Cheap prices on Aurora!

jeanlyon

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Because it is so wide. Agree about the big screens. Hate them and they are so loud they can be heard all over the ships. 

No sunbeds on any of the decks to date we've been on have got in the way of us walking on Arvia. Loads of places to walk. Loads of space to walk in

100 per cent on Arvia you can't hear the sound from the big screen from other sunbathing areas of the boat. Even when they have the roof open.

Maybe that's en extra advantage of having a big ship. It's big enough to avoid the places you don't like

Like most on here. We don't want to spend sea days near the big screens on ships. Too overpowering.

On Arvia the spaces they've designed at the front and rear of the ship with multiple pools etc ensure you only have to be impacted by the big screens if you choose to be impacted

We pass through the area sometimes on the way to other places we want to be on the sea days. The dome is clearly very popular with young and old passengers though. It's always busy and always a big mix of agegroups there

But just not for us on seadays. On this ship it doesn't impact people who don't want to be there though. You do have to go looking for it to be impacted by it on Arvia.  I can understand why on smaller ships a big outdoor screen can spoil enjoyment for those that don't like them

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

19 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

just no reason why wireless headsets could not be used instead of everyone having to listen to it.  Nothing like that on Aurora or Arcadia.

Personally I prefer not to be around the large screens with the noise generated but I would not want to wear a headset that had been used by other people unless it was sanitised between uses.

I think that there needs to be some places where families have a number of activities to suit the mixed ages in the same area which is exactly what happens on the deck with the large screens, the pools, the Jacuzzis etc. 

Personally I don't spend any time on the upper outside decks because I don't sunbathe and I don't like swimming because I hate my face being splashed.

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

What is classed as an official promenade on a ship?

The ones I am used to are generally fairly low down on the ship (with P&O, often deck 7) and as others have said are covered, so sheltered from the elements beit sun or rain. In many cases, they often wrap around the entire deck. Historically, they were often completely inside but along the outside edge of the ship.

Iona & Arvia do have a wraparound Promenade on deck 8 but from what I have seen it is completely open to the elements and dotted with sun loungers and jacuzzis.

Sadly, Britannia (and her Royal Class cousins on Princess) do not have a Promenade at all.

On sea days, I enjoy walking a mile or two around the Promenade and also use it for sitting out and reading/watching the sea.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

just no reason why wireless headsets could not be used instead of everyone having to listen to it.  Nothing like that on Aurora or Arcadia.

Like I say on Arvia you simply avoid that area and sit or lie somewhere without the screen. Plenty of choices.  They also have decks with music and without. We prefer the ones with background music most of the time on holiday. But can enjoy decks without the music as well.

I keep thinking with Arvia that it's hard to complain about something on the ship you don't like when there's options elsewhere on the ship that offer the opposite of what you don't like. Hope that makes sense. We've all got preferences of course.

When we first started cruising we were definitely drawn to ships offering big outdoor screens  tbh. We imagined watching films on them in the evenings. They seemed an exciting option to us.

Despite then being on ships numerous times with big  outdoor screens I think weve probably watched a film at night once !

Always found something else we wanted to do more once on board!

Lol

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

The ones I am used to are generally fairly low down on the ship (with P&O, often deck 7) and as others have said are covered, so sheltered from the elements beit sun or rain. In many cases, they often wrap around the entire deck. Historically, they were often completely inside but along the outside edge of the ship.

Iona & Arvia do have a wraparound Promenade on deck 8 but from what I have seen it is completely open to the elements and dotted with sun loungers and jacuzzis.

Sadly, Britannia (and her Royal Class cousins on Princess) do not have a Promenade at all.

On sea days, I enjoy walking a mile or two around the Promenade and also use it for sitting out and reading/watching the sea.

Yes just checked out Arvia. Deck 8 is classed as a Promenade deck. It's huge and wide. But it's not covered. And you do have sunbeds and chairs and Jacuzzis at you say. There is also an outdoor bar area at one end at least that you would have to "promenade" though when open. I imagine people use that area on sea days. Didn't have  time to check both ends this morning.

At 8am ish there was nobody on the promenade other than other walkers and some people dining outside the Quays.

It's definitely wide enough to accommodate the sunbeds and chairs and the Jacuzzis though. It's approaching 8 metres wide in many places.

• Thanks 1

Higher up on Arvia are  more decks including a jogging deck. And another walking deck which are the ones we have  been using. But they  don't extend the full perimeter of the ship but still are plenty long enough for us

They aren't covered either 

And have sunbeds and Jacuzzis and chairs all around them

None of which get in the way  at all

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

There appear to be numerous prom decks on Arvia? At least we've been walking round numerous decks as though it's a prom deck. Alongside others.

Also at least one specific one where you can jog (but most still walk around the jogging one to be honest)

I assume the smaller ships have less options for this?  And so with less options can get equally busy on their prom decks and equally with people who want sun beds in the best areas etc?

I looked at Aurora (admittedly from a long distance away from above yesterday)

And it didnt appear to have made any real use of the front of the ship for nice seating areas or pools outside? I could be wrong though

Everything seemed to be at the top of the ship in terms of outdoor areas on Aurora

On Arvia there seem to be promenade options from the 8th floor upwards (at least) and literally everywhere around the ship front, sides and back outside space to enjoy?

I think in general, ship designers tend not to put too much outdoor space towards the front of the ship due to the potential for wind, especially whilst at sea. With the speed of the ship, the wind over the open decks is exaggerated of course.

Aurora actually has good outside space for the number of pax. Apart from the Promenade, Lido & Sun Decks have plenty of sunbathing space and there is extra up above Sun Deck on top of the Crows Nest and around the funnel. Also, there is space for sunbathing or sitting out on the tiered decks at the stern, which is often sheltered from the wind and has it's own pool.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

I think in general, ship designers tend not to put too much outdoor space towards the front of the ship due to the potential for wind, especially whilst at sea. With the speed of the ship, the wind over the open decks is exaggerated of course.

Aurora actually has good outside space for the number of pax. Apart from the Promenade, Lido & Sun Decks have plenty of sunbathing space and there is extra up above Sun Deck on top of the Crows Nest and around the funnel. Also, there is space for sunbathing or sitting out on the tiered decks at the stern, which is often sheltered from the wind and has it's own pool.

yes, that's a good place, on the tiered decks.  I often sit there.  As you say, out of the wind.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Yes on our first sea day someone had suggested rear of the boat was best to avoid any wind

We went there and have been there all cruise since but it was still windy particularly on the first sea day

We actually like the breeze in this heat though

The sides and the middle are the places to go to really avoid the wind I think on Arvia.

I assume there's very little wind in the dome even with the roof open

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Higher up on Arvia are  more decks including a jogging deck. And another walking deck which are the ones we have  been using. But they  don't extend the full perimeter of the ship but still are plenty long enough for us

They aren't covered either 

And have sunbeds and Jacuzzis and chairs all around them

None of which get in the way  at all

Naturally, a larger ship needs more levels of open deck space to accommodate the higher passenger numbers.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

I love that tiered stern on Aurora.  They don't make 'em like that any more.

I think Ventura and Azura have a similar size tiered aft. It's just that they are so much bigger with more passenger decks, so it finishes way higher than Aurora.

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think Ventura and Azura have a similar size tiered aft. It's just that they are so much bigger with more passenger decks, so it finishes way higher than Aurora.

Also, on Azura/Ventura, it only extends over 3 decks, one of which I believe is a dedicated children's space. On Aurora they extend over 5 or 6 decks.

• Like 2

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Andrew, just looking at our cruise and scrolled down to see "For a Little Extra" and it includes Andersons?  We always used to go there for a drink.  Do you now pay for that?

https://www.pocruises.com/find-a-cruise/R319/R319

Never had a free drink in Anderson's, how do you manage it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Andrew, just looking at our cruise and scrolled down to see "For a Little Extra" and it includes Andersons?  We always used to go there for a drink.  Do you now pay for that?

https://www.pocruises.com/find-a-cruise/R319/R319

Just P&O's cack-handed way of saying drinks are at your own expense...

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Just P&O's cack-handed way of saying drinks are at your own expense...

Andrew, having sailed with Shirley for 10 years, it's going to be very odd without her.  Went to the funeral last week and it ended with them playing one of her records.  Very tearful.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Andrew, having sailed with Shirley for 10 years, it's going to be very odd without her.  Went to the funeral last week and it ended with them playing one of her records.  Very tearful.

That must have been very difficult Jean. Thinking of you.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Even then, I doubt that the fans of the small ships would be tempted.

Although I adore Aurora, its the 'adult only' bit that's really important to us.  Having seen parents letting kids play football in the atrium and teenage groups on the larger ships playing 'tag' up and down he staircase and in the lifts we prefer the more sedate cruises!

I'm sure P&O could fill a mid size ship like Britannia with adults - I hope they can find a few places we haven't been to before though.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Would cost a fortune because they would get nicked-totally impractical. Also there is the problem of hygiene of possibility the same set of headsets being used by numerous people.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1