For those who have cruised with Viking & Seabourn:

dcsam

I posted the same on the Viking board.  Not getting much response.  Perhaps I’ll get more input here.  

Debating between an Alaska cruise with either Seabourn (Odyssey) or Viking.

With all the flights and transfers, Viking would end up costing more and involves   more  (getting to and from

the ship).  Still… we love Viking (walk-around deck, casual, spa…).  But Seabourn sure would be easy-peasy and less cost. For those who have cruised both, how did Seabourn compare?

Thank you!

It’s no comparison. Viking is in the same category as Azamara and Oceania. Seabourn compares to Silversea and Regent. Fewer passengers, more crew, better service, better food, better everything. In Alaska I would absolutely go Seabourn because of the Expedition Team and zodiacs. 

• Like 5

We have sailed Seabourn, four times and recently completed our first Viking cruise around the horn in South America. We have sailed many lines with Crystal being our favorite and Alaska was on Crystal.

The Viking Jupiter was a well thought out and beautiful ship. The staff was excellent. The penthouse verandah was a nice stateroom, but after seeing the deluxe veranda staterooms, they would have been much too cramped. In our opinion the food in every venue was very mediocre and sometimes poor which came as a surprise. Perhaps it was sourcing from South America?The included excursions were fair. The paid excursions ranged from pretty good to dreadful and poorly planned.

if I were choosing between Seabourn and Viking, I would definitely choose Seabourn. Of course we have not sailed Seabourn since before Covid and they probably have some of the same issues all lines are facing.

• Like 1

Never having sailed either ... Good start .... we have booked an Odyssey cruise.

We looked for the itinerary first and then suitable ships for that itinerary.

We chose SB because the smaller ship will get more off the beaten track. IMHO Viking ships are too big for what we wanted.

We looked at Silversea but felt it wasn't worth the money.

Edited by MBP&O2/O

13 hours ago, barcrab said:

We have sailed Seabourn, four times and recently completed our first Viking cruise around the horn in South America. We have sailed many lines with Crystal being our favorite and Alaska was on Crystal.

The Viking Jupiter was a well thought out and beautiful ship. The staff was excellent. The penthouse verandah was a nice stateroom, but after seeing the deluxe veranda staterooms, they would have been much too cramped. In our opinion the food in every venue was very mediocre and sometimes poor which came as a surprise. Perhaps it was sourcing from South America?The included excursions were fair. The paid excursions ranged from pretty good to dreadful and poorly planned.

if I were choosing between Seabourn and Viking, I would definitely choose Seabourn. Of course we have not sailed Seabourn since before Covid and they probably have some of the same issues all lines are facing.

This was also our recent experience on our first (and last) Viking cruise over the Holidays.  This ship was nice and the crew were wonderful however the food was not. Some of the worst food we have had on any cruise.  The tours were so-so.  We are going on Seabourn this August and unless they have come way down it will be more enjoyable than Viking.

• 1 month later...

Hi.   We really enjoyed our Viking cruise from HK to Beijing several years ago.  Beautiful ships and staterooms were very nice.  I remember the bathrooms had heated floors.  Food was very good too.

Seabourn we have been on 2 times.  Seabourn is definitely at a higher level of excellence than Viking.

Beautiful yacht like ships and a higher level of personal service IMO.  Cabins are more roomy on Seabourn with a heavy, thick curtain that closes to separate the bed area with the sitting area in case one person wants to stay up late and the other wants to turn in.  

You cannot judge by price between the two because Vikings' price includes all port fees, taxes, Internet, tips, a shore excursion in every port and limited selection of alcohol during meals in their cruise price.  Seabourn includes Internet, drinks and tips but you will pay for all shore excursions, port fees and taxes. Shore excursions are expensive for sure.

Viking ships hold about 1,000 guests compared to I believe around 450 on the Seabourn Odyssey. Seabourn seems less crowded to me.

We were on the Seabourn Sojourn in Alaska in 2018 and had a wonderful time.  Excellent food & wine the entire trip. Photos attached.   Great crew and absolutely an amazing trip.  We will be back on Seabourn in June in Iceland.  

Enjoy your trip.  

32378499_1871885629523016_8138446861045334016_n.jpg

32838627_1871886956189550_196742401606287360_n.jpg

32745219_1871886809522898_6680435524252991488_n.jpg

32739768_1871886706189575_5086492449681965056_n.jpg

32806133_1871886772856235_3040330408794259456_n.jpg

32859243_1871887002856212_2259187213268942848_n.jpg

32808456_1871887156189530_6588899089591566336_n.jpg

34443344_1889679384410307_3836768695825203200_n.jpg

32729608_1871886226189623_312018825614721024_n.jpg

• Like 2

We have cruised Viking three times (once since Covid) and Seabourn twice (last being November 2022) and will be on Seabourn in June.  We have also cruised Silversea, Crystal, Regent, Windstar and Paul Gauguin.

We love Viking but would choose Seabourn over it 100% of the time.

1 hour ago, imcpa said:

We have cruised Viking three times (once since Covid) and Seabourn twice (last being November 2022) and will be on Seabourn in June.  We have also cruised Silversea, Crystal, Regent, Windstar and Paul Gauguin.

We love Viking but would choose Seabourn over it 100% of the time.

And how would you rank these:  Silversea, Crystal, Regent, Windstar and Paul Gauguin.

2 minutes ago, caviargal said:

And how would you rank these:  Silversea, Crystal, Regent, Windstar and Paul Gauguin.

Favorite to less favorite based on our cruises (keeping in mind we love them all and will hopefully cruise them all, except PG, for years to come) ...

old Crystal

Seabourn

Silversea

Regent

Viking

Windstar

Paul Gauguin

• Like 1

Seabourn definitely breaks out the port fees separately from the base cruise fare. (At least for those of us in the US; it's possible other countries may work differently.) When there are discounts, they apply to the base fare, not the port fees. On the other hand, if you end up missing a port, Seabourn will refund the (small) fees for that port. 

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Seabourn definitely breaks out the port fees separately from the base cruise fare. (At least for those of us in the US; it's possible other countries may work differently.) When there are discounts, they apply to the base fare, not the port fees. On the other hand, if you end up missing a port, Seabourn will refund the (small) fees for that port. 

You are right. And, port fees in some parts of the world are more expensive than in other parts of the world.  

10 hours ago, purpleally said:

Seabourn.  There is absolutely no debate on this. 

Would love to know some specifics around this. I don’t doubt your observation. I would just learn from comparisons of the two that you have encountered. Thank you

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for re-posting this review. I found it very interesting and informative. Having sailed several Viking cruises for a number of years, I would agree with some of what you report. Some of your encounters do not reflect the experiences have we had, although I am not questioning what happened with your journey. That said, our most recent sailing was shortly before Covid.I think that you fairly reported both the positive and the negative of both your sailings. 
We are looking forward to our first Seabourn cruise. I am feeling a bit easier about choosing the Quest as reviews improve. They have been less than stellar for quite a long while now. We have wanted to try Seabourn for a time,  and much of what you describe as ‘better than’ is truly exciting to look forward to. Itinerary is at the top of the cut along with service, food, and wine. Sounds like Seabourn is just that. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve never sailed with Viking, but enjoy Seabourn very much. Having said that, the following recent survey in the UK ranked Viking higher than Seabourn. Guess it depends on personal expectations and experiences.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-11803515/The-best-worst-cruise-lines-2023-revealed-Noble-Caledonia-number-one.html

2 hours ago, commodoredave said:

I’ve never sailed with Viking, but enjoy Seabourn very much. Having said that, the following recent survey in the UK ranked Viking higher than Seabourn. Guess it depends on personal expectations and experiences.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-11803515/The-best-worst-cruise-lines-2023-revealed-Noble-Caledonia-number-one.html

And it is very likely that many who have sailed on Viking have not sailed on Seabourn--and thus, cannot compare.  I can see Viking appealing more to a certain sort of person.  I could be totally out in left field, but I see Viking as the perfect line for an engineer who doesn't drink alcohol and is most interested in the destinations and the educational aspect of the cruise.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

Have been on Old Crystal  $$

Regent $$$

Silverseas $$$

Seabourn $$

Viking $

One gets what they paid for. Have enjoyed them all.

Agreed!

...although admittedly I've only sailed Seabourn and Regent from your list, both of which I loved,

but am looking forward to my first Viking Ocean cruise in June, and hopefully Silversea in November.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SLSD said:

And it is very likely that many who have sailed on Viking have not sailed on Seabourn--and thus, cannot compare.  I can see Viking appealing more to a certain sort of person.  I could be totally out in left field, but I see Viking as the perfect line for an engineer who doesn't drink alcohol and is most interested in the destinations and the educational aspect of the cruise.  

Not sure you are spot on with this analogy. I am no engineer, and I regularly enjoy fine wines and good whiskey! That said, I am looking forward to experiencing the differences. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Not sure you are spot on with this analogy. I am no engineer, and I regularly enjoy fine wines and good whiskey! That said, I am looking forward to experiencing the differences. 

Part of my comment was tongue in cheek--just a bit of it.  I just happen to know an engineer who loves Viking and fits my description.  He would not like Seabourn.  After you have sailed on both, I would like to hear your comparison.  

• Like 1