YC inside cabins

Linda W.

23 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

I am finding YCI hard to find, can't believe they are sold out on some cruises I think they hold them back as you get them appearing later(might be cancelled or upgrade)

Never thought to ask on our last one.

Yacht Club inside cabins sell out very quickly.  It seems as though (from posts above) that people attempt to take advantage of a cool little "loophole" and play the odds of getting an upgrade to a balcony cabin after boarding.

You are exactly correct about YCI's reappearing later.  We booked our first YC cruise in an inside and bid on an upgrade and were accepted.  We did not know about the possibility of upgrading after boarding.

Edited by Beaver1975
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 10:44 PM, rikitikitavii said:

We were in YC inside on Meraviglia in January, I would say that the cabin is not any bigger than other inside cabins....

That is correct, but on the new Seaxxxxx ships the cabin is definitely larger although the bathroom is the same tight squeeze. What we do is ask for the free standing table to be removed. Any chair or other items on the floor area we move beside the wardrobe at bedtime, so there are no obstacles for any toilet visits in the night.

It all works fine, but I'd say if you are over 6 feet and heavier than 16 stone the shower will be extremely difficult to use.

3 hours ago, Missymssy said:

One more question. I've searched MSC site, but don't see any breakdown of the YC cabins. Are there some amenities that aren't included with interior cabins, but are with balcony or suite?

No - you get the full YC benefits.  The YC  crew treat you the same, regardless of which cabin category you’re in. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Missymssy said:

One more question. I've searched MSC site, but don't see any breakdown of the YC cabins. Are there some amenities that aren't included with interior cabins, but are with balcony or suite?

The only extras that are not included in the interior Yacht Club cabin is more cabin space, and a balcony... :)

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2023 at 2:33 PM, Missymssy said:

For those of you that ask about upgrading to a balcony once on board, do you get and ignore email to bid for an upgrade?

I will bid if it is a reasonable price...but won't bid too much...

2 hours ago, smiles998 said:

The only extras that are not included in the interior Yacht Club cabin is more cabin space, and a balcony... 🙂

You forgot to mention that lots more pennies are also not included with a YIN. 😉

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 2:22 PM, joebehr2011 said:

I have had better luck with the YC Director thank the concierge. The times I have tried the concierge I got nothing but the run around. I learned my lesson, go straight to the top! I think a few of the concierges look down upon those who book interior cabins, at least that is my experience. 

How does one find the YC director?  I wonder if the upgrade price is different for a 4 night cruise. I'm taking my mom on her first MSC YC experience in June.  We booked an interior and I'm fine with it and she is too, but the extra space of a balcony room is always appreciated.

On 3/22/2023 at 2:33 PM, Missymssy said:

For those of you that ask about upgrading to a balcony once on board, do you get and ignore email to bid for an upgrade?

I get and ignore because the minimum bid is usually more than upgrading outright via my TA.  I've never found any value in the bidding process.  Maybe I'm the exception rather than the norm.

32 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I get and ignore because the minimum bid is usually more than upgrading outright via my TA.  I've never found any value in the bidding process.  Maybe I'm the exception rather than the norm.

Not at all, there is a growing band of us!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes, but if it were only $500, I may consider it

1 hour ago, Missymssy said:

Yes, but if it were only $500, I may consider it

Lol. Me too!  But I haven’t seen any bidding offers for $500 bucks. Maybe the opening bids drop closer to sailing?  Idk I just go with booking what I’ll be happy in. Would hate to hold out for an upgrade only to be disappointed. 

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Lol. Me too!  But I haven’t seen any bidding offers for $500 bucks. Maybe the opening bids drop closer to sailing?  Idk I just go with booking what I’ll be happy in. Would hate to hold out for an upgrade only to be disappointed. 

Exactly, we do the same these days.

11 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Oh, no, I've never seen that in the bid email offers. But other have been saying they've upgraded once on board for that low. I book knowing that I better be happy with my original choice. Inexpensive upgrade may be nice, but definitely not likely. lol

I see the YIN cabins available when I looked several months or a year out. But they do seem to go quickly. I would also guess that some families in the YC book them for their older kids/teens while the adults take the balcony suite.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I've actually found that opening bids go UP closer to sailing.  Once someone bites on a bid and it's accepted that seems to set a new "floor."  Remember that it's an outside company that is gathering data to try to figure out exactly how much people are willing to spend.  

18 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

How does one find the YC director?  I wonder if the upgrade price is different for a 4 night cruise. I'm taking my mom on her first MSC YC experience in June.  We booked an interior and I'm fine with it and she is too, but the extra space of a balcony room is always appreciated.

On our YC sailing from Genoa on the MSC Splendida last year, the YC Director sought us out. We didn't have to look for him.

• Thanks 1

We tried out an Inside YC on Meraviglia and we’re pleasantly surprised that we were able to manage for four nights.

Having all the other areas and perks of the YC for us make it doable.

We have also sailed YC Deluxe on Seashore & YC RS on Seaside and will be doing again on Seascape and Seaside in the next few months.

Everything we received in YC Deluxe we also received I YC Interiror

Even the bottle of liquor 🥃 

MSC YC for us is a great product regardless of cabin type

Now if they would sort out the whole credit card hold fiasco, they could crack the US market (MSC are you listening)

Here is a video I put together for a YC Inside on Meraviglia 

Enjoy!

Happy Days!

https://youtu.be/GrNnS52vqG8

Edited by PompeySailor
  • Thanks 1

We just leave $250 cash as the deposit and settle it that way. Have never had a problem with credit cards on MSC. This coming June will be leaving 250 euros as a deposit for our cruise out of Rome and then get whatever is left after the DSC is taken out. Then will repeat it a couple days later for our cruise out of Genoa.

I have stopped leaving credit cards with cruise lines after our second cruise. Royal added mysterious charges, like being billed for mini bar items or missing pool towels. I would call back and they would remove the charges but it was a waste of my time. Now I just use cash and have everything settled the night before disembarkation. No more mysterious charges to deal with.

4 minutes ago, frank808 said:

We just leave $250 cash as the deposit and settle it that way. Have never had a problem with credit cards on MSC. This coming June will be leaving 250 euros as a deposit for our cruise out of Rome and then get whatever is left after the DSC is taken out. Then will repeat it a couple days later for our cruise out of Genoa.

I have stopped leaving credit cards with cruise lines after our second cruise. Royal added mysterious charges, like being billed for mini bar items or missing pool towels. I would call back and they would remove the charges but it was a waste of my time. Now I just use cash and have everything settled the night before disembarkation. No more mysterious charges to deal with.

And that’s why in the USA until they sort out the credit card debacle MSC will alienate a big chunk of the US market 

You don’t have any credit card issues with MSC as you state you only use cash 

By default credit card issue would not apply to you on MSC 😎

8 minutes ago, frank808 said:

Royal are not perfect either 

They take a $99.98 charge as a hold per cabin, removed form card after 5 days

MSC take $250 per person in cabin 

$750 on one of ours and $500 on another 

took 30 days to drop off and the other 14 days

The Holds with MSC and credit card fraud alerts are very very common known issues.

Every MSC charge is run through a. Swiss account and most major US credit cards flag that.

You probably have never had to call a credit card company from a cell in the middle of the ocean with no wifi , it is not cheap 

Luckily for us, every time it happens we use the YC desk’s phone that has most major US credit card companies on speed dial 👍🏻
Last 3 MSC cruises  BTW

I used to like it when I could set up travel alerts for certain cards, alas a lot stopped doing this.

Cash could be the way to go for people who don’t intend on spending more than $250

Maybe that could force MSC to rethink otherwise that would limit customer spending 

it’s not about the money either, it’s the process that is flawed. So becomes the principle of it.

and I’ll still say MSC is a great product, just this process sucks 

Happy Days!