Isle of Capri on your own tour

LarryF

Has anyone taken the Isle of Capri on your own Shore Excursion?  It's offered on the Celebrity Reflection for our day in port in Naples.  I'm curious as to what the capacity is.  We were on a similar independent tour 12 years ago that had a max capacity of only 15 people.  Here's a link to the tour...https://www.celebritycruises.com/account/cruise-planner/category/pt_shoreX/product/NPR8?bookingId=5420720&shipCode=RF&sailDate=20230513

Thanks,

Larry

Edited by LarryF

As @steamboats said, don't bother with the excursion. Take the ferry. It's right outside where you dock...less than 4 minute walk.

And as @cbfb said, go to Anacapri...do not, repeat, do not miss taking the chairlift to Monte Solaro. The views are amazing...we went June 2022. There's a little 'coffee shop' in the small park at the top. 

Take an open-air taxi from the ferry pier...the ride itself is worth the price of admission...

Here's a great website that gave us a ton of info...you can see the rates of various transportation...

https://www.capri.net/en/e/getting-around

ETA:  Here's a link to the chairlift website...

http://www.capriseggiovia.it/impianto.html

Edited by dlh015
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Just walk over to the ferry terminal and take the ferry on your own. The ship tours do use the same ferries.

steamboats

Yes, that's what I was afraid of.  The tour we took 12 years ago  was on a small boat.  It was very scenic.  We were able to swim and it also stopped at the Blue Grotto for anyone that wanted to go in.  The tour was great and the boat ride played a big part of why it was so great.  I've found independent tours we could take, but we wouldn't get back to the ship on time.  

11 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

As @steamboats said, don't bother with the excursion. Take the ferry. It's right outside where you dock...less than 4 minute walk.

And as @cbfb said, go to Anacapri...do not, repeat, do not miss taking the chairlift to Monte Solaro. The views are amazing...we went June 2022. There's a little 'coffee shop' in the small park at the top. 

Take an open-air taxi from the ferry pier...the ride itself is worth the price of admission...

Here's a great website that gave us a ton of info...you can see the rates of various transportation...

https://www.capri.net/en/e/getting-around

ETA:  Here's a link to the chairlift website...

http://www.capriseggiovia.it/impianto.html

Thanks for the information.  We did the open air taxi when we did the tour 12 years ago and we also took the chair lift to Monte Solaro.  It was great, that's why we want to go back!

• Like 1

You don't need to worry about the return trip with the ferry. Just buy the return ticket at Marina Grande in Capri for a ferry back to Naples (there are two companies and they have different times).

There are plenty of boats offering trips around the island. So no need to book with a tour company. All boats pass by the Blue Grotto where you can optionally (additional fee) go inside (you need to change boats).

I usually use the public bus up to Anacapri. The ticket booth and bus terminal is right at the Marina Grande. I buy all the tickets I need for the day. Like one up to Anacapri, one for Anacapri to Capri town, one for the funicolar down to Marina Grande.

steamboats 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LarryF said:

Yes, that's what I was afraid of.  The tour we took 12 years ago  was on a small boat.  It was very scenic.  We were able to swim and it also stopped at the Blue Grotto for anyone that wanted to go in.  The tour was great and the boat ride played a big part of why it was so great.  I've found independent tours we could take, but we wouldn't get back to the ship on time.  

I think you may be a bit confused. An "On Your Own" tour generally just means that the excursion gets you to a dropping off point at X and after that you are on your own to get around, sightsee, take a boat tour, whatever.  It is not going to include what you describe above.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  We'll definitely buy our own ferry tickets and do our own thing.  The cruise ship tour costs $121(US) per person and the ferry cost about $50(US) per person.  I now see what you all mean!

Thanks,

Larry

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you may be a bit confused. An "On Your Own" tour generally just means that the excursion gets you to a dropping off point at X and after that you are on your own to get around, sightsee, take a boat tour, whatever.  It is not going to include what you describe above.

Exactly, the On Your Own tour for Capri is just an overpriced ferry ride back and forth with a guide keeping you all together. They use the same ferry as everyone else. Actually I have seen an X group on the ferry over to Capri once. So they don´t have their own boats.

steamboats

We did it on our own without Celebrity.    Just get off the ship and turn left.   There are a number of vendors that sell combo tickets for the Ferry an Blue Lagoon.      Was on of our favorite day trips.

On 3/18/2023 at 4:58 PM, cbfb said:

I don’t know anything about this tour but I had to jump on to say be sure you go up to Anacapri. We were there in October and it’s amazing. 

Anacapri is terrific.

Bottom level has little on it (marina grande,  you catch a boat on this level), second level is typical cruise port stuff (capri), top level (Anacapri) is much quieter and cooler. There is an old church, a few shops and a few restaurants. 

A small tip... if you take the bus back down don't try and get on at the main waystation with everyone else. Walk up two to three stops (a few blocks). You will be able to get on the bus, and might even score a seat! 

The taxi is outrageously expensive,  but the view from one is phenomenal. 

Doing the funicular once is interesting. 

• Like 1

For those who don´t have any problems with their knees and need some exercise you can walk down from Anacapri to Marina Grande using the Phoenician staircase (Scala Fenicia) which has been finally renovated a couple of years ago. You can see a couple of my photos here.

When it´s not too hot I love to go up to the Villa Iovis or if you don´t want to climb up there you can take a turn and follow the signs to Arco Naturale. It´s a very nice walk up way up but along the Southern coast of Capri passing by the Faraglioni rocks and also the Villa Malaparte plus the Grotto di Matermania.

steamboats