Carnival, why do you even make rules?

On 3/7/2023 at 2:30 PM, crazy4themouse said:

They made it sound like Shaquille O'Neal himself was going to pop out of a lifeboat and kick anyone's ass who defied the rules. 

Shaq was doing basketball on TNT  that week otherwise he would have been there.

1 hour ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

Shaq was doing basketball on TNT  that week otherwise he would have been there.

I live in the same town as Shaq.  Next time I see him around the square, I'll mention he is needed more on the ships than TV.   (actually I feel like the only person without a "I ran into Shaq" story).

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2023 at 2:52 PM, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I am not too polite or too considerate.  I am afraid of the reaction of a person who would act like that in the first place.  I don't want to be screamed at or hit, and I don't want to upset those around me trying to enjoy their vacation.  

While I do not think it should fall under the purview of the crew to address this kind of behavior, having a well-trained and visible security force seems reasonable.... 

This!  I worked as a commercial litigation attorney for over a decade and have no problem with confrontation.  But the couple of times I have said something to people about rule breaking or being inconsiderate on a Carnival cruise (even really, really egregious things like am able-bodied person cutting in line in front of a paraplegic for the elevator), the ensuing scene (screaming and insults/threats) were embarrassing and even scary.  And other passengers and staff often don't know who is to blame or who started it so you end up looking like part of the problem.  People who don't follow the rules and behave badly in the first place do NOT react well to being called out on it.  I honestly thing that this is why more staff DON'T intervene with rule breakers. They don't want to be verbally abused or threatened or have a guest complain about them just for doing their job.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 3/13/2023 at 3:20 PM, icft said:

I can't claim to be an expert on the matter but I don't think "bless his heart" is meant to be used in an exercise of criticism in the usual sense.

Some people, through no fault of their own and with no malice or ill intent, have unfortunate characteristics. Around here "bless his heart" is used in recognizing that the person is good and means well but has such an unfortunate characteristic.

The best example I can think of at the moment was with my mother in law years ago. A family member had plans to open a restaurant. I recall my MIL saying something like "You know he's a disaster in the kitchen. He almost cut his fingers off a bunch of times and they've had food poisoning from his cooking more than a few times. He can't cook to save his life, bless his heart."

That's a good description of the term. It actually isn't an insult like so many people think.  I sometimes say instead "But for the Grace of God, there go I..." since so many people now think "Bless your heart" is an insult.  

13 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

That's a good description of the term. It actually isn't an insult like so many people think.  I sometimes say instead "But for the Grace of God, there go I..." since so many people now think "Bless your heart" is an insult.  

I think it depends on where it falls in a sentence. 

e.g.

"I want to rent one of those speed boats that the cruise ships hang on the sides."

"Oh, bless your heart, honey, those are lifeboats."

vs

"You did good work today at the shelter, made a lot of dogs happy.  Bless your heart!"

Or maybe it truly is a dual-edged phrase that depends on context.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

I love all the yankees trying to explain to me what "bless your heart" means in this thread.

Maybe that's a new thing...Yanksplaining instead of Mansplaining.  I know opinions differ as to whether Texas is part of the "south"...and I think most Texans are ok being considered just Texans rather than Southerners.  Either way, we aren't Yankees and do say "Bless your heart." 🤠

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Maybe that's a new thing...Yanksplaining instead of Mansplaining.  I know opinions differ as to whether Texas is part of the "south"...and I think most Texans are ok being considered just Texans rather than Southerners.  Either way, we aren't Yankees and do say "Bless your heart." 🤠

I promise you Eli, you Texans are your own unique breed!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think it depends on where it falls in a sentence. 

e.g.

"I want to rent one of those speed boats that the cruise ships hang on the sides."

"Oh, bless your heart, honey, those are lifeboats."

vs

"You did good work today at the shelter, made a lot of dogs happy.  Bless your heart!"

Or maybe it truly is a dual-edged phrase that depends on context.

When I ask for unsweet tea and then add in sweetener, I know what that , "Bless your heart" means.  

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I am Yankee.  I've lived in NC for 12 years.  I agree that it depends on the context.

We have a different word for yankees that moved down here and never left! 🤣

On 3/17/2023 at 11:04 AM, Eli_6 said:

"Yanksplaining." LOL, I'm stealing that. 🤣 

As a Native Texan (Dallas area) who relocated to Florida (because it's one of the few states Texans are willing to live in), I do identity as southern, but Texan first (always first) and Southern second. 

On 3/17/2023 at 12:00 PM, Elaine5715 said:

When I ask for unsweet tea and then add in sweetener, I know what that , "Bless your heart" means.  

If a Southerner asks for sweet tea and is handed a glass of unsweet tea with packets of sugar, the Southerner may not say it out loud but inside they are saying "bless your heart" and shaking their head in pity. A true Southerner knows that you should always add the sugar to tea when it's still hot from being brewed, before adding cold water. Otherwise it's just unsweet tea with a pile of undissolved sugar sitting in a pile in the bottom of the glass. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

"Yanksplaining." LOL, I'm stealing that. 🤣 

As a Native Texan (Dallas area) who relocated to Florida (because it's one of the few states Texans are willing to live in), I do identity as southern, but Texan first (always first) and Southern second. 

If a Southerner asks for sweet tea and is handed a glass of unsweet tea with packets of sugar, the Southerner may not say it out loud but inside they are saying "bless your heart" and shaking their head in pity. A true Southerner knows that you should always add the sugar to tea when it's still hot from being brewed, before adding cold water. Otherwise it's just unsweet tea with a pile of undissolved sugar sitting in a pile in the bottom of the glass. 

Same when a Yankee orders unsweet tea (or doesn't specify when "down South" and about sugar ODs.) and adds the fake stuff.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cacruisin said:

I live in San Diego, CA which is geographically very "south" but I don't think we are quite considered "Southerners" lol.....we certainly beat to our own drum in CA....

"If you're from California, you're not a yankee. You're not really anything." - Days of Thunder

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2023 at 3:35 PM, staceyglow said:

Just got back from a 5-day out of Miami.  There were plenty of the folks that people have used coded language to complain about and there were no problems at all.  No smell of weed, no fights, no unruly teens.  I have been on over 20 cruises with Carnival of all lengths, itineraries, and home ports, and have never seen many of the issues people claim happen on every Carnival cruise.

Same here.  I've been on about 15 or so Carnival cruises and I've only smelled weed on one of them and I've never witnessed a fight or unruly drunk person; and we tend to always go to the Caribbean and all but one of our cruises have been 5 days or longer.  

I think some people love to put down Carnival because it makes them feel "elite."  Also, just like with overpriced clothing and jewelry, some people think spending more money on a cruise with another line automatically means they are getting better quality.  It's about ego for some of them.  

Also, people tend to just go along with "narratives" (i.e. Carnival is the "Walmart" of cruising) so after hearing those narratives repeated enough some people come to accept them as fact.  

To each his/her own but I enjoy cruising with Carnival and I could afford to pay higher fares with  other lines.  It ain't about spending more money for me...it's about getting the best value for my money.  And for me, Carnival is the best value for my money.  We'll all different though!  

• Like 6