Drinks Packages (Alcohol) on Cruises $$$$ Not worth it anymore.

Firmly of the opinion these really are not worth it anymore, we have a Carnival Cruise coming up, first time with them but the drinks package is $111 per person per day and both passengers in a state room MUST buy it, that’s $1766 for 8 nights!!!! No way….

Β 

At least with the Royal Caribbean trip in October last year from Honolulu to Sydney they let me just buy the 1 package when on special for $86 per day as my wife does not really drink, an occasional cocktail is about it, think she bought 6 over 19 nights and I got her a 15 drink coffee card for about $50, I still thought that $86 a day ($1634 for the cruise) was about the limit I would pay.

Β 

So unless you get the all-inclusive packages with booking as we have on upcoming Princess and HAL cruises that are not a rip off, the 14 night HAL I just booked was only around another $900 each for the have it all package but as well as Drinks package you get internet, excursion credit and a 2 nights speciality dinning, so even with my wife only drinks little with a coffee or 2 its still worthwhile.

Princess at $65 a day is good value. We are scotch drinkers with wine at meal time and have had our money’s worth drinking Talisker. $10 of the package covers wifi so 5 drinks and coffees more than covers the package. Wouldn’t pay $100 though.

Juls

• Like 1

Personally it all comes to everyones individual preferences. Β 

My hubby enjoys a drink of an avo and evening, plus coffee in the mornings, water and tonic water during the day.

I enjoy a cocktail or 2 only, plus coffee and water.

We enjoy the wi-fi with the package as well.

So for our individual needs, it is worth it. Β No checking the bill every few days, we know all these are covered, and frankly it is our decision and we are happy about it........

Others make their decisions, on their own personal needs and budget.

Princess make the offer if you want them. Β Probably a lot better than other some cruise lines

Simply pleasures are your own choice.

No complaints for Princess here. Β Β 

We usually have a package with Princess (the Plus) but the Carnival one at $111 pppd (and not including coffee) is just not worth it IMO. I am cruising with my son, who has been on Carnival several times, and he has $500 OBC so no way I would be purchasing a package! We have separate cabins and bookings but, believe me, he will be shouting his aged mother, the odd drink.Β πŸ˜‚

Even the Cunard drinks package was wayyyyy too much - $US70 pppd.

Β 

Our December cruise (DH and I) is back on Silver Muse so drinks are already included.

Edited by Aussieflyer

I see a drinks package as a challenge and I WILL win.

Β 

Carnival is the only one I don't see value in and don't buy. Their drinks aren't that expensive.Β  RCI on the other hand, I can easily get $100+ value out of them, once you add service charge and convert to USD the drink prices are extortionate, 5 drinks a day and you're even!Β Β 

Β 

On a typical day usually have a beer or fruity cocktail 2 on the sun deck during the day, then once we're all dressed for dinner we'll head downstairs for a couple of pre-dinner cocktails in a bar, wine or 2 and maybe a digestive with dinner.Β  Off to a bar or show for another couple of drinks and we are way in front of the package without trying very hard or being particularly drunk.Β  Boy the calories add up though... I wouldn't drink like that at home!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

At the moment our Royal cruise is showing $127.06 for the deluxe beverage package, we would never spend $250 a day between us and we like a drink, although not as much as we used to!

Our last couple of short cruises, P&O and Carnival, very similar prices, we averaged $100 a day between us.

We drink tea/coffee in the morning and water during the day, a drink in a bar before dinner and buy a bottle of wine with dinner and instead of getting the waiter to save the bottle for the following night, we now take it with us and enjoy at a show or bar...or I finish the wineπŸ˜‡ and Andy has a bourbon.

Β 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lissie said:

I think people forget that these packages are put together to make the cruise line money - not to save passengers money!Β Β 

So true! Β I was on a cruise when they unexpectedly announced an Australian get together. Β I thought how nice. Β However, the other couple, who knew the cruise members hosting the event, said "Haven't you made the alcohol budget?"

• Haha 2

Currently on the HAL Noordam with a Have it all package. Apart from the speciality dining and $200 excursions credit, I am getting good value from the basic drinks package, especially considering everything on board is in US dollars, which is hard for non US citizens.Β  There is a good choice of wines and spirits at or below the $11 a glass limit. Internet also included in the package, but not so good on board.

• Like 1

On my upcoming RC Ovation cruise, I was able to get the deluxe package for $96/person/day during black friday sale. Nowhere near as cheap as pre-covid strill, but it hasn't been any cheaper before nor since for my cruise at least. Would be 4 drinks per day to break even and I think wife & I should be able to do that pretty easily without even trying. We don't normally drink this much but hey, it's a cruise!

Edited by cruise_critical
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, suey said:

For my recent 6 day Princess cruise we got drink package with internet for $50 per day and for half world cruise next year only $40 per day - well worth it.

The $40 was just a carrot to get people booking during the dark days, so really exceptional value. We used-up our $40 booking in October.

Β 

Even at the current $65 per diem, they are still great value compared to what the others are offering. Even then, we are pre-paying $130 between us each day for internet/drinks/coffee plus pool deck desserts/fitness classes we won't use. We will get great value out of drinking what/when we want but could equally spend less than $100 between us for a morning coffee, evening drinks and a glass of wine at dinner.

Β 

As for these $100+ each per diem packages, I will leave those to the drinkers.

• Like 1

Holland America currently has drinks, wifi, $200 shore excursion credit, 2 speciality dining dinners for $AUD70/day on select cruises for 14 days or more with $300 excursion and 3 dinners if 21 days or more.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nang said:

Holland America currently has drinks, wifi, $200 shore excursion credit, 2 speciality dining dinners for $AUD70/day on select cruises for 14 days or more with $300 excursion and 3 dinners if 21 days or more.

HAL is a bit inconsistent with their wine by the glass pricing. It can vary from venue to venue, sometimes tipping over the package limit. At dinner one night the wine we wanted was listed as one of the recommended wines on the menu at $12 a glass, so over the limit, yet in the wine list it was $11 a glass. The waiters have to note the price so we made sure we showed them the lower price!Β 

Β 

However you can get drinks above the limit and only pay the difference now, like on Princess. If you buy a bottle of wine you get $11 discount - I reckon it should have been $22 as two people were drinking it!🀣

On 3/21/2023 at 11:56 AM, cheznandy said:

At the moment our Royal cruise is showing $127.06 for the deluxe beverage package, we would never spend $250 a day between us and we like a drink, although not as much as we used to!

Our last couple of short cruises, P&O and Carnival, very similar prices, we averaged $100 a day between us.

We drink tea/coffee in the morning and water during the day, a drink in a bar before dinner and buy a bottle of wine with dinner and instead of getting the waiter to save the bottle for the following night, we now take it with us and enjoy at a show or bar...or I finish the wineπŸ˜‡ and Andy has a bourbon.

Β 

That's not how I remember your intake ! Cheers, Buzz.

• Haha 1