LIVE from Sirena Oranjestad to Barcelona - March 20 through April 10, 2023

JoePDX

Another fine day on Sirena.   Captain and Staff Captain held a very informative Q&A this morning.   Our trivia team scored another perfect game. 🏆   Oceania Club party was today.   There are 386 repeat guests out of the approximate 450 onboard.   Most cruised guest has 405 days onboard Oceania. 

Sticky Buns were an epic FAIL this morning.   They looked good, there was some syrupy goodness in the bottom of the pan.   When I went to slice into it, the knife came to a halt 2/3 the way through.   More elbow power, still no movement.   I turned the bun over and what should be ooey gooey goodness had formed a hard candy layer.  It resonated when tapped with my spoon.   Needless to say not even a bite of Sticky Bun today.   I could have broken a tooth.  😢

Even with that, life is still very good on Sirena.

Joe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoePDX said:

Another fine day on Sirena.   Captain and Staff Captain held a very informative Q&A this morning.   Our trivia team scored another perfect game. 🏆   Oceania Club party was today.   There are 386 repeat guests out of the approximate 450 onboard.   Most cruised guest has 405 days onboard Oceania. 

Sticky Buns were an epic FAIL this morning.   They looked good, there was some syrupy goodness in the bottom of the pan.   When I went to slice into it, the knife came to a halt 2/3 the way through.   More elbow power, still no movement.   I turned the bun over and what should be ooey gooey goodness had formed a hard candy layer.  It resonated when tapped with my spoon.   Needless to say not even a bite of Sticky Bun today.   I could have broken a tooth.  😢

Even with that, life is still very good on Sirena.

Joe

Maybe take that bun to the Head Chef and have him take a bite!!! 🙂 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bravo for your perseverance. I had one disappointing experience and inspected most days and decided it would be the same heartbreak. 

Sirena sounds perfect. It was a year today we boarded for our TA. I am definitely living vicariously through your posts 🙂

• Like 1

This morning was the Oceania Country Fair on the pool deck.  A nice day for it with slight breezes.   This event only happens on crossings.   Each department of the ship man a table with games related to the work they do.   Housekeeping had a stuff the pillow in the pillowcase race, galley a name that spice by smell quiz, Purser department name of the country of the officer.  The crew seem to enjoy the event as much as the passengers.  😊 You get raffle tickets for each game.   At the end they draw tickets to give away prizes.   Jeff won a leather Oceania Luggage tag.   😊🏆

Weather is pleasant today on our last of six sea days.   Tomorrow we arrive in Tenerife.   

Didn’t even try the sticky buns today.   😢

Joe

E262945E-EDB4-49DB-9DE4-92D8C6C75E56.jpeg

4A304CB0-C971-447C-96B0-4160F02FCFFF.jpeg

C279B931-241C-4224-8C11-D2BA415287F7.jpeg

01A7D696-998A-4C72-993B-44FE60607BCF.jpeg

875EAD54-1B53-4C8A-86D8-EFC952BF47A8.jpeg

• Like 2

There was a Oceania County Fair on the pool deck on Nautica in Southeast Asia. All of us really enjoyed it.  We were on a 14 day segment of a much longer cruise but this segment had 4 sea days so this activity was a welcome diversion on the last one.

On 3/23/2023 at 11:14 AM, JoePDX said:

It is Thursday, so this must be Barbados.   😊 There is a point in every cruise where you forget the hustle of embarkation day and unpacking and the ahh moment takes over.  That happened to me as I was getting ready for the day.   We have 18 more nights on board.   And are about to start the crossing with six days at sea.   🛳️.  I love the feeling that there are so many more days to enjoy shipboard life and the ports we will visit.   We have met so many delightful people onboard.   A great experience so far.

Dinner last night in the GDR.   Expert service again and the food meeting all expectations.   The zucchini wrapped jumbo shrimp was just as good as I remembered.  For dessert I was forced to have the Limoncello Soufflé along with some Humphry Slocum Meyer Lemon Pound Cake Ice Cream.   Thanks to those on Cruise Critic who sang its praises..it really is that good. 😊 OK I will fess up, I had it at lunch too.   

Last nights show, Broadway Bound, used the cabaret style Sirena Lounge expertly.   The talent of the singers, which are all new to Sirena this voyage, is impressive.   Truly a memorable show.

I will end with some thoughts on the crew.   We are being pampered in every way.   Is everything totally perfect no, but pretty darn close.   And I would be an absolute nitpicker to mention the couple of “less than” experiences we have had.

Gary is the cruise director and handles those duties well.   There are just over 400 on this cruise so no where near capacity, but in no way does the ship feel empty.    Again last night the GDR was hopping full of happy diners.

Happy to answer questions.

Joe (with Jeff in tow)

Thanks for doing this Live. I have been taking notes on what to order. Careful on those double desserts of yours, we don’t want shortages when we board on Monday 😉 

Looking forward to our Portimao excursion!

We will be in 6086 which is the 2nd to the last veranda cabin on the port side AFT.

Now kinda worried about the noise or vibration from the motors.

Just now, commanders said:

Thanks for doing this Live. I have been taking notes on what to order. Careful on those double desserts of yours, we don’t want shortages when we board on Monday 😉 

Looking forward to our Portimao excursion!

We will be in 6086 which is the 2nd to the last veranda cabin on the port side AFT.

Now kinda worried about the noise or vibration from the motors.

Haven’t seen shortages of anything major.   Even dessert.  😂 Last night at dinner they were out of a couple of the white wines by the glass, but another 10 or so to choose from.

Haven't noticed any major vibration in the Grand Dining Room which is below your stateroom, except when docking or departing.

Joe

• Like 1

Today we arrived in Tenerife.   First land in six days.   We loved every sea day.

We eat nearly all lunches and dinners in the Grand Dining Room.   Food has really been wonderful and the service warm and professional.   Never a wait for a table for two.

Just when we thought the production cast had given us their all they knocked our socks off with another superb show.   Last night was “Acoustic Sounds” at take on MTV unplugged. The Sirena Band, String Quartet and the cast all occupied the dance floor for a great show.   We continue to be amazed.   😊

Our our trivia team took second place yesterday.  

I spoke with Jennie the Oceania Club Ambassador.   Itinerary release for the rest of 2025 has been postponed until September.   She had reported during her talk that it would be April.   Allura itineraries will be released in August. 

CD Gary had announced that Country Fair was only offered on crossings, but it would make sense to have it on itineraries with multiple contiguous sea days.

We are off today with a private guide to explore Mt. Tiede and La Laguna with five other Sirena cruisers.   

Life continues to be wonderful on Sirena.

Joe with Jeff in tow

• Like 6

Hi Joe,

Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed your 'LIVE from', and appreciate your upbeat, very positive attitude and observations. A refreshing change from some recent, disgruntled posts. Looking forward to meeting you and maybe spending some time with you and Jeff on Vista, November next year. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Jan 

• Thanks 1

A terrific day here on Tenerife.  We met our guide Cristo and headed off for Mt. Teide. 

We were all left astounded by the natural beauty of this National Park.   Seemed everywhere we looked the landscape changed.   NASA’s rovers for the Apollo and Mars mission were tested in this landscape.   We also learned about all the major films made here in Tenerife.    We started at sea level and climbed up to about 3,000 meters.   

Guide took us to a local restaurant for Tenerife specialties grilled cheese, potatoes with red and green sauce, stewed chickpeas and a mixed plate of bbq’d meats.   We all left stuffed.

Next we ventured to the historic capital of Tenerife, La Laguna.   So much history and architecture to take in.

Our guide was the best.   Native Tenerifian, Iron Man, photographer, entrepreneur and former banana plantation worker.   

We were tired and hot after making it back to the ship.   Currently cooling off in Horizons with a virgin Pina Colada.  Ah to be home!  😊❤️🛳️

Tonight is a pool deck dance party under the Spanish stars from 9 pm to 10:15 pm.   We set sail at 11pm.   Next stop Santa Cruz de La Palma.

Joe

0721E71C-E216-421D-964A-B1E7EE06BFAE.jpeg

1D069B96-81DA-49B2-BC51-4B3E423BD42C.jpeg

FEC38BA0-5380-46CD-831C-83C2F09C0A32.jpeg

AD382617-CCD0-462F-9E45-84C3B3981F84.jpeg

5D096B01-55F5-4FC5-A0A8-71AB7F9048F7.jpeg

C667E5A2-BE5B-4C0D-BF44-660E83C81FA6.jpeg

66D0CD67-1A33-4B19-A91A-202D35E9679D.jpeg

CA446026-FC56-4C00-8B71-F6DF40A0CDC1.jpeg

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jazznruby said:

Looking forward to meeting you and maybe spending some time with you and Jeff on Vista, November next year. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Jan

We are looking forward to the Vista TA.  We have two more TAs to complete before then.    Will be anxious for the initial reports once she sets sail in May.  

We look forward to meeting you!  Meeting other Cruise Critic people really makes our cruise experiences special.    

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 2

We also had a tour with a Tours by Locals guide today. We did the Northwest Coast. Just stunning. John took us to one of his favorite hole in the wall restaurants, where we also had fried cheese and the wrinkled potatoes with red and green sauces. We also had garlic mushrooms, a stew of chicken, beef and chickpeas, and grilled octopus. Also some local wine. 
This is one gorgeous island. 
Was nice to get off the ship for 6 hours. 

• Like 1

Just now, susiesan said:

I will be in Tenerife in sept. from Sirena. Can you give me the contact info of your guide/driver? I'm lining up excursions now.

You can email me direct susiesan8 at gmail.com

Muchas gracias.

Cristo was a substitute for the guide I had engaged.   I have sent a request for his email address, once I get I will send.   

Joe

13 hours ago, JoePDX said:

Today we arrived in Tenerife.   First land in six days.   We loved every sea day.

We eat nearly all lunches and dinners in the Grand Dining Room.   Food has really been wonderful and the service warm and professional.   Never a wait for a table for two.

Just when we thought the production cast had given us their all they knocked our socks off with another superb show.   Last night was “Acoustic Sounds” at take on MTV unplugged. The Sirena Band, String Quartet and the cast all occupied the dance floor for a great show.   We continue to be amazed.   😊

Our our trivia team took second place yesterday.  

I spoke with Jennie the Oceania Club Ambassador.   Itinerary release for the rest of 2025 has been postponed until September.   She had reported during her talk that it would be April.   Allura itineraries will be released in August. 

CD Gary had announced that Country Fair was only offered on crossings, but it would make sense to have it on itineraries with multiple contiguous sea days.

We are off today with a private guide to explore Mt. Tiede and La Laguna with five other Sirena cruisers.   

Life continues to be wonderful on Sirena.

Joe with Jeff in tow

Congrats on your Trivia win!! 

• Thanks 1

Hi All - 

Yesterday was Santa Cruz de la Palma in the Canary Islands.   No tour, just got off and walked.   Very charming town with a well maintained historic quarter full of interesting shops and restaurants.   The walk to this area is about 15 minutes if you don’t use the port shuttle.   Knock off maybe 8 minutes if you do.   A charming low key day.

I have given up on sticky buns for this trip.  😢

Joe

7687AF82-4DC4-4717-9765-67FCB4145B76.jpeg

1671D777-FE6C-42FE-AB07-FB2036A3A9A8.jpeg

5E024160-F680-424E-A9ED-4F9446F75A35.jpeg

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1

Trivia was 30 minutes earlier today than normal.   Half our group missed it, arriving just as we finished scoring.    For the first time we didn’t earn any Big O points.   😢😢😢

Final session tomorrow at 10 am for this leg.   Our whole team except for Jeff and I are disembarking in Lisbon.   We have already identified two replacements for next leg.   😊

Edited by JoePDX
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Recently there have been a lot of mentions about shortages onboard Oceania’s ships.   We have not seen anything missing.  Jam is readily available in Terrace Cafe and I have seen the Jam “towers” in the GDR.   Peanut butter is also available.   

Our meals have been universally very good to outstanding.   Service professional and personal.   So many amazing crew.

There has also been discussion lately of Oceania passenger ages/demographics.   We are me 58 (until next Friday 😊) and Jeff 59.   We are definitely some of the youngest on board.   That said - our fellow passengers are an active group, interesting and ready to explore.   Yes a few walkers and just a couple power chairs.   But overall not a “nursing home on the sea” as some have characterized.    This meshes with our previous three Oceania cruises as well.

The first leg ends tomorrow in Lisbon.   We have met so many wonderful people on board.   Both through the roll call and just from on board interactions.   The goodbyes have already started.   

The next leg, seven days to Barcelona has no sea days and is sold out.   According to a source on board the new passengers are predominantly Spanish - makes sense as it is also Holy Week.  There are also about 160 current passengers continuing on.

Our trivia team tied for first place today, so much better than yesterday.   We also took the first place for the whole cruise, earning 20 bonus Big O Points.   😊

Cloudy today and chilly.   Boat Building competition at 3:00.   I will post some pictures later.   

We booked another crossing for 2025.   Marina from Rio to Lisbon.   Love those sea days as I have mentioned.   

All continues to be good on Sirena.

Joe & Jeff

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Another of those long voyage traditions at sea.  Boat building competition had four entrants.   All passed the building requirements and all four sailed the requisite 30 seconds despite wildly churning seas in the pool.   😂🌊🛶

Winner was not a boat but a whole Gilligan’s Island accompanied by the full cast.  

Great creativity.  

E9E0E964-33E7-473E-B4C9-E1497297A784.jpeg

2F5F531B-8F0B-416A-B10B-8D775E91833F.jpeg

D3AD0355-1081-4C16-9EB3-5CF6F754ED15.jpeg

0242C61B-95E6-44BA-AF31-CA48972DCA44.jpeg

43B3959B-84A5-4DBD-97FD-DA7CE75A47B4.jpeg

D2128D95-424F-42C9-A0D3-4CA79359806F.jpeg

DA0EC6B7-C2E8-405B-875A-213F5D81D39C.jpeg

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1

Yesterday was Funchal, Madeira.   I had a guide arranged for six of us off the ship.    His vehicle unfortunately was just not sized for six “adults”.   So after about 20 minutes we called uncle.   He brought us back to town and dropped us in the historic district.   He was apologetic and very gracious refusing our offers of a tip.  So we instead wandered as couples, some took the cable car and basket ride.   Throughout the area local artisans were selling their creations from white tents.  Travel requires flexibility.   So even though we didn’t see what we planned we all still had great adventures.  Yesterday evening I had a full refund from Tours by Locals - the guide contacted them within minutes of dropping us off.   So Tours by Locals will remain on my preferred vendor list - an ethical company.

In port with us yesterday were Riviera, Silver Dawn and Mein Schiff Herz.   

Last nights show was “Showdown” a take on America’s Got Talent.   Another great show by the talented cast of four singers and two principal dancers.

07AD61B3-8C3C-4809-953E-39585156D593.jpeg

BA292273-1C41-4C08-8128-904AFC35BA6B.jpeg

09D16BE5-4C82-433F-97CB-ED0D6A1BAC2A.jpeg

268B3627-D04B-4708-A1D6-89F5A51EE038.jpeg

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1

Some food pics today from lunch …

Taste of the World today was India for me.

Jeff had Yogurt Marinated Chicken.

Then I took in Tea for only the second time on this leg.

All is very good on Sirena.   ❤️🛳️

69F760D3-94D0-4051-97E2-50B72C7248F9.jpeg

9B4FB4A4-B2B7-4F2D-9B00-5FE3C6B1EBAF.jpeg

7804970B-0287-4FF4-BDC5-4B1E9E843A26.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve enjoyed this live critique visiting some of the ports we did last fall.

Let me explain some of the discrepancies reported on various cruises. Oceania/NCLH has several major restocking ports. Miami, the home port is obviously one. So any ship, such as this one on a TA, starting from there should reasonably expect to be completely restocked.

In Europe, Lisbon is another major restocking port for the NCLH fleet. The issues arises when one’s Embarkment port is not a major restocking port. How well was the ship last replenished and how hard have certain items been hit become ms the issue. As JPR, and others, have stated our cruise had a multitude of out of stock items because significant items were not delivered to the ship in Buenos Aires. I believe others reporting shortages likewise embarked at non priority NCLH ports, and the ships had to wait until it hit a major NCLH warehouse port for a complete resupply. This is not to say that minor necessities were not brought aboard In minor ports, but that major resupply of certain food stocks and alcohol products didn’t occur.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I’ve enjoyed this live critique visiting some of the ports we did last fall.

Let me explain some of the discrepancies reported on various cruises. Oceania/NCLH has several major restocking ports. Miami, the home port is obviously one. So any ship, such as this one on a TA, starting from there should reasonably expect to be completely restocked.

In Europe, Lisbon is another major restocking port for the NCLH fleet. The issues arises when one’s Embarkment port is not a major restocking port. How well was the ship last replenished and how hard have certain items been hit become ms the issue. As JPR, and others, have stated our cruise had a multitude of out of stock items because significant items were not delivered to the ship in Buenos Aires. I believe others reporting shortages likewise embarked at non priority NCLH ports, and the ships had to wait until it hit a major NCLH warehouse port for a complete resupply. This is not to say that minor necessities were not brought aboard In minor ports, but that major resupply of certain food stocks and alcohol products didn’t occur.

Our transatlantic left from Aruba , not Miami.   And at least one cruise before ours also left from Aruba.    

I am not suggesting other cruises have not had shortages or outages, just that it has not been our experience.

If NCLH brands only ensure proper stocking from Miami or Lisbon, then it does not take a rocket scientist to see how faulty that permise is….    What about ships that sail full seasons in Asia or Downunder or South America….or Eastern Med…. Or the ATW that circumnavigates the globe.

Just my two cents…

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 3