Classic Beverage Package questions

hisfirstm8

We will have the new Classic Beverage Package this year, which was included in our booking.  I'm wondering with the $9 or $10 limit on drinks how many of our drinks will not be included.  We drink Manhattan's, Drambuie and Baileys, which look like they are not included. Will will have to pay the difference and a tip each time we order one of these drinks?  We don't drink enough to upgrade because we will be getting drinks before dinner in the Elite area because of our status.

On our last cruise before Covid, we were able to get all the types of drinks we usually want, just couldn't use the Premium liquors.  

Thanks for your help.

Barbara

We just came off the Reflection with the classic package.  In the past, we always upgraded to premium, but the current $38 to $50 per day upgrade charge seems excessive.  We do not drink a lot, but many of our favorites are not included in the classic; however, with the exception of the $4.80 charge at the martini bar, we never paid more than $1.20 for anything we ordered, incuding my husband's Drambuie, my Aperol spritzes and raspberry mojitos.  The servers always told us about the charge when we ordered, and we never asked if we could substitute classic liquors.   Sometimes they didn't even bring a charge slip to sign.  It was an easy process and I think we saved a lot of money without diminishing our experience.  I hope it works out well for you too. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Conn Mom,

Thanks so much for your reply.  I'm hoping that's what we will find.  Also, I hope when we go to the lounge before dinner, for the Elite members, I can try to get a Manhatten.   We just don't drink enough to justify upgrading for a few extra charges.

Barbara

There is no Elite lounge happy hour  drinks anymore. Drinks from the HH menu will be available at most bars, but usually not at the Martini bar or World Class bar and not in the dining rooms. This will be from 5-7 and not on the first night. Baily's is definitely only on the premium menu. You should be able to get most mixed drinks with the classic package, just made with well liquor, not primium liquor.

34 minutes ago, hisfirstm8 said:

Conn Mom,

Thanks so much for your reply.  I'm hoping that's what we will find.  Also, I hope when we go to the lounge before dinner, for the Elite members, I can try to get a Manhatten.   We just don't drink enough to justify upgrading for a few extra charges.

Barbara

Sadly no lounge event for Elite members any longer with appetizers.   Just go to pretty much any bar.  A Manhattan will not be a problem.

To the prior poster, of course you can get regular sodas.  Just not high end sparkling water.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

39 minutes ago, ConnMom said:

but the current $38 to $50 per day upgrade charge seems excessive

That seems pretty steep. I just upgraded my wife and I for an 8N cruise in October and the total cost to upgrade was 151 per person for the length of the cruise. (This includes the gratuity). We are Select status so we get a small discount, but a friend of ours who also upgraded and this is their first celebrity cruise and they never cruised Royal, also upgraded and paid a little over 165 per person for the 8N cruise per person. 

Is this cost to upgrade you were quoted was on the ship?

Arizona Wildcat,

So how does it work getting the free drinks during the dinner hours if you are an Elite.  It is drinks at bars during a certain time frame?  

Thanks, we haven't cruises since they had a lounge to go to.

Barbara

57 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

You should be able to get a Manhattan fully covered with the classic package.  As mentioned, it will be with Jim Beam white label.

Or with CC or VO if you prefer one with rye whiskey - they are both on the Classic list. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hisfirstm8 said:

So how does it work getting the free drinks during the dinner hours if you are an Elite

The bars will have a happy hour menu. Basically go to a bar that's not the Martini Bar or the World Bar and you will see the HH menu.

2 hours ago, binro01 said:

That seems pretty steep. I just upgraded my wife and I for an 8N cruise in October and the total cost to upgrade was 151 per person for the length of the cruise. (This includes the gratuity). We are Select status so we get a small discount, but a friend of ours who also upgraded and this is their first celebrity cruise and they never cruised Royal, also upgraded and paid a little over 165 per person for the 8N cruise per person. 

Is this cost to upgrade you were quoted was on the ship?

If you paid $151 pp for 8 nights ($302 for 2),  that is pretty close to the daily $38 quoted by @ConnMom (would be $304 for 8 nights) if you assume she was talking about the upgrade for both her and hubby. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

If you paid $151 pp for 8 nights ($302 for 2),  that is pretty close to the daily $38 quoted by @ConnMom (would be $304 for 8 nights) if you assume she was talking about the upgrade for both her and hubby. 

That's true, I immediately think per person per day pricing when people talk about drink package prices. When we upgraded, my wife is not a big drinker, and the special mixology drinks, or the martini bar might not be her thing, but the ability to get the smoothies from the spa cafe, the premium waters and the bottled teas, do make the upgrade worth it for her. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hisfirstm8 said:

We will have the new Classic Beverage Package this year, which was included in our booking.  I'm wondering with the $9 or $10 limit on drinks how many of our drinks will not be included.  We drink Manhattan's, Drambuie and Baileys, which look like they are not included. Will will have to pay the difference and a tip each time we order one of these drinks?  We don't drink enough to upgrade because we will be getting drinks before dinner in the Elite area because of our status.

On our last cruise before Covid, we were able to get all the types of drinks we usually want, just couldn't use the Premium liquors.  

Thanks for your help.

Barbara

You will find the Classic package fairly close (maybe exactly the same) to what it was like in your Pre Covid cruises. (Except the price you may have paid)

A little perplexed about you HH Elite comment.  Did you find that many of the HH drinks were not available with you previous Classic package?  Which ones?

I am sorry if I misled people on my upgrade price estimates.  I was including 2 people, and I never telephoned for an actual offer, since it appears online that the cost for ordering before the cruise is $18.20 pp plus tip (before loyalty discounts).  That is more than I think the upgrade is worth to us.  I think the upgrade cost onboard is the full $20 plus tip with no loyalty discounts allowed; I guess that would be $48 rather than the $50 for two people that I estimated.  

We were content with the classic package, but we did miss the upgraded waters.  I also would have preferred to have premium wines included, but last summer it was difficult to get upgraded wines in the dining room, even with the premium package. For future cruises I will keep my eyes open for upgrade sales.