Last day on Discovery cruise

californiagirl

I’ve made some comments on other threads but I have some observations that aren’t a tidy fit for those threads.

As I have mentioned in other threads this is my 4th cruise since the restart, second cruise with my husband since the restart and my first cruise as elite status. We have been on the Mexican Riviera for the week.  I did this exact cruise one year ago.  What a difference a year makes!  Tourism is fully back in these ports.  I suspect it has a lot to do with testing no longer being required to cruise and for people taking land trips testing no longer being required to re-enter the US.  In Cabo there were an exponential number of boats in the water taking tours compared with last February.  The port area was bustling.  Having been to Cabo several times before, we didn’t leave the port area.  We shopped and found an identical folding aluminum nativity scene to one I lost a few years ago.  I purchased it in Cabo in 2009.  We were in a store and I was lamenting to the clerk that I had not found one last year or this year.  She pulled one out from a shelf behind the counter!  She said the artist no longer lives in Cabo and she only has a few left and offers them for sale only at Christmas time.  I was thrilled and didn’t attempt to bargain with her.  She smiled and said she would give us a discount.  

In Mazatlan the number of people offering tours outside the secure port area is like years past.  We were in port with Disney Wonder and the area was packed.  I am very happy for the Mexican people.  The port area has hundreds of new cars waiting to be shipped.  There is more activity going on overall.  We took the ferry to Stone Island and rented lounge chairs on the beach.  I would say it is more of an authentic Mexican experience than going to a resort.  We were surrounded by many locals and really enjoyed being there.

In Puerto Vallarta again much more tourist activity.  It was impossible to buy a day pass at the Westin or the Marriott.  We ended up walking down the beach from the cruise port and rented chairs and an umbrella on the beach. Very relaxing day.  We saw whales breach in the bay from our chairs.  Beautiful, sunny day until about 4 when the marine layer moved in. We were about 15 minutes late dropping lines to leave due to two people thinking the departure time didn’t apply to them.  They received the traditional welcome from passengers on their balconies that usually accompany such latecomers.  Their taxi pulled up directly to the dock area.  If it were up to me, we would have dropped the lines on time and left them.  Seriously, 3598 passengers were able to get back to the ship on time!  There was a port representative standing at the gangway conferring with the crew so I think they were preparing to leave them.

We were thrilled to be invited to participate in the Princess 360 experience.  So unique and creative.  Our host made the experience even more enjoyable.  She was exuberant and engaging.  As someone commented tongue in cheek last night this may be why service is lacking in the dining room.  Each couple had their own attentive personal waiter.  I confess I don’t understand the algorithm used for the invitations.  I believe full suite guests are invited once per cruise.  We are in a mini-suite, not a full suite and we were seated next to a couple, also not in a full suite for whom this is their first Princess cruise.  20 people per seating with two seatings per night equals 280 people per 7 night cruise who get to attend.  This is only 7% of the total passengers onboard.  All I can say with certainty is that if you are invited, don’t pass up the opportunity!  

I have to admit though I am disappointed with the changes regarding food that have been implemented over the last year.  Because we are sailing full all the dining venues are open.  However, for the first time I’ve had little excitement in the food.  Of course we haven’t starved but this sailing feels like Royal Caribbean in that the same food is repeated daily and across different dining areas.  The exact same options are offered each day in the buffet at breakfast and lunch.  We have gone to the dining room 3 nights and we are not going tonight, the last night.  We have gone to the buffet twice, 360 and GiGi’s.  If we had not gone to the 360 experience we would have gone up to the buffet.  The dining room menu just is not appealing every night.  It’s not worth the commitment of time or the change of clothes required to attend.  Our last time in the dining room the maitre’d came to our table to ask how we were enjoying the food.  We (and the table next to us) told him how sorry we were that the fettuccine and shrimp cocktail were no longer offered each night.  He said they are available every night but not listed on the menu.  The French onion soup is also available every night.  He said they kept getting special requests from loyal Princess passengers that they make a small amount of each dish available every night.  It used to be that there were different desserts in the IC vs the buffet.  Not so anymore, the same unimaginative desserts…fruit tarts composed mainly of crust, gelatin/cream based rectangles of different flavors (some inexplicably labeled as cakes) and cookies.  It reminds me of when Disney rolled out the dining plan at their Florida parks.  Initially a great way to sample a variety of cuisines and flavors but eroded over time to the point where virtually the same meal is offered regardless of the restaurant.  Dessert is not offered on the room service menu anymore.  I have not called to ask if room service desserts are offered off menu.  Bottom line I miss pre-covid Princess and after this cruise I would be willing to pay more to return to that level of dining.  

Our fellow passengers are a very nice group of people…mostly over 50.  There are a handful of small children and teens. The ship feels full compared with my last three cruises sailing with limited numbers.  

We saw something on formal night that we have never seen ANY night on any cruiseline on which we’ve sailed.  A twenty something woman lined up for the dining room in flannel pajamas, slippers and a robe!  We couldn’t decide if she was making a statement or a rebellion.  She certainly got attention!  Having worked many years as volunteers with teenagers and young adults all it did for us was put a smile on our faces.

We have a wonderful cabin steward.  The staff continue to be the best part of Princess.  They work so hard.  Every staff member we pass offers a greeting.  

The internet is SO MUCH BETTER!!  We have even been able to livestream videos!  There have been a few times where it was slow.  My husband has been able to work briefly each day.  Of note though is that if the website one is trying to access has a high level of security you may not be able to access it.  The IT manager onboard said that because we shift satellites those websites think someone is trying to hack.  Much like trying to use an ATM in multiple countries without giving the bank advance knowledge of the countries being visited.  

About 10 days prior to sailing we received a complementary upgrade to a mini-suite from a deluxe balcony.  We are on the Marina deck mid-forward.  I would never choose this cabin.  It is very loud.  We hear the bass from MUTS even when the door is closed.  The on deck dance party the other night was VERY loud.  It went until 11:15.  We also hear people (children) running above us.  Fortunately my husband routinely wears earplugs to sleep and I can tune most noises out.  

Elite perks.  We’ve decided the only perks that we will use going forward are the mini-bar switch for soda and water and priority tendering. (We already had priority embarkation.)  In Cabo the priority tendering was a game changer!  We were numbers 17 and 18.  We boarded the tender within 5 minutes of receiving our tender tickets. When we returned back to the ship they were calling tender tickets numbers in the thousands!  If we ever take a longer cruise we would definitely use the laundry/dry cleaning.  The afternoon tea was nice but it’s so much food fairly close to dinner.  I don’t mind going up to the buffet and getting my own scones.  My husband enjoyed the sandwiches.  I prefer Diet Coke to herb tea.  

Food aside, we enjoy the Princess experience.  Having said that, we may be ready to spend more and try a premium line.  Additionally we have some big land trips planned for the next two years.  It’s the last day and we still have not decided whether or not to buy the FCD.  We have a few more hours to decide. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, californiagirl said:

I’ve made some comments on other threads but I have some observations that aren’t a tidy fit for those threads.

As I have mentioned in other threads this is my 4th cruise since the restart, second cruise with my husband since the restart and my first cruise as elite status. We have been on the Mexican Riviera for the week.  I did this exact cruise one year ago.  What a difference a year makes!  Tourism is fully back in these ports.  I suspect it has a lot to do with testing no longer being required to cruise and for people taking land trips testing no longer being required to re-enter the US.  In Cabo there were an exponential number of boats in the water taking tours compared with last February.  The port area was bustling.  Having been to Cabo several times before, we didn’t leave the port area.  We shopped and found an identical folding aluminum nativity scene to one I lost a few years ago.  I purchased it in Cabo in 2009.  We were in a store and I was lamenting to the clerk that I had not found one last year or this year.  She pulled one out from a shelf behind the counter!  She said the artist no longer lives in Cabo and she only has a few left and offers them for sale only at Christmas time.  I was thrilled and didn’t attempt to bargain with her.  She smiled and said she would give us a discount.  

In Mazatlan the number of people offering tours outside the secure port area is like years past.  We were in port with Disney Wonder and the area was packed.  I am very happy for the Mexican people.  The port area has hundreds of new cars waiting to be shipped.  There is more activity going on overall.  We took the ferry to Stone Island and rented lounge chairs on the beach.  I would say it is more of an authentic Mexican experience than going to a resort.  We were surrounded by many locals and really enjoyed being there.

In Puerto Vallarta again much more tourist activity.  It was impossible to buy a day pass at the Westin or the Marriott.  We ended up walking down the beach from the cruise port and rented chairs and an umbrella on the beach. Very relaxing day.  We saw whales breach in the bay from our chairs.  Beautiful, sunny day until about 4 when the marine layer moved in. We were about 15 minutes late dropping lines to leave due to two people thinking the departure time didn’t apply to them.  They received the traditional welcome from passengers on their balconies that usually accompany such latecomers.  Their taxi pulled up directly to the dock area.  If it were up to me, we would have dropped the lines on time and left them.  Seriously, 3598 passengers were able to get back to the ship on time!  There was a port representative standing at the gangway conferring with the crew so I think they were preparing to leave them.

We were thrilled to be invited to participate in the Princess 360 experience.  So unique and creative.  Our host made the experience even more enjoyable.  She was exuberant and engaging.  As someone commented tongue in cheek last night this may be why service is lacking in the dining room.  Each couple had their own attentive personal waiter.  I confess I don’t understand the algorithm used for the invitations.  I believe full suite guests are invited once per cruise.  We are in a mini-suite, not a full suite and we were seated next to a couple, also not in a full suite for whom this is their first Princess cruise.  20 people per seating with two seatings per night equals 280 people per 7 night cruise who get to attend.  This is only 7% of the total passengers onboard.  All I can say with certainty is that if you are invited, don’t pass up the opportunity!  

I have to admit though I am disappointed with the changes regarding food that have been implemented over the last year.  Because we are sailing full all the dining venues are open.  However, for the first time I’ve had little excitement in the food.  Of course we haven’t starved but this sailing feels like Royal Caribbean in that the same food is repeated daily and across different dining areas.  The exact same options are offered each day in the buffet at breakfast and lunch.  We have gone to the dining room 3 nights and we are not going tonight, the last night.  We have gone to the buffet twice, 360 and GiGi’s.  If we had not gone to the 360 experience we would have gone up to the buffet.  The dining room menu just is not appealing every night.  It’s not worth the commitment of time or the change of clothes required to attend.  Our last time in the dining room the maitre’d came to our table to ask how we were enjoying the food.  We (and the table next to us) told him how sorry we were that the fettuccine and shrimp cocktail were no longer offered each night.  He said they are available every night but not listed on the menu.  The French onion soup is also available every night.  He said they kept getting special requests from loyal Princess passengers that they make a small amount of each dish available every night.  It used to be that there were different desserts in the IC vs the buffet.  Not so anymore, the same unimaginative desserts…fruit tarts composed mainly of crust, gelatin/cream based rectangles of different flavors (some inexplicably labeled as cakes) and cookies.  It reminds me of when Disney rolled out the dining plan at their Florida parks.  Initially a great way to sample a variety of cuisines and flavors but eroded over time to the point where virtually the same meal is offered regardless of the restaurant.  Dessert is not offered on the room service menu anymore.  I have not called to ask if room service desserts are offered off menu.  Bottom line I miss pre-covid Princess and after this cruise I would be willing to pay more to return to that level of dining.  

Our fellow passengers are a very nice group of people…mostly over 50.  There are a handful of small children and teens. The ship feels full compared with my last three cruises sailing with limited numbers.  

We saw something on formal night that we have never seen ANY night on any cruiseline on which we’ve sailed.  A twenty something woman lined up for the dining room in flannel pajamas, slippers and a robe!  We couldn’t decide if she was making a statement or a rebellion.  She certainly got attention!  Having worked many years as volunteers with teenagers and young adults all it did for us was put a smile on our faces.

We have a wonderful cabin steward.  The staff continue to be the best part of Princess.  They work so hard.  Every staff member we pass offers a greeting.  

The internet is SO MUCH BETTER!!  We have even been able to livestream videos!  There have been a few times where it was slow.  My husband has been able to work briefly each day.  Of note though is that if the website one is trying to access has a high level of security you may not be able to access it.  The IT manager onboard said that because we shift satellites those websites think someone is trying to hack.  Much like trying to use an ATM in multiple countries without giving the bank advance knowledge of the countries being visited.  

About 10 days prior to sailing we received a complementary upgrade to a mini-suite from a deluxe balcony.  We are on the Marina deck mid-forward.  I would never choose this cabin.  It is very loud.  We hear the bass from MUTS even when the door is closed.  The on deck dance party the other night was VERY loud.  It went until 11:15.  We also hear people (children) running above us.  Fortunately my husband routinely wears earplugs to sleep and I can tune most noises out.  

Elite perks.  We’ve decided the only perks that we will use going forward are the mini-bar switch for soda and water and priority tendering. (We already had priority embarkation.)  In Cabo the priority tendering was a game changer!  We were numbers 17 and 18.  We boarded the tender within 5 minutes of receiving our tender tickets. When we returned back to the ship they were calling tender tickets numbers in the thousands!  If we ever take a longer cruise we would definitely use the laundry/dry cleaning.  The afternoon tea was nice but it’s so much food fairly close to dinner.  I don’t mind going up to the buffet and getting my own scones.  My husband enjoyed the sandwiches.  I prefer Diet Coke to herb tea.  

Food aside, we enjoy the Princess experience.  Having said that, we may be ready to spend more and try a premium line.  Additionally we have some big land trips planned for the next two years.  It’s the last day and we still have not decided whether or not to buy the FCD.  We have a few more hours to decide. 

Great review.  Thank you.

What caught my eye…..

Dessert is not offered on the room service menu anymore.  I have not called to ask if room service desserts are offered off menu.”

Really?  My DH will be upset.  Only place you can get old fashioned chocolate cake, without all the mousse stuff!  😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Great review.  Thank you.

What caught my eye…..

Dessert is not offered on the room service menu anymore.  I have not called to ask if room service desserts are offered off menu.”

Really?  My DH will be upset.  Only place you can get old fashioned chocolate cake, without all the mousse stuff!  😞

We just got off the Caribbean Princess.  The "Premium Desserts" was an absolute joke!  We only tried to get one once.  They were only offered at Coffee and Cones on Lido so between people trying to get their coffee and "normal" ice cream and mixed in with those wanting to try the new desserts the line was usually VERY long.  Once we got to the counter it became very obvious that the girl did not want to make the "DaVinci" dessert.  After watching her finally do so I know why!  Each one takes about 5 minutes to prepare...very labor intensive.  This completely tied up one person in a 3 person crew while they were doing a rather brisk business with the regular orders.  This isn't going to last!  They cannot justify the time spent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We just got off the Caribbean Princess.  The "Premium Desserts" was an absolute joke!  We only tried to get one once.  They were only offered at Coffee and Cones on Lido so between people trying to get their coffee and "normal" ice cream and mixed in with those wanting to try the new desserts the line was usually VERY long.  Once we got to the counter it became very obvious that the girl did not want to make the "DaVinci" dessert.  After watching her finally do so I know why!  Each one takes about 5 minutes to prepare...very labor intensive.  This completely tied up one person in a 3 person crew while they were doing a rather brisk business with the regular orders.  This isn't going to last!  They cannot justify the time spent.

Crazy!  We would never want those anyway.  I think it would be more popular with teens and kids. 

• Like 1

I am also on board , the little things for Elite have gone . Blue bags , no toiletaries … not a deal breaker .

We were told we had swopped Mini Bar for coffee card , not so charged for coffee the last 3 days . Again we can afford to buy coffee but Guest Services were little help , we are on board next week and they suggested we buy the non alcohol package at a rediculous price . 
Ports very nice , weather cooler than usual .

Gave up Dining Room after first night , 2 hours still waiting for desert so left .

Buffet OK if you like an Italian Bar and Indian bar lunch and dinner . Today they did have Sushi Bar.

I wondered what had changed since our last cruise on this beautiful ship last October … oh yes it was the Love Boat cruise extra staff and buffet was amazing .just observations feel lucky to be able to cruise .

• Like 1

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Crazy!  We would never want those anyway.  I think it would be more popular with teens and kids. 

In retrospect...you are absolutely correct!  It's definitely NOT an "adult" type dessert...but we didn't know that!  We only had a written description of what was offered when we ordered it.  As we were picking up the order we just happened to see a full color pic sheet of the two "special" desserts at the "tail-end" of the process lying on the counter...NOT where you order!  Had we seen that first we most likely would NOT have ordered.

37 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

In retrospect...you are absolutely correct!  It's definitely NOT an "adult" type dessert...but we didn't know that!  We only had a written description of what was offered when we ordered it.  As we were picking up the order we just happened to see a full color pic sheet of the two "special" desserts at the "tail-end" of the process lying on the counter...NOT where you order!  Had we seen that first we most likely would NOT have ordered.

Unless, you see a mini bottle of alcohol sticking out of it.  I saw some of those. That has to be an adult one! 😂😂

3 hours ago, milolii said:

Thanks for the review.  Question:

On our recent cruise, loud music was playing in the Concerto dinning room, even at breakfast.    I don’t recall that before. Has anyone else noticed that?  

Never experienced that...strange.

• Thanks 1

None of the dining rooms had loud music.  Could it have wafted in from the piazza?  Duchessrn as of today I could have purchased a coffee card.  15 coffees for $31.  Did they tell you that card was gone as of tomorrow?  I saw it available for purchase on Ocean Compass when I was looking for my final statement.

47 minutes ago, californiagirl said:

None of the dining rooms had loud music.  Could it have wafted in from the piazza?  Duchessrn as of today I could have purchased a coffee card.  15 coffees for $31.  Did they tell you that card was gone as of tomorrow?  I saw it available for purchase on Ocean Compass when I was looking for my final statement.

I am so confused every member of staff says something different , but the majority say Mini Bar can only be exchanged for soda or beer , Diet Soda is fine for us.

I will check Ocean Compass for next bit of B2B thank you .

Poor hubby no more deserts on room service he loved the chocolate cake.

I loved the coconut cake that Princess had for years.  I miss the gourmandis in the dining room.  Also gone are the soft pinwheel dinner rolls. Tonight my husband had the passion fruit cheesecake.  It was frozen in the middle.  I wonder if Princess has outsourced the buffet desserts and provisions them in a frozen state.  That would explain a lot about the lack of variety, also how they are cut so perfectly.  

I don’t think we will buy the soda package again.  I confirmed with a server tonight about the price of a fountain Diet Coke.  She showed me the price on her device.  $2.00 including tax and gratuity.  Canned soda and fountain were listed individually.  I haven’t had 7 1/2 sodas a day. The price I paid for the soda package makes me feel like repeatedly ordering one and pouring it down the drain just to feel like I got my money’s worth!  If not for the discussions on CC about the changes to the drink packages I would never have thought to ask the price per drink.

The buffet tonight was surprisingly good.  The prime rib and roast turkey were very good.  There was shrimp cocktail in the buffet as well.

We ended up buying the future cruise credits a few minutes ago.  We decided if we don’t use them the money will be refunded so a no loss situation.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, californiagirl said:

We ended up buying the future cruise credits a few minutes ago.  We decided if we don’t use them the money will be refunded so a no loss situation.

Wise investment.  Nothing lost if you don't use it.  Money (OBC) in the bank if you do.

And what is it with the Chocolate Cake from Room Service.  I didn't think that many people loved it as much as I did.  It should be the simplest thing to make, yet, really one of the hardest things to find anywhere...on or off a ship.

10 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Hi Rick and Jeannie,  I have read this exact same thing on other posts and reviews.   I’ve seen pictures as well, it doesn’t even look good.   It’s going to be a complete waste of money for Princess.   The picture I saw had 3 large suckers in it.    Who would eat that giant ice cream mess and then continue on with 3 different large suckers.    Honestly, I found it ridiculous and a waste of food.    

It’s terrible that Princess won’t give us a couple chocolates on our pillow, a bar of soap for the shower or those blue tote bags BUT…….they’ll make those ridiculous desserts with 3 suckers that will no doubt go straight to the trash can.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

I am so confused every member of staff says something different , but the majority say Mini Bar can only be exchanged for soda or beer , Diet Soda is fine for us.

I will check Ocean Compass for next bit of B2B thank you .

Poor hubby no more deserts on room service he loved the chocolate cake.

Not a bottle of wine?  

11 hours ago, tawlaw1526 said:

Hi Rick and Jeannie,  I have read this exact same thing on other posts and reviews.   I’ve seen pictures as well, it doesn’t even look good.   It’s going to be a complete waste of money for Princess.   The picture I saw had 3 large suckers in it.    Who would eat that giant ice cream mess and then continue on with 3 different large suckers.    Honestly, I found it ridiculous and a waste of food.    

It’s terrible that Princess won’t give us a couple chocolates on our pillow, a bar of soap for the shower or those blue tote bags BUT…….they’ll make those ridiculous desserts with 3 suckers that will no doubt go straight to the trash can.   

No consideration for Diabetics either.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, californiagirl said:

None of the dining rooms had loud music.  Could it have wafted in from the piazza? 

I thought about that.  You could hear it right outside the door of the dinning room but not in the Piazza.  It was recorded music of some type.  I inquired about it and a manager told me they turned it down.  But it didn’t seem to get quieter.  It was more like music you would hear at one of the bars or up on the pool deck.  

I don’t recall loud music before either.  Thanks.  

10 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Not a bottle of wine?  

We are currently on a B2B2B2B2B on the Discovery. We have exchanged our minibar for a bottle of wine twice and 10 Do Equis and 6 waters once I think. At any rate, we have a lot of beer, wine, and water and two cruises to go.

Edited by billco
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, billco said:

We are currently on a B2B2B2B2B on the Discovery. We have exchanged our minibar for a bottle of wine twice and 10 Do Equis and 6 waters once I think. At any rate, we have a lot of beer, wine, and water and two cruises to go.

Was it a $40 max value for the bottle of wine?

TIA

37 minutes ago, billco said:

Seems today on Discovery guests who just boarded weren’t able to switch items? I don’t get it.  Could it be a new person in RS?  I thought the cabin stewards do it now?

1 hour ago, KLM3164 said:

What is the price for the 360 experience?

360 is free--Looks like they have brought it out on the Discovery (we were invited) and the Enchanted. If/When they do put it out for general consumption it will be expensive IMHO