Flight seat selection timing and issues

traveljkkk

Viking scheduled us for premium economy on Lufthansa - USA to Europe and beyond later this year. I am able to select seats for all other airlines related to this trip. I cannot select my seats on the two Lufthansa legs and after discussion with the airline it is because the ticket is not "paid". "The seats are assigned at check in". If this is the way it happens, do they put travel partners together? Is this a common problem with this airline? Will it clear up closer to the flight date? How is this best handled? Just looking for experiences with this. One other point, this is a United flight "operated by Lufthansa".

Dead on 60 days last week I was able to select my seats with Lufthansa as Viking had now paid for the seats.There was a charge though.This can be avoided if you wait until on line check in at 23 hrs before the flight.Other option is to risk waiting until at the airport.

I did this via the Brussels Airline app on my phone.They are partners with Lufthansa and have an easier app to navigate.

I am in the UK ,so might be different.

Edited by sugarside
  • Thanks 1

Yes, unfortunately, this has been the norm for many years with many foreign carriers. You can not assign seats until the flight is ticketed and even then you may have to pay for a seat assignment if you want to have it before check in . This is true even in business class ( unless you either have a high status with the airline or if Viking has a contracted arrangement to allow you to get them before that ) . Generally you can get seats together at check in but it is not guaranteed; only way to do that is to pay for early seat assignments with these foreign carriers.

Also, as an FYI , if your flight is sold as United, but operated by Lufthansa, you will need to check in with Lufthansa. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, traveljkkk said:

Viking scheduled us for premium economy on Lufthansa - USA to Europe and beyond later this year. I am able to select seats for all other airlines related to this trip. I cannot select my seats on the two Lufthansa legs and after discussion with the airline it is because the ticket is not "paid". "The seats are assigned at check in". If this is the way it happens, do they put travel partners together? Is this a common problem with this airline? Will it clear up closer to the flight date? How is this best handled? Just looking for experiences with this. One other point, this is a United flight "operated by Lufthansa".

Just my 2 cents.

I took Viking Air Plus for my upcoming Mekong river cruise in August.  When I spoke to the Air department, they gave me seats for everything except Korean Air.  Two weeks ago I called the Air Plus department and asked for and received seat assignments for Korean Air.  My seats are not yet "paid".

Patience sometimes pays off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’ve had success in using air plus and asking that the tix be paid well in advance so we can pick seats. Done this more than once, so it’s not a fluke, although we use a good travel agent, that many on here say is not “worth it”. It’s no cost, folks!

2 hours ago, vslparis said:

This is true even in business class

I stand to be corrected, but in my experience it's only British Airways who have the audacity to charge their business class customers for advance seat assignment. Just one of a number of reasons that I avoid them where possible.

5 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

We’ve had success in using air plus and asking that the tix be paid well in advance so we can pick seats.

I would agree with that. It might be worth adding that the cruise does need to be paid for in full before Viking will ticket flights. 

2 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Two weeks ago I called the Air Plus department and asked for and received seat assignments for Korean Air.  My seats are not yet "paid".

Do be aware that those assignments are almost certainly provisional and (despite showing as selected for you on the airline's website) will not be fully confirmed by the airline until the flight has been paid for and ticketed. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

I stand to be corrected, but in my experience it's only British Airways who have the audacity to charge their business class customers for advance seat assignment. Just one of a number of reasons that I avoid them where possible.

Iberia also.  Probably others , but it is good never to assume that even business class gets you a seat assignment before check in without paying.  It is something US travelers have a hard time wrapping their head around since it is not the norm with US carriers like it is with some non US carriers. And you are correct, it is audacious . Last year BA wanted another $160 a seat for pre check in sear assignments in Business class from NY. 

3 hours ago, traveljkkk said:

A trick for the Lufthansa group that has worked for me is to use the App not the website.  Also I found that accessing a reservation via a partner App allowed me to select seats when the operating airlines App would not.   I.e. I have an upcoming  flight on Swiss and the Swiss app offered no seat selection.   I accessed the same reservation in the Austrian App and I could select seats.  It may not work in all cases but it might be worth a try.    Due to previous trips I have accounts setup for each Airline (Lufthansa Swiss Austrian Brussels) which also may help  

This all may not be possible until your flights are ticketed but again it might be worth a try

i just noticed the last line about it being a Lufthansa flight operating by United.  Check with United and get their reservation # you should be able to select seats even if not ticketed.   

good luck!

Edited by sfocruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Iberia also

Sorry missed them, not having flown with Iberia.... I did stand to be corrected 😁

I'm not surprised though as Iberia are owned by IAG, just like BA. To their credit Aer Lingus (who are also part of the IAG group) did not charge for assignments in business last time I used them though that might have changed.

Generally though, I do think it is valid to reassure US customers that free seat selection for business class passengers is generally standard practice in the industry worldwide and that (IAG aside) airlines that dare to make this charge are still very few and far between. 

34 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Iberia also.  Probably others , but it is good never to assume that even business class gets you a seat assignment before check in without paying.  It is something US travelers have a hard time wrapping their head around since it is not the norm with US carriers like it is with some non US carriers. And you are correct, it is audacious . Last year BA wanted another $160 a seat for pre check in sear assignments in Business class from NY. 

FWIW, we have independently purchased flights on Iberia from Barcelona to Paris after our NCL transatlantic in April/May.  We used AA awards and because of the small points difference are in biz class (A321 so slightly more leg room and a guaranteed empty middle.   I was surprised that when I went to the Iberia app, that we were able to select our seats already….so maybe it’s only the long haul flights that they make you wait until checkin?

51 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

Do be aware that those assignments are almost certainly provisional and (despite showing as selected for you on the airline's website) will not be fully confirmed by the airline until the flight has been paid for and ticketed. 

The Viking Air agent did state that.  But it is reassuring to know where you might be sitting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeyB said:

The Viking Air agent did state that.

Great to hear that the agent was straight with you. You've certainly done the right thing to get a placeholder on those seats. It's just that I never feel completely comfortable until the ticketing has been actioned. Even then, of course, equipment changes and so on can throw a spanner 🔧in the works, Fortunately the vast majority of time everything is fine, thank goodness, so have a great trip to the Mekong!

15 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I was surprised that when I went to the Iberia app, that we were able to select our seats already…

Hi Clay,

Having not flown with them, I initially took valparis at their word when they said that Iberia made the charge for BC seat assignments. Your post prompted me to doublecheck.

In fact, advance seat selection is included in the fare as evidenced by the screenshot below from the Iberia website.

This allows me to maintain that BA is the only major airline to charge for seat assignments in business class. I hope valparis will forgive me for making this correction, I do like to be right 😁

image.thumb.png.fa7a1246acbd2180e8925adba8e93bd4.png

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

Great to hear that the agent was straight with you. You've certainly done the right thing to get a placeholder on those seats. It's just that I never feel completely comfortable until the ticketing has been actioned. Even then, of course, equipment changes and so on can throw a spanner 🔧in the works, Fortunately the vast majority of time everything is fine, thank goodness, so have a great trip to the Mekong!

My equipment change story:

Years (and years ago) we booked almost a year ahead for biz seats on Air France A380 (still haven’t flown one, so you know where this story ends) and I was able to select the best seats in the house (upstairs, first row, window and aisle) for us. Every Friday for almost a year, I checked to be sure we hadn’t been moved.  When we went to check in, suddenly we didn’t have a seat assignment.  Yup, they had substituted a 777 and I suspect because we were upstairs, they hadn’t assigned us a seat, so we ended up (after lots of finagling) with an aisle and a middle 😢

#firstworldproblems

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

Hi Clay,

Having not flown with them, I initially took valparis at their word when they said that Iberia made the charge for BC seat assignments. Your post prompted me to doublecheck.

In fact, advance seat selection is included in the fare as evidenced by the screenshot below from the Iberia website.

This allows me to maintain that BA is the only major airline to charge for seat assignments in business class. I hope valparis will forgive me for making this correction, I do like to be right 😁

image.thumb.png.fa7a1246acbd2180e8925adba8e93bd4.png

Well, so do I 🤣. I have run into this in the past , but am always willing to be updated .

The seats are free only from  24 hours before the flight on this schedule  . A lot has to do with the price point of course and what amenities come with a contracted rate that someone like Viking usually has.  
Crazy to think that you can pay $5582 for a ticket and not have a confirmed seat assignment without a fee until check in.   It certainly is an IAG thing .

I guess my point was that never assume that you will have a seat assignment without a fee in any class ; you do need to keep checking if Viking says no to that because there  is also sometimes a time restriction as to when they are available. Again, due to contracts. 

7573F5B3-8E9E-430B-B343-44CDEBB6CF0E.thumb.png.6a3455a0646bf77dbf86e77d10a0d38f.png

My first world seat problem.
I'm a Delta member and went on line to select our 2 seats for part of our return leg.
Strangely, (I'll explain late,r KLM involved) Delter wanted $19 each for these seats in Economy for that leg even though i'm flying Delta Premium Economy. I selected the 2 exit row seats and paid.  Bill for $38 came through on credit card. Couple days later I go back on Delter website and WTH? I only have one assigned seat. Can't fix online.

Turns out KLM is involved. I'm a member there too but KLM won't let me add my trip on their website as they do not recognize the AIRLINE (not the Viking) booking code. I go thru phone wait hell. The DL phone Rep (nice person) taped on keys for 15 minutes finally saying we were not yet paid ticketed despite Viking having my $30,000 so I can do nothing as yet paying $38 for 2 seat assignments and only getting one. Catch 22.

I know. Spending 30K for cruise and special airfares and here I am obsessing over $38 and no valid seat assignments.

Edited by philw1776

2 hours ago, vslparis said:

but am always willing to be updated

Agreed, I like to be right but I am always happy to learn too. 👨‍🎓

These boards are great sources of information and I'm gradually getting used to the fact that one's relationship with airlines through cruise contracts is very different from when dealing with them direct. As in the example below.

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Booked air through viking. Return on British Air business. Seats were assigned when travel agent booked 

That is really helpful to know. I have always sorted seat allocation for myself and would never of thought to ask my travel agent. Something to try in the future 👍

Edited by photopro2
typo

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Booked air through viking. Return on British Air business. Seats were assigned when travel agent booked 

Just curious , is this  flight flown by BA or sold as a BA flight but flown by AA ?

Have booked air with Viking several times because the price is right. It’s always less than I can get.  It is usually decent arrangement. Never had more than one connection.   On some routes there isn’t a great arrangement.  Haven’t experienced many problems with Viking Air seat selection. The reservation number either matches the airline or call the airline and get the number.   Got the booking reservation more than 6 months before our upcoming cruise.  4 planes,  seat selection on 3 of the flights.  I was ok with seats on 2 of the flights. I changed seats on the 3rd flight. The flight with no seat assignments is a very short ride.  For a short ride, it isn’t a big deal.  Relax. If you get a terrible arrangement, call your TA and ask for assistance.  She even got us free seat assignments on a BA flight.

On 3/19/2023 at 7:51 AM, vslparis said:

Iberia also.  

Last year BA wanted another $160 a seat for pre check in sear assignments in Business class from NY. 

BA and IB are both part of the IAG airline holding company, so you will find many similar business practices for both.

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

BA and IB are both part of the IAG airline holding company, so you will find many similar business practices for both.

I did mention that earlier but, having now investigated Iberia and Aer Lingus, find it is just a BA thing.

23 hours ago, Redtravel said:

call your TA and ask for assistance.  She even got us free seat assignments on a BA flight.

Interesting that it does not seem to apply to some cruise contract tickets. Maybe one of the few advantages to booking BA tickets through Viking?

BTW thanks for chipping in FlyerTalk, I am a fan of your excellent posts and way of "telling it like it is" 🙂👍

Edited by photopro2
typo