Gratuities and tipping

lvpet

1 minute ago, memoak said:

Try going on Carnival short cruises

Carnival is not called the "Double Wide at Sea" for nothing LOL! They usually have the best fights(at least from what I've seen on Youtube.

Edited by rbtan
additions
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

most of the World doesn't have American nonsense of tipping . 

yes .... well ...  Americans.... what can you say. 

Oh wait I know .... square peg round hole . ..  😉

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Teechur said:

You're welcome! 😁

lol I prefer to spend time in Italy now. But jokes aside this nonsense now in Canada as well. We used to have 10% tipping and max 13% in very good restaurants,but now they bring you  a machine and it's start from 18 and 20% expected.

10 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

We usually bring gift cards for tipping.  On this last set of cruises, though, our Princess room steward (best we've EVER had) said that they are no longer required to turn in cash to the pool.  I asked how much he actually got from the "pool" and he laughed derisively and gave us a look that clearly said "not much."  So, we're going back to cash, tipping individually for those who provide great service.

Do you really think that it is any of your business how much he gets,  Did your steward ask you how much money you make?

DON

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Do you really think that it is any of your business how much he gets,  Did your steward ask you how much money you make?

DON

If I was to ask the steward how much he got from the pool, I would be asking for a percentage amount, not a dollar amount. I may be wrong, but I think when Incognito1 asked the steward how much he makes from the pool, he was asking about a percentage amount.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 8:31 AM, MTNest93 said:

The $110 PP PD includes your drink package, wifi, and gratuities.  It is not all gratuity.  I believe the gratuity daily allocation for Reserve Class is $15.50 (or $17 depending on when you booked).  IMHO that's a pretty small amount to be split among all crew members so we plan to tip additional.  However, it's not required so use your own discretion.

Sorry, my post was redundant - this thread was much longer than I realized.

Edited by Tiggerontheseas

24 minutes ago, damiross said:

If I was to ask the steward how much he got from the pool, I would be asking for a percentage amount, not a dollar amount. I may be wrong, but I think when Incognito1 asked the steward how much he makes from the pool, he was asking about a percentage amount.

Makes no difference - just a different inappropriate question.  To restate my statement - if I asked you as a total stranger whom I just met what percentage of your income was from salary, what percentage was from overtime pay and what percentage was from investments what would you think.  

I can't figure out why some cruisers feel that it is OK for them to ask cruise staff questions about their personal lives.,  Is it really any of our business?

DON

8 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

lol I prefer to spend time in Italy now. But jokes aside this nonsense now in Canada as well. We used to have 10% tipping and max 13% in very good restaurants,but now they bring you  a machine and it's start from 18 and 20% expected.

The machine is used to track income of waitstaff. It's why when in Canada, we tip in cash.

14 hours ago, david63 said:

Although it is difficult to try and work out by my calculations the Plus package is based on an average of 10 drinks per day at an average price of $10 including tips

It very well might be but you've still paid for 15 drinks + tips even if you didn't order that many. 

12 hours ago, memoak said:

Feeling a little judgmental today ?

Only if you feel it applies. 

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:
16 hours ago, david63 said:

Although it is difficult to try and work out by my calculations the Plus package is based on an average of 10 drinks per day at an average price of $10 including tips

It very well might be but you've still paid for 15 drinks + tips even if you didn't order that many. 

It all depends on how you look at it. I view it as a dollar amount spent on coffee, bottled water, and alcoholic drinks plus tips, not 15 alcoholic drinks. 

Goodness I've needed at least two bags of popcorn for this thread but it has delivered! I'm falling out over calling a tip before service a bribe. I guess you could make an argument in that direction! No shame here at all - I tip/bribe our steward right up front, tip the bartenders and whoever else is serving me. As someone who has worked in hospitality most of my life I know how much those tips mean. I'm also kind and not rude to them - just as important. And I also know that yes, I will get preferential treatment but not in the way some think.

In the hospitality biz, everyone should get treated to a certain standard regardless of tips or not. The tippers get a little more, though not at the cost of anyone else getting what they "deserve" as a customer. Besides it makes me feel like a baller. Now, take some popcorn and pass it around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2023 at 10:09 PM, donaldsc said:

DON

You apparently misunderstood me or are having a bad day.  I asked because I wanted to know if he was getting the lion's share of the prepaid "pooled" tips.  There has been a lot of discussion regarding the pooling, with a lot of different experiences.  I shared mine.  If you don't care to read it, the ignore feature works very well.

3 hours ago, Napagirl said:

Goodness I've needed at least two bags of popcorn for this thread but it has delivered! I'm falling out over calling a tip before service a bribe. I guess you could make an argument in that direction! No shame here at all - I tip/bribe our steward right up front, tip the bartenders and whoever else is serving me. As someone who has worked in hospitality most of my life I know how much those tips mean. I'm also kind and not rude to them - just as important. And I also know that yes, I will get preferential treatment but not in the way some think.

In the hospitality biz, everyone should get treated to a certain standard regardless of tips or not. The tippers get a little more, though not at the cost of anyone else getting what they "deserve" as a customer. Besides it makes me feel like a baller. Now, take some popcorn and pass it around.

Somehow we almost always get great service from our room steward by leaving on the autotips, treating him as a human being always saying hello and thank you, picking up after ourselves and if deserved some extra dollars as we leave the ship. Never felt we had to tip before getting any service. Being in the hospitality business you should know what tip stands for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Micahs Grandad said:

Somehow we almost always get great service from our room steward by leaving on the autotips, treating him as a human being always saying hello and thank you, picking up after ourselves and if deserved some extra dollars as we leave the ship. Never felt we had to tip before getting any service. Being in the hospitality business you should know what tip stands for.

"To insure promptness" is NOT the meanuing.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Napagirl said:

As someone who has worked in hospitality most of my life

And in that time how many times have you been given a "tip" at the outset before doing anything for the customer?

Edited by david63

13 hours ago, Napagirl said:

I tip/bribe our steward right up front, tip the bartenders and whoever else is serving me.

I'm in the @Napagirl camp, but to each their own.  Tip.  Don't tip.  Whatever.  Not my money nor my business.

58 minutes ago, david63 said:

And in that time how many times have you been given a "tip" at the outset before doing anything for the customer?

While not necessary, I'd argue that tipping a steward up front is not without context: it usually accompanies special requests that will be provided shortly thereafter and/or throughout the cruise AND it's quite likely that you won't see the steward at some planned time so giving the tip then is purely practical.

• Like 3

We ask to shake hands with the people we want to give an additional tip and have a bill in the palm of our hands as we leave the ship or before late in the cruise. On the last day, or the day before we do the additional tipping if we don't think we will see them on the last day as we are leaving. The staff seem to understand the palmed money and we have never had to hand it to the folks in front of others. Money always moves to the pocket of the person who deserves it.

• Like 1