Gratuities and tipping

lvpet

35 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

When given in advance of service I call it a bribe and that's not a reward it's "take care of me first".

Yep. Bribes are bribes. Money given in advance in return for preferential treatment is a bribe. Cruisers shouldn't feel they have to engage in bribery to get appropriate service.

Edited by 1965
  • Like 2

i've tipped a room steward an extra $100 after they delivered my robes i asked for...  is that bribery? 

what about the $25 to my waiter on my first night bc it was my anniversary tu and they wrote happy anniversary in chocolate on a flaming plate? 

how about the towel person $10 when they got me extra towels?

each one resulted in them "remembering" me:   were those bribes? or making someone day... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, FrankieJayIII said:

it was pretty nice to have a seat at the pool reserved for me,  nice things showing up during dinner and lots of towel animals. i will say that

Are you saying a Princess employee reserved a seat at the pool for you?

16 minutes ago, FrankieJayIII said:

each one resulted in them "remembering" me:

Probably more along the lines of how much will I get if I do it again.

One thing to bear in mind with the crew of any ship on any cruise line is that they are in it for themselves and come next week you will be forgotten about and they will be targetting some other passengers who they hope to make some money off.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, david63 said:

Probably more along the lines of how much will I get if I do it again.

One thing to bear in mind with the crew of any ship on any cruise line is that they are in it for themselves and come next week you will be forgotten about and they will be targetting some other passengers who they hope to make some money off.

entrepreneurship!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

To be sure that I understand this.  By specifically omitting "and any other discretionary cash gratuities", Princess condones crew keeping for themselves, any, and all cash tips that they personally receive.

Exactly.  Princess has deliberately omitted cash tips from its sharing program.  It includes in that program only the "Crew Appreciation" which is an automatically charged fixed amount and the 18% Service Charges. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

I am going to chime in here.  Tipping is an amazing bribe system that only people who aren't tight with the coin can understand.   I tip because I watched my parents and sister tip everyone all the time.  The service literally does go up a notch even when you aren't tipping every single time

Head waiters-  the people who seat you-  the bartenders-  the room steward-  the person who does something extra special for you.   

A tip is remembered with a "nod", a handshake, a smile.   All of this and saying names goes a long way.   It's just a nice thing to do for someone making your day better; you make their day better with a little appreciation money.    Get about $200 in 5s and $100 in 1s and practice tipping.    You will become a celebrity, at least in your own mind.   

I don't even do it for the treatment or the perks, or anything other than wanting to help those helping me, and making their lives a little better, because I can.   The perk does come because i treat them well and they treat me well.   I want this to make sense to people.   Those who get it, get it.  Those who don't don't.  

I've literally walked into a restaurant and suddenly "my table" appeared because of my past "kindness".    I've been on a cruise ship and snacks, and treats, and drinks "show up"...   yes I am paying for them... but I'm also reciprocating the kindness. 

One day on my first cruise ever... this bartender was so kind to me and my wife, so I gave $20 on top of the package we had.    You would have thought I was a celebrity the rest of the trip... sometimes none, sometimes a few extra dollars.   

Kindness and money go a long way.   But, don't do it because you feel compelled.  Do it because you are a good person. 

Sounds like you are looking for recognition and not recognizing exceptional service which is a foundation for tipping culture.  You seem to know a lot about crew behavior and how to enhance it, and have been schooling others,  yet you started a thread "Gift Bag Ideas, Crew Appreciation?). Curious.

• Like 2

i'm ok being a "mark" for a week or two to get special treatment for a few extra dollars :.. that's why there are different cabins; packages, levels of service.  i choose to play the next level of service through extra tipping.    if you can't beat them, join them. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Sounds like you are looking for recognition and not recognizing exceptional service which is a foundation for tipping culture.  You seem to know a lot about crew behavior and how to enhance it, and have been schooling others,  yet you started a thread "Gift Bag Ideas, Crew Appreciation?). Curious.

i am just stirring conversation.   sometimes you stumble upon human behavior and response to stimuli and take note.  if the condition exists and you want to reap the benefit; then you will engage in the behavior.   it's a 1x tip which elicits a response... and yes they are conditioned to expect more from you which enhances their already excellent service.   just recognize the service is all im suggesting.    such a hot topic here 

Edited by FrankieJayIII
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, david63 said:

One thing to bear in mind with the crew of any ship on any cruise line is that they are in it for themselves and come next week you will be forgotten about

And this affects us how? We tip and get the best of everything while we're onboard. And crew makes some additional cash. Win win for us and them. We could care less if they remember us.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

i've tipped a room steward an extra $100 after they delivered my robes i asked for...  is that bribery? 

what about the $25 to my waiter on my first night bc it was my anniversary tu and they wrote happy anniversary in chocolate on a flaming plate? 

how about the towel person $10 when they got me extra towels?

each one resulted in them "remembering" me:   were those bribes? or making someone day... 

If you let them know in advance that it is your Anniversary then you get special treatment.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, david63 said:

Still waiting for an answer to this!

this is not even a question.  

we don't feel that way at all.

we feel like tipping enhances the lives of those helping us.   if they treat us different that is on them.  

i don't feel special.  i feel generous.

i don't feel entitled. i feel like blessing those who don't have what i/we do. 

we are all on a  cruise on vacation.  some buy suites and get perks. we tip bc we can,  we want to.   i was in the service industry during college and tips go a long way,  

i have the ability to pay it forward, so i do.

i do not EXPECT anything in return but it's human nature to do good onto others who have done good to you. 

if i may make a suggestion.   start tipping people for no reason and see how it makes YOU feel. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, So_Tweetie said:

In the context of cruising, ships leaving out of Australia do not add gratuities to prices and fares because Australians "do not have a tipping culture". 🤷‍♀️

However, despite cruising out of Australia, if one books the cruise in the USA gratuities are added to the cost. If you book the cruise from Australia the cost of the gratuities are included as part of the fare.

14 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

Get about $200 in 5s and $100 in 1s and practice tipping.   But, don't do it because you feel compelled.  Do it because you are a good person. 

I feel that I am a good person and no, I'm not going to take $300 with me for extra tips. I don't need to spread a bunch of cash around to be a good person. If that is your definition of being a good person I feel sorry for you.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

i've tipped a room steward an extra $100 after they delivered my robes i asked for..

I think many of us felt that we were having a rational discussion until you posted that remark.

I, for one, am done. 

• Like 2