How high is too high for a balcony on an Alaskan cruise?

leahthecaterer

Personally, I do not think it matters much. However, if you want the Riviera deck, just be aware that all of the balconies are quite small except those that are aft and a few angled balconies in the middle of the ship.

• Like 2

If you want to sightsee in Alaska, then the Sapphire is the best choice IMHO. I think the Coral will be in Alaska this year, maybe not. The Grand would be OK too, but the Royal is so big it takes a different route. 

So you must have a reason for wanting to be high up and choosing the Royal, which isn't clear why. A cabin up a deck to Lido, then aft is the Horizon buffet and aft Terrace. Some sightseeing there with easy access to snacks and hot drinks. You ask for thoughts and that's what I'd do.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

I would go for the higher balcony!

While a bit further from the water, your viewpoint will be much better!

Both over the water and across the glaciers and mountains.

I do not like high balconies and the extra motion.

But, in Alaska, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Most of Alaska and the glaciers s in somewhat protected waters.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, leahthecaterer said:

We were told there are balconies available on Deck 15 of the Royal Princess but I wondered if that is too high to see the animals, nature, etc. well.  We'll have binoculars, of course.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

I've not been to Alaska on Royal Princess, but I do like Deck 15 Marina. The sweet spot for me is a stateroom in the range of the M500's through the M600's. If you book one of these, you will have the overhang above your balcony to protect from weather. Horizon Buffet is one deck up. Two decks up you have open deck for sightseeing. (If at all possible, you'll want to get out and about on the ship to see the gorgeous scenery that is all around you, not stay on your balcony.) And you're close to the laundry, if you need it. Only downside for me is lack of a good wrap-around Promenade deck on Royal. As I say, you'll want to move about the ship. Our first trip to Alaska, we saw a whale breach the first night on board while standing on the Promenade. Of course, I did not have my camera ready, but it was magical! You're sure to enjoy Alaska!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, portiemom said:

I've not been to Alaska on Royal Princess, but I do like Deck 15 Marina. The sweet spot for me is a stateroom in the range of the M500's through the M600's. If you book one of these, you will have the overhang above your balcony to protect from weather. Horizon Buffet is one deck up. Two decks up you have open deck for sightseeing. (If at all possible, you'll want to get out and about on the ship to see the gorgeous scenery that is all around you, not stay on your balcony.) And you're close to the laundry, if you need it. Only downside for me is lack of a good wrap-around Promenade deck on Royal. As I say, you'll want to move about the ship. Our first trip to Alaska, we saw a whale breach the first night on board while standing on the Promenade. Of course, I did not have my camera ready, but it was magical! You're sure to enjoy Alaska!

Thanks so much.  The rooms were actually 528 and 530 so that sounds perfect.

3 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

If you want to sightsee in Alaska, then the Sapphire is the best choice IMHO. I think the Coral will be in Alaska this year, maybe not. The Grand would be OK too, but the Royal is so big it takes a different route. 

So you must have a reason for wanting to be high up and choosing the Royal, which isn't clear why. A cabin up a deck to Lido, then aft is the Horizon buffet and aft Terrace. Some sightseeing there with easy access to snacks and hot drinks. You ask for thoughts and that's what I'd do.

Yeah, the reason is it fits our schedules.  We've never done Princess or Alaska.  Thanks!

28 minutes ago, leahthecaterer said:

Thanks so much.  The rooms were actually 528 and 530 so that sounds perfect.

A small balcony; not much room to share and hang out. R414 or R432 wold be very mid ship and a much larger balcony.

Edited by nini
additional words
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, nini said:

A small balcony; not much room to share and hang out. R414 or R432 wold be very mid ship and a much larger balcony.

Riviera is deck 14. Marina is deck 15. I agree, the balcony is small. The trade-off for me is not having the skywalk on deck 16 directly over my balcony, but I haven't booked one of those to know for sure. I just know standing on the skywalk, I can look straight through the floor onto those balconies. We were in M501 once for 28 days and loved it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nini said:

Personally, I do not think it matters much. However, if you want the Riviera deck, just be aware that all of the balconies are quite small except those that are aft and a few angled balconies in the middle of the ship.

I don't think it matters either.  Last time in Alaska we saw nothing but land and water on the various passages between ports  It was like the wildlife was all given a memo that said, "no need to be out here anymore, go hide for the rest of the season."  Every now and then a lucky passenger would see a fin, but it was like only 2 or 3 people saw it and then the Orca or dolphin or whatever it was disappeared.

We were in the theater for the presentation by the park rangers from Glacier Bay and another passenger actually asked them where the animals were.  Like the Park Service drags out animals when people show up at the parks, and then put them away when it is closing time.

Anyway, have a great cruise, take in what the ports have to offer.  Scenic cruising is nice, but you may get more enrichment from your trip while in port.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, dave_k58 said:

We're on the Crown for the August 25 sailing to Alaska  out of Vancouver. It looks like all the Mini-suites and full suites are on the Dolphin Deck. DId I miss something?

Minis are all on Dolphin or the very aft part of Emerald on that design. Full suites are scattered throughout the decks.