What's the current out-of-pocket cost for a solo Moderno meal?

7 minutes ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

There's no pricing on the menu aside from the cocktails...anyone know how much Moderno is for 1 meal if you just want to use cash/OBC? 

On our last cruise in October on the Pearl, if I remember correctly, it was $49.00 plus 20% gratuity, or $58.80.

vacation44! while i agree in principal, why do you think it's ridiculous? it's all you can eat of assorted meats, and a humongous salad bar. unless something has changed, the end of of january when we were on  the jewel, it's also one of the restaurants offered on the dining package.

i think the quality has gone down in both the food and the service, you have the alternative not to spend your money and not eat there,

for my money, cagney's is still numero UNO!

It's enjoyable if using dining vouchers and/or comp'd Platinum coupon for a meal there, although there are fewer choices at the salad bar these days (less variety than pre-Covid days) - avoid filling up with the included sides, leave room for dessert (no takeout being the new "policy") and you won't leave hungry.  We usually book and eat early there, i.e. before going to catch a show in the main theater - otherwise, you'll be stuffed full all night long - fun with a small group of family or friends, etc. to chat for the evening.  

$59 as an "upcharged" dining supplement (was $29 p/p + 20% not long ago) ... not exactly a good value, to each her/his own.   NCL sailing 100% capacity ahead in financial "survival" mode and looking for more "affluent" cruisers that don't mind, just ink on the dotted line.  Cheers 😉

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Still a bit cheaper than on land.

Remember, you’ve already paid for a dinner in your cruise fare, so this is an up charge on top of that charge. If they built in $50 for the “basic” meal, it’s costing you $120!,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

Which I think is ridiculous.

It definitely is.  I can't imagine paying for Moderno (whether cash or OBC), and, quite frankly, my wife and I have decided it's not even worth using a FAS dinner or a Lats voucher there any longer.   The quality of the food just isn't good; the meats are tough and generally cold.  And at least on the ships we've sailed (mostly Jewel class), NCL just can't pull off a churrascaria; it's not busy enough to have the meats coming around as they should.  I wish they'd find a better use for the space. 

YMMV.

54 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Remember, you’ve already paid for a dinner in your cruise fare, so this is an up charge on top of that charge. If they built in $50 for the “basic” meal, it’s costing you $120!,

I’m going to estimate a basic meal closer to $15, I will ou I’d get pay anything for cruise like food on land. I’m curious why NCL charges about the same for the Brazilian steakhouse as a land one, but gouges on hibachi (here they run about $30 pp).

22 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

It definitely is.  I can't imagine paying for Moderno (whether cash or OBC), and, quite frankly, my wife and I have decided it's not even worth using a FAS dinner or a Lats voucher there any longer.   The quality of the food just isn't good; the meats are tough and generally cold.  And at least on the ships we've sailed (mostly Jewel class), NCL just can't pull off a churrascaria; it's not busy enough to have the meats coming around as they should.  I wish they'd find a better use for the space. 

YMMV.

New ships like Prima do not have Moderno. I don't mind using a Lattitude's voucher here, but would not spend an extra $59 to eat there. I just can't eat enough to justify it. I also do not like waiting for the meat I want to arrive. I do enjoy having a salad bar that is not in the busy buffet line. It is more relaxing, but of course, no matter how careful I am, I do tend to eat more than I wanted to before the meats arrive. I do recommend going there are one of the first days of the cruise before you are full and all your pants are too tight!!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

vacation44! while i agree in principal, why do you think it's ridiculous? it's all you can eat of assorted meats, and a humongous salad bar. unless something has changed, the end of of january when we were on  the jewel, it's also one of the restaurants offered on the dining package.

i think the quality has gone down in both the food and the service, you have the alternative not to spend your money and not eat there,

for my money, cagney's is still numero UNO!

While I understand that a good brazilin steakhouse will cost that much on land, I just do not think it should cost that much considering your fare includes dinner.    I realize prices have gone up with absolutely everything, this venue was $24.95 in 2018, but to me, the recent raise of over 20% is a little on the excessive side.

We will be dining at Moderno in a few weeks on the Epic using one of our credits and probably again on the Jewel in August.

On 3/1/2023 at 10:48 AM, mjkacmom said:

Still a bit cheaper than on land.

Really? Where are you going? My husband and I frequent Texas de Brasil in Central New York. Our combined bill (including 20%) tip is just south of $120. 

On 3/1/2023 at 11:18 AM, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Good advice to skip the sides. I ask them to not even bring them to my table. Classic buffet tactics...they'd rather you fill up on cheap white rice than eat the expensive stuff. It's also why I avoid the buffet sushi, too. 

We do the same...except the cheesy rolls. My husband loves them...more so at Texas de Brasil, than Moderno though. 

On 3/1/2023 at 1:30 PM, vacation44 said:

While I understand that a good brazilin steakhouse will cost that much on land, I just do not think it should cost that much considering your fare includes dinner.    I realize prices have gone up with absolutely everything, this venue was $24.95 in 2018, but to me, the recent raise of over 20% is a little on the excessive side.

We will be dining at Moderno in a few weeks on the Epic using one of our credits and probably again on the Jewel in August.

We would use an included Free at Sea meal on Moderno, but we'd never pay the cover charge at full rate! It's insane....and yes, I know it's only about $20 more than we pay at Texas de Brasil, but given we're giving NCL a discount on food (by not going to MDR/Haven/buffet), we're actually paying far more than $140 for a couple. 

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Really? Where are you going? My husband and I frequent Texas de Brasil in Central New York. Our combined bill (including 20%) tip is just south of $120. 

We do the same...except the cheesy rolls. My husband loves them...more so at Texas de Brasil, than Moderno though. 

We would use an included Free at Sea meal on Moderno, but we'd never pay the cover charge at full rate! It's insane....and yes, I know it's only about $20 more than we pay at Texas de Brasil, but given we're giving NCL a discount on food (by not going to MDR/Haven/buffet), we're actually paying far more than $140 for a couple. 

I think this is the closest chain (15 minutes away), $65 pp without tax and tip. That’s why I think moderno is a better deal than teppanyaki, since our closest habachi is around $30 pp before tax and tip.

https://fogodechao.com/menu-detail/?location=5389&type=menu-dinner&id=422

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if the Brazilian cocktails at Moderno are included as part of the premium plus drinks package? It is supposed to cover all cocktails, but am unsure if it works at Moderno, as the menu says that cocktails are extra.

Have not been before, so I would appreciate any advice from those who have.

11 hours ago, Cm1200 said:

Does anyone know if the Brazilian cocktails at Moderno are included as part of the premium plus drinks package? It is supposed to cover all cocktails, but am unsure if it works at Moderno, as the menu says that cocktails are extra.

Have not been before, so I would appreciate any advice from those who have.

@UKstages has the correct answer. I'll go a bit further and state that if you see a drink that is $15, or under, at any bar/restaurant on a Norwegian ship, then it will be included. The only exception (I believe) is the Haven where the menu shows the cost ABOVE the drink package, but not the full price. For example:

Cocktail 1 - $7 on Haven menu means that if you have the Free at Sea drink package, you'll be $7 + 20% gratuity for a total of $8.40, even though the full value of the drink is actually $22. If you have the Premium Plus drink package, the entire cost of the drink will be covered.

Makes sense in my head. Hopefully it does to others. 🙂 

Posted (edited)

all true, but in the haven and the vibe, bartenders routinely offer free "samples" of premium liquor and often "forget" to charge you the overage if you order something not covered. (not so much in the haven restaurant, but at the bar.)

Edited by UKstages