No exchanges anymore for mini bar to coffee?

teacherplus

30 minutes ago, AE_Collector said:

We just did something we have never done before, cancelled a cruise. We have booked and completed 43 Princess cruises totalling 444 days. But, there is a first for everything. We have always been more than satisfied with our time onboard Princess but the combination of steady reduction of Elite Perks along with a bunch of other problems all related to booking with Princess has made us realize after 10 years of exclusive loyalty that we made a mistake. So, we’re starting over looking around elsewhere. No one or two or even three of these complaints are worth this drastic action but I didn’t bore you with all the rest of the apparently unresolvable problems and three attempts to discuss with Customer Relations has led to no attempted contact from them. We are more than disappointed.

Sorry to hear that. Good for you for voting with your feet. After a really bad experience with customer service on a Princess cruise years ago we said never again, but relented 5 years later. We had wonderful experiences on our 2022 Princess cruises, but our January one to Hawaii definitely had some issues to the point that I have emailed them twice and as expected heard nothing. We are still cruising with Princess, but we also cruise in HAL and Celebrity so I’m realistic as to what else is out there for mass market cruising. I keep my expectations low and I make sure I don’t overpay for the quality I expect to receive. 
I wish you well in finding an alternative you will enjoy. 

• Like 1

We commented on lack of coffee bar to several officers on the ship and also comment card.

Since we no longer drink the $ 60 drink package makes no sense to us. Asked a  international  waitress if they were selling  less coffee but soon became apparent she had no idea what I was asking her.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Micahs Grandad said:

We commented on lack of coffee bar to several officers on the ship and also comment card.

Since we no longer drink the $ 60 drink package makes no sense to us. Asked a  international  waitress if they were selling  less coffee but soon became apparent she had no idea what I was asking her.

I really think the majority (meaning 50% or more) of passengers are buying the plus packages, so this doesn’t matter to them.  We are the minority I suspect. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I really think the majority (meaning 50% or more) of passengers are buying the plus packages, so this doesn’t matter to them.  We are the minority I suspect. 

Exactly. The Plus and Premier packages at the costs charged are proving to be very popular. And for people who consume alcohol, why wouldn’t they be? People are going on vacation and are inclined to splurge a little and drink a bit more (or a lot more) than when they have car keys in their pockets. For those who don’t drink alcohol the packages probably don’t make sense. So they buy coffee by the cup. Not sure what the problem is. It seems to be: “With the old coffee card/package I spent less for the card/package than 15 coffee drinks plus brewed coffees cost.”  That was good for you, but not for Princess. With the debt Princess/Carnival is carrying, the days of “good for you, bad for Princess” are over. And it’s not like the difference is game-changing. The coffee card/package was around $36-$37 dollars. How much does it cost to buy 15 specialty coffee drinks plus brewed coffee by the cup?  Two cappuccinos and one Americano per day is around $10 per day. For a seven day cruise that is $70, or $33 more than the old card/package price. Hardly worth going to war over. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

…For a seven day cruise that is $70, or $33 more than the old card/package price. Hardly worth going to war over. 

I think the issue(s) that has drawn so much discussion and frustration is not just this but also the lose of the ability for an elite passengers to trade their bar startup for a pair of the cards. On a lengthy voyage most couples will have taken a loss in both areas. This is after the too many to count hits in so many other loyalty related benefits beginning even before covid. And finally more broadly the way the change was implemented was just pathetic.  

It is safe to say we all want Carnival/Princess to survive but that doesn’t mean we have to like or agree with all of the decisions being made. It’s a bit hard to believe the company is in good hands and leadership understands how important customer relations is to a company so dependent on customer loyalty.  

Basic communications related to changes like this one is not rocket science and could go a long way to getting support for what’s needed to manage their way through this without leaving passengers to try to figure out what the heck is really going on. 

There are millions being spent on communicating goals, strategies, efforts and forecast to lenders and large stock holders but when was the last time any such communications have been directed to customers who are critical to meeting those goals? Instead the cancellation of the coffee card program simply disappeared. Everyone who used them were left in the dark and came here to ask others if they knew what was going on and ending up asking those onboard to ask the crew what is going one because no one at the 800# could tell us and nothing on the Princess site told us diddly.

The truth is there is STILL no official word on what has occurred, only many anecdotal tidbits of info has been gathered from ship crews and passengers experiences which differ to this day from ship to ship. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

I think the issue(s) that has drawn so much discussion and frustration is not just this but also the lose of the ability for an elite passengers to trade their bar startup for a pair of the cards. On a lengthy voyage most couples will have taken a loss in both areas. This is after the too many to count hits in so many other loyalty related benefits beginning even before covid. And finally more broadly the way the change was implemented was just pathetic.  

It is safe to say we all want Carnival/Princess to survive but that doesn’t mean we have to like or agree with all of the decisions being made. It’s a bit hard to believe the company is in good hands and leadership understands how important customer relations is to a company so dependent on customer loyalty.  

Basic communications related to changes like this one is not rocket science and could go a long way to getting support for what’s needed to manage their way through this without leaving passengers to try to figure out what the heck is really going on. 

There are millions being spent on communicating goals, strategies, efforts and forecast to lenders and large stock holders but when was the last time any such communications have been directed to customers who are critical to meeting those goals? Instead the cancellation of the coffee card program simply disappeared. Everyone who used them were left in the dark and came here to ask others if they knew what was going on and ending up asking those onboard to ask the crew what is going one because no one at the 800# could tell us and nothing on the Princess site told us diddly.

The truth is there is STILL no official word on what has occurred, only many anecdotal tidbits of info has been gathered from ship crews and passengers experiences which differ to this day from ship to ship. 

A very simple thing would have been to give each person in the stateroom a $35-$40 OBC as a trade for the minibar. They could have then applied it to coffee if they wanted. We were about to become elite and aren’t interested in the minibar, but I’m also no interested in a trade for soda or water. I don’t drink soda and I can get water for free.

• Like 2

I wonder if I would be prevented from bringing my own little personal Keurig machine on board and making my own coffee.  This loss of the "exchange my little bar service"  for my little old coffee card which I really did enjoy having (because it also included those frozen coffee drinks) is really really really really sad.  I do have some on board credit and the thought that I now have to use it towards buying brewed coffee is sad sad sad.  On Royal Caribbean, we still get free lattes in the Diamond Lounge as Diamonds / Diamond Pluses and we also still get four free (or was it 3) coupons added to our cards daily for alcoholic beverages and or specialty coffees.  My husband drinks neither alcohol or coffee (so I did have 6 or 8 coupons) daily, so forgive me for not getting the number we each got correct).   If Princess is going to be so miserly, Royal Caribbean is calling out my name, come here, come here.  I would suggest that someone (maybe me) contact the Loyalty team at Princess to get the goods on what is happening with these cards.   The other thing too, it has been quite a while since I have seen any promotion for Sail now, and get the alcoholic beverage package (the Princess Plus) for free.   I used to like that one.  In fact we took advantage of it for our 2019 Sky Princess cruise.  Again, I have not seen that in a while and then again I just started cruising once again in February, but on RCCL.  

3 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Sorry to hear that. Good for you for voting with your feet. After a really bad experience with customer service on a Princess cruise years ago we said never again, but relented 5 years later. We had wonderful experiences on our 2022 Princess cruises, but our January one to Hawaii definitely had some issues to the point that I have emailed them twice and as expected heard nothing. We are still cruising with Princess, but we also cruise in HAL and Celebrity so I’m realistic as to what else is out there for mass market cruising. I keep my expectations low and I make sure I don’t overpay for the quality I expect to receive. 
I wish you well in finding an alternative you will enjoy. 

I’m sure the reductions in perks is similar across most cruise lines. None of them are making money off the cruise fares considering fuel and food cost increases. Celebrity is most likely where we return to first. 

41 minutes ago, pink845 said:

I wonder if I would be prevented from bringing my own little personal Keurig machine on board and making my own coffee.  This loss of the "exchange my little bar service"  for my little old coffee card which I really did enjoy having (because it also included those frozen coffee drinks) is really really really really sad.  I do have some on board credit and the thought that I now have to use it towards buying brewed coffee is sad sad sad.  On Royal Caribbean, we still get free lattes in the Diamond Lounge as Diamonds / Diamond Pluses and we also still get four free (or was it 3) coupons added to our cards daily for alcoholic beverages and or specialty coffees.  My husband drinks neither alcohol or coffee (so I did have 6 or 8 coupons) daily, so forgive me for not getting the number we each got correct).   If Princess is going to be so miserly, Royal Caribbean is calling out my name, come here, come here.  I would suggest that someone (maybe me) contact the Loyalty team at Princess to get the goods on what is happening with these cards.   The other thing too, it has been quite a while since I have seen any promotion for Sail now, and get the alcoholic beverage package (the Princess Plus) for free.   I used to like that one.  In fact we took advantage of it for our 2019 Sky Princess cruise.  Again, I have not seen that in a while and then again I just started cruising once again in February, but on RCCL.  

I think any sort of coffee machine or kettle could well be a problem in a cabin. Wiring may not support the amount of current drawn by things heating water. We routinely have my power bar checked and sometimes confiscated so getting a coffee maker past them could be interesting.

I was already miffed that they wouldn’t allow a half minibar and one coffee card. The minibar perk is a drinks related item and the actual minibar could so easily be changed to actually being considered two individual minibars in one for book keeping since there are two of each item included now. Then there would be no reason to not allow the new smaller minibar and one coffee card to keep both people in the cabin happy since they already have to share the minibar even when both are elite. This to me is a perfect example of something they could have changed as a small improvement to offset all the negative changes to perks but instead the entire coffee card is gone now.

Edited by AE_Collector
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I think you are correct.  I also believe that in the past, Princess sold very few Coffee only “cards”.   Most were given out in exchanges.  And for years people gamed the system.  Princess  knows  those exact numbers.  

I also cannot imagine that Princess will sell a lot of the non alcoholic packages that include the speciality coffees.  

i would like to see Princess eliminate the mini bar set up and replace it with an OBC of an equivalently value that can be used for speciality coffees or anything else.  The minibar is of little value for those with one of the Packages.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gottagocit said:

On a lengthy voyage most couples will have taken a loss in both areas.

I don’t agree. You use the word “most”. But in truth, most will have a package making both the minibar AND the coffee card superfluous. Princess is providing OBC as an exchange for the minibar setup and that would seem to be a better solution for “most”. One can debate whether the amount of the OBC is sufficient, but the whole coffee debate has become mooted by the popularity of the packages. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Exactly. The Plus and Premier packages at the costs charged are proving to be very popular. And for people who consume alcohol, why wouldn’t they be? People are going on vacation and are inclined to splurge a little and drink a bit more (or a lot more) than when they have car keys in their pockets. For those who don’t drink alcohol the packages probably don’t make sense. So they buy coffee by the cup. Not sure what the problem is. It seems to be: “With the old coffee card/package I spent less for the card/package than 15 coffee drinks plus brewed coffees cost.”  That was good for you, but not for Princess. With the debt Princess/Carnival is carrying, the days of “good for you, bad for Princess” are over. And it’s not like the difference is game-changing. The coffee card/package was around $36-$37 dollars. How much does it cost to buy 15 specialty coffee drinks plus brewed coffee by the cup?  Two cappuccinos and one Americano per day is around $10 per day. For a seven day cruise that is $70, or $33 more than the old card/package price. Hardly worth going to war over. 

Well… the basic difference is each fancy coffee is about 5.00 - at least the fun blended ones are. So, more like 75.00 x 2 people is 150.00( at most) plus however many free fresh brewed you wanted, before people didn’t have to pay it, they just traded the mini bar, now they do. It irks just me like getting the internet at 50% off, instead of what I got for free, which was more than enough for us. 
We feel the water onboard is good enough to drink, we don’t usually drink alcohol and only a purchase few cans of soda over 2 weeks, so now I really just have another worthless perk. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Well… the basic difference is each fancy coffee is about 5.00 - at least the fun blended ones are.

I’m using a current menu that shows $2.50 and $3.50 for the most commonly ordered drinks. (Espresso, Cappuccino, etc.). And I don’t see how OBC can be a “worthless perk”. It is quiet literally the opposite. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I don’t agree. You use the word “most”. But in truth, most will have a package making both the minibar AND the coffee card superfluous. Princess is providing OBC as an exchange for the minibar setup and that would seem to be a better solution for “most”. One can debate whether the amount of the OBC is sufficient, but the whole coffee debate has become mooted by the popularity of the packages. 

But I only saw one person here in this discussion who said they negotiated a one time OBC while onboard because of the surprise lack of minibar coffee card swap.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I’m using a current menu that shows $2.50 and $3.50 for the most commonly ordered drinks. (Espresso, Cappuccino, etc.). And I don’t see how OBC can be a “worthless perk”. It is quite literally the opposite. 

I don’t think OBC is a worthless perk and it is not being offered. From what I have read, there has only been one person who did get 50.00 after going to GS. 
As I said, the fancy drinks are up to 5.00 and I should have added that those are really the ones we drink. We also enjoyed the free fresh brewed. 

The attachment is current and I am assuming to be correct. I couldn’t find a picture of it, but  I’ll find out myself in a couple of weeks. 

I am not about to go to GS, I will just be happy with whatever happens. Maybe I’ll even take up drinking.. just to get my perk! 😗

5D044FB2-65CF-44E8-BA42-D2A9EEB33830.jpeg

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I think you are correct.  I also believe that in the past, Princess sold very few Coffee only “cards”.   Most were given out in exchanges.  And for years people gamed the system.  Princess  knows  those exact numbers.  

I also cannot imagine that Princess will sell a lot of the non alcoholic packages that include the speciality coffees.  

i would like to see Princess eliminate the mini bar set up and replace it with an OBC of an equivalently value that can be used for specialty coffees or anything else.  The minibar is of little value for those with one of the Packages.

The don't need to eliminate the mini-bar perk as it is quite useful to those of us who book Standard Fares.  They could add a new exchange option as several posters have suggested - the OBC (non-refundable of course).  They would just have to come up with a dollar-value that works for PCL and the guest.  Hopefully, they would make it the value of whatever the wine sells for that we can switch for.  We don't swap for the wine and I don't keep track of the max value.  I imagine something like $70 - $80 would be in line with both the wine and former value of two coffee packages.  

• Like 1

My response to several current posts on this subject.

We just got off the Enchanted 4 days ago. 20 night b2b. 

They are still in the transition mode for the discontinued coffee card.  The crew was confused about it also.

1st cruise:  I had planned to switch mini bar for 2 coffee cards….cabin steward said he’d do it for me.  Several hours later, he said sorry…cannot do it.  He had not been told about the discontinued coffee card package.

I Called GS and they gave us a $50 OBC per person to buy our coffees AND I still switched out the mini bar ….alcohol for preferred alcohol and non alcohol for preferred non alcohol.

Then….I looked at the ocean concierge…my beverage package and there was an option to buy a new grounds coffee card!!! I purchased one.  So, I used the new grounds coffee package, just like the old days..15 coffees.  @Shelly97060 had mentioned this on the ship she was on, during the same period.  I had just purchased it and was unable to post it.

Second b2b…I had pre purchased 1 coffee package, so DH and I would share it on a 6 night cruise.  There it was…still under my beverage package.  We used it as usual, 15 coffees, no issues.

I called RS on the 2nd b2b and asked to switch out this mini bar, the day before the turnaround for 1 bottle of wine. I requested a $77 bottle.  Nope!  Best they do was a $44 bottle.  Not really an equal value.  

They have not updated Ocean concierge….shocker!  Maybe one day, they will update it.  Big change I noticed…they said they no longer have Large cups of lattes, only a regular size.  So, we said, then give us 2 lattes. They did.  They said all the ships were only going to have regular sizes, but I don’t think they know. I believe it was a supply issue, due to the upcoming dry dock.

You may only see 1 post here that they received OBC because of the discontinued coffee card, but many do not post about their OBC. I know many elite’s who DID get an OBC for the inability to switch their mini bar for coffee cards. I couldn’t post anything, because of the non existent internet on the Enchanted.  

Believe me, if you’re traveling soon, YMMV!

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AE_Collector said:

I think any sort of coffee machine or kettle could well be a problem in a cabin. Wiring may not support the amount of current drawn by things heating water. We routinely have my power bar checked and sometimes confiscated so getting a coffee maker past them could be interesting.

We were recently on the Enchanted TA and were given a kettle for our cabin by our room steward.  So maybe they don't want a kettle in every cabin, but the wiring and amount of current must be sufficient or Princess wouldn't have given us one.  Our steward did say he had to ask his supervisor before giving it to us, but I didn't ask why he had to get approval.  

4 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I don’t think OBC is a worthless perk and it is not being offered. From what I have read, there has only been one person who did get 50.00 after going to GS. 
As I said, the fancy drinks are up to 5.00 and I should have added that those are really the ones we drink. We also enjoyed the free fresh brewed. 

Not sure if I'm the person you're referring to, but dh and I both received $50 obc to make up for the coffee cards.  This actually came about, or could have come about anyway, in three ways:

1.  Upon boarding, we acted dumb and approached the front desk to trade the mini bar for coffee on the off chance that maybe we could still get it.  The answer was sure, no problem.  Wow, great, fantastic, until we got a call later from gs saying sorry, we no longer do that but we'll give you $50 each and you can keep the minibar.  Done.

2.  At the meet & greet, several members complained about the coffee package being discontinued, and the rep there took down cabin numbers and offered the $50.  So we could have gone that route if we hadn't already gotten the obc.

3.  I was chatting with the captain's circle rep and mentioned the coffee package.  She offered to take my cabin number and award the $50 so I could have gotten it that way also.  

So since it was offered to us three times it seemed to be a ship-approved solution to the issue, but I have no idea if it will continue or not.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AE_Collector said:

But I only saw one person here in this discussion who said they negotiated a one time OBC while onboard because of the surprise lack of minibar coffee card swap.

Was that me?  I posted about my experience last week on the Regal.  I called room service after boarding, the mini bar wasn't in the room yet, and she immediately told me that they didn't do the exchange for coffee anymore, but offered me $50/pp goodwill OBC to pay for our weekly coffee or we could exchange for the other options.

She told me they were doing this currently because of the complaints of elites with that perk gone.  We took it.

Side note:  If you don't have the drink packages, check the prices you are being charged.  in the Pastry Shop coffee bar, they only had one size drink available, and it was supposed to be $3.75, which is $4.13 with gratuity.  For two that would be $8.26 for two.  Every day for the first 6 days of the cruise, I was charged wrong.  Most of the time, they charged me $10+.  I went to passenger services to ask if it could be corrected.  He tried to call the Food and Beverage manager, but never got an answer, and ended up refunding all those charges to me.  I told him I just wanted it corrected, but he said they had received many complaints about it.

So, check your charges to make sure they are right.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The don't need to eliminate the mini-bar perk as it is quite useful to those of us who book Standard Fares.  They could add a new exchange option as several posters have suggested - the OBC (non-refundable of course).  They would just have to come up with a dollar-value that works for PCL and the guest. 

Yep.  The "goodwill" OBC they offered us was refundable, which surprised me.

On another side note, we went "packageless" on this cruise because we consider the prices of the packages outrageous now.  It worked out great for us.  At least at FLL, they do not seem to check what you bring on.  I had two cases of coke zero in my carry on, and a case of water and coke zero in my checked bag.  No issues.  I assume had we wanted more, we could have done the same for my wife's bags.  I thought they would at least open to check to see if it was alcohol, but they didn't.

My drink package cost me about $15 for the week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pompeii said:

We were recently on the Enchanted TA and were given a kettle for our cabin by our room steward.  So maybe they don't want a kettle in every cabin, but the wiring and amount of current must be sufficient or Princess wouldn't have given us one.  Our steward did say he had to ask his supervisor before giving it to us, but I didn't ask why he had to get approval.  

Not sure if I'm the person you're referring to, but dh and I both received $50 obc to make up for the coffee cards.  This actually came about, or could have come about anyway, in three ways:

1.  Upon boarding, we acted dumb and approached the front desk to trade the mini bar for coffee on the off chance that maybe we could still get it.  The answer was sure, no problem.  Wow, great, fantastic, until we got a call later from gs saying sorry, we no longer do that but we'll give you $50 each and you can keep the minibar.  Done.

2.  At the meet & greet, several members complained about the coffee package being discontinued, and the rep there took down cabin numbers and offered the $50.  So we could have gone that route if we hadn't already gotten the obc.

3.  I was chatting with the captain's circle rep and mentioned the coffee package.  She offered to take my cabin number and award the $50 so I could have gotten it that way also.  

So since it was offered to us three times it seemed to be a ship-approved solution to the issue, but I have no idea if it will continue or not.  

Yes, and you had to either “act dumb”, be included with the group that complained at a private event, or mention it to to a rep.
I do not understand why Princess is just waiting for people to complain, I guess they figure only a small percentage will and they are probably right. 

It not my style, so I’ll just be happy with whatever it is. 

Maybe it will someday be an option on the app. People could just choose between the mini bar or OBC.

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The don't need to eliminate the mini-bar perk as it is quite useful to those of us who book Standard Fares.  They could add a new exchange option as several posters have suggested - the OBC (non-refundable of course).  They would just have to come up with a dollar-value that works for PCL and the guest.  Hopefully, they would make it the value of whatever the wine sells for that we can switch for.  We don't swap for the wine and I don't keep track of the max value.  I imagine something like $70 - $80 would be in line with both the wine and former value of two coffee packages.  

I certainly see that it has value for those that book only standard fares.  Are you saying that you did not swap out your mini bar set up for the previous Coffee package in the past?

if you could get an equivalent value would you prefer OBC?  $50 OBC pp for each mini bar set up seems more than fair.

2 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Yes, and you had to either “act dumb”, be included with the group that complained at a private event, or mention it to to a rep.
I do not understand why Princess is just waiting for people to complain, I guess they figure only a small percentage will and they are probably right. 

It not my style, so I’ll just be happy with whatever it is. 

Maybe it will someday be an option on the app. People could just choose between the mini bar or OBC.

It does not seem totally fair to only offer the OBC for those the previously wanted to swap.  Princess should offer the OBC as a standard swap option and allow those that have a package to also trade for OBC.  I am not sure why Princess would want to focus on only those booking a standard fare.

i agree that one should not have to complain.

For us the internet change is a good one.  I always want unlimited.  The minute packages were a big pain for us.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I certainly see that it has value for those that book only standard fares.  Are you saying that you did not swap out your mini bar set up for the previous Coffee package in the past?

if you could get an equivalent value would you prefer OBC?  $50 OBC pp for each mini bar set up seems more than fair.

No (but we would have switched half the mini-bar for a single coffee package if allowed).

Our standard swap is all 10 alcohol for beer(s) of choice and all 10 non-alcohol for Perrier (Pellegrino is fine too, but the contents are less ounces than with the Perrier).  If on a B2B, the next one might vary, depending on supplies.  I think $50 Non-Ref OBC is fair enough.  However, the value of two coffee packages was about $20 more than that.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

No (but we would have switched half the mini-bar for a single coffee package if allowed).

Our standard swap is all 10 alcohol for beer(s) of choice and all 10 non-alcohol for Perrier (Pellegrino is fine too, but the contents are less ounces than with the Perrier).  If on a B2B, the next one might vary, depending on supplies.  I think $50 Non-Ref OBC is fair enough.  However, the value of two coffee packages was about $20 more than that.

The coffee package was $36.58 per package, so for 2 it was $73.16.  They gave us $50 pp OBC.  Better deal for us the first cruise.  The 2nd cruise, the bottle of wine value was only $44 total. Not so great, neither was the wine. 😆 

No consistency here.

• Like 1