Which of these Norwegian ports can we/should we do on our own and which require an excursion/guide?

SLSD

On 2/18/2023 at 3:54 PM, galeforce9 said:

That’s right - gorgeous white wooden houses, cobbled streets and flowers right up from where the ship usually docks.  There’s also a canning museum which is meant to be better than it sounds but haven’t been in around 5 visits!   There are also boats that you can

DIY to  Pulpit Rock  but I think the best views are a long land trip/hiking rather than sailing and seeing it from the base and there generally isn’t sufficient time to guarantee being back.  

We’ve been to these places summer and winter, so any questions please ask. 

There’s a gorgeous sail in to Olden (Loen) so be up early. 

it’s a pity you don’t get to geiranger. Flam and eidfjord but perhaps there might be trips to these fjord locations. We’ve done rail trips, kayaked in the fjords and hiked from these.   

There is an excursion offered to Geiranger in one port--but the excursion is quite lengthy in hours.  I don't think we are up for that.  We are counting on seeing beautiful scenery without it.  

On 2/18/2023 at 4:48 PM, nancygp said:

I suggest, in Honningsvag,  taking the the excursion to the north cape.

Nancy

We've signed up for it as well as a few other excursions here and there.  I might cancel later.  I see them as place markers.  We will be doing several ports on our own.  

• Like 1

I'll just echo @Fletcher regarding the Lofoten islands. We did the same thing, renting a car and driving down the archipelago. I didn't know how our timing would play out, so I wasn't sure how far we'd go before turning back to return to the ship on time. We stoped at the Viking museum in Bøstad, and poked down to the coast at Unstad, and made it to Reine as our turn-around point. (I was tempted to drive further south, but decided not to cut it too close returning the car and getting back onboard!) We also were blessed with excellent weather, and it made for a great day. (Of course, the weather is always unknown, and I don't know if we would have loved it as much had it been cloudy or rainy.) Like @Fletcher, we look back on this fondly as one of our best shore excursions ever.

On 2/19/2023 at 8:31 AM, SLSD said:

Did you reserve your car ahead of time?

I did. Svolvaer is a small town (population under 5,000, I think), so there's no large rental car operation with dozens of cars waiting. I rented from Hertz, and the location listed was adjacent to the dock, but it took a little prowling around to figure out which building to go into to pick up our car. You might be able to do it on the spot, but if you want to be assured of having a car available, I'd recommend booking in advance. 

6 hours ago, maryogreen said:

The only place that has me stumped is Storstappen Island. Has anyone done the zodiac excursion around the island, followed by the drive to the North Cape?

I think this is what we did, but I didn't see the tour description on the Seabourn website. Is this on the day listed for Honningsvåg? Seabourn was pioneering the Ventures concept on our cruise back in 2015, and they offered a zodiac departure from the ship to see an island with a huge bird colony — I think this was Storstappen, but it may have been another island, and I'm not at home to check our notes — ending on the shore near the base of Nordkapp. After we left the ship on our zodiacs, the ship left us (!!) to sail around the point to dock in Honningsvåg. We then did a somewhat strenuous, but not technically challenging, hike to the top (e.g. we didn't climb the face of Nordkapp!). It was scenic and enjoyable. At the visitor center at the top, we met others from our ship who came up by bus; everyone took a bus back down to the ship. If they offer this excursion, and if you're up for a hike with a 1,000 foot elevation gain, I'd recommend it. 

56 minutes ago, SLSD said:

There is an excursion offered to Geiranger in one port--but the excursion is quite lengthy in hours.  I don't think we are up for that.  We are counting on seeing beautiful scenery without it.  

Agreed, I wouldn’t spend hours on

a bus to get there.  We sailed right to the village. 

On 2/18/2023 at 2:06 PM, SLSD said:

I'm looking to you experienced Seabourners to guide me as I begin looking at ports on our upcoming Seabourn  (June 11- June 25) Copenhagen to Copenhagen cruise up the Norwegian coast.  Specifically, I would like to know your opinion (from  your personal experience) as to which of the following ports can be easily enjoyed on our own and which lend themselves to taking an excursion or hiring a guide.  Any details you can offer are very much appreciated.  

Alesund, Norway

Svolvaer (Lofoten)

Tromso

Storstappen Island

Honningsvag

Loen (Olden)

Skjolden

Stavanger

Farsund

Skagen, Denmark

We did a very similar cruise on another cruise line and did one  ship tour on the railroad in Tromso and a couple of others where private guides were unavailable. We did figure out a couple of ports including Hinnigsvaag whee we rented carss and found another couple to share,  Honnigsvaag was great as we were able to do in one day what would have been 3 diffeerent ships tours that would have been impossible without doing ourselvs.  We did the bird cruise, North Cape and had dinner at a Crab restaurant walking distance from the ship.  Probabbly saved over $1000 per couple and did more than anyone else.  Even saw Reindeer along the road and on the road being able to stop the car and gt great pics.  Everything in Norway is extremely expensive and was unable to find any local guides   Took a bit of work but, worked out spectacularly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I think this is what we did, but I didn't see the tour description on the Seabourn website. Is this on the day listed for Honningsvåg? Seabourn was pioneering the Ventures concept on our cruise back in 2015, and they offered a zodiac departure from the ship to see an island with a huge bird colony — I think this was Storstappen, but it may have been another island, and I'm not at home to check our notes — ending on the shore near the base of Nordkapp. After we left the ship on our zodiacs, the ship left us (!!) to sail around the point to dock in Honningsvåg. We then did a somewhat strenuous, but not technically challenging, hike to the top (e.g. we didn't climb the face of Nordkapp!). It was scenic and enjoyable. At the visitor center at the top, we met others from our ship who came up by bus; everyone took a bus back down to the ship. If they offer this excursion, and if you're up for a hike with a 1,000 foot elevation gain, I'd recommend it. 

@cruiseej Thanks so much for the information on your excursion. It sounds similar to the one being offered on this cruise, but there is no hiking involved. After the zodiac tour, a bus transports passengers to Nordkapp. I'm impressed that you climbed to the top!

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

From what I read on the SB website, only those who sign up for Ventures excursions (and I think there are two of them)  will be able to leave the ship at this port.  If I am not mistaken, these tours require suiting up in a full survival floatation suit.  We saw these demonstrated in Alaska at Kodiak.  While we are agile and have no health issues, we don't think we want to suit up this way, but understand it is a safety issue and required--so we will be staying on the ship and enjoying the scenery and the ship.  

Are you on the June 11th-June 25th cruise?  Or, a later iteration of this itinerary?

Thanks @SLSD for your thoughts on this. I had to laugh when you mentioned the survival floatation suits! I'm not sure we're up for that, either. I was planning on wearing our Seabourn Antarctica parkas and waterproof pants for this excursion before I heard about the floatation suits. I spoke with someone at Seabourn Excursions who recommended double-booking this and a Nordkapp tour from Honningsvåg – which is our main priority – and cancelling one of them once on board when we've had a chance to speak with an expedition member about Storstappen.

We are on the June 11-25 cruise. Hope you meet you on board!
Mary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryogreen said:

Thanks @SLSD for your thoughts on this. I had to laugh when you mentioned the survival floatation suits! I'm not sure we're up for that, either. I was planning on wearing our Seabourn Antarctica parkas and waterproof pants for this excursion before I heard about the floatation suits. I spoke with someone at Seabourn Excursions who recommended double-booking this and a Nordkapp tour from Honningsvåg – which is our main priority – and cancelling one of them once on board when we've had a chance to speak with an expedition member about Storstappen.

We are on the June 11-25 cruise. Hope you meet you on board!
Mary

We will look for you.  Perhaps I'll recognize you from your photo posted here.  I don't post my full name here, but we are from Dallas.  

Seriously, the survival suits are serious pieces of clothing.  

Susan aka SLSD

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

Susan, Mary.  I’m Jon we will be onboard as well, hope to meet you there.  As to these very adventurous tours, really not for us, still I appreciate watching you work out your plans.  DW was crushed when the stop for Flan railway was cancelled, something she really looked forward to.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Susan, Mary.  I’m Jon we will be onboard as well, hope to meet you there.  As to these very adventurous tours, really not for us, still I appreciate watching you work out your plans.  DW was crushed when the stop for Flan railway was cancelled, something she really looked forward to.

Jon, Mr. SLSD and I are not the most adventurous when it comes to doing tours on our own.  We are happy to walk around an interesting port, but not up for renting a car and driving as far as 140 miles and back---even though we really like to read about Fletcher's experiences.  We go on cruises to relax and let others do the driving and the work.  I AM studying each port and taking in what others have experienced.  

As soon as I read about the survival floatation suits, I knew those particular excursions were not going to be taken by us.  

It is a disappointment not to be doing the Flam railroad, but I am sure there will be beautiful sights to be seen.  

We look forward to meeting you and your wife onboard.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

I am so enjoying reading this thread and getting lots of ideas for things to do 😁 Our cruise is in July and I can't find a roll call either for the 14 night or the 21 night which 'pops' over to Iceland - has anyone seen one?

we have booked the Ventures Kayak tour in Svolvaer and biking in Skagen so far but we are planning to do the hikes on our own so if anyone has any comments on the following 3 - much appreciated.

Alesund - local bus to hike Sugarlump mountain

Loen - hike to glacier (there is a bus that stops at the port gates and takes you to car park or a local bus but can't find the 2023 timetable)

Stavanger - hike Pulpit rock - again there is a bus that takes you to the base and returns you 5 hours later

We love cycling and would like to rent bikes possibly in Farsund so again if anyone has done this (or for any of the other stops). Many thanks and keep the ideas coming 😁

On 2/23/2023 at 2:27 PM, #1cruisecoach said:

Yes, Jon, I too was disappointed they cancelled the Flam portion

Did they give a reason for canceling Flam?  Curious because I'm looking at a Fjord cruise in 2024 and Flam is one port I really want to include.

14 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Did they give a reason for canceling Flam?  Curious because I'm looking at a Fjord cruise in 2024 and Flam is one port I really want to include.

Not specifically.  I think it was "operational reasons" which could be most anything.  This far out, it could be that the port would not let them dock.  I am not certain if ship size had something to do with it.  Others might know.  

40 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Not specifically.  I think it was "operational reasons" which could be most anything.  This far out, it could be that the port would not let them dock.  I am not certain if ship size had something to do with it.  Others might know.  

We’ve docked in flam on a c75,000 gross tonnage ship so not that. 

29 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

We’ve docked in flam on a c75,000 gross tonnage ship so not that. 

What do you think it is--this far out?  Perhaps the port overbooked?  Perhaps SB won't be able to pay ahead of time?  Etc. etc.  Who knows.  

It is curious.  I found this schedule of cruise ship arrivals and departures for 2023

https://cruisedig.com/ports/flam-norway/arrivals

Some of these ships have a LOT of passengers---way more than Ovation.  AND I don't see a SB ship on the 2024 schedule either.  It may be a money issue.  The port is probably charging a lot--and SB won't pay it.  Just a guess.  What else could it be? 

Edited by SLSD

Seems like”operational reasons” is the catch phrase many cruise lines use. Believe it is used when they don’t want to tell the actual reason so nobody will know outside the cruise line itself. 

So you can create any reason and it may or may not be the reason. Believe all Ts & Cs allow changes for any reason without any reason. 

so speculate to your hearts content and you mail mail the reason but will never know for sure. 

I think it may be because they limit the number of ships to be there in one day - it is a very small port, with not a lot of space in the fjord.  If so, maybe the earliest bookers will get in.  I have heard this elsewhere, and it makes sense.  It is well worth visiting if you can get there, especially the railway trip.  

• Like 1

We were disappointed to get this cancellation especially as just two days before I had booked the SB Flam railway excursion, typical! 

The alternatve port is Skjolden, no excursions available yet, having researched it looks to be beautiul and SB have been there before as I saw a Quest passenger review on TA.  I think we will be doing our own thing there.  

On 2/26/2023 at 1:35 AM, Mauzac said:

We were disappointed to get this cancellation especially as just two days before I had booked the SB Flam railway excursion, typical! 

The alternatve port is Skjolden, no excursions available yet, having researched it looks to be beautiul and SB have been there before as I saw a Quest passenger review on TA.  I think we will be doing our own thing there.  

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but my impression is that the big attraction to the deep fjord ports is more the scenic sail in rather than the port itself. If so, Skjolden would seem to be a good alternative to Flam.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but my impression is that the big attraction to the deep fjord ports is more the scenic sail in rather than the port itself. If so, Skjolden would seem to be a good alternative to Flam.

While your thoughts are mostly correct Flam is a bit different as it is the port where you board the Flam Railway which is the twisties railroad in the world.  Thus missing this port eliminates the railroad which is part of all shore excursions as the port is extremely small with only a few tourist stores and the railroad.

On 2/22/2023 at 2:52 AM, jondfk said:

DW was crushed when the stop for Flan railway was cancelled, something she really looked forward to.

I may be an outlier here, but the Flam railroad wasn't a great experience for us.  Visibility was limited as it often is in Norway. Lots of crowding and jockeying for seats along with wait time in the rain when we switched trains.  Lunch was meh. Perhaps that helps soften the blow for DW. Maybe others had a better experience. 

We did meet some folks who did the Flam train on their own. Booked tickets in advance which beat the crowd and felt it was a better experience, but still didn't see much due to visibility.

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Like 2