Tipping question

Snowbaby369

Currently onboard Rotterdam. We are dining in Orange Club.  We seldom get the same waiter and table .  We were on Niew Statendam  in October and always had the same area and waiters.  We made good connections with them and they picked up on our likes and preferences quickly. At the end we gave tips to them. 
This time the staff in CO is not as personable, and  I notice nobody seems to be making these connections.  
How do I handle tips at the end ?  I know tips are included, but I have always given extra to my waiter at the end .  

Edited by Snowbaby369
Spelling
  • Like 1

When we are in Club Orange we ask the restaurant manager on Day One for a table we like and let them know we usually eat around that same time. They hold the table for us and therefore we have the same wait staff all the time. They have been great and knew our preferences almost instantly. But if you don’t prefer a set time & table location, I guess it’s similar to anytime open seating in the Main Dining Room.

• Like 1

If you aren't getting to know your wait staff, I wouldn't feel the need to leave an extra tip unless they were exceptional one particular evening, and then I'd leave something at the time.

• Like 3

We liked them so much on the NS that I wish I could tip them all.  They were awesome.  I did receive a list from the manager of all of their names so that I could give special recognition to them all.  They were excellent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

When we are in Club Orange we ask the restaurant manager on Day One for a table we like and let them know we usually eat around that same time. They hold the table for us and therefore we have the same wait staff all the time. They have been great and knew our preferences almost instantly. But if you don’t prefer a set time & table location, I guess it’s similar to anytime open seating in the Main Dining Room.

What you describe is the experience we had this past October .  Exactly. However the staff is not making any effort this time on this ship.  We told them first night we are the same time each night .  They’re not trying yo personalize at all this time, or try to remember us. I almost had to go to the bar last night to get wine . 

4 minutes ago, Snowbaby369 said:

What you describe is the experience we had this past October .  Exactly. However the staff is not making any effort this time on this ship.  We told them first night we are the same time each night .  They’re not trying yo personalize at all this time, or try to remember us. I almost had to go to the bar last night to get wine . 

Sounds like the manager isn’t managing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, albingirl said:

We liked them so much on the NS that I wish I could tip them all.  They were awesome.  I did receive a list from the manager of all of their names so that I could give special recognition to them all.  They were excellent.

Agreed on NS .  I know all ships  are different,  but after being on NS .. I’m so shocked that Rotterdam is polar opposite . It obviously the management.  Staff on NS were so happy and went the extra mile to get to know you 

I was unsure about a lot of things, so I went in search of information and found this university study on tipping. The common feature of all forms of tipping is the voluntary and discretionary nature of the tip: the consumer is free to choose how much to tip, if at all. This definition excludes service charges, imposed gratuities, and imposed tips which have nothing in common with voluntary tipping. 
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23748777_The_Social_Norm_of_Tipping_A_Review

Tipping in advance was traditionally the way most people used to tip, to insure promptness and most service providers actually respond best to this form of tipping. Especially useful when one is competing for the attention of over-worked short staffed service providers.

I did tip in advance last year on a cruise only to discover that the maitre d' was switched a day after i had tipped him. Then we went through 3 different butlers that were taken out of service due to covid and one steward.

On our most recent cruise I met with the maitre d' to express my desires and then asked him if he was going to be our maitre d' for the entire cruise. He assured me he was and to 'express' my 'appreciation' that everything would be as I requested, I tipped him. Just at the moment of his hand and mine clasping an officer approached and witnessed the act. I asked the officer if he had anything to do with the dedicated restaurant and he said he was the manager of all the restaurants. I proceeded to go into my pocket again for another tip 'in kind' when the officer stopped me and said for him it is not necessary. The maitre d' chimed in and said "whenever you feel the urge to tip my boss to give it to me. I will make sure he gets it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Snowbaby369 said:

Currently onboard Rotterdam. We are dining in Orange Club.  We seldom get the same waiter and table .  We were on Niew Statendam  in October and always had the same area and waiters.  We made good connections with them and they picked up on our likes and preferences quickly. At the end we gave tips to them. 
This time the staff in CO is not as personable, and  I notice nobody seems to be making these connections.  
How do I handle tips at the end ?  I know tips are included, but I have always given extra to my waiter at the end .  

We always bring a wad of 5's, 10's and 20's in the event we do not get the same table and/or waiters every meal. Tip $5 for breakfast for the two of us, $10 for lunch and $20 for dinner.This is on top of any service charge or gratuity. One will notice the following day, if one is seated in the same area more prompt service. We had to do this last month as our main dinner waiters were reassigned for lunch and breakfast to other venues. At the end of the cruise we tipped our dinner waiters the equivalent of $20/ dinner each. Of course one is not obligated to tip anything extra.

• Like 1

Now if one is really serious about their meals being 'special'. One must tip in advance. Especially when one is new to a cruise ship and does not have a 'track record'. We learned this years ago witnessing the treatment received by a couple on RCCL in the Coastal Kitchen. They had a 'track record' being suite paying Pinnacles. The end of the cruise she had the chef summoned from out of the kitchen and gave him a tip envelop as well. 

Be careful.. on our last cruise last month we had tipped the chef $100 on a previous cruise in January and in February she brought things we never requested to the point at the end we felt obliged to tip her $200 for the weeks cruise.

We were in CO on the Rotterdam in February.  We told the wonderful hostess Genesis that we wanted to sit with the same waiter for every meal.  She said easily accommodated us for every breakfast and dinner.  Our waiter quickly learned our preferences such as our before dinner drink choice, no bread and tea after dinner.  We were happy to provide an extra tip to the hostess, server and his assistant on the last day of our cruise. 

• Like 1

We are sailing on the Rotterdam next week and have a question regarding Club Orange staff.  We are wondering if Edgar is still the Maître D for breakfast and dinner.  When we sailed in December on the Rotterdam, he mentioned that he was going home for a month in February but would be back in March.  We have a special gift for him and will not take it if he has transferred to another ship, or did not sign another contract.  I understand that Rini is still the hostess so many she knows.  

Anyway, any info would be greatly appreciated if anyone sees this question before before Sunday, March 26th.

Tipping gets complicated. We have been taking longer trips and never sure how much extra to leave.  On a 35 day cruise I am not going to leave the cabin steward more than $100. It is above - it is extra I also don't tip the bartenders. We do tip at end of voyage waiter and assistant if sitting with same waiter

You pay and pay and pay. Just seems never ending

• Like 2

1 hour ago, floridababa said:

You pay and pay and pay. Just seems never ending

Remember that you are the one that is doing it.  There is absolutely no requirement or expectation for extra tips, other than the daily service charge.  If you choose to give more, then don't complain about it.

Never a requirement but expectation I must say there is. We actually had a cabin steward be snippy with us because our $25 tip was not enough for 7 days. I know we didn't have to leave anything but he was quite rude the final morning.  Great service deserves extra!

2 minutes ago, floridababa said:

Never a requirement but expectation I must say there is. We actually had a cabin steward be snippy with us because our $25 tip was not enough for 7 days. I know we didn't have to leave anything but he was quite rude the final morning.  Great service deserves extra!

WOW!  I wonder how many people do not tip anything extra to room stewards?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, floridababa said:

Did he specifically say that he didn’t appreciate the tip or do you think it may have had something to do with the pressure of having to turn over 35 (+/-) cabins in a very short period of time?

4 hours ago, Torquer said:

Remember that you are the one that is doing it.  There is absolutely no requirement or expectation for extra tips, other than the daily service charge.  If you choose to give more, then don't complain about it.

I thought the whole idea behind the daily service charge was so we didn't have to think about tipping. There you go...its all figured out for you. That's what we were told. Now we are expected to tip on top of tips. We do, but I do have mixed feelings. It does seem like the staff does hope for more. No crime there and you can't blame them, but I  did expect that the daily gratuity charge covered it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

I thought the whole idea behind the daily service charge was so we didn't have to think about tipping. There you go...its all figured out for you. That's what we were told. Now we are expected to tip on top of tips. We do, but I do have mixed feelings. It does seem like the staff does hope for more. No crime there and you can't blame them, but I  did expect that the daily gratuity charge covered it. 

I would guess that extra tipping is not as common as you may gather from reading these comments on cruise critic.    I would be surprised if more than 30% of the passengers tip extra for anything.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, floridababa said:

When did this happen and on what ship?  That's shocking behavior that would be a major problem for the employee if their boss was aware.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I would guess that extra tipping is not as common as you may gather from reading these comments on cruise critic.    I would be surprised if more than 30% of the passengers tip extra for anything.   

Well, I  do sometimes and I  think you are right. My husband always reminds me that we already tipped but I  guess I  am soft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The question of tipping seems to bring up a lot, do I, do I not, how much, how little. This is a more North American thing. In Europe gratuities are included in the price.   

• Thanks 1