Internet on Alaska cruise

Gillian123

9 minutes ago, Gillian123 said:

I’ve read a lot about poor to little signal on trips to Alaska. We are sailing on Quantum from Seattle in the summer. Is it worth taking the zoom package? Will we have internet

thanks

We were on Quantum in Alaska last May and the signal was really poor, with at least one day basically non existent.  That was pre Starlink though, so I would hope that it was much improved with Starlink.  

• Like 2

I was on Ovation in August and it was hit and miss.  I had times it worked fine and I was able to facetime, watch youtube upload pictures and videos and all normal web stuff.  Other times it was non-existent.  I'd say it worked more than it didn't.  

3 hours ago, Gillian123 said:

I’ve read a lot about poor to little signal on trips to Alaska. We are sailing on Quantum from Seattle in the summer. Is it worth taking the zoom package? Will we have internet

thanks

We were on the Quantum last year and had good service with Voom.  Yup, there will be a couple of places like going up the fjord to Dawes Glacier where the canyon walls will block your view of the satellite, but other than that, we had o.k. reception throughout the trip. If the ship has switched over to Skylink, who knows how the reception will be. Probably better than Voom. 

13 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

We did Quantum in August. It was fairly solid most of the trip IF you get the higher package and you don’t plan on actually using it to stream. Did just fine for social media, email, FaceTime, posting here, etc. 

only see one package offered for our trip..Is it called something different

We were on Ovation to Alaska last July and the wifi worked just fine for us. In fact, our cell service did not connect at all the day we were in Skagway, but once we got back on the ship's wifi we had service again.

I will say, we were just using it for texting/email/basic internet usage. Not streaming or trying to work on a laptop, etc.