Tipping for room service

skittl1321

Do you tip when room service is delivered on MSC?  (Especially something like continental breakfast when you are not paying a delivery charge or a food charge?)

I have seen in multiple places here, as well as on the MSC website, that MSC discourages individual tips; but I just can't get it into my American head that I really shouldn't offer a tip for a service like this. 

Can someone assure me that if I don't tip for breakfast delivery they won't be spitting in my food the next day?

As a European, I can assure you that from the point of view of the shipping company (salary structures) really no additional tips are necessary.
I personally do not give additional tips for the normal, booked service. But for a service beyond the normal I like to give a tip.
(e.g. breakfast is deliciously served on the balcony table instead of just passing the tray through the door).
It is important for me to give the additional tip after the service to honor this. Others give additional tip in advance to buy a better treatment. I do not like that at all.

Edited by LiquidWu
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, skittl1321 said:

.....Can someone assure me that if I don't tip for breakfast delivery they won't be spitting in my food the next day?

Be assured!! 🙄

We have breakfast delivered to cabin only when we have a morning tour booked. As well as food, it acts as an alarm call. We routinely give a $10/10euro tip for such service.

When we cruised on NCL we often ordered a small "pre-breakfast" and then we normally tipped a few dollar but not every time, maybe 10 dollar for two deliveries.

MSC starts their roomservice breakfast later in the morning so now we don't do that anymore but if we did, we should tip a few dollar.

I find the idea to tip for this very strange, would never have this idea. You are tipping the person who brings the breakfast and not the person who prepared it for you, how unfair 😄 

And you either pay for it anyway (Bella) or you paid for it by booking Fantastica/Aurea. No matter what answers are given here, I am pretty sure 99.9 percent don´t tip for this. But if you want nobody will stop you and nobody will see it as it happens in your cabin.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

....But for 99% of europeans we dont tip willy nilly, only when service is above and beyond and deserved. 

Much as you may like that to be the case, I do not believe it to be true!

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 11:01 PM, hamrag said:

Much as you may like that to be the case, I do not believe it to be true!

in Europe people get much better wage and tipping isn’t necessary to make a good salary as it is in the US.

Therefor Europe hasn’t have a tipping culture like the US.

here in The Netherlands we don’t tip if you go to a bar and get 2 drinks and leave.

if you there the whole evening and drink multiple drinks and the bill comes then you just top the amount of (like bill is €38 then you top it off to €40).

the same goes with restaurants the bill will be topped off and that’s it.

We ofcourse always adjust our tipping when we are in the US because you adjust to the culture you’re at that moment.

Because  MSC is a European company they don’t have that tipping culture like other cruiselines do.

• Like 2