Need Advice for Niew Amsterdam Corner SB Neptune | Alaska Southbound (Decks 4, 5, 6, and 8 Available)

bvocruise

My wife and I are heading to Alaska next July and will sail the NA from Alaska to Canada. We are splurging for a Neptune Suite and are interested in a SB corner on the port side of the ship. We wanted deck 7 but it is already taken. Our options are deck 4, 5, 6, or 8. We currently have the deck 6 one on hold. Our friends cruised in it awhile back for the same route and loved it. I've heard the one on deck six is the worst room of the bunch and it super small compared to the others.

I ruled out deck 8 because it is underneath the Lido Deck and could be loud. We are also concerned about cigarette smoke since the main smoking area is there.

The one on deck 4 looks really good but is quite a ways from the lounge.

We are open to any advice or pointers. My agent is checking in case the people for deck 7 cancel is that is supposedly the best one on the ship.

The corner afts vary a lot on the Vistas, and deck 6 are the smallest. But I think there is less (but still some) variation in size of aft on the Signatures. Balcony sizes don't have the variation on the Signatures that you see on the Vistas.

Try looking at pictures of cabins on halfacts. 

Signature Class | HAL Cruiser Information (halfacts.com)

Just in case you did not know, people talk about Vista Class, Signature class, etc.  Nieuw Amsterdam and it's companion ship Eurodam are Signature class.  Go to halfacts.com, pull down the Signature Class near the top of the page for NA, then scroll down the list for floors 4,5 6 and you will see these rooms.  However, keep in mind that some posts are old and do not reflect current conditions, so look for the date of the post.  4th floor would be SB4176 and SB4183 5186 and 5187, 6164 and 6175.  I'll contact my friend who knows everything about HAL staterooms and see if he has any comment.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Just in case you did not know, people talk about Vista Class, Signature class, etc.  Nieuw Amsterdam and it's companion ship Eurodam are Signature class.  Go to halfacts.com, pull down the Signature Class near the top of the page for NA, then scroll down the list for floors 4,5 6 and you will see these rooms.  However, keep in mind that some posts are old and do not reflect current conditions, so look for the date of the post.  4th floor would be SB4176 and SB4183 5186 and 5187, 6164 and 6175.  I'll contact my friend who knows everything about HAL staterooms and see if he has any comment.  

I appreciate the replies. I did some research before posting here. I looked at Princess but they opened their season earlier and most of the prime cabins are taken. We have sailed Hal before about 10 years ago. We normally did regular balcony rooms but did a purchased upgrade to a Neptune Sweet once. 

Just looked at the HalFact aft wrap photos for 4,5,6,7,8. and they all look pretty much the same- and get enthusiastic reviews.  Maybe how one chooses to arrange the deck furniture for themselves makes a difference in how they look.

I would not worry about noise or smoke coming down to Deck 8 but if you have a choice, pick which decks you want to be closest too -and distance to the Neptune  Lounge can be key too. 

The best part of any aft wrap is the very corner of the deck is where your views extend 180 degrees - those are the moments to love the most and any  aft wrap on any deck will offer you those perfect views. 

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your indulgence. Good place to have such sweeping views.

Edited by OlsSalt

11 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Just looked at the HalFact aft wrap photos for 4,5,6,7,8. and they all look pretty much the same- and get enthusiastic reviews.  Maybe how one chooses to arrange the deck furniture for themselves makes a difference in how they look.

I would not worry about noise or smoke coming down to Deck 8 but if you have a choice, pick which decks you want to be closest too -and distance to the Neptune  Lounge can be key too. 

The best part of any aft wrap is the very corner of the deck is where your views extend 180 degrees - those are the moments to love the most and any  aft wrap on any deck will offer you those perfect views. 

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your indulgence. Good place to have such sweeping views.

Thank you for the reply. The deck 6 cabin does look smaller an the deck plans compared to the others but I think we will keep it. I'll keep my eyes open in case the one on deck 7 opens up. 

6 minutes ago, janmcn said:

Corner aft can have the window washing mechanism on it…fyi Check Halfacts.

Oh no! I might need to just book a regular one then. I don't want the view to be entirely blocked. I'm surprised they put expensive suites there if the view is not good.

Edited by bvocruise
typo

1 minute ago, bvocruise said:

Oh no! I might need to just book a regular one then. I don't want the view to entirely blocked.

It isn’t blocking your view…halfacts has a photo of one of them…Eurodam? Can’t remember…you wouldn’t notice it but it might be noisy if you were on your Verandah…it would be the lowest deck Neptune if I recall.

9 minutes ago, janmcn said:

Check 4176 Nieuw Amsterdam on Halfacts for photo of the washer. 

I think we can live with the washer thing since it does not block the view. The corner aft cabins are going fast for some reason. 

43 minutes ago, bvocruise said:

I think we can live with the washer thing since it does not block the view. The corner aft cabins are going fast for some reason. 

They are premium real estate for Alaska cruises, since there is so much scenery to view from the ship itself. And there are so few of them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

They are premium real estate for Alaska cruises, since there is so much scenery to view from the ship itself. And there are so few of them.

Absolutely! The sail to the glaciers is slow, and you don't need to be outside the whole time. If the weather is dreary, it's nice to be able to go out for a while, see the view, then go inside to warm up--especially with room service coffee.

I don't much care how big my cabin is--for me  it's all about the view from the balcony!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

My travel agent mentioned most people want a Neptune Suite by the lounged and was surprised about wanting a corner one.

1 minute ago, bvocruise said:

My travel agent mentioned most people want a Neptune Suite by the lounged and was surprised about wanting a corner one.

Your travel agent it right, The aft wraps are a hike to get to the Neptune lounge, so lounge access may not  even matter that much - you are buying the view with Neptune aft wraps, and all the other Neptune perks, which still are plenty. 

26 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Your travel agent it right, The aft wraps are a hike to get to the Neptune lounge, so lounge access may not  even matter that much - you are buying the view with Neptune aft wraps, and all the other Neptune perks, which still are plenty. 

I don't know if we will go to the lounge much anyway. My wife might send me to get her coffee and things. I think the view from the back and side is a better perk than quick lounge access for this particular cruise. My favorite perk is being able to eat in the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast. We did that before and it was great. It looks like they added Club Orange since we last sailed. I think the only noteworthy perk is one extra entree to select from at dinner. I'm excited to try the Dive In burger place. I wish the hours were longer and that they did not close around 5. We might just splurge and pay the room service surcharge to get a late night burger.

• Like 1

We had the port side aft wrap on deck 8 of the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2021 for an Alaskan cruise.  There was no problem with noise and I didn't notice cigarette smoke coming down.   It might be more prevalent if the weather is good.  

We loved that cabin and would book it again.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

We had the port side aft wrap on deck 8 of the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2021 for an Alaskan cruise.  There was no problem with noise and I didn't notice cigarette smoke coming down.   It might be more prevalent if the weather is good.  

We loved that cabin and would book it again.  

I went to change from deck 6 to 8 and it was already gone. My current choices for port site are 5 and 6. The starboard ones are still available on 4, 5, and 7. They are all available early last week.

1 hour ago, bvocruise said:

I went to change from deck 6 to 8 and it was already gone. My current choices for port site are 5 and 6. The starboard ones are still available on 4, 5, and 7. They are all available early last week.

Why are you set on port side? I'd grab the deck 7 cabin. It's a hike to the lounge, but at least it's on the same deck.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Why are you set on port side? I'd grab the deck 7 cabin. It's a hike to the lounge, but at least it's on the same deck.

We were told by friends the port side view is better for Alaska cruises going to Canada. It appears to be the case looking at how many port side cabins are already taken for the 2024 season in comparison to starboard ones. It would not matter if we were doing a round trip though. 

15 hours ago, LindaSSF said:

We have stayed in all these on port side. 8 - never again with pool noise. 

deck six was exceptionally small, relatively speaking. 

I would grab either 5 or 7. 

Thank you for the advice. We switched to deck 5 as the port side one on deck 7 is already taken. I will check periodically in case it opens up.

On 2/26/2023 at 10:46 PM, bvocruise said:

My wife and I are heading to Alaska next July and will sail the NA from Alaska to Canada. We are splurging for a Neptune Suite and are interested in a SB corner on the port side of the ship. We wanted deck 7 but it is already taken. Our options are deck 4, 5, 6, or 8. We currently have the deck 6 one on hold. Our friends cruised in it awhile back for the same route and loved it. I've heard the one on deck six is the worst room of the bunch and it super small compared to the others.

I ruled out deck 8 because it is underneath the Lido Deck and could be loud. We are also concerned about cigarette smoke since the main smoking area is there.

The one on deck 4 looks really good but is quite a ways from the lounge.

We are open to any advice or pointers. My agent is checking in case the people for deck 7 cancel is that is supposedly the best one on the ship.

The smoking area is on the Starboard side and even sitting on the Seaview deck Port side, on the NA, we didn't notice the smoke. As for the SB on deck eight, we had the one on the Starboard side. It was a different class but was a cruise to Alaska. We only noticed noise from the Lido deck when we were in Glacier Bay and we were making just as much noise. A side benefit of the aft cabins, for Alaska, is a lot of the wind and cold are blocked while you are outside. Our cruise was in May and we were still able to be on our deck whenever we wanted without dressing like you were going to the North Pole. A light jacket or sweater was all that was needed. All aft cabins are quite a distance from the lounge, so we actually lost weight that cruise by getting in plenty of walking.

• Like 1