Has anyone been able to connect to VPN with Carnival Wi-Fi?

Beer knurd

Due to a family emergency, I am short on PTO this year. I’d like to work from the ship at least one day, but require a VPN connection and have read that the official carnival policy is that VPN is not supported.

Has anyone tried to connect to VPN and if so, what was the outcome? I’ll probably bring my laptop anyway as a experiment but it’d be encouraging to hear if anyone has had success.

A couple of years ago, I was not able to connect to my company's intranet via the K5 VPN that we had to use. This was most likely due to the lag (ping) time which at that time was over a 1 second delay.

Edited by klfrodo

I was on the Carnival Dream in December and I did a test using the premium package.  I was able to connect to our VPN(Using Global Protect). There was a lot a latency so if you using remote desktop like connections so it may be a little frustrating at times. 

On a side note one issue I did have is our VPN uses a Two factor authentication application on my phone that also requires internet(in addition to my laptop) to work. To get around this I used the hotspot on my phone to share my premium plan with my laptop so I had a connection on both devices. After I figured this out I also let my wife use my hotspot connection as well. 

Edited by wo5m
  • Like 2

I use PIA on my Dell laptop running Kubuntu. I have to first log onto the internet wifi and THEN turn on the VPN. I can't have the VPN trying to go until after the internet is connected. Until I'm connected to the internet the VPN is trying to connect. I need to have the VPN off until I am fully connected. The I can use the VPN with no problem.

Edited by Solo1959
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, greenhorns said:

does one of these vpns work? can somebody help pls
kind regards

I've used Hotspot Shield successfully on several ships.

On both the Liberty and Celebrity Reflection, using a VPN actually increased the speeds I was getting (by up to 10x, over multiple days/test/conditions) - presumably by bypassing the ability of the ship system to throttle the bandwidth. I've documented that in a few posts. 

Having said that - such was not the case on the Mardi Gras a couple of weeks ago. I could use my VPN, but it was just a tad slower than without it.

Tom

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 3:07 PM, Beer knurd said:

Due to a family emergency, I am short on PTO this year. I’d like to work from the ship at least one day, but require a VPN connection and have read that the official carnival policy is that VPN is not supported.

Has anyone tried to connect to VPN and if so, what was the outcome? I’ll probably bring my laptop anyway as a experiment but it’d be encouraging to hear if anyone has had success.

It will likely work since you likely have a private vpn.  The explosion of vpn services have led to some administrators blocking these major providers,  but i dont think the intent is to restrict people like you.

• Like 1

I usually work for about 30 minutes a day in the mornings.   However, I have not been able to log into my office's VPN for quite some time.   There are only a few functions I need it for so I do it port days using my phone as a hotspot.   Not the best but it works.

On 3/14/2023 at 4:55 PM, wo5m said:

I was on the Carnival Dream in December and I did a test using the premium package.  I was able to connect to our VPN(Using Global Protect). There was a lot a latency so if you using remote desktop like connections so it may be a little frustrating at times. 

On a side note one issue I did have is our VPN uses a Two factor authentication application on my phone that also requires internet(in addition to my laptop) to work. To get around this I used the hotspot on my phone to share my premium plan with my laptop so I had a connection on both devices. After I figured this out I also let my wife use my hotspot connection as well. 

This is good info. Yes I plan on premium, and only use the VPN for source control commits and clones. Everything else is 2fa, so I’ll need to make sure my phone is connected and use that hotspot as advised. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Angiet75 said:

Does anyone know if the Mardi Gras has switched to the star link yet and if so, have you used VPN on the darling? I use Cisco any connect and I’m hoping it works.

I had internet on The Mardi Gras in January and it was very fast. I was able to stream live video without issue. I couldn't get my work VPN to work though. I ended up having to use remote desktop to connect to my home computer that could then VPN into work.

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2023 at 12:36 PM, ProvoAggie said:

I had internet on The Mardi Gras in January and it was very fast. I was able to stream live video without issue. I couldn't get my work VPN to work though. I ended up having to use remote desktop to connect to my home computer that could then VPN into work.

Happen to know what VPN protocol/type you use?  I work from ships frequently, and am trying to gauge the situation on post-Starlink CCL ships.  I don't have the remote option as I can only access resources via company hardware.  I can use a travel router to tailscale to my home connection and 'bury' the corporate VPN tunnel, which opens an option, but guarantee nothing (and adds latency).

On 5/27/2023 at 1:09 PM, monorailmedic said:

Happen to know what VPN protocol/type you use?  I work from ships frequently, and am trying to gauge the situation on post-Starlink CCL ships.  I don't have the remote option as I can only access resources via company hardware.  I can use a travel router to tailscale to my home connection and 'bury' the corporate VPN tunnel, which opens an option, but guarantee nothing (and adds latency).

I don't work for a large corporation. We just use the PPTP supported by our ASUS router in our office and use the Windows 11 VPN to connect to it...no special clients. It's pretty basic.

I could not get my iPad connected on the Pride Monday while using NordVPN.

The WiFi on the Pride has been very flaky. Sometimes it’s fine, but I’ve had lots of intermittent outages.

I was able to connect via my company's VPN last month on Spirit.  It was very slow.  I only used it when I needed to get into applications that required the VPN sign-on.  This was via the premium internet package.  I considered this a minor win because my experience on Royal Caribbean and Princess last year was that the VPN was not usable.