Wonder of the Seas one entree rule ?

firts

Wondering if anyone has experienced the one entree at a time on wonder of the seas. We sail next month and I would like a heads up of what to expect .

appreciate any info on this matter. Thanks 🙂

When you see all the waist left on the tables you can see why they want to slow people down from ordering, That being said we encouraged our kids to try different things on cruises, so we weren’t experimenting at a  restaurants at home .If they don’t like first plate on  cruise they could always order something else which was nice.

I may be in the minority here, but I prefer it one at a time.  That way while I am eating one, the other is not sitting on the table getting cold.  I prefer to enjoy each dish as it is presented.  I have never been a fan of nibbling on different dishes at the same time.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

It is really surprising how many don't get the point!

It s not about food waist or what you like to order....if someone wants 2 mains to be on the table at the same time - they need to comply with that request - anything else is not acceptable!

I agree.  Excluding all the cons, if it is requested then it should be granted.  Until Royal has an official policy in writing stating otherwise, it is not up to the dining staff/management to make up their own rules.

Edited by TheBucketLister
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheBucketLister said:

it is not up to the dining staff/management to make up their own rules.

Who do they think they are - to tell you in what order you have to eat your meal?🙄

That is exactly the question - I'm going to ask the maitre if I run into that problem.

Who does he think he is - denying me to eat 2 mains together?

He's not my mother!

Edited by cruiseboy89130
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, firts said:

Wondering if anyone has experienced the one entree at a time on wonder of the seas

Dined in the MDR twice on our recent Wonder sailing and our waiter enforced the 1 entree rule the one time 1 asked, asked for the steak on lobster night and was told 1 at a time.

35 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Who do they think they are - to tell you in what order you have to eat your meal?🙄

That is exactly the question - I'm going to ask the maitre if I run into that problem.

He's not my mother!

As a precursor ...I agree completely , 

However , keep in mind 2 things 

1) It is not the Maitre that is denying you , He is simply an employee doing as his employer has instructed and 

2) As much as it may not sit well with us , RCL does have the right to make up and enforce whatever rules they choose , and for now it is the new reality.

Depending on how much blowback from this and any other new policies they put in place , It will either be here to stay or it will revert back. It is up to each of us to choose where and how  to spend our cruise dollars .

Voicing our displeasure in post cruise surveys , clearly our greatest power in these cases.

JMO

Cheers

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for all the info. it seems there is a lack of understanding  policy in the Royal Kitchen.

Hopefully we will have a waiter/waitress that wants to comply with the term complimentary.

36 minutes ago, firts said:

Thank you everyone for all the info. it seems there is a lack of understanding  policy in the Royal Kitchen.

Hopefully we will have a waiter/waitress that wants to comply with the term complimentary.

The meals ARE complimentary, what's the issue?  That you can't have multiple entrees served to you at once?   You can have more than one, but they will bring them one at a time.  But they are complimentary. Other cruise lines are moving to charge for addional entrees beyond two, so far Royal hasn't done that.   But at what 'off the menu' land restaurant where you are given a menu, and are served by waitstaff, not a 'all-you-can-eat-glutton-fest', are you able to keep ordering entree after entree?   Pretty much nowhere.  There is almost always a limit to 'complimentary', no matter what the business is providing.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Talking about food waste, would also be a good reason to have the food being served by staff at Windjammer at the stations permanently.

You do know that all of the food in the Windjammer goes into the trash cans at the end of service and when foods hit their hold times. Actually, the same is true for the MDR. When foods waiting to be dished out hit their hold times and at end of service, all of that gets sent to the grinder and released as fish food. 

For us, when the Windjammer crew were serving food after the restart, there was a lot more waste because what they dished out was way way way more than we would normally take ourselves. And when they tried to serve 2 pieces of bacon, we would just stand their until an "appropriate quantity" was put on our plates. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rockmom said:

The meals ARE complimentary, what's the issue?  That you can't have multiple entrees served to you at once?   You can have more than one, but they will bring them one at a time.  But they are complimentary. Other cruise lines are moving to charge for addional entrees beyond two, so far Royal hasn't done that.   But at what 'off the menu' land restaurant where you are given a menu, and are served by waitstaff, not a 'all-you-can-eat-glutton-fest', are you able to keep ordering entree after entree?   Pretty much nowhere.  There is almost always a limit to 'complimentary', no matter what the business is providing.  

A cruise isn't a land restaurant. You can't compare the two. Food has always been a huge part of cruising. I don't think anyone likes having their meals micro managed like they are 5 yrs old.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You do know that all of the food in the Windjammer goes into the trash cans at the end of service and when foods hit their hold times. Actually, the same is true for the MDR. When foods waiting to be dished out hit their hold times and at end of service, all of that gets sent to the grinder and released as fish food. 

For us, when the Windjammer crew were serving food after the restart, there was a lot more waste because what they dished out was way way way more than we would normally take ourselves. And when they tried to serve 2 pieces of bacon, we would just stand their until an "appropriate quantity" was put on our plates. 

It's a cruise and a vacation. An over abundance of food is and always has been a huge part of the cruising experience.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rockmom said:

My issue is rather simple, Sometimes my husband and I like to order one of the pasta entrees Alongside our individually chosen entree. Not always sometimes.  Sorrento's pizza does not make you finish 1 slice of pizza before you can go up and get another. Just my personal issue.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

It's a cruise and a vacation. An over abundance of food is and always has been a huge part of the cruising experience.

I've got a secret for you... the "experience" is changing (again).  

And if anyone actually believes the dining staff is actually deciding this on their own, I have a bridge to sell you.

There is NOTHING in the cruise contract that ENTITLES you to two entrees delivered at the same time.  Sure, you can ask, and the request may be honored, but they don't HAVE to.  

I'm sure there are plenty of people on the board who can talk about "changes" to cruising over the years... I've never experienced them, but I've heard about midnight buffets, chocolates on your pillow at turn down, enforced formal nights, etc.  

If you don't like whatever, vote with your dollar.  That will get RCI's attention. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

Dined in the MDR twice on our recent Wonder sailing and our waiter enforced the 1 entree rule the one time 1 asked, asked for the steak on lobster night and was told 1 at a time.

Did you push back on the stupid rule? Or did you just accept it?

15 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

He's not my mother!

There seems to be a difference between a sit down restaurant and a buffet.  In a sit down restaurant, with the large number of passengers in the room, the waiter must serve those passengers their meal and the kitchen needs to focus on producing the orders as they come in.  It is really important for the super majority to get their food quickly and mostly without any gaps for each serving.  

On the other hand, a buffet is designed for those that want to heap food on a plate.  

He is following a set of rules, to insure the majority of their enjoyment, and if you get the early seating, you can than go to the buffet later.  

5 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

There seems to be a difference between a sit down restaurant and a buffet.  In a sit down restaurant, with the large number of passengers in the room, the waiter must serve those passengers their meal and the kitchen needs to focus on producing the orders as they come in.  It is really important for the super majority to get their food quickly and mostly without any gaps for each serving.  

On the other hand, a buffet is designed for those that want to heap food on a plate.  

He is following a set of rules, to insure the majority of their enjoyment, and if you get the early seating, you can than go to the buffet later.  

You totally didn't get the point!

3 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Did you push back on the stupid rule? Or did you just accept it?

I just accepted it, I ate my meal and as usual my wife who ordered the steak (which was good and properly cooked) couldn't finish so I had half of hers.  The lobster was good, not great.  When asked if I wanted my second entree later I denied it as I no longer wanted it.  I will say with the new menu's and the staffing we experienced our 2 MDR meals were very efficient and paced to our liking. That second entree would have come out quick enough if I had ordered it.