sofabed.  That frees up space to easily walk in front of the sofabed when it is extended.  We stayed in cabin 6052 last December and the added floor space was really noticeable both when the bed was open and when it was closed.

AFNavigator this is a great pro tip! Do the particular cabin #s you identified apply to other Pinnacle class ships? we are specifically looking at another cruise upcoming on the Rotterdam and wondering where its angle balcony cabins are. I will try researching myself by looking at deck plans and configurations, but any follow up wisdom you might have would be appreciated!

6 minutes ago, croozen said:

AFNavigator this is a great pro tip! Do the particular cabin #s you identified apply to other Pinnacle class ships? we are specifically looking at another cruise upcoming on the Rotterdam and wondering where its angle balcony cabins are. I will try researching myself by looking at deck plans and configurations, but any follow up wisdom you might have would be appreciated!

The specific cabin #s may be a bit different between the 3 Pinnacle class ships but those angle-balcony cabins are all in the same locations as on the Nieuw Statendam.  Be aware the similarly-located angle cabins on the non-Pinnacle ships are usually handicap-designated cabins.

The only drawback we saw with these cabins was that the outward view from the bed wasn't quite as good as from a regular balcony cabin due to the door/window being at an angle.  The door/window was regular width but looked narrower due to the angle.  That was a small price to pay for the added floorspace though.

7 hours ago, janmcn said:

That’s why we “downgrade “ ourselves to a Verandah on the new ships…don’t like the room layout with bed by Verandah door. 

I also don't like the layout of the Signature Suites on the Pinnacle Class ships so I won't book them.  I like them a lot on the Vista and Signature Class ships!  The new SS layout would only appeal to me if I was traveling with a child or friend that would sleep on the fold out Murphy bed in the dressing room area. It has the privacy wall.

~Nancy

• Like 1