Poll: Very serious topic: New "baked" chicken wings

Sim1979

New "baked" chicken wings  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new "baked" chicken wing served at O'Sheehan/Local/etc... (please only vote if you tasted both, otherwise we will find you!)

• I prefer the new baked style and the new flavors
    • I prefer the new baked style but preferred the previous flavors
    • I preferred the old style (fried) and the previous flavors
    • I preferred the old style (fried) but like the new flavors better
    • I haven't tried both wings style / I don't like wings... (I don't know what i'm doing here)

This is a very serious topic, Frank Del Rio is monitoring this thread  😜

Personally i was looking forward to the new baked style as i usually prefer those over fried wings, but i was quite disappointed... first the flavor was uneven (sometimes too much sauce. sometimes not enough) and out of 4 times, twice they were over-cooked (i'm guessing maybe there is a learning curve or somethings and the cooking will be better over time). 

I also didn't like the new flavor that much (tried all three)... it didn't help that my favorite flavor (Jamaican Jerk) is gone.

Edited by Sim1979
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vacation44 said:

Have tried both, and the new ones are quite disappointing.    We are sailing in a few weeks and I have not broken the news to my son about the change as he loves their wings

During all of our previous cruise we always went a couple of time for wings during the night for a late snack... this cruise was first one we never mind even going once... might be a coincidence...

Just now, Sim1979 said:

During all of our previous cruise we always went a couple of time for wings during the night for a late snack... this cruise was first one we never mind even going once... might be a coincidence...

My son and husband also go there for a late night snack and I do not think it is a coincidence you did not on your last trip.  No more mozzarella sticks and now the baked wings.  

I question if they were even baked. At least my experience with them a few weeks ago on the Bliss was more like steamed. Even baked could at least had a crispy skin and not the texture of raw flesh. 
i guess there plan with the price of chicken wings going up to extreme levels was that requests for them will significantly go down. 

Edited by kelib
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

So disappointed with the new wings. Is it a health-kick type reason they aren't deep fried anymore, or is it an easier process to bake?

Also disappointed mozarella sticks are no more, as well as the fajitas.:(

I forgot about the fajitas!!!   

I had a great experience with food on the Joy both in specialty dining, the Garden Cafe and the main dining rooms, so on the last day I wanted to finally get to the wings at the Local. I couldn't even eat them, we ended up going up to the Garden Cafe. They were that bad. 

1 hour ago, psuboater said:

I had a great experience with food on the Joy both in specialty dining, the Garden Cafe and the main dining rooms, so on the last day I wanted to finally get to the wings at the Local. I couldn't even eat them, we ended up going up to the Garden Cafe. They were that bad. 

Mine were awesome on the joy.    Very tender pull right off the bone.  And the chili sauce was awesome. 

13 minutes ago, wcook said:

I have no opinion on the wings. But I want to thank you for being willing to raise such a serious topic. 

Most wont admit it, but chicken wings are the number 1 reason why we cruise...

Edited by Sim1979
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Captain-John said:

So disappointed with the new wings. Is it a health-kick type reason they aren't deep fried anymore, or is it an easier process to bake?

I doubt this change was done for "heath reasons" Most likely bean counters at NCL figured how much they  could save annually by not needing cooking oil for wings and Mozzerella stix

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Jeez...so what do they have left?  The hotdog and nachos?  

I remember when the chicken wings were to die for! 14 nights on the dawn and we ate em daily. Unfortunately my wife had blood work done on returning home. Her doctor called and said what were you eating as her cholesterol levels were through the roof! Blue lagoon days. Fast forward and we just got off the Getaway for 12 nights at the wings aren’t too good. Only tried em twice! Didn’t gain weight so I can live with it!

Loved the live bands 3 of em and dancing opportunities!

39 minutes ago, Joesantos said:

I remember when the chicken wings were to die for! 14 nights on the dawn and we ate em daily. Unfortunately my wife had blood work done on returning home. Her doctor called and said what were you eating as her cholesterol levels were through the roof! Blue lagoon days. Fast forward and we just got off the Getaway for 12 nights at the wings aren’t too good. Only tried em twice! Didn’t gain weight so I can live with it!

Loved the live bands 3 of em and dancing opportunities!

Yes! Blue lagoon! I was in my late teens / early 20s during those days and lived for midnight mozzarella sticks and artichoke dip at Blue Lagoon. My cousins and I all made it our cruise THING. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2 Fun Guys said:

Sorry... off topic but O'Sheehan's adjacent...

O'Sheehan's (Breakaway version) still has breakfast right? The updated menu on NCL.com only shows lunch/dinner.

Yes, they still have breakfast at O'Sheehan's.

On the topic of the wings: I didn't really notice that much of a difference in the baked ones except that the Buffalo wings were almost too hot (spicy) one of the times I had them. I don't usually order the wings since they are messy and I like other items on the menu.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

I like the baked.   Tender pull off the bone. And tastes were very good.  
we have enough fried foods in our life.  Lol.  
and the pretzel bites are awesome.  Just sayin.  

1FDEF2C4-29FE-4335-B3A5-F5E95E9F8B0B.jpeg

They actually look better than what I got on the Bliss

6 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

I doubt this change was done for "heath reasons" Most likely bean counters at NCL figured how much they  could save annually by not needing cooking oil for wings and Mozzerella stix

This right here. NCL could care less how "healthfully" you eat on their ships. 

• Like 2