Cancellation due to serious illness: can passenger get a refund or change date?

2 hours ago, TeRriii said:

If you have a friend who coincidentally also a doctor, then you can ask your friend to "make" something related to Covid for your sick friend.

They need to have a PCR test that shows a positive result, very hard to fake that as it needs to have certain key elements on the print out. . And no reputable provider would fake a result. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ryder101 said:

So did any of it work? Talking to Royal? Checking with credit card?

She was supposed to have a biopsy today which was canceled because the doctor had an emergency and she is waiting for it to be rescheduled, and then for the results. However her blood work, Pet scan, MRI and constant pain  seem to be pointing in the direction of a relapse.I’m hoping that the biopsy is negative, but I was trying to plan ahead if if isn’t. She actually doesn’t know I’ve been looking into this. Just trying to take things off her plate since she has enough to worry about. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeRriii said:

If you have a friend who coincidentally also a doctor, then you can ask your friend to "make" something related to Covid for your sick friend.

Thank you for trying to help, but I know she wouldn’t feel comfortable with that. 

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

They need to have a PCR test that shows a positive result, very hard to fake that as it needs to have certain key elements on the print out. . And no reputable provider would fake a result. 

When I had COVID a couple of months ago I only had to give Royal a picture of a positive home test with my ID in it -   I think the current policy only covers cruises thru April

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 10:12 AM, dleahy4444 said:

We are a group of 24, booked through the group booking department so everyone paid in full by the final payment date of 2/6/2023. The sailing itself is 5/7/2023, so about 50 days out. A member of our group has a number of health problems as a result of battling a very serious disease. Her son is also on the sailing but in a separate cabin. They do not have travel insurance. At the time that they booked she was feeling ok, but since then has suffered a relapse. If she is not well enough to travel and has a doctor’s note to that effect, will RCCL issue a refund or at least a credit toward a future cruise date? How about for the adult son? He is her caretaker and one of the reasons he booked the trip was to help her during the sailing.  Anyone with any insight on this? Thank you 

Here's an idea I haven't seen anyone throw out yet ...

You stated you are a group of 24 . If everyone in your group formed your own type of insurance pool of sorts , you could all chip in $100 bucks to your friends to help recoup !!

I feel this type of option is always overlooked when people just look for and expect someone else to 'help' .

I'm only on page 2 of this thread so apologies if someone has thrown this out there

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

Because if all names change they consider it a new booking and it's sold at the current price, which is generally much higher. 

I am not understanding 

If it is considered a new booking and sold at the current price has it not just been 'Resold' ?

A similar experience happened to us for our Christmas Cruise. My husband had to have surgery in November which led him unable to walk for an extended period of time. We had not purchased insurance either. With a doctors note, we were able to get some money refunded and some money for future cruise credit. We did lose a small amount but with the Doctor's note provided and many many phone calls, we were able to get more than we would have without. 

6 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

She was supposed to have a biopsy today which was canceled because the doctor had an emergency and she is waiting for it to be rescheduled, and then for the results. However her blood work, Pet scan, MRI and constant pain  seem to be pointing in the direction of a relapse.I’m hoping that the biopsy is negative, but I was trying to plan ahead if if isn’t. She actually doesn’t know I’ve been looking into this. Just trying to take things off her plate since she has enough to worry about. 

What about an online fundraising page. The rest of your group could chip in and you could see what could be done here as well. She might have a good patch after treatment and you can rebook her and son last minute for a week she is feeling well. Last minute cost more but with fundraising money and her health taking advantage of a good couple of weeks might be the best and only memories the two of them can have at this point. Maybe enough can be raised to go full out first class last minute. $5 or $10 X hundreds of people reading this could help a lot. And given what your saying she would need a trip planned no more then 7 days in advance. The good weeks pop up and you must make the most of them. And she doesn't need to know if she's to proud till it's a done deal. Think about it.

Edited by Ryder101
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ryder101 said:

What about an online fundraising page. The rest of your group could chip in and you could see what could be done here as well. She might have a good patch after treatment and you can rebook her and son last minute for a week she is feeling well. Last minute cost more but with fundraising money and her health taking advantage of a good couple of weeks might be the best and only memories the two of them can have at this point. Maybe enough can be raised to go full out first class last minute. $5 or $10 X hundreds of people reading this could help a lot. And given what your saying she would need a trip planned no more then 7 days in advance. The good weeks pop up and you must make the most of them. And she doesn't need to know if she's to proud till it's a done deal. Think about it.

That is very nice and thoughtful of you. Thank you for your concern and suggestion. I don’t think we will do it though. If she is out the money, it is what it is. She will have much greater problems to deal with. Let’s hope for good news and that she can make the sailing and all thus isn’t and issue. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

You stated you are a group of 24 . If everyone in your group formed your own type of insurance pool of sorts , you could all chip in $100 bucks to your friends to help recoup !!

I feel this type of option is always overlooked when people just look for and expect someone else to 'help' .

I'm only on page 2 of this thread so apologies if someone has thrown this out there

But that would mean owning their oversight.

I am not understanding 

If it is considered a new booking and sold at the current price has it not just been 'Resold' ?

yes, but the OP is still out the entire fare, just the same as their current conundrum.

Royal can resell the cabin, the current occupants can not.

Someone else did suggest it, and I just responded. I’m hoping that she will get good news and be able to make the sailing but if she can’t and they are out the money, I don’t think that will matter that much to them because the situation would be dire and they will have bigger problems.
When I originally posed the question I thought perhaps someone knew of some mechanism for refunds or future credit in situations of serious illness. But the answer is a resounding No. So if the money will be lost, so be it.  Everyone in the group doesn’t know each other, but having her family chip in to recoup the money list is a good idea. Maybe it will make her feel a bit better 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mimiunb said:

A similar experience happened to us for our Christmas Cruise. My husband had to have surgery in November which led him unable to walk for an extended period of time. We had not purchased insurance either. With a doctors note, we were able to get some money refunded and some money for future cruise credit. We did lose a small amount but with the Doctor's note provided and many many phone calls, we were able to get more than we would have without. 

Thank you. It is still uncertain if she will be able to cruise or not but when we know for sure we will begin to make calls. From the posts here I don’t think we will be successful but doesn’t hurt to try. 

10 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thank you. It is still uncertain if she will be able to cruise or not but when we know for sure we will begin to make calls. From the posts here I don’t think we will be successful but doesn’t hurt to try. 

Due to her medical situation, she probably wouldn’t have been able to purchase trip insurance due to her medical issues anyway.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Due to her medical situation, she probably wouldn’t have been able to purchase trip insurance due to her medical issues anyway.

When you put down a deposit there are a bunch of third party insurers who will waive pre existing conditions if you buy the policy 2 or 3 weeks after putting down the deposit. There are also cancel for any reason policies.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

When you put down a deposit there are a bunch of third party insurers who will waive pre existing conditions if you buy the policy 2 or 3 weeks after putting down the deposit. There are also cancel for any reason policies.

That is true about certain third party insurers waiving pre-existing conditions.  The only caveat is that the person who is to be insured needs to be medically able to travel on the date the insurance is purchased.  

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

yes, but the OP is still out the entire fare, just the same as their current conundrum.

Royal can resell the cabin, the current occupants can not.

Ok, I got it now . I was putting to separate posts together and misread the context. I was thinking the forst to mention meant RCI should accomodate because they would be able to resell the cabin . After rereading the original , makes perfect sense

Thx

Cheers

On 3/19/2023 at 10:29 AM, dleahy4444 said:

I posed this question with the hopes of getting some input from people that had a similar experience, As an experienced cruiser and traveler I’m well aware that they should have opted for the insurance. They are not experienced. They made the booking themselves on the telephone with the group booking agent so I don’t know what, if anything,  was discussed about trip insurance.  Regardless, the insurance was not purchased. No need for a lecture on what should have been done, when it’s too late to do anything about it. I’m also not “blaming RCI” for anything. I however do expect that a business that I have been loyal to for many years would show some compassion when someone in my group is in a difficult situation. if not, lesson learned.

to the few responses that wished the ill passenger well, thank you 

Since you know these people and are so experienced why would you have not passed along some advise about purchasing insurance? What does your being loyal with a cruise line have to do with them?

9 minutes ago, odie1024 said:

Since you know these people and are so experienced why would you have not passed along some advise about purchasing insurance? What does your being loyal with a cruise line have to do with them?

I was not involved in the booking process, nor am I the group organizer. I learned of this many months after the booking, when I heard that her medical issue may have come back, and if she is going to be in treatment she would be unable to cruise. It’s been my experience that many companies will at times will seek to accommodate long time customers. As a member of the group with a higher tier than the individuals involved I thought perhaps I could somehow intercede on their behalf.  The answer from the people on this thread is that nothing can be done.  There have been a few helpful suggestions which I will implement. There have been many,  many post highlighting the fact that she should have gotten the insurance, which is something that at this point can’t be done. There have also been suggestions that I think I’m “special” etc.  When I posed the question I was merely trying to figure out how to help someone out.  A simple “nothing can be done”  answer is appreciated as are the helpful suggestions, the well wishes for person possibly facing a devastating diagnosis. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:46 AM, dleahy4444 said:

Wow that is awful. I’m sorry all of that happened to you.  It is terrible that they would not issue at least a credit for a future cruise, just as a matter of good will. I’m sure my group member and her son wish they had gotten the insurance but this would be only her second cruise and his first. It just didn’t occur to them. I know the rules are the rules, but there should be some compassion for someone seriously ill. 
  I myself am Diamond Plus, but if they do not offer them some type of an accommodation under the circumstances I’m not sure how “loyal to Royal” I’ll be in the future. As it is, the customer service for the group booking had been a nightmare. This would be the final straw. Hopefully I’m worried about nothing. She is awaiting some tests results this week and im praying that she be well enough to travel. If she isn’t hopefully RCCL will issue at least a partial refund or credit. I guess we will see…

If you're Diamond Plus you obviously know that there is no cruise line (not just Royal) that will refund or give a future cruise credit for an issue like this.  I am earnestly praying for the healing and ability for them to cruise.  I have been in that exact situation when a friend of my son's couldn't go and he lost the cruise fare and airfare.  It really stinks, but it's not a compassion issue and all lines are the same.  It's too late for this trip but travel insurance is the only way to guarantee recouping of funds this close to travel.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

If you're Diamond Plus you obviously know that there is no cruise line (not just Royal) that will refund or give a future cruise credit for an issue like this.  I am earnestly praying for the healing and ability for them to cruise.  I have been in that exact situation when a friend of my son's couldn't go and he lost the cruise fare and airfare.  It really stinks, but it's not a compassion issue and all lines are the same.  It's too late for this trip but travel insurance is the only way to guarantee recouping of funds this close to travel.

Actually I didn’t know that, since I have been fortunate not to have had to cancel a cruise, nor have I known anyone who did so. Since I didn’t know,  that is why I posed the question in the first place.  I asked here first, rather than calling the cruise line, just to get an idea of what options, if any were available. The person involved is still waiting on further testing and results. Thank you so much for your well wishes. Prayers are certainly welcome and appreciated. 

• Like 2