Not choosing Princess for next cruise…..

dandonna

14 hours ago, symui said:

Thanks for the report on Virgin.  Glad you liked it and that a new line is challenging the main stream cruise standards. 

Not sure about price though.   I checked a few times and for a regular balcony it was about 2X the cost.  

Also very limited itinerary's but hopefully that will change over time.  

Yes we thought that also, but remember the price includes the tips and port fees and they give everyone free internet which worked great on the lowest speed so I could facetime everyday.  Also all their restraunts are like specialty dinning with no extra cost.  The entertainment was top notch but you must book all your events once you get on the ship.  They also work drinks differently, they use a bar tab and you can buy a drink for anyone using your bar tab so no need to buy a drink package. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, spookyfudge said:

Yes we thought that also, but remember the price includes the tips and port fees and they give everyone free internet which worked great on the lowest speed so I could facetime everyday.  Also all their restraunts are like specialty dinning with no extra cost.  The entertainment was top notch but you must book all your events once you get on the ship.  They also work drinks differently, they use a bar tab and you can buy a drink for anyone using your bar tab so no need to buy a drink package. 

I can get up to 15 alcoholic drinks per day with PRINCESS PLUS - how much would those 15 drinks cost me on Virgin?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

I can get up to 15 alcoholic drinks per day with PRINCESS PLUS - how much would those 15 drinks cost me on Virgin?

The drinks I paid was between $5 and $14.  We did buy champagne.  So for our 8-day cruise I put $300 on my bar tab and they kicked in an extra $100.  I did not need to put money in the account for my passanger but it came out of my bar tab.  I bought a bottle for a group of four of us and on the last night we spent $115 for a bottle of champagne and had $3 dollarls left on my tab.  I had as much alchoal I wanted on this cruise.  So for $300 for two of us, vs $800 we would have spent on the "plus" package, (2X$50X8 days) we came ahead.  We also had unlimited deserts (considered specialty on Princess) and it included WIFI and all crew tips plus all specialty restraunts (included in price).  I think Princess would have bee a lot more for us since we maybe have 5-drinks a day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, spookyfudge said:

The drinks I paid was between $5 and $14.  We did buy champagne.  So for our 8-day cruise I put $300 on my bar tab and they kicked in an extra $100.  I did not need to put money in the account for my passanger but it came out of my bar tab.  I bought a bottle for a group of four of us and on the last night we spent $115 for a bottle of champagne and had $3 dollarls left on my tab.  I had as much alchoal I wanted on this cruise.  So for $300 for two of us, vs $800 we would have spent on the "plus" package, (2X$50X8 days) we came ahead.  We also had unlimited deserts (considered specialty on Princess) and it included WIFI and all crew tips plus all specialty restraunts (included in price).  I think Princess would have bee a lot more for us since we maybe have 5-drinks a day!

lightweight😉 ... so at $400 -115=$285 available for 2 people over 8 days = $17.81 per person per day for 'alcoholic drinks' - about 2 drinks per day each ... we call that 'breakfast' ...  but when the 'fare' includes wifi , grats, and 'specialty restaurants - gotsta do the maffs

Does Virgin charge for specialty coffees, teas, bottled water?  I need to at least start looking at some other lines ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

lightweight😉 ... so at $400 -115=$285 available for 2 people over 8 days = $17.81 per person per day for 'alcoholic drinks' - about 2 drinks per day each ... we call that 'breakfast' ...  but when the 'fare' includes wifi , grats, and 'specialty restaurants - gotsta do the maffs

Does Virgin charge for specialty coffees, teas, bottled water?  I need to at least start looking at some other lines ...

Best Roflmao GIFs | Gfycat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Yup I go on a cruise to enjoy the ship, shows and food not to get blind drunk! Good for you having 15 a day.

4 minutes ago, spookyfudge said:

%Yup I go on a cruise to enjoy the ship, shows and food not to get blind drunk! Good for you having 15 a day.

" I can get 'up to 15 '"

"UP TO 98% OFF"  ORDER NOW - (and we might give you 9.8% off)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spookyfudge said:

Wow we would not even get to dinner on 5 drinks a day. We generally run 10-12 even on port days

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2023 at 12:35 AM, caribill said:

On the Ruby Princess. Line on the left in first photo is for those with reservations. In the second photo is towards the end of the live with reservations.

DSC03274.JPG

DSC03272.JPG

We were on the Ruby 1/8-15 and then again 2/26-3/12 ( just got off this morning 🙂 ) and sadly, those pictures give an accurate depiction of dinner lines.  Our first week we did 5pm every night in Da Vinci but literally got in line about 4:35-4:40 just to be at the front of the line to get in and get started.  The last 2 weeks, we did Bottecelli for a change of scenery and I would never do it again as the waiting area for lining up is insane with so little space.  It was chaos beginning at 4:40 to get in for 5pm every night.  Dine My Way is nothing but stressful for passengers and crew alike.  According to the food services director, they don't love it either.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/9/2023 at 9:35 AM, caribill said:

The problem in general is that unless you are dining when the dining room first opens each evening, there is no way that Princess can be sure a table will be available at the time you have reserved.

People can complete a meal in different amounts of time, so the reservation you had for xx:xx PM may find no table available since people have not completed their meals.

Princess will not rush someone to finish eating because the table is needed for a reservation.

Exactly what was happening on the Ruby, so it's not working for anyone really!  Even the dining room managers are stressed and wishing they could return to the old system but as they said, corporate tells them what they are going to do.  😞. I didn't talk to a single long time Princess cruiser in 3 weeks time that thinks Dine My Way is working.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, texswamper said:

I can't believe they chose the Island for the World cruises either.  

If you are willing to fly to/from Australia for the beginning and ending of a World Cruise, you sail on the Coral Princess.  Lucky Aussies and Kiwis!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Regarding not choosing Princess…

We have 17 B2B cruises booked next winter on the Majestic. I haven’t done the math, but it’s probably $45-50K or so of cruises. We probably would never have done every one of them (over six months) but would probably have chosen at least four months worth. But, as I’ve mentioned here before, we can’t get the app or the website to work for us.

Several here on Cruise Critic have offered helpful suggestions why that might be, and when I phoned Princess about it over a month ago, I mentioned these possible causes. They took down my information and promised they’d get back with me. I’ve heard nothing.

Maybe it’s just me, but I refuse to spend that kind of money with a business that makes the experience so difficult. I remember when we’d book cruises and the excitement started. That’s been replaced with frustration. I know there are work around solutions, but I am not interested in relying on a good natured Restaurant Manager to get a table for two at our desire time (5pm…this shouldn’t be difficult). 

Last week I booked a two month cruise on Holland America for a year later. I think it says it all that I am more excited about that than any of the Princess cruises. And we have close to 150 cruises on Princess. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2023 at 12:32 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I hate do say it but the spa on any ship is just not relaxing to me … they always are trying to get you to spend more and more.  And yes, it is on every cruiseline.  They insist you fill out their form and then use it to sell you products you don’t need.  I’ve told them not to even try talking to me until my massage is over.  I just hate the hard upsell when I’m trying to relax.  Now, I just get all my spa services while out in port or before my cruise.  I’ve found some really amazing spots to get massages while in port and at much better prices, to be sure!  

I was on the Discovery last month and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't get the hard Elemis sales pitch. Instead, I received a recommendation card at the end of the service with a couple of items they thought I might be interested in. No push to buy anything, even an additional tip. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We have 17 B2B cruises booked next winter on the Majestic. I haven’t done the math, but it’s probably $45-50K or so of cruises. We probably would never have done every one of them (over six months) but would probably have chosen at least four months worth. But, as I’ve mentioned here before, we can’t get the app or the website to work for us.

Several here on Cruise Critic have offered helpful suggestions why that might be, and when I phoned Princess about it over a month ago, I mentioned these possible causes. They took down my information and promised they’d get back with me. I’ve heard nothing.

Maybe it’s just me, but I refuse to spend that kind of money with a business that makes the experience so difficult. I remember when we’d book cruises and the excitement started. That’s been replaced with frustration. I know there are work around solutions, but I am not interested in relying on a good natured Restaurant Manager to get a table for two at our desire time (5pm…this shouldn’t be difficult). 

Last week I booked a two month cruise on Holland America for a year later. I think it says it all that I am more excited about that than any of the Princess cruises. And we have close to 150 cruises on Princess. 

We’re booked on HAL Rotterdam for 2024 and Celebrity Beyond 2023 and Celebrity Ascent 2024 and two on Regal Princess in 2023.  Looking forward to all of them, but I understand what you’re saying.  I was lucky to get a wonderful CVP with Princess who literally stopped me from throwing in the towel with Princess forever.  She’s been wonderful to work with. However, the smoking policy on Princess will find us find us moving on after our Regal cruises, unless that policy changes.  Thank you for sharing your frustration with us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I know there are work around solutions, but I am not interested in relying on a good natured Restaurant Manager to get a table for two at our desire time (5pm…this shouldn’t be difficult). 

At that time there's no problem getting a fixed reservation. There were the same couples all around us each night at they usual locations.

I believe, but don't know for sure, that standing reservations during their busy time make it much more difficult. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tlc1972 said:

I was on the Discovery last month and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't get the hard Elemis sales pitch. Instead, I received a recommendation card at the end of the service with a couple of items they thought I might be interested in. No push to buy anything, even an additional tip. 

Love that .. maybe the word got out.  I may rejoin the spa in the future.  

6 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Disappointing

Seems

Again and

Again

😑

• Like 2

We were on the sailing right after yours.  We had never sailed with Princess so my expectations were different.  I had no problem with the age of the ship.  Yes, our bathroom needed regrouting.  Other than that, I didn’t see a problem.  It’s not a new ship and hasn’t been to dry dock in years.  So?  I stay in Hampton Inns on land.  This was nicer.

We are happy to dine in the MDR.  The longest line I saw was maybe 30-40 people and it cleared in 10 minutes or less.  I did see a short line for no reservations but I don’t know where those folks were seated.  We got a two top by a window every night.  Service each night was exceptional. Servers hustled.  I expected no less. Meals were incredible.  I have a dietary restriction.  Princess handled it with class.  I had a head waiter preparing my food personally.  He even made me salmon with his grandmothers recipe one night. I couldn’t have asked for more from the MDR.

Entertainment each night was at Crooners or Wheelhouse.  Good enough for me.  I thought Tommie McPhee was incredibly entertaining.  We may not cruise again for a while, but Princess left a good impression. Enjoy Celebrity.  I hope you find it to your liking.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, BamaVol said:

We were on the sailing right after yours.  We had never sailed with Princess so my expectations were different.  I had no problem with the age of the ship.  Yes, our bathroom needed regrouting.  Other than that, I didn’t see a problem.  It’s not a new ship and hasn’t been to dry dock in years.  So?  I stay in Hampton Inns on land.  This was nicer.

We are happy to dine in the MDR.  The longest line I saw was maybe 30-40 people and it cleared in 10 minutes or less.  I did see a short line for no reservations but I don’t know where those folks were seated.  We got a two top by a window every night.  Service each night was exceptional. Servers hustled.  I expected no less. Meals were incredible.  I have a dietary restriction.  Princess handled it with class.  I had a head waiter preparing my food personally.  He even made me salmon with his grandmothers recipe one night. I couldn’t have asked for more from the MDR.

Entertainment each night was at Crooners or Wheelhouse.  Good enough for me.  I thought Tommie McPhee was incredibly entertaining.  We may not cruise again for a while, but Princess left a good impression. Enjoy Celebrity.  I hope you find it to your liking.

Glad you had a good experience on the Caribbean Princess wish I could say the same. And thanks looking forward to trying 2 different cruise lines this May in Celebrity and MSC. Probably also trying the Enchanted Princess next year since it is a newer ship and fellow experienced cruisers have strongly recommended the newer ships over the older ones like Caribbean.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 10:52 AM, dandonna said:

Probably also trying the Enchanted Princess next year since it is a newer ship and fellow experienced cruisers have strongly recommended the newer ships over the older ones like Caribbean.

I think you'll be pleased as to what the Royal class ships have to offer compared to the Caribbean Princess. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 9:54 AM, voljeep said:

Haha, yes, agreed that I need way more than 2 drinks per day.  The good thing right now is that there are some really great booking deals, for example I booked my next VV sailing onboard my last (first) one, and I got $600 OBC and then another $200 OBC for booking through a TA.  My hubby and I weren't quite sure if $800 was going to be enough for drinks for the week (LOL) so we purchased a Bar Tab during a promo of "buy a Bar Tab for $300, get an extra $100 free" thing.  So at the end of the day, we'll have $1200 of OBC that will be used towards drinks (because we don't do ship excursions, and there's no upcharge for specialty dining, so drinks are really all we'll need to pay for) and only $300 came out of my pocket.  I like that math.

Specialty coffees are an extra charge, and there is no bottled water but rather filtered water dispensers throughout the ship and water is provided in your room (still and sparkling) whenever you want it.  VV doesn't do single use plastics at all, so you're encouraged to bring your own reusable bottle.  Drip coffee, tea, sodas, iced tea, and non-fresh squeezed juices are included for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1