Do you really need to get a balcony on an Alaskan cruise?

leahthecaterer

We have been to Alaska in an inside cabin twice - yes a balcony would be fabulous but I'd rather be in an inside cabin than not cruising at all due to cost. Mind you, I pick the location of the cabin carefully so I can easily get to a public outdoor space - one of my Alaskan cruises was on the wonderful Coral in 2019, so we had a cabin near the front of the ship so I could get out the front in just a minute or two any time I like (and I did, a lot!). So if the ship has decent outside decks, like a wrap around promenade for example, or multiple viewing decks aft or forward, inside is just fine.

Hope that helps

Lou

• Like 4

YES. Get the balcony.  Having an area to view in Glacier Park without lots of folks fighting for a piece of the rail on a deck is worth it.  I went to the deck just to take some pictures from a different vantage point when we were cruising in Alaska and it was a madhouse just to get close up pictures from the rails. My vote is definitely for the balcony.  Worth it.  

On 3/10/2023 at 10:39 AM, zogrand said:

Yes!  I think this picture says it all.  We had a big balcony because there was a big family group together.  But here is our family on our balcony.image.thumb.jpeg.22d5f7ba49ec37e3ac4dcbc5695933ce.jpeg

@zogrand, that looks like a suite balcony, no?  I'm curious.  Did everyone have their own balcony cabin?  Or, since you were with a large group, did one of you get a balcony suite and the others get a cheaper inside room knowing they'd have access to your balcony?  We are thinking about taking a family cruise and debating whether to splurge on one room and do interior rooms for the others or get regular balconies.  

• Like 1

@TN-Mountains, We were celebrating our 50th Anniversary so we opted for a suite - you're right.  We had one grandchild with us and the other 2 families had balcony cabins with 4 in each cabin.  That way, when the kids were in bed, the adults could still have the balcony.  We wanted this to be memorable for all.  I'm not a lover of inside cabins so didn't want to put the family in them.  There is one downside to the suite.  It comes with perks that can't be shared with everyone.  We never want to the breakfast at Sabatini's or took advantage of any other perks of suite living.  Small price to pay for the extra cabin space and wonderful balcony.  Be sure to bring your own binoculars - they aren't supplied!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

NEED????  No.

Worth it $$ wise??  It depends.  On Celebrity Summit (BC- Seward) there was OVER $1000.00 difference in price per/person compared to an inside cabin. ($682-$1777)  I can find much better ways to spend $1000 on my cruise that will more than make up for the balcony "view"  I highly recommend the Helicopter Tour with a two hour  Glacier Trek (4 hours total) offered by Northstar Trekking. it's around $500.   But then again you just saved $1000 because you went without a balcony.

Worth it for personal reasons. i.e Dislike crowds, can't see over people, you're old(er) etc etc  

That's completely up to you. 

For people saying "we like the scenery".  It's cool at first but gets pretty repetitive for most of your trip until you get to the glaciers.  Then it's awe inspiring for the first 20 minutes and meh after that. Go ahead and pooh-pooh me..it's the truth. 

If you want to experience Alaska up close try the Glacier Bay National Park Cruises out of Juneau.  7 nights on a 38 cabin ship.  Kayaking, hiking or just relaxing. Ship relocates every night while you're sleeping.  Naturalist on board giving daily lectures/commentary.  It's your best way to "explore" the beauty of Alaska from the water.  You haven't seen Alaska up close until you've seen two humpback whales coming across the surface towards  the side of your 175' long boat, going under it  at the very last second to the point you can still see them in the crystal clear water going under the ship and then run to the other side and see them reappear. Or seen a 300ft tall chunk of ice calf off a glacier and send a 15' wall of water towards you. I've got videos of both plus a whole lot more.  And no the ship doesn't have balconies...lol 

• Like 2

I wouldn't go if an inside was my only choice.

I've been on two short cruises (Cuba) when ocean view cabins were the best available, but we prefer balconies or mini suites. Just returned from an Alaska cruise on the Majestic, Six of us in 3 mini suites. We enjoy happy hour on our balconies, and have our steward open the divider between balconies. 

I hate being packed into viewing areas when I can be on my own balcony without the congestion.

YES!!  I cruised to Alaska on Celebrity back in May.  I booked a solo balcony cabin and it was the BEST thing ever.  In one port the humpback whales were off the port side where my balcony was and I could sit on it and enjoy the morning and listen to and watch them playing and feeding.  I wouldn't trade the ability to enjoy the gorgeous views from a balcony for a cheaper room.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

In one port the humpback whales were off the port side where my balcony was and I could sit on it and enjoy the morning and listen to and watch them playing and feeding.  

I bet this was at Icy Strait Point. 😎

• Like 2

It depends on the ship but with the more modern ships I place increasing value on balcony rooms.

Our first cruise was an Alaska cruise on Coral Princess.  We had a balcony but spent most of the time on the lesser-known front viewing areas of the ship (deck 10/11 I think) and the aft areas too.  That ship had loads of areas to view from it really was the ideal Alaska ship (to think we really didn't want to sail on her at first as she was older - we soon learned!!)

On the early Royal class ships the public viewing areas are not so great (but better than those on the Sky Princess onwards which did away with even more public spaces).  You can still enjoy the cruise and see some great scenery but it takes more effort to find a good spot and chances are if there is something spectacular to see, you'll have crowds to contend with.  Having your own private space is handy.  Especially when you have just woken up and want to take in the view before getting dressed.  Or for catching the unexpected.

But I always say, any cruise and any cabin is better than no cruise. I'd take an inside room to Alaska or anywhere if the alternative was I didn't go at all.

If Alaska is a one and done, I would always highly recommend a balcony.  I feel that Alaska is the one itinerary in which a balcony is so very valuable.  However, balcony cabins are pricey in Alaska so, we save some $$ and usually stay in an obstructed OV cabin midship.  I am perfectly happy in an inside cabin, just to be on a cruise, but my DH says he needs some natural light so those (un)obstructed OV cabins are a good compromise for us when on a Grand class ship.  Of course, the obstructed balconies on the Royal class are better than obstructed OV, though!  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 2

I don't know that I could go back to no balcony on any cruise. Our first few cruises, there either were very few balconies or they were hugely expensive for us. But ever since that first balcony it's kind of spoiling. Plus it's also an insurance policy against those very rare instances where something drastic happens on the ship. Think of those times when you hear of a ship losing power and drifting for days while they get a tow into port. Or more recently a health pandemic and you are quarantined. At least you have some outdoor space. My son was quarantined to our cabin for 48 hours one time because he vomited and a crew member saw it. One of us stayed there with him but it was good to have the balcony to sit out on. Those are extreme examples, but I use them as "you never know what can happen" reasons to justify to myself the extra expense lol

• Like 3

Need is a strong word. Do you need one? no.. are they recommended, yes. However many like being outside and choose not to get one and use the extra money on excursions. Also, on the Coral there is a great Ocean view in the aft, views to the aft wake , and step right outside to a wonderful aft deck that is almost private.

It really is all about you, what you like , how you like to do things and what is important to you. 

• Like 2

We chose a balcony for last year’s Alaska cruise.  There is nothing like standing just outside the cabin sliding door wearing that thick terry robe and sipping on a glass of wine while viewing the majesty of our 49th state.  We value comfort and privacy.  Your values may differ.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1

Need? Nope!

I did Alaska 3 times way back when on the old Sun Princess and the Dawn. Plus HAL's Amsterdam. Had an OV window twice and once an inside. I had a good time moving around the decks (especially at Glacier Bay) and using my shoulder camcorder. Have no desire to go back though.

We're definitely in must-have-balcony column but...

...on our June 2023 cruise on Discovery Princess, we started going up the Endicott Arm to get a look at the Dawes Glacier. Started. Apparently there were too many little ice bergs that day. Captain John Smith, unlike his namesake, decided that "full speed ahead" wasn't such a good idea and stopped well short of the Glacier. (No problem for the people who booked the excursion to the face in the small boat, right? Wrong. Boaty McBoatface got about half a mile from the ship and turned around.)

The moral of the story: "scenic cruising" ain't what it used to be.

But we'll still take a balcony.

And I guess John Smith isn't the worst name you could give your aspiring-to-be-a-captain son. That would be Francesco Schettino.

To Alaska??    Absolutely need a cabin,   Otherwise you will be 4 or 5 deep on a deck trying to see something,   Also with a cabin, you can  pop  back in to your  cabin to avoid  the  cold.

Nope!
i suggest a cabin near the Aft though. My family hung out around the Aft seating area/bar area right outside the buffet on the Royal.  We saw so much! 
You can easily watch from both sides of the ship. Highly recommend.