Considering P&O

Belle Belle

My husband and I are frequent cruisers but have never cruised P&O. We are considering a December 2024 cruise to Norway with hopes of seeing the Northern Lights. What are the key differences between P&O and Royal Caribbean which we have cruised the most on? Thanks for any help.

Price mainly. P&O have some lovely new ships but for me the quality of service and food is now sadly lacking from the halcyon days. Tipping is another big difference as on P&O it’s included. 
Being a US citizen I reckon you should stick with RCI but hey what do I know. 
I’ve traveled regularly with RCI and Celebrity and the quality is more obvious now than it once was in my opinion. If British cultural displays such as the early morning sun bed wars appeals to you then give it a try 😉

I’m actually doing a northern lights cruise on the Arcadia in November and for me this smaller older ship appeals but it’s definitely a no frills ship compared to RCI but what it does bring is the ability to be able to enter some of the ‘smaller’ harbours. If I had to suggest a British style cruise line to you I’d go for Cunard. 

Edited by devonuk
Error
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, devonuk said:

Thank you for your help. I'm mainly looking at the cruise because it goes to these ports during times when I might see the Northern Lights. There are overnights in a couple ports which would increase the likelihood, I believe. From what I've read, P&O may be a little more formal than what I have experienced on other cruise lines, including Princess. I know that Alaskan cruises tend to more casual. I wonder if this itinerary is similar?

31 minutes ago, devonuk said:

For me Princess is more formal than P&O but I guess a lot of it is down to individual maitre d’s 🤔

Actually, I would say totally the opposite. Far more people dress up on P&O than on Princess. 

Us Brits like a bit of bling !

• Like 4

Perhaps I should have stated ex UK Princess cruises 🤔 My recent Sky Princess cruises were definitely blingy 😃 However, both were very much an ‘older set’ whether this makes a difference or not?

I’d still recommend Cunard if they cover the desired itinerary 👌

I think it depends on the cruise.

Princess cruises ex Southampton will have a lot of Brits aboard, and consequently more people dress up. 

Out of Barcelona or Rome  etc, more Americans aboard,  so less formal.

Just my personal observations.

• Like 2

Following - same situation as @Belle Belle and are considering the Norway itinerary for March, 2024.

Is it correct that one needs to call P&O to book?  Are there other options to hopefully receive better pricing and/or perks than book direct?

Will also follow the insurance thread.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, shuyak said:

Following - same situation as @Belle Belle and are considering the Norway itinerary for March, 2024.

Is it correct that one needs to call P&O to book?  Are there other options to hopefully receive better pricing and/or perks than book direct?

Thanks.

It’s a question of personal choice I guess. I normally booked about 50/50 direct but during the pandemic I had no issues with direct bookings and plenty of issues with some TA’s, which I’d never return to. 
My Blue Light Card requires me to book direct with P&O to get extra OBC so that’s another reason why I stay loyal to the direct route. 
That said it’s not lost on me that the direct route is not always the best, if for instance a particular TA that I’ve not had issues with in the past has booked a lot of cabins and is offering a package deal 👍

Good luck 🤞 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, devonuk said:

It’s a question of personal choice I guess. I normally booked about 50/50 direct but during the pandemic I had no issues with direct bookings and plenty of issues with some TA’s, which I’d never return to. 
My Blue Light Card requires me to book direct with P&O to get extra OBC so that’s another reason why I stay loyal to the direct route. 
That said it’s not lost on me that the direct route is not always the best, if for instance a particular TA that I’ve not had issues with in the past has booked a lot of cabins and is offering a package deal 👍

Good luck 🤞 

But I'm guessing that shuyak is also in the USA... I don't think it is particularly straightforward for a US resident to book P&O.

• Thanks 1

Up until a week ago I would have said one big difference between Royal Caribbean & P&O is how RCI keep changing the itinerary after booking,now P&O have done the same,we have just paid the balance on a Med cruise in May & then find(without being informed as yet) that one of the stops we booked it for has been changed,annoying!

Drinks tend to be cheaper on P&O,as has been said there is no daily charge for tips,as for food our 

last cruise was out East on Quantum Of The Seas in October 2019,first night in Chops the food & service were excellent,portions,especially sides,we're a bit mean IMO,second night in the MDR both food & service were abysmal,as for portions we felt the need to head to the Windjammer Buffet after to 'top up',we stayed there for dining the rest of the cruise,we had some wonderful nights dining outside watching lightning in the distance.

Quantum was a beautiful ship &,after those first two nights,we wore shorts for the rest of the cruise,bit different on our upcoming P&O cruise where there are 4 Formal & 1 Celebration Night,seems way too many for me but we are all different & I know some people love it.

Edited by snaefell
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Thank you alI for the feedback.

I originally mixed up P&O (UK) and P&O (Australia) and posted the questions in the AU/NZ board.  Re-posting here to hopefully gathering info from seasoned P&O (UK) cruisers.  Thank you!

We came across some P&O's good Norway itineraries from UK with quite attractive pricing, compared to major cruiselines here in the USA market.

Read reviews on line, but would love to hear the opinions from fellow CC about how is P&O compared to cruiselines in UK market such as Princess, Norwegian, Holland American, Cunard, etc.?

We are budget conscious and low maintenance in terms of room/food/ entertainment but will not hesitate to take unique experiences (such as flying over Mt. Delani).

It appears that here in USA we need to call P&O to book.  Not sure what other options there might be to hopefully get some better pricing and/or perks in addition to offered by the cruiseline?

Also saw its mandatory insurance coverage for " all UK guests".  Kind of strange - assume because it is UK based cruise?  We always purchase insurance anyway, just are not familiar the products offered by P&O's partner.

Appreciate any thoughts you can share!

Yes, P&O are very UK-centrist (approx 95% uk cruisers aboard) and all travel companies here make Travel Insurance compulsory.

It is probably quite difficult in some ways for people to make post-Covid comparisons as many cruise lines are taking the opportunity of tweaking their product with a view to cost-cutting.

Additionally, P&O are at a stage of significant change after the recent introduction of two new, much larger ships. The fleet now variously carries from under 2000 passengers to over 5000.

As you have stated that you are "low maintenance" on food and entertainment, then you may well enjoy the P&O experience.

10 hours ago, Britboys said:

Yes, P&O are very UK-centrist (approx 95% uk cruisers aboard) and all travel companies here make Travel Insurance compulsory.

It is probably quite difficult in some ways for people to make post-Covid comparisons as many cruise lines are taking the opportunity of tweaking their product with a view to cost-cutting.

Additionally, P&O are at a stage of significant change after the recent introduction of two new, much larger ships. The fleet now variously carries from under 2000 passengers to over 5000.

As you have stated that you are "low maintenance" on food and entertainment, then you may well enjoy the P&O experience.

@Britboys, thank you for thefeedback! 

You are right about the difficulty to make post-covid comparison due to cruiseline's on going cost saving measures.

Since we are looking at older/smaller ship, P&O appears a good match for our purpose.

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 2:34 AM, shuyak said:

Thanks.

Posted some info on your other post in Uk Cruisers

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 10:58 PM, wowzz said:

Actually, I would say totally the opposite. Far more people dress up on P&O than on Princess. 

Us Brits like a bit of bling !

Only had one formal night on our cruise so far, but the dress code was well observed in the MDR.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 9:34 PM, shuyak said:

Thanks.

I called a number for P&O's official site for America and received a quote. A big difference is the gratuities are included in the fare. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Belle Belle said:

I called a number for P&O's official site for America and received a quote. A big difference is the gratuities are included in the fare. 

One of the advantages of booking in the UK, is that the fare you see, is the fare you pay. No taxes or port charges are added. 

• Like 1

It is my understanding that P&O have recently made it easier for US guests to book, which is good. The current exchange rate will go in your favour and you will find the drinks cheap onboard, plus no extra tips on top as it’s all included. Leaving from Southampton it will be largely Brits onboard. Not sure about the older ships, but generally it will be slightly better dressed in the main dining room in the evening than our most recent (pre pandemic) Royal cruise, where anything went. It won’t have ice skating rinks or rock climbing walls and in December getting up early for sun beds won’t be an issue. 

I follow Emma Cruises on YouTube and she talked about starting to book US guests on P&O trips recently so might be worth contacting her to ask. There will be no price change if it drops after booking so make sure you are happy with the deal when you book.