Dress code adherence

migdet71

My wife and I have sailed Celebrity a number of times. We enjoy getting a bit spiffied up. Last time we cruised we took my parents, my dad is not a "lets dress up" guy. He played along for the first chic night, but the second time he wore a Snoopy Hawaiian shirt with jeans. He got so many compliments that night and not one criticism. I imagine there are pretty a few stuffed shirts who complained under their breath, but he enjoyed himself, we enjoyed ourselves, he brought joy to numerous people who loved seeing that shirt. Ultimately if anyone had a problem that says more about them than anyone else. 

My advice - do you. Don't worry about others. I've never seen a single person turned away from MDR on Celebrity, and I've seen some interesting outfits you'd expect to see on Carnival not Celebrity. 

Just my .02. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PacaCruiser said:

My advice - do you. Don't worry about others. I've never seen a single person turned away from MDR on Celebrity, and I've seen some interesting outfits you'd expect to see on Carnival not Celebrity. 

Just my .02. 

On one of our cruises, we saw a man turned away for wearing pajama bottoms. My husband was politely asked to change his shorts one night (he just wasn't thinking) and they seated me to wait for him to come back.

Forget the "do you" advice. It's not all about you, your behavior impacts others. Thinking otherwise is just selfish. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

On one of our cruises, we saw a man turned away for wearing pajama bottoms. My husband was politely asked to change his shorts one night (he just wasn't thinking) and they seated me to wait for him to come back.

Forget the "do you" advice. It's not all about you, your behavior impacts others. Thinking otherwise is just selfish. 

Pajama pants may be a bit of a stretch. Curious as to when your husband was turned away. On my last 3 cruises I've seen numerous shorts in MDR on chic nights. And we can agree to disagree on the rest of your post. I've experienced too much in life to let what someone else is wearing affect me whatsoever. That is the province of smaller minds. 

10 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

The problem is if one is selfish they don't think being selfish is a negative...The narcissist test is surprisingly simply and only has one question which is..."Are you a narcissist?"  An actual narcissist would not be embarrassed to admit they are one...Wear I live you encounter a lot of them

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PacaCruiser said:

Pajama pants may be a bit of a stretch. Curious as to when your husband was turned away. On my last 3 cruises I've seen numerous shorts in MDR on chic nights. And we can agree to disagree on the rest of your post. I've experienced too much in life to let what someone else is wearing affect me whatsoever. That is the province of smaller minds. 

Agree, I always say I see (dine most of the time in Blu)  "dress code violations" every sailings including on Chic nights...When other passengers complain to the M'D will the M'D approach the offenders on the way out and tell them to not wear the offending item next time

I'm not pointing out any specific person, many seem to makeup a vague story in their head about being turned away when it never happened in hopes others would be influenced to follow the suggested dress code

24 minutes ago, PacaCruiser said:

I'll admit the incident with the shorts was a number of years ago.

I enjoy seeing all the different "chic" outfits and I can't say I notice the others. However, I do know that a number of people on these boards dislike the casual clothing, probably half the people we see on Chic night are dressed appropriately and the cruise line asks that we dress for the night, so we do too. 

Don't you dress up to go to a good restaurant?

1 hour ago, PacaCruiser said:

I don’t know.  My parents always told me I had a high IQ.

How come you approve of shorts, but not pajama pants?  What rules should be enforced?

On 4/15/2023 at 1:43 PM, zitsky said:

Why do people think that tearing holes in their clothing is “fashion”?  The 80s called.  They want their clothes back.

That is not fashionable.  That is shopping at Goodwill.  These people need to move out of their parents basements,  get a real job that pays money to where they can afford real clothing,  and pull their pants up so that their underwear is not showing.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

That is not fashionable.  That is shopping at Goodwill.  These people need to move out of their parents basements,  get a real job that pays money to where they can afford real clothing,  and pull their pants up so that their underwear is not showing.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I swear I’m going to NYC Fashion Week next time just to see what designer makes these clothes with holes in them.

9 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Sorry, I can't agree. I still remember my parents complaining that my bell bottoms were dragging on the ground. It was the style!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

Sorry, I can't agree. I still remember my parents complaining that my bell bottoms were dragging on the ground. It was the style!

Bell bottoms dragging on the ground is a whole different issue than underwear dragging on the ground.

😂

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

Bell bottoms?  That you soooo much for making me relive that trauma.

Ever hear of flood pants?  That’s what I wore.  (We were poor.). That’s why I’m bitter and resentful about the shorts, the backward baseball cap and the ripped jeans.  All those things that reek of high fashion which I couldn’t afford as a kid.

30 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Ever hear of flood pants?  That’s what I wore.  (We were poor.). That’s why I’m bitter and resentful about the shorts, the backward baseball cap and the ripped jeans.  All those things that reek of high fashion which I couldn’t afford as a kid.

We called them high waters.  That is what happens when you grow 4 inches over night ...

Surprised that the worn out jean look is back in.

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

We called them high waters.  That is what happens when you grow 4 inches over night ...

Surprised that the worn out jean look is back in.

Our area of the state had a history of flooding so I wonder if that is where the name came from.

1 hour ago, patty1955 said:

Bell bottoms are back in fashion this year.  Pajama pants were in fashion a few years ago.

On a cruise sometime around 1998 two teens came to dinner in bathrobes  were turned away. The Maitre'd di not think they were funny. Yet on a cruise in the last ten years (not on Celebrity) there was a bathrobe night. 

On 4/23/2023 at 1:17 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

The problem is if one is selfish they don't think being selfish is a negative...The narcissist test is surprisingly simply and only has one question which is..."Are you a narcissist?"  An actual narcissist would not be embarrassed to admit they are one...Wear I live you encounter a lot of them

Overheard: “… but enough about me! What do YOU think of my dress?”

• Haha 2