Egypt Bucketlist?

CruzR887

If you have wanted to see the pyramids, Suez Canal and Middle East, the veranda price on the October 2024 Pursuit Ancient Trade Routes cruise have been cut by a third. Bookings are slow. Lots of cabins from which to choose. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Twice I took Azamara cruises that were meant to stop in Egyptian ports, but political unrest prevented us. In 2020 I was supposed to go to Egypt but on the day of my departure, New York was starting to shut down because of covid.  I'm leaving tomorrow for Cairo.  I think it's past the 3rd time is a charm point, but I rather wish I'd waited to go on this cruise, which seems like a lot less work than going on tour. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruzR887 said:

If you have wanted to see the pyramids, Suez Canal and Middle East, the veranda price on the October 2024 Pursuit Ancient Trade Routes cruise have been cut by a third. Bookings are slow. Lots of cabins from which to choose. 

Thanks for the head's up! - will call them tomorrow to request price adjustment on booked cruise

15 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Best way to appreciate Egypt is to take a two-week tour, one week in Cairo and one on a Nile boat.  Else it's just a superficial gloss-over.

Exactly!  Mrs Banjo and I leave for a 2 week tour of Egypt and included a 4 day side trip to Jordan to visit Petra later this month.  For us this is a Bucket list tour, so it’s now or never for us

• Like 2

21 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Best way to appreciate Egypt is to take a two-week tour, one week in Cairo and one on a Nile boat.  Else it's just a superficial gloss-over.

Could not agree more.  We had an amazing 14 day experience in Egypt with a Jordan (Petra and Wadi Rum) add on. It was absolutely amazing and we had time to savor it. 

• Like 2

We’re leaving in 2 weeks for a similar extended experience in Egypt and Jordan. After this, I would consider a cruise that takes us to Cairo so I can see the GEM once it opens. I have a ticket to see the lobby, entrance, etc. but it’s not fully open yet. Otherwise a land and Nile cruise trip is the way to go for Egypt IMHO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

We’re leaving in 2 weeks for a similar extended experience in Egypt and Jordan. After this, I would consider a cruise that takes us to Cairo so I can see the GEM once it opens. I have a ticket to see the lobby, entrance, etc. but it’s not fully open yet. Otherwise a land and Nile cruise trip is the way to go for Egypt IMHO.

WE could possibly be on the same tour!  Enjoy!

On 3/13/2023 at 7:20 AM, crusinbanjo said:

Exactly!  Mrs Banjo and I leave for a 2 week tour of Egypt and included a 4 day side trip to Jordan to visit Petra later this month.  For us this is a Bucket list tour, so it’s now or never for us

Can you please share tour company you will be using?  Enjoy...have lots of fun !!!

16 minutes ago, Travelingwithstyle said:

Can you please share what company you used for your trip? Thank you

Alexander + Roberts.   If you have any questions, I would be happy to send you more information if I can reach you.

4 hours ago, Cybercsp said:

Alexander + Roberts.   If you have any questions, I would be happy to send you more information if I can reach you.

We are leaving early next week on Viking transatlantic. Once I start research on Egypt and have questions I will contact you.  Tank you so very much. I really appreciate it.

Since a Nile cruise is an essential part of any in-depth Egypt itinerary, I suggest that folks come over to the River Cruising forum to research these trips.  All the river cruising companies include land extensions to Cairo/pyramids, Abu Simbel, etc. – and optional extensions to Jordan/Petra and Israel.  Among them you will have a choice of river ships built in the last couple of years, with all 'mod cons,' to classic ships including a former Royal Naval steamer that later served as a luxury yacht for King Farouk [SS Misr].

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Travelingwithstyle said:

Can you please share tour company you will be using?  Enjoy...have lots of fun !!!

We are with AMA Waterway.  We looked at Viking, and wanted to go with them, but they were sold out until way into 2024.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

We are with AMA Waterway.  We looked at Viking, and wanted to go with them, but they were sold out until way into 2024.

I know what you mean. I had originally booked this trip in November 2019 for a November 2020 travel date. I have rebooked it 6 times since then. I have traveled with AMA and they are great, too.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 1:02 PM, java spot said:

Twice I took Azamara cruises that were meant to stop in Egyptian ports, but political unrest prevented us. In 2020 I was supposed to go to Egypt but on the day of my departure, New York was starting to shut down because of covid.  I'm leaving tomorrow for Cairo.  I think it's past the 3rd time is a charm point, but I rather wish I'd waited to go on this cruise, which seems like a lot less work than going on tour. 

I've done Egypt on a great private tour (with my alma mater) including the Nile cruise; as a pre-cruise extended stay, and as several visits on a cruise going through the Suez Canal/Red Sea.  Even though it can be a hassle at times, the experience is far more immersive and memorable as a land tour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Egypt is a world-class destination although not without its challenges

A Nile cruise is fine but you really need a land tour to fully appreciate it

Cairo with a private guide is incredible but I'd wait until the new Egyptian museum was open.

Luxor area staying by the Nile is excellent. You can take a boat downstream from there

Other areas are The White Desert although this needs very careful planning with locals to the area but it's one of the most spectacular places on Earth. And Sanai has Sharm where there are some great hotels and sea life as well the mountain

13 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Love AMA-we’ve been on 4 of their river cruises including Vietnam and Cambodia with a land package.

• Like 1