Princess does away with the independent New Grounds Coffee package.

robertdeese

Sad but true but if you didn’t purchase your New Grounds Coffee Package (roughly $35.00 us for 15 any type of coffees) before FEBRUARY 19, 2023, you are out of luck and must purchase individual specialty coffees on board or buy the non alcohol package for around $35.00 per day per person. Not happy about that. No heads up that we could find.

2 minutes ago, J1JPE said:

Is this true?

hi, we're on Sky in April, do you know, pls cud u chk if they sell the new Ground Coffee card / package on the ship - am told they do on the first day ...?

There are other streams about this topic going back a few weeks. Coffee card program is gone, no longer available.  Ended Feb 20. Even people that prepurchased are getting refunded. It was removed as a pre-purchase option even earlier.

4 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Another reason to abandon Princess for other cruise lines.

The other lines are making similar changes. In most cases the competitions prices are higher for similar items. Princess is doing exactly the same as the other lines.

Once you add the tax to the zero alcohol package, you are better off getting the Plus Package.  
Unless you drink very few bottled waters, sodas, an occasional glass of wine, the specialty coffees (with tax) are about $4, you might be better off just buying as you go.  
If 15 specialty coffees used to be $35, it is only $25 more now. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ldtr said:

The other lines are making similar changes. In most cases the competitions prices are higher for similar items. Princess is doing exactly the same as the other lines.

Princess is most often compared here to Celebrity.  Here are the Drink Packages and prices for X.

Classic Package

Enjoy the drink you want, when you want it, morning, noon, and night, with a fantastic array of liquors, wines for any palate, beers from light and crisp to dark and robust, plus alcoholic drinks up to $10. Wines by the bottle are discounted by 15%.   $89 per person per day*

Premium Package
This versatile drinks package lets you start your morning with fresh squeezed orange juice and a premium coffee, enjoy a frozen cocktail by the pool, and then a glass of wine with dinner. Enjoy all the spirits listed in our Classic Package, plus drinks up to $17. Wines by the bottle are discounted by 20%.
 $109 per person per day*

Zero Proof Package
Refresh with premium bottled water from Evian, Perrier, San Pellegrino, & Panna. Specialty Coffees & Organic Teas, Red Bull Energy Drink, Frozen Smoothies, Zero Proof Cocktails, Coca-Cola selections, offerings from Vitamin Water, Aqua Spa Fresh Juice, and Bottled Iced Teas. 

$30 per person per day

* A 20% service charge will be added to Classic, Premium, and Zero Proof Package prices at checkout.

Go ahead and jump ship if you wish.  The water won't be bluer on the other side of the railing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Once you add the tax to the zero alcohol package, you are better off getting the Plus Package.  
Unless you drink very few bottled waters, sodas, an occasional glass of wine, the specialty coffees (with tax) are about $4, you might be better off just buying as you go.  
If 15 specialty coffees used to be $35, it is only $25 more now. 

It is definitely the case that one must do the math.  The $35 card was for the entire cruise, not per day.  And if you were a heavy coffee drinker, maybe you went through two cards during a 7 day cruise.  That came to $70.  The Plus Package may be "only" $25 more, but that is PER DAY.  Instead of two coffee cards that provided 30 coffee drinks over the course of 7 days (more than 4 per day) at a price of $70, going with the Plus Package will cost you $420.  $112-$126 of that is eaten up by Crew Appreciation, and $52.50-$105 is eaten up by WiFi.  Assuming that someone is in an Interior or Balcony, and isn't P/E, that comes to $217.  That leaves $203 for beverages, divided over 7 days = $29 per day.  If you go back to the premise that someone is going to have 4 coffees a day, they would spend $16 per day out of pocket versus $29 for the Package.  So Plus only works if the person is going to also consume $13 per day in non-coffee beverages.  Since we are analyzing the Zero Proof Package, we can assume that the hypothetical cruiser does not drink alcohol.  So spending an additional $13 per day on non-alcoholic beverages is certainly not a sure thing.  For some it will work.  For others it won't. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

The other lines did not have a mini bar that could be traded in for 2 coffee packages.  Now Princess does not either. Princess used to have a Loyalty Program that meant something but not now. Yes there is more than one reason to switch to another line including not missing what was never experienced, We have no reason to buy the Plus packages.. They seem to think all passengers want to drink liquor and eat high sugar deserts to enjoy a cruise. Many do but many also do not and paying an extra 60 a day is not going to happen. for us. Each to their own. Continue to support these changes and do not be suprised when they go up and up and up. We set out limit and Princess has exceeded it for the time being.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Potstech said:

The other lines did not have a mini bar that could be traded in for 2 coffee packages.  Now Princess does not either. Princess used to have a Loyalty Program that meant something but not now. Yes there is more than one reason to switch to another line including not missing what was never experienced, We have no reason to buy the Plus packages.. They seem to think all passengers want to drink liquor and eat high sugar deserts to enjoy a cruise. Many do but many also do not and paying an extra 60 a day is not going to happen. for us. Each to their own. Continue to support these changes and do not be suprised when they go up and up and up. We set out limit and Princess has exceeded it for the time being.

And there was no new revenue being generated in this dinosaur of a program.

There were probably more than a few paying base fare, removing tips and swapping out minibar for coffee cards.  This isn't profitable.

The Princess model has always been trying to get you to purchase items onboard, i.e., art sales, Effy, Bingo, etc.  Taking away the coffee package, including the swap out, makes sense if you are a business owner (Princess).  

Loyalty programs can change, especially with a business which was 'closed' for 1.5 years, and then rolled out ships one by one with minimal occupancy.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

And there was no new revenue being generated in this dinosaur of a program.

There were probably more than a few paying base fare, removing tips and swapping out minibar for coffee cards.  This isn't profitable.

The Princess model has always been trying to get you to purchase items onboard, i.e., art sales, Effy, Bingo, etc.  Taking away the coffee package, including the swap out, makes sense if you are a business owner (Princess).  

Loyalty programs can change, especially with a business which was 'closed' for 1.5 years, and then rolled out ships one by one with minimal occupancy.

I agree with what you say about the coffee card swap not being profitable for Princess. If they can sell people a package with a per person, per day cost. That's certainly more profitable!

But I'm not sure why you would throw in the part about people paying base fare and removing tips. What do you base that on? We pay base far, and we've never removed tips. Never will either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

The $35 card was for the entire cruise, not per day.  And if you were a heavy coffee drinker, maybe you went through two cards during a 7 day cruise.  That came to $70.  The Plus Package may be "only" $25 more, but that is PER DAY.  

I agree that the plus package works for some and not for others  .. but in terms of the coffee card (which no longer exists), I was referring to the coffee purchased separately is only $25 more for 15 coffees…not per day!  Some might cancel a cruise over that $25 more for 15 coffees, I certainly wouldn’t.  But then again, I find great value in the plus and premier packages.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Potstech said:

The other lines did not have a mini bar that could be traded in for 2 coffee packages. 

I tried to get this question answered on my most recent cruise on the Royal Princess at the very end of February .. I asked 3 different room stewards to make sure I got the same answers.  All three stated that you were still able to swap out your mini bar for a two digital coffee cards.  
I can’t sweet to it this will happen but that was what I was told.  

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

It is definitely the case that one must do the math.  The $35 card was for the entire cruise, not per day.  And if you were a heavy coffee drinker, maybe you went through two cards during a 7 day cruise.  That came to $70.  The Plus Package may be "only" $25 more, but that is PER DAY.  Instead of two coffee cards that provided 30 coffee drinks over the course of 7 days (more than 4 per day) at a price of $70, going with the Plus Package will cost you $420.  $112-$126 of that is eaten up by Crew Appreciation, and $52.50-$105 is eaten up by WiFi.  Assuming that someone is in an Interior or Balcony, and isn't P/E, that comes to $217.  That leaves $203 for beverages, divided over 7 days = $29 per day.  If you go back to the premise that someone is going to have 4 coffees a day, they would spend $16 per day out of pocket versus $29 for the Package.  So Plus only works if the person is going to also consume $13 per day in non-coffee beverages.  Since we are analyzing the Zero Proof Package, we can assume that the hypothetical cruiser does not drink alcohol.  So spending an additional $13 per day on non-alcoholic beverages is certainly not a sure thing.  For some it will work.  For others it won't. 

So true. I'm a very heavy coffee / tea drinker. Lg pot coffee in morning + full cup (12 oz) with each meal + lg pot tea mid afternoon (that would be 2 of the IC pots). But not even i can drink more than $8 a day, less if I have elite tea on my balcony. And I have been frustrated by their wifi so I just skip it .... love unplugging actually 

20 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

My math tells me that 15 cups of pretty much any kind of coffee was $35.00, one shot deal. Figure that for a 7 day cruise at 2 a day, not bad. Now it’s about 35.00 per day or 200.00 + for the 7 day cruise. Not thinking their will be a whole lot of takers, but an ingenious way to force the passengers into an A La carte mode for their favorite coffees.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, robertdeese said:

My math tells me that 15 cups of pretty much any kind of coffee was $35.00, one shot deal. Figure that for a 7 day cruise at 2 a day, not bad. Now it’s about 35.00 per day or 200.00 + for the 7 day cruise. Not thinking their will be a whole lot of takers, but an ingenious way to force the passengers into an A La carte mode for their favorite coffees.

It certainly makes no financial sense for a two-cups-a-day drinker. Especially one who just drinks regular coffee and not the more elaborate concoctions. 

19 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I tried to get this question answered on my most recent cruise on the Royal Princess at the very end of February .. I asked 3 different room stewards to make sure I got the same answers.  All three stated that you were still able to swap out your mini bar for a two digital coffee cards.  
I can’t sweet to it this will happen but that was what I was told.  

The amazing part of this is that you got the same answer from three different Princess employees. Good for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We’re on the Ruby out of SF for a 10-day Alaska cruise in May.  I had purchased two New Ground Coffee cards when booking last year.  My cruise personalizer still shows it’s purchased.  I loved this option—I always got a triple shot cappuccino per ‘card punch.’

Plan B is now to carry freeze-dried coffee and lattes that just need boiling water (or my French coffee press?) along with hubby’s 12 pack of Coke Zero!  Nice that SF is our home port and we don’t have to worry about luggage!

Edited by disneyochem
Spelling

2 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

We’re on the Ruby out of SF for a 10-day Alaska cruise in May.  I had purchased two New Ground Coffee cards when booking last year.  My cruise personalizer still shows it’s purchased.  I loved this option—I always got a triple shot cappuccino per ‘card punch.’

Plan B is now to carry freeze-dried coffee and lattes that just need boiling water (or my French coffee press?) along with hubby’s 12 pack of Coke Zero!  Nice that SF is our home port and we don’t have to worry about luggage!

I was going to do that but then I realized a large cup of coffee + 2 pots of tea is $8.  Fortunately I can afford an extra $8 a day. Plus I like frequenting local coffee & tea houses on port days

• Like 1

Find a local roaster in your community you like.   Someone who carries beans from the port you like most, (in my case it’s Brazil; the Brazil Cerrado or Brazil Santos beans are exquisite. Chocolaty, nutty, very consistent. But you will decide for yourself your household’s favorite bean once you know a local roaster).  

Avoid “blends”.  Blends are a way for coffee retailer to pour 6 different beans into a silo and not have any source accountability.  That means it will taste different every time you brew it.  Avoid coffees with cute names that are meaningless, Like New York Bold or Christmas Celebration, rather than just tell you where it came from.  

The local roaster will sell you coffee by whatever measurement you like that was roasted THAT WEEK, in some cases THAT DAY.   And this is the secret to the highest quality coffee you can buy week after week.   You’re going to pay $16.00 a pound instead of a $9.00 pound of Star-yuck.   But that’s ok because you’re posting in this thread, so you’ve already demonstrated that the quality is worth the extra 6 or 7 dollars to you.  

Now that you have a local roaster, you will likely want to just keep it whole bean until you are ready tonuse it.   But you want this same unsurpassed quality on a cruise.   Ask them to grind for you 2 pounds for French Press.   That’s the coarsest grind possible.  

Then bring one of these.   A french press, or cafetiere is the coffee you had that time in Rome in the cafe and decided the world would be a wonderul place if your coffee always tasted like this.  

No electricity in the stateroom is required.  Just bring a pot full of hot water from the dispenser in the butfet.   Then drop 2 tablespoons of grounds for every cup you intend to make into the cafetierre (you can usually find one up to 12 cups like the one pictured). Fill the hot water.    Let it steep a minute or two.  Press the grounds down.  

When the coffee is gone, throw the grounds into the garbage.  

You will never be the slightest bit curious about what special package the cruise line is offering ever again.  

A43BFAEF-A908-47A9-B06D-C97186A1C9CA.jpeg

Edited by CapnCrews
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Princess is most often compared here to Celebrity.  Here are the Drink Packages and prices for X.

Classic Package

Enjoy the drink you want, when you want it, morning, noon, and night, with a fantastic array of liquors, wines for any palate, beers from light and crisp to dark and robust, plus alcoholic drinks up to $10. Wines by the bottle are discounted by 15%.   $89 per person per day*

Premium Package
This versatile drinks package lets you start your morning with fresh squeezed orange juice and a premium coffee, enjoy a frozen cocktail by the pool, and then a glass of wine with dinner. Enjoy all the spirits listed in our Classic Package, plus drinks up to $17. Wines by the bottle are discounted by 20%.
 $109 per person per day*

Zero Proof Package
Refresh with premium bottled water from Evian, Perrier, San Pellegrino, & Panna. Specialty Coffees & Organic Teas, Red Bull Energy Drink, Frozen Smoothies, Zero Proof Cocktails, Coca-Cola selections, offerings from Vitamin Water, Aqua Spa Fresh Juice, and Bottled Iced Teas. 

$30 per person per day

* A 20% service charge will be added to Classic, Premium, and Zero Proof Package prices at checkout.

Go ahead and jump ship if you wish.  The water won't be bluer on the other side of the railing. 

At least the Zero Proof is at a better price point than PCL's Zero Alcohol.  But the other prices would have me drunk 24/7 trying to get value.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robertdeese said:

My math tells me that 15 cups of pretty much any kind of coffee was $35.00, one shot deal. Figure that for a 7 day cruise at 2 a day, not bad. Now it’s about 35.00 per day or 200.00 + for the 7 day cruise.

You are ignoring the “pay as you go” option which will cost about $8 per day.  Just don’t buy any package.

• Like 5