How are the Swans doing 2023

Hi mates

Mic pointed out that the pre-season has started so it's time for pre-season speculation. I say the Swans do better than last year, although I have my doubts about how effective Buddy will be.

What's the current thinking on favorites and any good rumors???

ML

• Like 3

I predict Buddy will be used sparingly and will be used as a distraction to free up other forwards.

As for the Swans, it is fairly certain that it is too early to predict, however I will go for making the finals.

At 36, Buddy is the oldest player in the league. Currently only contracted for this year.

He is still carrying a leg injury (as most of the last few seasons).  Expected to play the first game, Saturday night against Gold Coast.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 11:40 PM, Docker123 said:

At 36, Buddy is the oldest player in the league. Currently only contracted for this year.

He is still carrying a leg injury (as most of the last few seasons).  Expected to play the first game, Saturday night against Gold Coast.

Hi Docker

Nice to hear from you. i didn't know Buddy was the oldest player but I knew he had to be up there. He is always hurt these days. I'll have to see if the games will be shown here. 

I hope they can get some good play from him before he has to sit and rest again!

ML

Game day!

I think if the Swans hold steady this year and aim for top 4 and winning at least one final, that would be a very very good result indeed, given the heavy defeat in the grand final and the overall age profile of the squad.

Of course I would love us to win the lot but a lot of it will depend on the development of the kids. Some other teams - Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane - have traded well and improved their squad, and IMO deserve to be favourites ahead of us until proven otherwise.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Thanks for posting the scores. I am not quite in shape for the season--completely forgot about the game😲

Glad the Swans won, always best to start the new season with a win. Let's hope it means good things to come!

Go Swans!

ML

4 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Oh no. I hope this isn't yet another injury--Buddy's too old to have multiple issues. 😉

I think Mic meant that Buddy caused the bump to another player and may be in trouble because of that ML.

• Like 1

Pleasing opening game. Swans had a great starting quarter, Suns lucky to pick up a couple of cheap late goals.  They also came hard in the start of the second quarter. Swans held strong though and adapted better to the humid, slippery conditions - a bit weird considering the Suns were the home team and would presumably be used to the conditions. A fantastic third quarter before taking the foot off the accelerator in the last quarter and coasting to a solid win.

I'm happy with that considering the Suns have been something of a bogey team for us over the last few years.  Good start to the season. Bud will probably get a week or two for that clumsy bump.  Whatever. I had him pencilled in to miss 5-6 games in his last season anyway.

It's interesting that a couple of the heavy favourites for this year - Geelong and Brisbane - had first round losses.  I expect them to still be up there at the end anyway.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, the bump means he used his body to bump an opposing player out 9f the way. His shoulder made contact with the other's head, there may be a suspension or fine if deemed deliberate or dangerous.

Correct. Head injury is a hot topic with all codes ATM. Judiciary may get serious this season but remains to be seen how serious they are about getting serious.🤪

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Correct. Head injury is a hot topic with all codes ATM. Judiciary may get serious this season but remains to be seen how serious they are about getting serious.🤪

I think the AFL will have to be very serious about it as there are too many explayers coming forward with stories of their brain injuries. Both my grandsons had concussion last season and had to miss two games because of their league rules on knocks to the head. Both now wear helmets which will help but not completely protect the head.

• Like 2

Franklin has a history of high tackles, bumps, elbows.  Often getting off, somehow. 

The current situation makes it more challenging as there has been a class action lodged against the AFL due to concussions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

I think Mic meant that Buddy caused the bump to another player and may be in trouble because of that ML.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, the bump means he used his body to bump an opposing player out 9f the way. His shoulder made contact with the other's head, there may be a suspension or fine if deemed deliberate or dangerous.

Oooh, that kind of bump 😆 Silly me, I'm still learning all the tech speak of AFL!

I'm sure it was  a totally innocent, accidental touch, nothing deliberate 😇

How long before we know how it is ruled?

Thanks for clarifying.

ML

1 minute ago, NoWhiners said:

Oooh, that kind of bump 😆 Silly me, I'm still learning all the tech speak of AFL!

I'm sure it was  a totally innocent, accidental touch, nothing deliberate 😇

How long before we know how it is ruled?

Thanks for clarifying.

ML

😂🤪 Yep, I'm sure it is ML! Probably today some time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I think the AFL will have to be very serious about it as there are too many explayers coming forward with stories of their brain injuries. Both my grandsons had concussion last season and had to miss two games because of their league rules on knocks to the head. Both now wear helmets which will help but not completely protect the head.

56 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Franklin has a history of high tackles, bumps, elbows.  Often getting off, somehow. 

The current situation makes it more challenging as there has been a class action lodged against the AFL due to concussions. 

This is a hot topic here in the US in all sports, especially football. Lots of new rules about players having to come out of games and get checked by an independent (i.e., not team paid) doctor. It is so serious that many parents won't let their sons play football, which is seen as threat to the future of the game here. Even in Texas, where they have a long tradition of serious high school football. Several US pro players have donated their brains to labs after they die, to be checked for CTE (concussions). They are finding some links too.

Having recently had brain surgery for a spontaneous hematoma, I can relate to how serious this is. I can't imagine having a concussion. Or even more than one, like many NFL and AFL players get. Very Scary.

• Like 1