Table for two on Summit

Aldeya

I know that tables for 2 in the main dining room are literally inches from each other. It was never a problem for us before.

Unfortunately with my husband's hearing loss it causes quite an uncomfortable situation. When people next to our table trying to start a friendly conversation he gets very upset because he can't fully participate in it. I have to apologize so people wouldn't take his behavior as rude. 

On our recent cruise we spoke to maitre 'd on the first day but  were not accommodated so we skipped main dining room altogether for a duration of the cruise...

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to request a separate table for two which would not be jammed with other tables inches apart...At this point it is more than just inconvenience...

Any suggestions? 

Edited by Aldeya

Request on of the tables for two at the back window.    They have those huge clamshell chairs and the tables are not close together. Also a beautiful view for dinner. 

DCFBC936-1232-4C50-B00A-D6607A00690E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Speak to the restaurant host when you board and arrange for a table the best meets your needs.  

Also look at eating late when it is much less crowded.

On your prior cruise did you go to the food or hotel manager or customer relations manager?

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

WE have a similar situation regarding not being able to converse with other diners so we do dine later in the evening and the host once we find a table beside a window or along the wall as you enter(it is somewhat busy with people going by) that works for us the host gave it to us each night.  Lunch in the MDR was not as easy to do but we usually only eat there once or twice so we make it work.

I found the host very willing to help and if you offer to wait until something is available they are most appreciative.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Speak to the restaurant host when you board and arrange for a table the best meets your needs.  

Also look at eating late when it is much less crowded.

On your prior cruise did you go to the food or hotel manager or customer relations manager?

We spoke with maitre d when we boarded the ship. He said that the ship is fully booked, he'll try to accommodate us but when we came in the evening all he could offer was the table which we tried to avoid. It looks like we should've escalate this and speak with someone else but were too upset and decided to skip dining room. I'm trying to avoid this on our upcoming cruise.

Speak with the host at the podium on the first night you dine there.  I never explained why I preferred a table not between two other tables or by itself - just nicely asked.  As I said we did dine later in the evening after 8 PM.   Once we liked the table we were given it each night if we dined around the same time. If it does not happen the first time, try again the next night.

• Like 1

Actually why not go to the MDR upon boarding take stock of the seating and decide which tables would work best for you... get the table numbers!!!

Speak to the the Maitre d' to advise of your situation and the tables which work best for you... AND the approximate time you will be arriving so they can try to keep one of the available for you.

I would also suggest that all bets would be off if you are more than 15 minutes late as their hands would be tied because of the numbers to seat, plus if you are desiring to eat at a busy time, there may be a wait beyond normal walk up time...

After all, the M d' cannot hold a table but for so long in order to accommodate as many diners as possible. 

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remember that the time you may want to eat, those tables may be in use and you may have to wait a bit for them to free up.

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 3

Please do keep in mind that the tables you want are very few and among the most desired tables on the ship. I'm confident that the Maitre d' is asked for those tables all the time for any number of reasons.

While I empathize completely and sympathize to a degree with your husband's condition (I have some hearing loss, myself), you really are asking a lot of the Maitre d'. Have you offered to meet halfway?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

Please do keep in mind that the tables you want are very few and among the most desired tables on the ship. I'm confident that the Maitre d' is asked for those tables all the time for any number of reasons.

While I empathize completely and sympathize to a degree with your husband's condition (I have some hearing loss, myself), you really are asking a lot of the Maitre d'. Have you offered to meet halfway?

Absolutely this. To "escalate this" just because you could not be guaranteed what you desire is not fair to the maitre d' since by its very nature Select Dining is NOT reserved tables.

It's too late for this cruise, and I know ego and such makes people not want to, but look into hearing aids. My dad resisted them for the longest time but finally went to get some and it has been life changing - he can converse with people when out to eat without all the "What?" and such . They make them so tiny now people would really have to be staring and know what to look for to even know someone is wearing them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DH is totally deaf without hearing aids.  With them he can hear but hearing aids amplify all the sound so crowded noisy areas like the MDRs, Martini Bar are very difficult for him hear even those sitting next to him.  So I sympathize with the OP.  

We check out the dining room and find the tables that are in corners or along a walkway wall.  We never ask for a table by a window, or for a table where we both can look out at the dining room. I always sit facing a wall with my back to  the rest of the room.  That’s fine by me.  Most times the tables we suggest are not the tables that are considered desirable by most.  We explain DHs situation to the host or hostess and tell them which tables would be best for us if they are available.  We have found that if we come relatively close to the same time every night one of the suggested tables is waiting for us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 8:17 PM, Tinknock50 said:

On the sister ships, I had a table for 2 at the top of the stairs. It was not near anyone else.

To add to my post….. these tables are near the kitchen doors and don’t have a view. They probably wouldn’t be considered “desirable “ tables so should be easy to get. Being by the kitchen is not intrusive to your dining. Don’t know if there is ever live music at dinner anymore, but it was near the “bandstand”.