What does Oceania consider "premium economy"?

Lance&Jen

We paid for an upgrade to "Premium Economy" for flights on our air inclusive Oceania cruise. What do the Premium Economy seats look like on international flights? Are they just extra leg room? Or are they larger seats with a foot rest and perhaps included cocktails? Is one bag each included? We are trying to figure out if choosing the premium economy upgrade was worth it. Thank you.

On our AC  flight from LHR they were  larger seats  in the PE section of the plane with meals & drinks  etc

I think  there was a free checked bag    it was 2019  so  long ago

Depends on the airline I guess  & the configuration of the plane

1 minute ago, Lance&Jen said:

We paid for an upgrade to "Premium Economy" for flights on our air inclusive Oceania cruise. What do the Premium Economy seats look like on international flights? Are they just extra leg room? Or are they larger seats with a foot rest and perhaps included cocktails? Is one bag each included? We are trying to figure out if choosing the premium economy upgrade was worth it. Thank you.

Depends on the airline and the aircraft. The terminology can be tricky too. Premium Economy or Premium Plus or Whatever, it can range from extra legroom only to a somewhat larger/non-lay flat seat with a better meal and free booze. Add to that, the probability that, if you have a US domestic leg in your itinerary, the “Premium Economy” will be only for the long haul intercontinental flight.

Whatever the seat types are, if you’re doing a 12-15 hr long haul (we just did SFO-SYD 15 hrs +), anything but “lay flats” (e.g., United Polaris) is asking for a very uncomfortable experience. Even shorter long hauls to Europe from California (we often do SFO-FRA then local connects) scream out for lay flat seats.

And, if you do opt for bizclass, do not use O air. Their bizclass quotes look good until you realize you don’t get credit for the coach tix purchased in the “with air” cruise fare required to get that bizclass quote. You end up paying for two tix per person! In addition, if you want specific non-stops on a preferred carrier, you’ll also be looking at possible deviation fees and fare differentials - particularly on non-contract airlines.

My advice: take the air credit and DIY.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lance&Jen said:

We are trying to figure out if choosing the premium economy upgrade was worth it. Thank you.

Have a read of the 2022 Skytrax World Airlines Awards.

They list their best PE, as well as a separate category  their best PE seats.

Then head to seatguru and also your airline website, select aircraft type AND model, and compare to what you have selected.

This should give you some basic idea as to  your selected flight adds up compared to what else may be out there.

Another vote for SeatGuru.com.  They have all the airlines and all models flown, with all of the various configurations.  They also have color coded seats based on traveler feedback - red means "avoid", yellow means "caution/be careful", and green means a good location. They provide all seat descriptions, measurements, etc for all locations.  They do not provide the airline benefits; for that you have to check the respective airline site.

• Like 2

You will not know the flight details  until  after  final payment  so it is hard to check the airline you will be on

Maybe look at DIY  or pay the deviation  fee & select  the carrier

AFAIK  they  usually use European carriers  like  KLM /LH /AF/BA

so the PE  seating is not like the  US carriers

JMO

SeatGuru used to be a great site.  It doesn't seem to have been updated in several years, though, and has some pretty stale data.  Another similar site which is more current is aerolopa.com

Premium economy for international seems to have largely settled into slightly wider seats and better food in addition to more recline and legroom.  Many airlines also have and sell economy seats with more legroom, but I haven't seem them dubbed PE lately.  

Flight legs within the US or Europe would likely be in standard economy.  You should have at least one checked bag per person baggage allowance regardless of the ticket.  Do be aware that some international airlines are a stricter on size/weight for carry-ons than domestic US. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, curmudgeon98 said:

SeatGuru used to be a great site.  It doesn't seem to have been updated in several years, though, and has some pretty stale data.  Another similar site which is more current is aerolopa.com

Thank you. The site looks great.

• Like 1

Having flown every. class there is from SEA to all over the world, the best example of what Premium Economy is on a long haul is that your seat will/should (on most carriers) look like a First Class seat on a domestic flight. You know, the ones you walk by when you are headed to the back of the plane. 

The biggest ripoff in flying is buying Business class within Europe. In so many cases, European airlines will fly you in a wonderful lie-flat seat for your transatlantic flight and then when you fly a short flight beyond your crossing, you are in a regular economy three-in-a-row economy seat with the middle seat blocked off. It's not at all like US First Class. It's a pretty big shock when you are expecting something great and wind up with the same legroom as you get in the back of the plane in the USA with a blocked off middle seat that has a table over the seat so it can't be used...even by you to lie down (if no one was in the third seat). 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Having flown every. class there is from SEA to all over the world, the best example of what Premium Economy is on a long haul is that your seat will/should (on most carriers) look like a First Class seat on a domestic flight. You know, the ones you walk by when you are headed to the back of the plane. 

The biggest ripoff in flying is buying Business class within Europe. In so many cases, European airlines will fly you in a wonderful lie-flat seat for your transatlantic flight and then when you fly a short flight beyond your crossing, you are in a regular economy three-in-a-row economy seat with the middle seat blocked off. It's not at all like US First Class. It's a pretty big shock when you are expecting something great and wind up with the same legroom as you get in the back of the plane in the USA with a blocked off middle seat that has a table over the seat so it can't be used...even by you to lie down (if no one was in the third seat). 

The blocked middle seat is a usual practice of Lufthansa. However, we can usually live with those short internal Europe “non-United bizclass” connections because you still get lounge access and Lufthansa often has flash sales on those segments. However, I’ve found that it’s better to call United to book those combos since their online pricing may not always reflect the Lufthansa flash sale on the connecting flights. That has saved us “beaucoup bucks” on more than one occasion.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:59 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

My advice: take the air credit and DIY.

If you “DIY”, be sure to have good travel insurance in case your flight(s) are delayed, causing you to miss the cruise, or vice-versa…

5 hours ago, bob brown said:

If you “DIY”, be sure to have good travel insurance in case your flight(s) are delayed, causing you to miss the cruise, or vice-versa…

You should have good travel  insurance  anyway

There is no guarantee if using O air that your flights will not be delayed

O cannot get  you on a flight  with no seats available should you miss the connection etc...

• Like 2

Premium economy upgrade with O is usually an excellent deal. Business - not so much. Each time we asked a quote for business it was significantly more expensive than the market prices.

With the current crazy prices, not everyone can afford business, but premium economy still offers significant improvement compared to economy. Well worth the extra $400-500.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Premium economy upgrade with O is usually an excellent deal. Business - not so much. Each time we asked a quote for business it was significantly more expensive than the market prices.

With the current crazy prices, not everyone can afford business, but premium economy still offers significant improvement compared to economy. Well worth the extra $400-500.

Agreed, and now that O doesn't charge for a variation to fly in three days before and after the cruise it makes using their air arrangements much more attractive.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I just checked few random itineraries to Europe, and they show $499 for premium economy upgrade. Is it per direction or total?

per direction  usually only on the over water portion

Like YYZ to AMS  but not on AMS to FCO   portion just an example

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

per direction  usually only on the over water portion

Like YYZ to AMS  but not on AMS to FCO   portion just an example

Yes, I understand it's only for TA flights.. but $499 per direction makes it really not attractive. I remember it used to be $199-249..

29 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Yes, I understand it's only for TA flights.. but $499 per direction makes it really not attractive. I remember it used to be $199-249..

YUP

But then booking your own PE these days  is bad also

You are between a rock & a hard place flying now😃

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

YUP

But then booking your own PE these days  is bad also

You are between a rock & a hard place flying now😃

Very true.

We usually book with Aeroplan points, but I really feel for people who have to pay cash. Business to Europe is over $5-6k CAD those days.

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

Very true.

We usually book with Aeroplan points, but I really feel for people who have to pay cash. Business to Europe is over $5-6k CAD those days.

I barely have enough points  for  a bottle of wine  LOL

Yes I priced out BIZ for  a Europe cruise     I could  do a Caribbean cruise for 2  for the price of seats 😉

51 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

They run specials on select sailings, the $199 is per direction when they are included as a special option.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:18 PM, LHT28 said:

You will not know the flight details  until  after  final payment  so it is hard to check the airline you will be on

Maybe look at DIY  or pay the deviation  fee & select  the carrier

AFAIK  they  usually use European carriers  like  KLM /LH /AF/BA

so the PE  seating is not like the  US carriers

JMO

New to Oceania with a related question. In others’ experiences, has waiting for flight details until after final payment gotten in the way of getting seat assignments next to your travel partner?

Thanks.

Flying PE on Delta to AMS. 

As mentioned, the seat is like the old Business Class seat with thicker cushion, foot rest, and a leg lift.  The T.V. screens are larger.  The tray comes out of the arm rest.  The food is suppose to be upgraded from the regular economy, but I have read negatives about the food.  Free drinks, as well!  We get two free checked bags per person, and one free carry-on per person, plus one personal bag per person.